FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Daily dose of Lizzie (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/2989-daily-dose-lizzie.html)

Lizards13 01-13-2011 05:07 PM

Daily dose of Lizzie

I made a commitment to myself to post often, to bare my highs and lows, in the hope that it will keep me focused. Apparently today is the day that all of us who started our diets as new year resolutions falter so I'm determined to make this a good day.

Lows - usual long drive to and from work in rain - makes me want to reach for a sugary snack as soon as I get home, or a glass of wine. (didn't)

Highs - managed to get up off my rear and do 30 mins of treadmill walking at lunchtime. Also took a wholesome lunch in with me. Now I'm off to make dinner, it's filled wholewheat pasta with a tomato sauce and I have more than enough calories left to enjoy it with.

I make myself eat something for breakfast and I prefer a small lunch, but love my evening meal, I know that this is not the best pattern but there must be many of you who are the same, can this work or are we expected to change our habits drastically?

Thanks for listening

almeeker 01-13-2011 05:11 PM

For me what's worked has bee to change my habits drastically, one little tiny step at a time. I don't think you have to give up your evening meal.

changeisgood29 01-13-2011 05:35 PM

Heya, I can tell you that my hunger works like yours, and I've lost/am losing weight. I try to eat lunch every day (it's a bit of a battle, as I'm rarely hungry then), but I get the biggest chunk of my calories from dinner. If that bothers you, then by all means try something else, but I've chosen to work with my appetite/hunger, as opposed to against it. Hope you find something that makes you happy and healthy. :)

cjohnson728 01-13-2011 06:16 PM

If it's something you can change and sustain, do so; if not, forcing yourself into it is a setup to come crashing down. Basically, there are some things I compromise on and some things I don't. One of those is a good evening meal. It's family time, it's reminiscent of how I grew up, and I am a terrible night snacker, so if I have a good meal, the rest of my evening goes much better :)

Congrats on the good choices you made today!

Lizards13 01-13-2011 07:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've tried the breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper but eating lots at breakfast makes me feel Ill and lethargic. I want a system I can live with forever so it's good to know others have lost weight without restructuring how you divide up your meals.

canary52 01-13-2011 09:15 PM

Everyone is different, Lizzie. I am a lunch girl; I love a variety of foods for lunch. I also HAVE to eat something late afternoon; it's not even a choice. Mornings and evenings are easier to eat less. But that's FOR ME. I sincerely believe that everyone is different and each person needs to eat to suit themselves.

I also like dinner; if I eat a decent balanced dinner (and not too late) I often don't have to eat afterwards.

Good luck with finding your "way" and sticking to it.

bettmrr 01-13-2011 09:43 PM

I have a weird eating habit particularly on work days, i do eat a breakfast usually oatmeal (now wit protein powder) 7am but don't get to eat again until after 4pm so its a long day without food. It can sometimes sabotage my efforts because I get so hungry I binge when I get in or start snacking as I'm making dinner. I'm trying to curtail this by having healthy soups at the ready to drink on my way home from work so that I'm ready to go straight into a workout when I get in. then I have a sensible appetite for dinner at 7/8pm

Its all about adapting to your own individual needs rather than trying to adapt to a one size fits all.

best of luck

Lizards13 01-14-2011 08:16 AM

I like to wait awhile after getting home from work to wind down a bit before eating but that can be the danger time as I said when easy food looks good. At the moment I only allow myself 30 mins and during this time I watch a programme that I've recorded to keep my mind occupied. I know I should be exercising and this would be a good time but I am still struggling with the motivation to exercise, it will come - I have to find it as I know it really helps me lose the pounds and will improve my health overall.
here goes another day, my mantra today is - don't let the Friday afterwork get together sabotage my week. X

babby218 01-14-2011 01:06 PM

munchies...

I try to keep healthy, easy to store snack around my office so I can grab something quick. I need to eat an afternoon snack or I end up eating way too much when I get home. What works well for me are nuts. I can either buy individual bags in the grocery store or pack some in baggies at home. I find if the snack is a little fatty, it helps the best. Beware, unless packed in individual serving sizes it is very easy to eat way too many of them.

Lizards13 01-14-2011 09:08 PM

Yes I went mad for cherries this year, they were great for snacking on and I even bought a stoner so that slowed me down and stopped me for scoffing too many, but they are not in the shops now. I tried dried apricots but they played havoc with my digestion. Sometimes I feel I can cope better if I don't eat between meals as long as I plan ahead and know what I'm having. Otherwise I roam the kitchen nibbling on this and that while I decide, disaster

Lizards13 01-15-2011 04:58 PM

Bad day yesterday, all the things I should not have- Chinese food, beers, wine, and chocolate. No highs yesterday only lows.
Today has been good and I will be well within my allowance so damage limitation I hope.

babby218 01-16-2011 04:34 PM

back on the band wagon

Lizzie, don't focus on your diet mis-step, just pick up where you left off. After a few weeks of success with your new dietary changes it will become habit and then it will be much harder to fall victim to that dastardly Chinese food.

This week I have been successful; I won the challenge with my boy-toy. Thank goodness because after all the trash-talking I was doing I am sure I would have never heard the end of my loss. I took off 4.4 pounds (he took off 2.9). To celebrate we are going to eat Indian food. Which for me means tandoori chicken, salads and maybe a little chicken tika masala. (No naan or rice or pakoras, boo hiss).

I've discovered I like cottage cheese with blackberries, pumpkin seed and just a little bit of granola for crunch and sweetness. Its filling and filled with protein and antioxidants.

Ok, time to hit the shower. Have a good Sunday!

Lizards13 01-17-2011 06:55 PM

Well done you, I redeemed myself yesterday and today, but the proof will come tomorrow when I get on the scales. I will be ok until Friday, during the week I can be really disciplined but come the weekend.... Especially if I'm going out with my friend. This Friday we are meeting up and I'm determined not to choose badly, I know the restaurant and they do a lovely salmon dish, but she will order potato wedges with chilli sour cream and expect us to share them, oh the temptation.

Lizards13 01-18-2011 06:39 AM

H-a-p-p-y

I'm happy. It may be only one lb but I really thought that I'd blown it this week. Feeling more positive and now want to up my exercise ( shouldn't be hard as I have been so lazy, anything will be an improvement) I have a mini goal of 168 for 04 feb and it IS going to happen. I am also beginning to lose that overstuffed sausage feeling when I put on my clothes, and when I take them off the welts around my waist aren't so deep lol.

babby218 01-19-2011 12:21 PM

Zumba anyone?

Hi there! I decided to quit hibernating in this frozen world and get outside (if only to start my car and drive to the local elementary school). I signed up for a "Zumba" class. It sounds like fun; group dancing to latin rhythms.

My eating is back on target after a few nights of binging with the boy-toy. Can't wait until Sunday's weigh in. I don't dare hop on the scale until then; I always end up too preoccupied with my weight when I do that. Too emotionally draining.

I am hoping I meet some new friends and community members. I moved to my house two years ago and still don't have any friends here. Of course, my large extended family keeps me busy and entertained, but none the less, I need to focus on cultivating some friendships.

Hope you have a good day!

Lizzycritter 01-19-2011 03:03 PM

I keep seeing the title of this thread and thinking "I didn't post that"... ;) Another Lizzie here at your service. Glad to have you.

Lizards13 01-19-2011 07:28 PM

Zumba sounds great, and maybe you will make some friends there. I've just seen an advert for a Bollywood dance class, and I was deciding if I should go, now you've helped me make up my mind. Today was a good day, foodwise, my mother's homemade vegetable soup for dinner, hot and healthy and surprisingly filling. Just one bit of badness - a currant square, tried to work out the calories but couldn't find it anywhere so just added 350, hope that's enough.

To the other Lizzie, hi thanks for the welcome.

babby218 01-20-2011 12:42 PM

What's for lunch?

Zumba was good. Lots of women with different body types; none of them the stick-figure-lean-muscle type! The instructor even had a belly roll! At first I thought she might be pregnant and just starting to show but decided by the end of the class it was just the middle age bulge starting in. I feel a little sore this morning so I know I must have worked some muscles! The instructor was less than inspiring, definitely not a born dancer, but I did meet some women and will go back again next week. Maybe I can encourage some of the women there to hoop and holler a little bit. I think that would make it more fun.

I think today I am going to have tuna salad and celery sticks for lunch with an apple and some nuts. I am starting to tire of my green salads for lunch. I saw a recipe for a green salad that used roasted acorn squash that I think I will try this weekend. It looked really yummy and I like squash. Maybe tonight I will pick up the makings for some mango salsa and grill some shrimp to go with it. If I can't travel to the tropics, at least I can eat like I am IN the tropics!

Bollywood dancing sounds so fun! Do it! do it! Then you can burn off that scone ;) Well, I need to do some toning exercises and then get ready for work. Have a great day and just remember the only way to eat a sandwhich (or salad in my case) is one bite at a time. (I think that is my mantra for many things in my life)

Lizards13 01-20-2011 07:12 PM

Too cold for salad

In the summer I love salad but when it's cold I need hot warming food. I am impressed with all the exercise people are doing, my motivation to work out comes in waves and at the moment I am in a trough.
Today I stayed within my calorie allowance but I can't say that I had a good food day.......
Breakfast - not bad, wholewheat toast with a little benecol spread and black coffee.
Lunch- really bad - work colleague brought in cream buns - had one for lunch
Snack - banana
Dinner - scrambled egg with 2 slices bacon and more wholewheat toast.
Then more black coffee with 2 gorgeous chocolates from my Christmas stash.
Tomorrow evening I'm out with my friend so going to save up my cals for the evening, if only I lived on a desert island with no temptations and no social obligations, but then would I care about being healthy and slim?

Lizards13 01-22-2011 02:38 PM

I love weekends but they are like diet ninjas, hiding in the shadows ready to sabotage me. Yesterday I was doing pretty well, right up until I had the cocktail on an empty stomach and then it all went downhill. But today is another day and hopefully I can make up for last night. Seems like my pattern, good all week trying to limit the damage of the weekend, so I never really move forward. Got to break out of this habit, today is fine so far and I'm off to plan this evening's meal, no alcohol tonight and no mini magnums.

Lizards13 01-23-2011 09:03 PM

Sunday - not a bad day entirely, but my son arriving for dinner meant the celebratory glass ( or two) of wine. Otherwise I cooked a good healthy meal which we both enjoyed, back on the right path tomorrow and on the scales Tuesday. Going to my dance class tomorrow eve so at least I will be up and moving.

Lizards13 01-25-2011 06:54 AM

Missed posting yesterday, having some personal problems which are keeping me awake at night, but for once I didn't turn to food ( or alcohol) for comfort. I 'm trying to keep my diet as close to my normal likes as possible as I know it has to be a life change so there's no point forcing myself to eat foods that I hate because it won't last.
Anyway another ib off this week, slowly slowly catchy monkey as they say.
Impatience is a diet saboteur for me, my mind starts to wander and I lose focus.
This has been happening since after I had my kids, that's when my weight started to pile on, but the kids are adults now and I'm still fat.
On a better note, I enjoyed my Bollywood dance class last night, exercise and fun, great.
Have a great day everyone.

miverso3 01-25-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by bettmrr (Post 31882)
I have a weird eating habit particularly on work days, i do eat a breakfast usually oatmeal (now wit protein powder) 7am but don't get to eat again until after 4pm so its a long day without food. It can sometimes sabotage my efforts because I get so hungry I binge when I get in or start snacking as I'm making dinner. I'm trying to curtail this by having healthy soups at the ready to drink on my way home from work so that I'm ready to go straight into a workout when I get in. then I have a sensible appetite for dinner at 7/8pm

Its all about adapting to your own individual needs rather than trying to adapt to a one size fits all.

best of luck

As I'm cooking dinner I always pull out cherry tomatoes and olives(2 of my favorite foods) and I eat about 35 calories, sometimes I add in a string cheese >.<, but I'm always a little fuller for dinner and don't end up eating as much for dinner.

Lizards13 01-26-2011 10:13 PM

I've tried low cal nibbles before dinner and having a banana in the car on the way home but the past few days I've moved my lunch by about 30 mins later and that seems to be working for now. I'm hungry when I get in but not ravenous so I can cook my evening meal without grabbing some bread and butter while I'm preparing it. Whatever works for each of us is the important thing and it's great to hear other peoples tricks and tips, I'm happy to try new ways to curb my appetite.
Today was another good food day and I'm off to bed feeling quite virtuous, but I still need that kick up the behind to get me started on the daily exercise programme, how lazy am I?

Lizards13 01-28-2011 09:00 PM

The best laid plans........ Had organised to go to the cinema with my son and to go for a meal beforehand, knew what I was going to have, all good low cal with salad but we were late and so had to go to the movies first and then we were both tired but hungry so just grabbed a chicken royale meal on way home, can't believe how many calories in those skinny little fries. On the plus side... I didn't have any goodies at the cinema, I had eaten very frugally for lunch and I very rarely eat that type of fast food.

Lizards13 02-01-2011 06:58 AM

I am no longer officially obese, the little arrow has just slid marginally into the overweight zone. My first milestone passed, hurrah. Enjoyed my Bollywood dance class yesterday, and it was just what I needed after a high cal Sunday. Work is a bit stressful and my personal life is a bit wobbly but this time I won't stuff myself full of rubbish to try to make myself feel better because I know that it only makes me feel worse when I finally stop and realise how far I'd come and now have to start over, and I've done this so many times. Have a great day.

Lizards13 02-03-2011 12:42 PM

My partner is coming home for the weekend and we are entertaining so I know that my resolve will falter and my diet will suffer. The only saving grace is that he likes to be more active than I do so this time I will encourage him to drag me along and make me get up and get out walking. I am scouring low cal recipes which will suit everyone and have come up with what I think is a very tasty but healthy meal. The proof of the pudding ....... hopefully will be in the lack of added poundage this time. Wish me luck and some willpower please

Lizards13 02-07-2011 05:56 PM

Omg what an end to the week. From Thursday my calorie count went through the roof, out with my mum and sis to dinner and a show, fri my partner arrived so celebratory meal and drinks. Saturday I made a great meal for my sis and brother-in-law and having cut my finger, dropped two of my favourite glasses and picked up an eye infection I felt obliged to enjoy every morsel and as I was at home partake of cocktails and wine. The following day was "finish up the goodies otherwise they will go to waste". So today is penance day, bread and water almost. I have the willpower of a gnat at the weekends
Does anyone know how to cope with those couple of days?

Lizards13 02-10-2011 09:24 PM

I have been very good for the last three days to try and make up for last weekend and was very disappointed to see the scales had actually gone up by 1/2 lb. It's my own fault I know but it still hits hard. Today I didn't let it get to me and I've stuck to my diet instead of feeling low and giving in. Hopefully this is just a little blip and I'll be back on track soon.

Lizards13 02-15-2011 07:02 AM

Success - I have overcome the bad days and am now on my way to my mini goal this Thursday. In the past a few bad days and a gain would have meant giving up in disgust but the new me just let it go and got back to the diet. Seeing my best friend slip into a tiny dress which had been reduced from £130 to £35 spurred me on.

Lizards13 02-17-2011 04:51 PM

Met my mini goal - hurray. Treated myself to a trip to the hairdresser. My partner is home again this weekend so nothing but temptation, he enjoys his food and drink. He also needs to lose weight but I can't nag at him when I am only just starting to get to grips with my weight. Hopefully if he sees me losing, it will help him to start a weightloss programme. I know he has a very stressful job and as I am not around him a lot he tends to relax by overeating and downing too many gins. so that's my first 1/2 stone off. I can feel my clothes getting more comfortable and I really want to buy something new but I'm going to wait until my next 1/2 stone is gone. Baby steps.......

Lizards13 02-23-2011 08:04 PM

Weekend wasn't too bad, I drove on the two nights we went out so no alcohol and I made good food choices too and no dessert. I treated myself to a French martini when we got home and enjoyed sipping it slowly. My only gripe now is that I'm still not getting enough exercise and yes I know it's nobody's fault but mine, but I'm so tired at the moment when I get home from work and my plan to do a walk at lunchtimes in work has been scuppered every single day for the past 2 weeks by something coming up at the last minute, but I have to start being more active, I feel such a slob.

Lizards13 02-28-2011 08:16 PM

Can't believe it's been a week since I posted. I was really good all week but the scales didn't move at all. However on Saturday I tried on a pair of trousers i bought ages ago but were too tight to wear and they fitted!! Out at my Bollywood dancing tonight and she really kept us at it for the hour, I feel good. I need to drop a couple of pounds this week to get back on track to meet my next goal, right now I think I can do it. Fingers crossed.

quinnesec 03-01-2011 09:16 PM

Hi Lizzie,

I've really enjoyed reading your posts. My grandfather was from Ireland and so much of your writing reminds me of him... favorite foods, etc.

Just wanted to invite you to join us on the Motivational thread, here in the Women's Only section. I think you'd really enjoy it! It's a great group with lots of encouragement to keep us all moving in the right direction! :) Hope to see you there! quinn

Lizards13 03-02-2011 06:58 PM

Thanks for the invite, I'll pop over in a wee while when I'm done here. Today i went to my mum's for some of her homemade vegetable soup, yummy and filling but low on calories, but then she MADE me have a piece of her gorgeous chocolate cake. Just as well I'd been extra careful at lunch and i went for a brisk 30 min walk too. Tomorrow is weigh in day, this week has been a good food week, lots of fruit and veg, very little alcohol and no late night snacks, so hopefully..........

kajajo 03-03-2011 10:08 AM

Good luck today with your weigh in. And how is it possible your mum MADE you eat the chocolate cake? My mum would be tsk tsking me if she even saw me eating cake, but then she is the one who put me on my first diet at age 7. Never mind I am digressing. Can you tell me about your Bollywood dancing, it sounds like fun, and I think I have seen in on the TV but as an excercise program, I can't imagine it?

Lizards13 03-03-2011 10:16 PM

My mum has always made little cakes and biscuits as treats, she is now 80 and still loves sweet things although she is not overweight. As I only have tea with her once per week I just accept the cake and adjust Wednesdays to count it in. Bollywood dance is a mixture of traditional Indian dance mixed with more western styles like hip hop and jazz dance. It's fast paced and the teacher keeps us dancing for the 1 hr the class is on, I enjoy dancing and anything that gets me up and moving is good exercise to me.

Lizards13 03-03-2011 10:18 PM

Forgot to say that I have dropped 1/2 lb this week, had hoped for more but something is better than nothing.

Lizards13 03-04-2011 07:02 PM

What a cr***y work week. All I wanted to do tonight was pour a big glass of wine and eat chocolate. So what did I do...... Well I did pour the wine but I chose it over the chocolate, OMG you must all think I drink a lot, not so much really but when I feel stressed I reach for a glass of wine, or when I'm happy it's a cocktail. Food wise it
wasn't a bad day and I just about kept it under 1600 total. However I know that this won't be a good weekend, I have a regimental dinner that I have to attend and I don't get any choices in the food and it's 5 courses!!! Sunday has to be frugal.

kajajo 03-05-2011 02:08 AM

You may not have any choices as far as what is served, but you do have a choice about what and how much of it you eat. You could also fast for the next week and totally indulge.....yeah I know, it wouldn't work for me either, I just hate not eating everything put in front of me. BTW congrats on the loss this week, keep it up, or down as the case may be.