Notices

Motivational Thread Starting 2/14/10

Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM
FitDay Member

All I can say about this thread is that you are all wonderful and motivating.

mhibdon, Fast food meatballs? Oy, I'm getting heartburn just reading your post.

Mia, keep the smilies coming. It reminds me of this job site I used to have, the GC on the job had a thumb sign, when things were good the thumb pointed up, when things were bad the thumb pointed down. I could always tell as I pulled into the parking lot what sort of meeting we were going to have.

Mern, I have to say you are a true inspiration, and I love to see your aerobic progress, from 5 minutes to 22 1/2 minutes in just a few weeks, girlfriend you're rockin' it.

Mike, I think it's time to man-up and get that mani-pedi, in scarlet. It'll match your blisters...

Stacey, the neighbor lady and I are going to sign up for a Zumba class together, I told her about your costume and after Zumba is over maybe she and I should find a belly dancing studio.

Cassie, congrats on getting back to "pre-holiday" weight, I'm jealous as all get out, but happy for you all the same.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
FitDay Member

Tuesday Report Card

Health and fitness goals:

1. Keep calories to 1,500 weekdays and 2,000 weekends. NO 2,266, Almost 1,565
2. Workout 6 hours. 80 min, 32 min (total 1:52)
3. Drink 96oz water. YES, YES
4. Calorie deficit 3,500 for the week (average 500/day). -505, -910 (Total 1,415)
5. Limit grain based carbs to 2 servings/day or less. NO 3 YES 2
6. Eat 5 servings of fruits & veggies/day. NO 4, YES 5 1/2
7. Keep carbs to 45% or less. NO 47%, YES 40%

Non-fitness goals:

8. Apply mascara 5X. YES NO
9. Average 6 items/day from the "LIST". NO, NO 1
10. Clean out one small area of the basement. NO, NO
11. Clean out car, the forecast says 50ish on Friday, so hopefully then. NO, NO
12. Clean 2 rooms daily (15 min each) and 1 load of laundry. 2 out of 3, YES
13. Get 2 pieces of DD's bloomer dress finished!!! NO YES Bloomers are done, bonnet in progress
14. Call Grandma. NO, NO I'm so lame
15. Register for race and call SIL about same.NO, NO

Today was much better than pretty much all last week. Made some progress, and was even able to keep the carb monster in check for the most part.

Last edited by almeeker; 02-15-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
FitDay Member

Default Reporting for Monday and Tuesday

my goals for this week are:
  • Use a water bottle at work and home
yes 3 liters both days
  • Upgrade my workout on the elliptical from manual to 'intervals'
Yeh! 24 minutes at interval setting both days
  • Balance ball workout 5-7 times/week - Yes Tuesday
  • Balanced pie chart 30/30/40 - Yes Both days
  • Make sure my DH knows he is appreciated and loved - actually I think he is the one who is appreciating me and treating me like a princess...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:56 PM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, congrats to you on your health and fitness achievements today! I can't tell you how good it made me feel to get kudos on my exercise. Thank you SO much! 22 1/2 minutes might seem lame to many, but it's a real challenge for me. I told my husband today I'm not sure I can add a whole minute at a time from here on out to work up to my goal of 30 minutes, but I'm going to try hard. I may have to add just half a minute, but even shorter baby steps will still get me there.

Mike, unfortunately those 12g carbs yesterday and 19g today were not in nutritionally balanced meals because of not feeling well and having a poor appetite. For some reason whatever hit me gave me a temporary aversion to protein.

mhibdon, I totally agree with you. It's so important to eat nutritionally balanced meals, less fast foods and less convenience foods with all their preservatives and ingredients I can't even pronounce. I'm not a nutrition expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I cook MOSTLY from scratch now so I know what I'm eating. But, then again, I don't work outside the home, so I have more time to cook than most of the members here. Good for you: when life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. Happy more healthful eating!

Jacqueline, you go girl! Two fantastic days to report and a husband who treats you like a princess!

Last edited by Mern; 02-15-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
FitDay Member

Default I survived!

Phew! I made it through today. I lost myself in the beginning, did my exercise and got to work and felt a bit depressed but I think that’s thanks to the lovely mood swings of my period… (sorry Mike) =P

I thought I went overboard on Calories since I ate more in my lunch meal than usual but I still have 200 to spare so I’m doing good!

Muna – I meant with the game that I bought lol I just got it and I love it! and Stacey it’s actually for the Kinect- the upgrade of the Wii for the Xbox 360 and it’s so fun! It’s easy to get into and I just wish I had more time to play with it but I’m either sleeping or working but tonight I’m going to try to squeeze some more exercise in =P

Mern – yea I am proud of my boyfriend too, and he’s actually keeping me on track too lol because I wanted to try the Special K diet and this morning he yelled at me for not eating the Special K cereal =P well not really yelled but said “Hey! We’re on the special k diet!” lol.. kind of =P

Diet and such:
1. Drink 96 oz of Water a day, try for an extra 32- 1. Yep, got an extra 16. 2. Got 96 for sure and working on the rest before midnight
2. Exercise once a day (at least) with Biggest Loser 1. Did 4 times that this morning! 2. Yep
3. Workout with the Ab Lounge 10 min a day- add more minutes later 1. Not this morning.2. Not sure about 10 min but 5 for sure!
4. Stick to 1,300-1,400 calories per day. 1. Yep/ 2. Yes
5. Burn more Calories than eaten by at least 1,000 Cal difference 1. Definitely/ 2. Pretty Sure

Non diet and such:
1. Buy a scale - Looks like exercising is rubbing off on the roomies! They're going to buy a scale and look into getting more things for the basement and pretty soon the basement will be the work out room! Woo!
2. College and blaah stuff - I really need to find that paper lol
3. Sort out the room - (iffy) Maybe this weekend =/ I have Friday off woo!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

well tomorrow I am going to try and go to the gym ....I need to
Old 02-15-2011, 03:39 PM
FitDay Member

My goals got a bit whacked today, but I was sickly so I'll give myself a pass for the day. Poor SO had to (almost) literally drag me to the doctor, I'm just too stubborn for my own good since I feel 5000X better now and just hit my cal max with Gatorade.

For any of you ladies who happen to like cultural weight stuff: When I was avoiding my studies I came across a Youtube video of "Super Skinny Me" where an English woman challenges the "Size Zero Mindset"

Health:
1. Drink >1L H2O: Yes No
2. 1300<Devour<1800: Yes Yes! (1800 exactly!)
3. Multivitamin, Vit. D, & Metformin: Yes No
4. Go to Gym (Even if I promptly walk right back out) No No

Life:
1. Sit in the sun for 2 hours: 30mins -
2. Go to Crew Practice: No No
3: Sort Clothes: No No
4. Donate clothes: This is a weekend goal.
5. Finish CITI training: Just added- Working on it!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, there certainly has been the share of folks with nasty bugs going around. I hope all who were laid low are feeling better.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some positive feedback. I hope I can stay at my goal now. Somehow maintaining is just as hard as losing, but in a different way. I have come to realize over the past year that you don't get to goal and stay exactly there...it's back and forth, but keeping the variation small is important (we'll see if I can do that NEXT time).

Mern, I was glad to see that you mentioned cooking mostly from scratch. I think that's important if you can do it. I do work outside the home, but I can also work a lot at home, and make my own hours, so I'm able to do that a good bit. Over the past year, it has really hit home for me how many additives and preservatives are in processed foods and I've started making frm scratch things I used to buy out of convenience...like granola, granola bars, muffins, rice, pancakes, trail mix, popsicles, fruit syrup, even rolls and bread and pizza. Maybe if there is some interest we could get a thread going with ideas; almeeker does a lot of scratch cooking too and probably has a ton of thoughts.

Well, gotta do my progress report and get off, since I have that half-hour before bed goal to abide by!

1. Balance the pie chart (no numbers, just balance). Yep, Yes-not great but acceptable
2. Sleep 7 hours a night. Yep, Yep
3. Turn off all the electronics at least half an hour before bed, and read. No-report from last night, since tonight hasn't happened yet Yep
4. Exercise outside one day this week, preferably two. Not today, Yep
5. Exercise at least once this week with friends and/or family members. Not today Yep
6. Incorporate a stretching/flexibility workout into the mix twice this week. Not yet
7. Dress nicely and make an effort at minimal makeup even if not working that day; the pushed-for-time grad student look is old now. Yep, Yep-worked today, but left on the nice clothes and makeup to run to the store after dinner
8. Do an at-home mani-pedi this week (this is something I won't spend money on). Not yet
9. Use my gift card from Christmas to buy something for myself that is not entirely practical. Will be over the weekend
10. List two things daily that I didn't/couldn't/wouldn't do before that now I do, can, and will. Yep, Yep-putting them in the journal

And of course, with a nod to reality:

11. One office organizational task daily. Nope, come on; it's Valentine's Day! Yep
12. One room's trim painted by the end of the weekend. Will have to wait for the weekend
13. Keep working on short, mid and long range financial plans with hubby. Will also wait for the weekend
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 PM
FitDay Member

Default Wednesday challenge

Stop whatever you are doing right this second (and let's be clear here, I know you are sitting on your butt looking at your computer monitor), drop down and do as many push-ups as you can for one whole minute. It's okay if you have to drop down to your knees, but don't let up for the whole minute.

Okay now how many did you do?

I managed 15 regular and 17 more on my knees. This was after I'd done planks, so my arms were already shaking, I expect your numbers to be higher, now get to it.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 PM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, I chuckled when I saw your instructions. At 64 my problem is that it's hard to begin with to get down on my knees, and when I do, I need help getting up. I can't do even one pushup alone, but I did 22 slow AbSlide contraption reps--akin to rolling pushups.

Jess, let us know how that Special K diet works out for you and your boyfriend.

Rhoda, did you make it to the gym?

mhibdon, glad you feel better. Just curious since you're on Metformin--how many net carbs (grams of carbs less grams of fiber) are you allowed to have in a day?

Cassie, I've heard from others who have reached goal weight that maintaining is just as hard, if not harder than losing weight. I'm glad you have some time to cook from scratch. Let us know if you start a recipe thread because I don't normally venture out into other threads--I'll certainly contribute. What's great is that for those who cook, it's easy to adapt a low fat recipe into low carbohydrate and vice versa. And for those who don't usually cook, they might be surprised to find how easy some recipes are or get some ideas to try some new foods to keep their menus from getting so boring that they give up trying to lose weight or maintain.

My Tuesday achievements were not too good because I was still recovering from a mild virus or something that created poor appetite, aversion to protein, and horribly unbalanced meals. But I'm perfectly OK now.

Food:
Calorie limit 1600, actual 996 (I don't like to go under 1200)
Carbs less fiber limit 25g, actual 18g (not 19 as I thought last night) but 18g is not good with such low protein intake.
Protein goal 110g, actual a dreadful 26g.

Water-dreadfully low. Had to force myself to drink even hot tea.

Exercise-repeated 22 1/2 minutes aerobic walking, but that's still great because my goal today was to reach 23 minutes.

Last edited by Mern; 02-16-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.