Notices

New To The Site:)

Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

Question New To The Site:)

Well, Im new here. I want to lose about 30 pounds... I want to get in shape for many reasons...1) Im still in high school and its humiliating seeing all the skinny girls..and then looking at myself. 2) I want to enlist in the military 3) Im tired of not being fit!!
But I have some problems...I hate running in front of people. My cousin only runs with me, but shes resently started on drugs and has no time for me. My parents still buy me pop and let me drink it...I have low self modivation...And im tired of it! So anyone want to help me out here? Become my workout buddy?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome, Spark!
Congratulations on starting while you're still so young. I would start by logging EVERYTHING - even if you don't make any changes at first. That will give you and idea of what areas to concentrate. Can you request water instead of soda? Just eliminating the soda will probably make a huge difference, and you may find that you don't have to do as much as you think you do. If not having soda in the house is not an option, make "rules" for yourself - "No soda until I have had ALL my recommended water for the day (roughly 92 ounces for you! That's almost 3 Big Gulp size cups). As far as exercise, find wayd to work it in when you can. Don't rely on other people to motivate you - it's up to you to find ways to make it enjoyable. As far as running in front of others - you'll be amazed at how much nobody cares. If they notice you, they're probably thinking "good for her! She's doing something healthy." There are lots of people who are much heavier than you who have had to bear the humiliation of cruel comments, but that shouldn't happen to you. If someone does say something, just remember - you may be overweight but you're doing something about it. You can easily lose the weight within 6 months with hard work and focus.They're ignorant fools, and that's probably how they'll always be.
Keep posting!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:35 AM
FitDay Member

I totally agree with nottango. If you drink water instead of the pop, pretty soon they won't buy anymore because there is still a pile of it in the corner of the kitchen. On the running, yes it's good exercise but if you don't enjoy it, find something else that you do enjoy. There are a ton of ways to burn calories that don't involve running. Do you enjoy bike riding? Maybe you're more of a dancer and would really enjoy a Zumba or jazz class. Or maybe swimming is your thing, or you're a volleyball player. Personally I love walking and one thing I know for a fact is that the people I've known in my life that were in better shape than the rest of the planet, all walked as part of their workout routine. As for the self esteem thing, have you considered taking a martial arts class? A friend of mine is taking her teenage son and it's been really helpful for him.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Thanks you both The worst time of the year for me is winter. During the summer, I play softball, so I lose about 5-10 there. Im going to start running at night That way its cool and I dont get embarassed. I actually just bought a few Zumba videos to do, so hopefully those help. I plan on drinking at least 2 liters of water everyday..I know thats a lot, but its healty.