Notices

Over 60 and still going

Old 02-15-2011, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Post Over 60 and still going

here I am, 62, going on 63, still trying to get healthier and able to achieve more in my days. I go to the Y and bike, but not real strenuously. I have one new knee and need another one, have a shoulder/rotater cuff problem, and I think varicose veins. I'm having an ultrasound to check the latter in April, so hopefully if I can get rid of some of those I can exercise more strenuously.

guess I'm wondering what others with my physical difficulties do to work up a sweat? I used to run - loved it. that's out of the question now.

thanks for all suggestions and comments.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by coldinminn

guess I'm wondering what others with my physical difficulties do to work up a sweat? I used to run - loved it. that's out of the question now.

thanks for all suggestions and comments.
Hi I'll be 65 this summer and want to be in the best shape of my life. I use my infrared Sauna to build up a sweat. LOL I do use it daily and I think that is part of the reason I can do things now I could not 5 years ago. There are a lot of stretching exercises that can help with toning. Getting aerobic exercise with bad knees can be more difficult.

Are you able to swim or does it bother your knee? I like aquafit. I also find the elliptical trainer good for strenuaous exercise without too much strain on the knees. Is it something you can try? The gliding motion helps. I'm lucky in that my knees have seemed to recover from whatever was going on with them a few years ago. Hopefully you will get that second replacement soon and be able to find some good activities.

Mary
Old 02-15-2011, 01:33 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, I was looking for someone a little older. I turned 70 in January. Began to change my eating habits a week ago and intend to drop 63.5#. I did drop 5 this week and even tho it's water weight, it's encouraging. For exercise, I take clogging lessons (even tho I have 4 left feet) and walk my dog a mile every night. He demands it, which keeps me motivated. I also like to bike, in fact biked in Minn. last year and it was great. I live in Florida and many of my acquaintances have had knee replacement and are doing well with the exercise. My advice...do whatever you have to do in order to keep moving. Another post I read here earlier today said "Try not. Either do or do not. There is no try. Yoda" Hit a positive note with me.
Lois