Notices

Eating Disorders Exposed = Motivation for me?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 AM
FitDay Member

Arrow Eating Disorders Exposed = Motivation for me?

Is it wrong that I watched a TV episode about a girl who goes nuts with an eating disorder and that actually motivated me to lose 10 pounds?

I didn't lose the weight by barfing or starving--I'm positive I never had nor do have an eating disorder so none of you out there worry about me.

Basically, in the episode, a very attractive girl is really strict on her calorie intake and what foods she chooses to put in her body. She also exercises like a maniac. It then progresses to her not eating and throwing up her food.

Anyways, I know this is kind of disturbed or whatever but I started caring about what I ate--like not putting crap like pizza into my body--and working out every day as well and it worked.

The problem came about a month later when the motivation wore off and I went back to not working out and eating like donkey.

So now I'm A)Looking for new motivation (hopefully less disturbing motivation) and B)wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

I can relate to being motivated by that. I was too, at one point, but it's so unrealistic, and long run will destroy health. Also I don't think I could tell myself I would "NEVER EAT" some particular thing again - I'm so completely stubborn and rebellious that I'm sure the other side of me would say "Oh, Yeah? WATCH ME!" and then I'd be scarfing it down.

I have had a real struggle trying to learn long-term balance. I wish I knew what inspires that feeling of being satisfied with healthy choices and balanced living, and what can make it stick around. I've never been on the "eating disorder" side but I am a completely emotional eater.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default makes sense, actually

Seeing someone struggle with their health can inspire us to take better care of our own. I know that when I spend time with folks in wheel chairs that I'm grateful for the use of my body - I might express that by going for a hike.

I don't think your response is that unusual. You're healthy. It's fine to show your appreciation by taking good care of yourself.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Hi there! Been lurking for a while and this is my first post

I think your response is healthy. Eating disorders are usually about feeling out of control and then being overcontrolling or undercontrolling with food. Although it was an extreme for the girl in the show, you sound like you have a healthy degree of control (caring what you eat). The fact that you can make good choices can be very motivating, so congrats to you for that! I think that is a very healthy motivation and it sounds like you were jolted into a realization by an extreme case. Feeling powerful and strong and wanting more of that is also a good motivator!!

For me, shows and stories about eating disorders are like a car wreck...I can't help but look at them, if only for the "wow, hope that turns out okay and I'm glad it wasn't me" factor.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

I read a book called "Skinny Bitch", and that helped me with motivation. There are many things in that book I don't buy (e.g. I will never be a vegan), but some points really hit home. The first thing I did upon reading it was immediately take aspartame out of my diet (I was a HUGE diet coke addict). I noticed right away that I didn't crave as many carbs and sweets (those are some side effects of aspartame). This change helped me to make other changes, and slowly I've been making my life more healthy.