Notices

Stuck on a plateau club - join me

Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Stuck on a plateau club - join me

Doesn't really matter whether you are 10 pounds down, halfway to your goal, or just trying to shed a couple of holiday pounds, these dang plateaus (or ruts as I like think of them) are FRUSTRATING!

I look at my calorie balance graph and man! I should be losing a pound a week - but NOOOOOO. I know a bunch of you are walking in my Nikes, so go ahead and rant, give it your best explaination, or your best incantation for getting over, under, or through it.

For me I think maybe part of it is because 3 weeks ago I started a really aggressive weight training program (todays work-out: 50 shoulder presses - 35#, 120 push-ups, 90 burpees jumping over the bar, and about a mile run split into 3 sessions with little or no breaks). I know I'm not building much "real" muscle yet, but I suspect I have all sorts of inflammation issues going on - or at least that's my story and I sticking to it!

Pam
Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, Pam, I will climb onto your plateau and join you !

I'm frustrated I can't drop the two pounds still hanging on from the holidays, and even more so, the percentage or two of body fat. I know in my head that two pounds is nothing to complain about. My current weight is nothing to complain about. I think what gets me is that I know I was further along and I can't get to that place again...knowing that I was in my best shape ever, and I can't get that back. Some clothes are just a wee bit too tight, also.

More so than the physical, I'm frustrated with my mental attitude. I'm frustrated that I feel like I'm failing by not getting those two pounds off, or by not being able to stick to a more restrictive calorie schedule for the time it will take to do that. I'm frustrated that I didn't have enough self-control to avoid gaining them to begin with! I'm frustrated that I can't gracefully accept where I am. I know that the key for me will be to work on my mindset. I guess you could say I'm on an emotional plateau as well. So my best guess is to work on the trifecta: mind, body, spirit...and see where that takes me.

Thanks for starting this thread, Pam; it's good to have a place to put it out there. Good luck in moving forward!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

I had been on a plateau for quite a while, couple months, and it took a week's worth of not eating (involuntarily) to break it. Now I'm at 140, and I feel like I didn't "earn" it. How messed up is that? The things we women put ourselves through.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I know that the closer you get to your final weight goal, the more difficult it gets to lose those pounds. But I am beginning to think my body is as stubborn as my brain.

Body: Your not the boss of me!
Brain: Who do you think puts food in your cells
Body: And who do you think triggers those insatiable cravings!
Brain: Oh yeah!
Body: Bring it!

I guess it's game on - brain vs. body!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

I've been losing and gaining the same 5 pounds for 3 months now. For some reason, this time feels like it's gonna stay off. I can see the 120's on the horizon...hope to be off this plateau soon!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nottango
I've been losing and gaining the same 5 pounds for 3 months now. For some reason, this time feels like it's gonna stay off. I can see the 120's on the horizon...hope to be off this plateau soon!
I am sharing the same struggle. I was happy last week when I was finally down two pounds from before the xmas holiday. But after super bowl I am back up those darn two lbs. Well hopefully after Valentines this will come off permanently.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 PM
FitDay Member

We'll be there in time for swimsuit season!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

I'm also in plateau land, but it's not my body that is so stubborn, it's my mouth. I just can't seem to keep to my budget. I've been teaching classes in chocolate making, so my house is full of the stuff and I'm having self control issues. I do really well allllll day long and then at 4:00-4:30 the control blows all to pieces and I eat like 400-600 calories in 2 minutes and then I'm toasted for the day. Nice eh? At the very least I can say I haven't gained any weight.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

almeeker,
I am so impressed that you even try to keep up with your wonderful, creative cooking and baking activities. I loved your stories about gingerbread houses over the holidays and how since you weren't particularly fond of gingerbread it wasn't much of a temptation. But chocolate - that's really unfair .

You know, it really doesn't matter what I'm doing, that 3 to 4:00 PM time has always been difficult for me. Often I'm not really hungry, but a little bored with day, tired of work, but it's not yet time to settle into evening activities. In winter as the sun is starting to set I get a little bluesy. Sometimes, if I can get through it, I'll get a little burst of energy that will take me through till 6 or 7, but mostly I have to fight the urge to snack and/or nap .
Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, Pam - I thought I'd check out some of the other threads to see if anything fit better for me. And I found you here. I admire that you're doing crossfit workouts! My husband does "modified" versions that he gets online at the "crossfit" site--he signs up for the "daily workout". I checked out a gym specific for crossit, but did nothing. I feel I have to get fit first just so I won't embarrass myself! So keep up the good work.

You mention inflammation. Years ago hen I did a marathon, triathlon or extremely hard effort, I would retain LOTS of water for a couple of days. I knew/felt it was related to the workout. Someone explained to me that water is retained in the muscles so they can "heal" and that made sense. You probably already know this.

So what thread would you recommend? Everyone seems to chat between themselves, so I thought I might find one that might be more for "newcomers."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.