FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Does anyone gain weight when they get sick? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/3508-does-anyone-gain-weight-when-they-get-sick.html)

dancerinjade 02-23-2011 12:25 PM

Does anyone gain weight when they get sick?

Hi all,
So I've come down with a sinus infection. I've been getting progressively worse since Friday, so I haven't been to the gym for almost a week now. When I get sick, I don't feel like cooking, so I've had take out a few times. I've also had a frap and some ice cream because it helps my itchy throat. Not to mention drinking a ton of water! I'm really scared to step on the scale and see what damage I've done! Why can't I be one of those people that loses their appetite when they are sick??

poohcl13 02-23-2011 12:51 PM

Hve you tried?

Have you tried instead of ice cream like an Italian ice? Or really cold water? And what are you eating? I usually try to stick with Chinese soups when I don't feel good (wonton and hot and sour), but whatever you have could help too like those progressive soups that are light? I think that as long as you aren't COMPLETELY going off the beaten track you should be fine.

outdrsgrl05 02-25-2011 04:51 PM

Sorry to hear you're sick. .I'm the same way right now. What soothes a scratchy, itchy throat is. .buy a couple of lemons. .squeeze the juice out of two in a cup, add a spoonful of honey, then add boiling hot water. Enjoy. .this should help. I remember when I was coughing, and someone made this for me. It helped where cough syrup wouldn't. I was reading on some website that the lemon dries out the congestion, and the honey soothes your throat.

Lizzycritter 02-25-2011 05:01 PM

I do, because when I'm run down I crave carbs. What I'm really after is energy, which I don't really get from the heavy starchy junk I eat when I'm not feeling well, but I crave it anyway.

LLH748 01-17-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter (Post 37724)
I do, because when I'm run down I crave carbs. What I'm really after is energy, which I don't really get from the heavy starchy junk I eat when I'm not feeling well, but I crave it anyway.

Sounds just like me! Im sick with the flu and on top of that got a chest infection. Ive gained 5 pounds so far. And Im so mad! I dont think people are really believing how sick I am since I have not lost weight. I did lose some in the first week when it was the flu but later when I developed the chest infection I had to eat more just to have a minimal level of strength and I had sick-people-food like chicken and rice soup and fresh fruit and fruit juice and on came the pounds. Im gonna be working my ass off LITERALLY when I get well. Such wonderful misery to look forward to as sick as I already am. Damn!