FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Tall Girls Club (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/2689-tall-girls-club.html)

staceyguthrie 12-17-2010 08:27 AM

Tall Girls Club

I am new to this whole "forum" thing but was wondering if there are any other tall girls out there. What I find is that my height masks the weight - so, you can't even tell I have lost anything until I'm down 20 pounds or so - my clothes don't fit different - nothing. It is discouraging to me - I watch the scale go down but know that it has not changed the way I look in the least.

I am 5'11" starting weight 180, current weight 170 goal weight 145 (might go lower - wait and see what that "looks" like)

xarinn 12-20-2010 04:55 AM

Hey

I totally know what you are talking about, I too am 5 "11 I started out at about 191 pounds and I was about 175 before anyone noticed anything at all or before I really noticed my clothes starting to feel a little different. It also goes the other way as well in that it is so easy for your weight to creep up because you can gain 15 pounds before your clothes even start to feel tight. I am aiming for a goal of 150 pounds as I think that is small enough for me. I went back and got out a bunch of my pictures and I like the way my body looks the best in the 150-160 range. Any pictures of me weighing less than 150 I look sick, it's just not attractive on me. Which I guess is an added bonus for me. I also find that it is difficult to buy certain fitness equipment i.e. exercise balls etc, because all my height is in my legs so to find one that fits properly is very difficult.

Talk to you soon

Andrea

staceyguthrie 12-20-2010 05:50 AM

Good to hear I am not alone in that! I am not sure what my goal will really be either - figure if I set it lower than what I want maybe it will keep me motivated for longer :)

I have given up on trying to find exercise equipment - at my gym, I have to adjust all the machines to the lowest height - except the bike of course - that I adjust up until the seat nearly comes off! Pants are a whole other issue but I won't even go there right now! Mine is also all leg length ( 37" inseam).

How close are you to your goal?

Cheers,

Stacey

xarinn 12-22-2010 02:03 AM

hey Stacey

I am about 20 pounds from my goal right now, I was doing really well then I pulled a bunch of muscles in my back in November and they are taking a long time to heal, plus I have a 2 year old daughter who I am picking up all the time which is not helping the healing process. At this point I am just glad that I havn't managed to gain any of the weight back. I am hoping that if I take it slow until after Christmas I will feel well enough to get back to exercising more vigourously. Pants are a major problem for me, though I am finding since I lossed a bit of weight that it is getting easier. When you are looking for jeans or dress pants that are both long and in a larger size it is horrible, mind you at my heaviest (191) I was still only wearing a size 12/14. I am now down to a 10 or sometimes an 8 and there seems to be more options, I was out west this summer so I got a few pairs of pants at the Tall Girl Store in West Edmonton mall and it was craziness in there for long pants. I actually had trouble finding ones that were short enough for me. I Live in Ontario and there is a Tall Girl store in Toronto but I never make it to Toronto to go shopping for clothes so I will just have to make due with what I have. I actually find a bigger problem is trying to buy skirts. most make me look like a stripper as those that are meant to be knee length on normal people are barely legal on me. And those that are designed to come to say mid-calf just look funny when they only come to your knees.

I am so glad you started this thread, it is nice to have someone to talk to about some of the pitfalls of being tall, not that I don't know it because I do and I am in no way embarrassed about my height, I will still rock a 3 inch heal. It porbably helps that my husband is about 6'4 so I never feel that awkward.

Look forward to hearing from you

Cheers
Andrea