Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Clothes Shopping: going from Plus sizes to reg >

Clothes Shopping: going from Plus sizes to reg

Community
Notices

Clothes Shopping: going from Plus sizes to reg

Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 AM
FitDay Member

Default Clothes Shopping: going from Plus sizes to reg

Clothes Shoping probably like most of you, is something you don't like doing snice nothing fits right or looks good on you when your over weight.

So i went clothes shoping today was looking for a nice shirt to wear for a dinner in 2 weeks. i didn't find the nice shirt but got a few other things.

i feel more motivated for sure snice i was trying on some pants and jeans and i'm forsure 1 size down from what i currently wear. i did try the size under that i'm not quite there just yet. i didn't buy those jeans tho since i know that the ones i have still fit enough to last untill the summer months.

but i did buy a pair of jeans, they were onsale for 10$ and they're like 3-4 sizes too small. I tried to see if i could even get them on, just barely able to pull them over my big butt. i measured the spot where the waist band was sitting and figured i need to loose about 6 inches for these pants to even fit nicely. but these pants will be my goal pants for the end of the year (40 ish $ pants for 10$)

also i noticed with shirts i've been buying plus sizes for the last 1 and a half. i noticed with shirts at least i'm in the inbetween stage of the smallest plus size X and regular XL size. i think it's alittle fustrating snice my gut is still pretty large that area for XL shirts are still alittle small. but then also putting on the smallest plus size it's alittle too big.

what did you do when you where at this stage if you were. did you wait till you were small enough to fit in XL? or did you keep buying the smallest plus size?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM
FitDay Member

I find that even when I lose weight I am still convinced that I'm larger than I actually am and since I'm perpetually wearing a belt and love the 80's anyway; I just keep buying the same size until my girlfriend forces me to buy a size down!

I have never been ballsy enough to buy the tiny jeans! I always second guess myself and convince myself that I should wait until the jeans fit for real. Though is probably mostly due to my obsession with weight lifting and interesting hip-thigh ratio.

Good luck! All else fails: You could always try them on once every two months until they fit!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM
FitDay Member

When I started, my closet was full of things that were too small. So for the first several months I just shopped at home. When I'd lost enough that I needed some new things, I didn't buy very many, just enough to tide me over (5 shirts, 5 jeans, 5 bras, 2 outfits for the gym and a 10 pack of underwear) and I also bought the occasional item that was too small when I found it for a steal.

Then I had to come home and clean out my closet. I made a few rules about that, when I could get a pair of jeans on and off without unbuttoning or unzipping, they went to charity. If a shirt hung straight off the bust line without tucking in underneath to show off my new waist, or if the arms started at my elbows it went to charity. I also have rules about underwear, if they are so loose that they pull off your workout shorts, both the shorts and underwear are history. So far I have had to buy new clothing about 4 times. I even had to buy a new coat and snow pants when winter came. The ladies that work at the local Fashion Bug know me and all my children by name.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 AM
FitDay Member

thats not a bad idea to donate your clothes that are too large, makes you not want to gain weight back so that you have to buy new fat clothes.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:26 AM
FitDay Member

It's very liberating to get rid of all those things that don't fit anymore. My mother thought I was nuts, meanwhile I thought it was one of the smartest things I'd ever done for my health. In a way my wardrobe was helping to keep me fat, because I always had fat clothes to fall back on. Now I don't feel like it's okay to put on a few pounds at all. DH would have a coronary if I had to go out and buy new clothes in a larger size. Smaller clothes he's okay with as long as I don't go overboard. For him my weight isn't the issue, he's just a tightwad.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:11 AM
FitDay Member

I dropped about 7 sizes in 9 months, and truthfully, I got really tired of shopping for clothes. I also bought a couple things anticipating the next season that ended up being too big before I had the opportunity to wear them. My advise it to buy a little smaller and get a couple of the cami's out there that have the slimming panel around the midsection. Wearing them will improve the way the clothes look on you which is always a great mental boost, and they also tend to make me stand up straight and tall. Good posture visually sheds pounds.

I donate all my too big clothes and my sister-in-law gave me a hard time about it. She asked "But what are you going to wear once you gain all that weight back?" I told her she was missing the whole point!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 AM
FitDay Member

yeah i see what you guys are saying even tho i'm down one pant size i'm going to wait to the next season where i'd need jeans before buying new ones snice i feel that once it's warm enough to wear shorts i'll be even at a smaller size.

i'd probably keep 1 or 2 things for sentamental value (like my concert t-shirts which i have also gone from XL to L in mens t-shirts)

but i wouldn't feel righ donated my jeans that have been wearing down between the legs. if not i could let my mom use the denim for her sewing. she could maybe make me a purse with my old jeans.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Getting rid of the too large clothes is important. That is likely the reason I am here -- I had lost 57 pounds and got rid of all my bigger clothes except two very expensive wool pants I planned to have made smaller. When I started gaining again and looking at having to buy larger clothes I joined fitday before regaining all I had lost. I'm now able to wear several outfits I couldn't 2 months ago -- even with just 12 pounds gone.

Shopping at a used clothing store -- as well as donating -- can be a solution to the need for interim clothes. You can get something that fits that you don't mind having to donate once you have shrunk again. I have found I can get jeans that have already been shortened by doing that.

We also have clothing exchanges once in a while with my dieting friends. The too large coat I loved looks great on one of my friends. Another friend's dress looked great on me for a wedding.

Mary