Notices

Night Shift Workers

Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM
FitDay Member

Question Night Shift Workers

Are there any night shift women here? I work from 10p-6:30A, and looking for a night shift buddy to do this with. I just need some motivation to help me to reach my goals, I have about 20-25 lbs to lose by my B-day (April 3rd). I will also be here to help you too.

Angie
Old 12-12-2010, 05:24 PM
FitDay Member

well i am night shift man.. 1130 pm to 730am. i have lots to loss but if i can help you . let me know i will be glad to do what i can thru the forums.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM
FitDay Member

Night shift is the pits --whenever I worked nights, I would get this awful need for carbohydrates--anything substantial for "lunch" made me sick to my stomach, but a baked potato or a couple slices of rye bread really hit the spot. I did eventually learn that extra fiber (like, metamucil before I left for work and again when I got home) prevented my night shift diarrhea AND made me less hungry as well

The other thing that might help is getting more sleep. One of the hormones that controls fat metabolism is secreted during sleep, so if you don't sleep long enough (and what night shift worker does?), you'll tend to put on the pounds.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

My husband's on the night shift. Anything I can pick up to help him out would be appreciated. He works 11p-7a.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

LIZZY: Some sleep physicians (yes, that is a real specialty) reccommend shift workers wear really dark sunglasses on the way home in the morning.
That way, they don't get too much light which can mess up their body rhythms by resetting their internal clock (which had been set by working & eating during the night). At least one sleep doc I know prescribes sleeping pills (like Ambien) for his clinic staff who want it, since they have to work at night and sleep during the day, and short acting stimulants for them to use at night (although caffeine works pretty well for most).
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 AM
FitDay Member

Working 7p-730a x3 days/week and just starting on my journey. I find that some small protein snacks and veggies help with hunger and plenty of water (difficult when so busy). It is difficult when there are still so many holiday treats still around, but I have avoided them for the 3 days since I have begun. Hopefully we can all support each other on this weight loss journey and see what really works!