Notices

has anyone else tried toning shoes?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default has anyone else tried toning shoes?

Like skechers shape ups, etc.?

I have read they are great for lower backs and high arches and plantar fascitis, all of which I have. I just bought a pair and wore it around my living room and both feet fell asleep. I don't know if it's the shoe or I just need to get a bigger size. I also heavily supinate.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 PM
FitDay Member

I bought a pair last fall, mostly because I came across them for $12 and my MIL had been going on and on about them. She has heel spurs and lower back pain, and said they were the most comfortable shoes she's ever owned. I don't have heel spurs or lower back pain, but I get corns easily, especially if I wear the same shoes all the time. I put them on every now and then and take a long walk. I don't know if they have toned my calves any, but I generally can feel it the next day if the walk was long enough, so I suppose they are doing something. I don't use them to put my feet to sleep though, that's what the elliptical is for....
Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 PM
FitDay Member

I'm wearing a pair of Shape Ups right now! They don't get a lot of use right now because I am using them as indoor shoes until the snow melts and I work 10 hours a day 5 days a week so I try to wear them at work but that can only be done during the night after the baby has gone to sleep and when I get home im ready for bed so I don't know what my results will be but I'll let you know!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I don't use them to put my feet to sleep though, that's what the elliptical is for....

Ha ha, I'm not the only one whose feet fall asleep on the elliptical!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

My feet are wide and short and very hard to fit. So when the Skechers shape-ups felt comfortable AND were on sale, I grabbed them. I wore them walking to & from work (about a half hour each way), and the first week or two I could really feel the difference in my thighs. Now, after about 6 months, they don't feel any different from any other shoes. (In an article in the NY Times it said that the shape up shoes only make a difference for the first month or two, and then once the body has adjusted to the difference, they don't do anything special.)

Yehudit
Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

I'm at work so I can't see this video YouTube - Booty Shaping Sneaker Scams!
I can say that he always has great information. Like I said I haven't seen it so I don't know if he supports them or not, but whatever he says, I believe.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 PM
FitDay Member

I dunno... not tried them, but those shoes seem dangerous, if indeed they work. Seems like putting additional strain on already compromised feet might be not great... Just found this article, which suggests there are a few points of view on them.

Runner's World suggests flexible, neutral shoes for supinators.
--
edit - I have found tingling in feet, though, when wearing too-small shoes.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I'm at work so I can't see this video YouTube - Booty Shaping Sneaker Scams!
I can say that he always has great information. Like I said I haven't seen it so I don't know if he supports them or not, but whatever he says, I believe.
Right; I don't expect the shoes to provide toning or exercise, but just hoping they would be like softer clogs and provide more back support. Scared of injury, though. I was thinking of using them as "standing up for hours a day indoors" shoes, not walking/exercise/running shoes.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

re: safety of these shoes: I did find going down stairs a little scary while wearing them, and still take extra care on stairs and stepping off curbs, buth otherwise have not found safety to be an issue.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 PM
FitDay Member

Me neither and I'm what you might call "grace challenged". And I've tripped a couple of times wearing my old running shoes, which are totally flat on the bottom. I've not tripped or fallen wearing the shape-ups, although I can say for certain they add a whole new dimension to walking up and down hills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.