FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 2/28/11 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/3556-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-2-28-11-a.html)

MunaAmin 03-02-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 38138)
[/B]

Low-carb diets may modestly improve some heart disease risk factors more than low-fat diets."[/B]

I always thought that low carb equals high fat and/or sodium (bacon, cheese) how can this be good for your heart?

You know whats good for your heart? Beans. As my vegetarian book says,

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart
The more you eat, the more you ..... have a healthy heart :D

01gt4.6 03-02-2011 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by MunaAmin (Post 38223)
I always thought that low carb equals high fat and/or sodium (bacon, cheese) how can this be good for your heart?

You know whats good for your heart? Beans. As my vegetarian book says,

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart
The more you eat, the more you ..... have a healthy heart :D

I thought that as well but I've seen also that low carb is better for your heart than low fat, who knows? That's why I said there is so much information on there that contradicts itself.

Mern 03-02-2011 08:27 AM

Mike, I'm not trying to sell anyone on low carb. All I know about that article and that study is what was in that link I provided. Note that diabetics weren't included in the study.

It was back in 2008 that the American Diabetes Association first took anti-low carb language out of their guidelines. My most recent knowledge is that 2010 article in question.

Salad dressings: The manufacturers of low fat bottled dressings take out the fat to save calories, but that decreases flavor, so they ADD SUGAR. But my doctor said that modern research shows the brain prefers ketones (the the burning of fat) for fuel rather than carbs, so full fat is better for the brain than low fat dressings. But you can make your own dressings using good fats like olive oil that also help reduce cholesterol.

Carb reloading: I don't know about stuff like that. My low carb diet is a LIFESTYLE-no more than 30g carbs less fiber per day. Over 40g, my blood sugar gets out of whack. I manage my blood sugar without meds.

Fat & protein ratio: depends on the individual's needs. My doctor believes that too many carbs is more of a health risk for ME than dietary fat intake, even though I'm 5'1" and 228 lbs. But losing weight will also help reduce my blood sugar.

I'm not going to argue low carb vs. low fat. I'm not an expert. I'm just repeating what my doctor and the American Diabetes Association said.

My suggestion for you would be to check with your doctor and see what he/she recommends for YOU and to NOT put stock in books and personal trainers with guidelines that do not consider 2008-2011 research/ADA findings.

quinnesec 03-02-2011 08:35 AM

Yea, Lizzie!

Glad you found us! You'll fit in just fine! It's too hard to do it alone. Within a few days, you'll know all of us "losers" as well. Looking forward to more of your posts! quinn

01gt4.6 03-02-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 38228)
Mike, I'm not trying to sell anyone on low carb. All I know about that article and that study is what was in that link I provided. Note that diabetics weren't included in the study.

It was back in 2008 that the American Diabetes Association first took anti-low carb language out of their guidelines. My most recent knowledge is that 2010 article in question.

Salad dressings: The manufacturers of low fat bottled dressings take out the fat to save calories, but that decreases flavor, so they ADD SUGAR. But my doctor said that modern research shows the brain prefers ketones (the the burning of fat) for fuel rather than carbs, so full fat is better for the brain than low fat dressings. But you can make your own dressings using good fats like olive oil that also help reduce cholesterol.

Carb reloading: I don't know about stuff like that. My low carb diet is a LIFESTYLE-no more than 30g carbs less fiber per day. Over 40g, my blood sugar gets out of whack. I manage my blood sugar without meds.

Fat & protein ratio: depends on the individual's needs. My doctor believes that too many carbs is more of a health risk for ME than dietary fat intake, even though I'm 5'1" and 228 lbs. But losing weight will also help reduce my blood sugar.

I'm not going to argue low carb vs. low fat. I'm not an expert. I'm just repeating what my doctor and the American Diabetes Association said.

My suggestion for you would be to check with your doctor and see what he/she recommends for YOU and to NOT put stock in books and personal trainers with guidelines that do not consider 2008-2011 research/ADA findings.

I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't and couldn't agrue any of it b/c it's been YEARS since I tried to go low carb, so I really am clueless. Would it be possible for me to take a peak at one of typical days?

quinnesec 03-02-2011 09:03 AM

Hope,

First, thanks for the kind words! You made my day. :D

How did I do it? Well, it may not be for everyone, but my MD suggested low carb and low fat. (It was actually a triglyceride-lowering diet for cardiovascular health). I lowered my triglycerides and, as an added bonus, I lost weight. At my highest, my calorie limit was 1200. As I reached my goal weight, I had to lower it to around 1000. BUT that's because I'm 48, my metabolism is slowing, I can't to heavy duty workouts due to an MVA, I don't have job stress and I'm no longer chasing little ones around. I simply don't burn a lot of calories on an average day. You can do it, too. It just takes a lot of experimentation to see what your body responds to- not only in weight loss, but how do you feel while losing weight. If you feel like crud, you have to keep tweaking. :)

Jen,

Thanks for the great info and links. Sounds like you have some injuries as well. It makes working out interesting, doesn't it? Congrats on the body fat drop. Try taking your measurements every week, too. You'd be surprised that your measurements will drop, even if your weight doesn't. It kept me going when the scale wasn't moving last year. ;) You're doing great!

Mern and Mike,

Choose low-fat AND low-carb... ;) Remember the old Pritikin Plan? That's kind of what my diet looks like when I'm reducing. It's strict, but hey, it works and is extremely healthy.

01gt4.6 03-02-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by quinnesec (Post 38236)

Mern and Mike,

Choose low-fat AND low-carb... ;) Remember the old Pritikin Plan? That's kind of what my diet looks like when I'm reducing. It's strict, but hey, it works and is extremely healthy.

That's way too strict for me plus the only way to keep my protein from being rediculously high would be to cut my cals too much. I probably wouldn't have enough energy to make it through my workouts.

azrunner6 03-02-2011 09:14 AM

@ Quinnesec-
1200 calories seems like not very much at all, IM around 1400 now and really can't imagine dropping 200 anywhere, Im trying to keep up on the fruits and vegetables. What was your daily food selection like?
@Liz
Welcome, Im new to here also only a few days running but love the support of it all; with all of us striving to improve our health and bodies :)

mhibdon 03-02-2011 09:28 AM

Hey ladies, I haven't posted in a while: school is picking up again, so I'm just kind of like.."Blaaaaah."

Though I've decided to switch to yellowtail & tuna sashimi instead of my typical sushi. Does anyone know any reliable calorie counters for sashimi? And how to get over guilt for eating?

quinnesec 03-02-2011 09:30 AM

I'd have to look back on my food logs, but I was never hungry. My plate at all three meals was loaded with fruits, veggies and lean protein. (Almost more veggies than I could choke down. lol) If you look up a triglyceride lowering diet, you'll see what I mean. I can't do the heavy gym workouts and jogging that most of you do so I can get away with less calories. I can honestly say that I rarely cheated... I just didn't feel like setting myself back.

It's clean, simple, old fashioned food. An apple, not an apple pie. One ingredient foods.