Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
The dreaded pair of pants.. not fitting. >

The dreaded pair of pants.. not fitting.

Community
Notices

The dreaded pair of pants.. not fitting.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy The dreaded pair of pants.. not fitting.

I was in denial at first, that I had gained anyway and my boyfriend still doesn't see that I have gained any weight since we started dating back in August but I have definitely noticed it more recently. I finally proved it to him today when I tried on a pair of pants and I couldn't button them.

I have only gained about 10 pounds since summer but that's not 10 pounds to be proud of and now he see's what I mean, though he still denies it and tells me I am beautiful but I honestly feel depressed and though this is only my fourth day on fit day I am hoping that this works for me.

Does anyone have any tips to keep me inspired and hopeful and on track?
It also doesn't help that I am stressed because everyone wants my money, (i.e.) the government, school for student loans and I need new car insurance. AGH! Help!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM
FitDay Member

First of all, it sounds like you have a wonderful man. Even though you have gained weight, he is still telling you are beautiful. That one is a keeper. You wouldn't want someone who pointed out to you that you had gained weight.

Work on setting mini-goals. I like to set weekly goals on Sunday night that say how I am going to eat and exercise. Then the following Sunday, I evaluate how I did, what I could do better and how I could change and set goals for the following week. At least for me, a week is a managable chunk of time.

I think you need to be more positive and reward yourself for small accomplishments. You've almost made it a week on fit day. Thats good.

Have you considered journaling? When I am depressed, I find that writing things down, making plans and identifying problems really helps to come out of it. I have also read a lot of good things about doing meditation.

Just a few ideas. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:27 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default You can try running away from your creditors...

...it'll burn calories
But eventually they'll probably catch up to you, so probably not the best plan.

Welcome, jhowar16,
Not sure that we can help you much with the $$$ issues but there's tons of help with food and exercise - which oddly enough are often related to money worries.

Not to depress you, but your experience with the jeans is about average. 10lbs = a pants size (sometimes 2 depending).

So first, get a handle on what, and how much, you are eating through the food log for a couple of weeks. Set up activities log so you have a good idea of how many calories you burn in a day. Then use all those cool report features to look at nutrition, calorie distribution, and cals burn vs. excess, etc.

Now, do some serious soul searching. What can you change? What do you need to change. This is the part that only you can do. Then come up with a plan. Many wise voices here have said start with 1 or 2 things you can change - don't try to do it all a once. Maybe cut down on the frapacinnos from Starbucks and add a 30 min walk (Keep in mind that I know nothing about you, so I'm just makin' stuff up). Then move on to the next thing. One step at a time. And be PATIENT with yourself. It will take some time.

In the meantime, check in here from time to time. We are all in this together and there is tons of experience, humor, and support.

Looking forward to reading your progress in the future

Pam
Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM
FitDay Member

Aw thanks guys, support is what I really need here because it is difficult just doing something by yourself and not having anyone else motivate you but yourself. I am trying to get my boyfriend into joining Fitday- after the Superbowl party so that way we have each other to stick to it! My boyfriend isn't ideally where he wants to be either.

I hardly go to Starbucks with lack of money but I will take the 30 minute walk into account- though with a job where I work 2 til midnight Monday through Friday it is difficult to find time to do any work out- other than chasing a baby around all day- because I like to have Weekends to my boyfriend and myself, so this weekend should be interesting to see how well I keep my calorie intake down. I use my job to help keep eating right and doing activities here and there.

I have faith that I will be able to lose my weight and I'm glad I have people here to help me!

My goal is to lose weight and be fit by summer!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 AM
FitDay Member

JHOWAR: I think many of us have been where you are now. For me, the impetus to start serious weight control was realizing I had only 2 skirts that still fit I could continue to wear some of the others IF the waistband button was not fastened & I wore a top that hid the waist.

Several things helped me at first:

1. Keeping track of what I ate--when I started I was shocked at how much I was eating and how much of that was fat. You'll probably have some revelations as you look over your intake--check it once a week to see if you can find any patterns.

2. Weighing myself only once a week. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but when you're trying to lose, focusing on the day-to-day weight fluctuations can be very discouraging. (Once you're idown to your goal weight, then you probably should weigh yourself daily--it's been shown to help weight maintenance)

3. Gauging progress by the fit of clothes, not by number on the scale. Here's where you'll see the effect of exercise. Over the past two months, my scale has fluctuated between 138-140 pounds, but my skirts have started to get looser (I started doing Yoga 2-4 times a week).

Having friends to support your weight loss efforts helps too, so consider us you online weight loss buddies.

Good luck!
Yehudit
Old 02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by yehudit45
JHOWAR: I think many of us have been where you are now. For me, the impetus to start serious weight control was realizing I had only 2 skirts that still fit I could continue to wear some of the others IF the waistband button was not fastened & I wore a top that hid the waist.

Several things helped me at first:

1. Keeping track of what I ate--when I started I was shocked at how much I was eating and how much of that was fat. You'll probably have some revelations as you look over your intake--check it once a week to see if you can find any patterns.

2. Weighing myself only once a week. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but when you're trying to lose, focusing on the day-to-day weight fluctuations can be very discouraging. (Once you're idown to your goal weight, then you probably should weigh yourself daily--it's been shown to help weight maintenance)

3. Gauging progress by the fit of clothes, not by number on the scale. Here's where you'll see the effect of exercise. Over the past two months, my scale has fluctuated between 138-140 pounds, but my skirts have started to get looser (I started doing Yoga 2-4 times a week).

Having friends to support your weight loss efforts helps too, so consider us you online weight loss buddies.

Good luck!
Yehudit
Thank you for your input! And I suppose I could only be so lucky for no long without watching what I ate and not exercising which makes me hope that losing won't be too difficult if I just use portion control. And I do that with some pants too lol just leave them unbuttoned and hide it =P but my older pants fit me fine, still- just the newer ones i got not too long ago- which is odd because my older pants are smaller sizes but they must have just stretched out to fit me and make me feel better lol

Unfortunately I don't have a scale right now and I only am able to use one when I visit my mom but I don't need it that much anyway because it will just discourage me and make me lose focus.

Thanks again =) I need to look into doing Yoga and other work friendly routines.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 AM
FitDay Member

That is great that you have such a supportive boyfriend! Put that stress to good use and work it all off when you exercise. I've found that if you think of it that way, as soon as you start feeling that stress go sweat it out and you will feel so much better, physically and mentally. About 2 years ago I went through a really bad break up, was living 5 states away alone, and in grad school. I took all that stress and just worked out at the gym pretty often and lost close to 20 lbs over the course of about 6 months. Good luck, you can do it!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Tips and inspiration

Sounds like you've encountered the dreaded "couple gain". You get a guy, you get comfortable with him, and usually both parties end up putting on a few extra pounds. Give yourself a pat on the back for catching those sneaky pounds early, before they became 20 or 30. (And lucky for that nice man you've caught!) If you have trouble getting motivated to exercise alone, trying hitting a class at your local gym and/or working out with a friend or your guy. I really enjoyed step aerobics -- it was a great cardio workout, and having everyone else really putting in the effort helped me stay motivated.

If the weather is nice, go play outside. I try to mix in things that feel less like exercise and more like fun -- like skating. Weight-bearing exercise like running, jogging, and walking is better than biking because you burn more calories -- and it's good for your bone mass. : ) I bet you're well on your way to burning off those 10 lbs. Don't forget to mix up your workouts -- doing the same thing over and over without change is boring and causes you to hit a plateau.

Watch what you eat. Drink lots of water to prevent belly bloat and dehydration, even in the winter. Eat your fruits and veggies every day.

Most of all, remember what your goal is and why you want to lose the weight. Reasons like "I'll feel better about myself", "I'll have more energy", "I'll be healthier", and (this is my big one) "I won't have to shop for new clothes" are good motivators. Weight loss should always be about more than being skinny.