FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   7 Day Motivational Thread anyone? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/2607-7-day-motivational-thread-anyone.html)

canary52 12-09-2010 04:33 AM

7 Day Motivational Thread anyone?

This thread really helped me. Would anyone like to start one again with me?

gmantych 12-09-2010 05:19 AM

I will join. I have missed the thread so much. I check FitDay several times at work and here lately there is no one posting!:( I hope it picks back up after the holidays!

When are we starting?

cjohnson728 12-09-2010 06:53 AM

YES! We are heading into serious accountability time ;). Start Monday? Weekend?

canary52 12-09-2010 07:17 AM

Oh good! I am so glad you are with me on this one! I missed this thread too!!!

Sorry, I just figured out how to add a new thread; OK I'm technologically challenged, I admit it. There is something right above the posts that says new thread... maybe I should try this to start a new thread?...DUUUUUHHHH!!!

So how `bout we start this Sunday? Is that good for all? Try to get us all through this holiday season without too much damage, yes? We'll help motivate each other. Sounds like a plan!

cjohnson728 12-09-2010 08:18 AM

Sunday works for me. I just had a professional-to professional gift delivered today. Usually he sends fruit. This time it's Godiva, mini cookies, chocolate almonds and peanut butter pretzels :mad:

I need all the help I can get; I'm going to start baking soon :eek: Work's been too crazy, so if I make cookies now, the stress will have me sucking them like a Hoover.

canary52 12-09-2010 08:41 AM

Be strong, Cassie! You can do this. Can you recycle any of his gift? (to me for example, like those almonds or those pb pretzels, JK!) Can you fit in a little cheat, with your homebaked cookies, perhaps, without going of the rails? Or are you like me, once you go down that road it's hard to stop? DD keeps asking why I haven't been baking in a while; this is why! Maybe homemade bath salts could be a good gift? At least we won't eat them!!!

cjohnson728 12-09-2010 09:50 AM

Sure, Canary, send me your address! I tried to get rid of them at work, but no takers. But I live with guys, so hopefully they will disappear quickly.

I do fine as long as I don't get started, but once I do, unless I really plan, therein lies the disaster. My brain tricks itself into believing that this is the ONLY time in the history of my life that I will EVER have access to said food, so I respond by eating as much of it as possible :eek:.

I usually chew gum when I bake, and if I keep the cookies in the basement closet or somewhere not-lying-around-on-the-counter-where-I-can-see-them-all-the-time, I will do better. I will calculate them all up and log them, I hope. We'll see how it goes. Last year between Thanksgiving and Jan 4, I gained 7 pounds. I started FitDay on Jan 5!

Yes, if you eat the bath salts, you probably won't be eating much of anything else for the next few days!

rubypeanut 12-09-2010 12:48 PM

I need it too. I think I've sort of given up on reaching my goal, feeling like, "Oh well, it's winter, time to eat and pack on the pounds." NO NO ! I starved and worked out 5x a week and ran 20 miles a week for 9 months, only to gain all the weight back again in one month?!?! How can I gain weight so fast--it's beyond me. This morning I was 116 and right now I'm 124. I know it's probably water and food weight but it still frightens me b/c I totally overate and my daughter is sick so I haven't worked out all week and today I ate 4 brownies and a half pint of Ben and Jerry's! Maybe it's all PMS.

gmantych 12-09-2010 01:00 PM

Sunday is perfect for me. This has been a rough week. DH took my scales after I weighed Monday morning and wont give them back until this coming Monday. I am sure its probably good because I have been focusing too much on that # but I am going crazy not being able to weigh. I am so scared what it is going to show Monday!

I just had a huge tempation. I took my DD to McDonalds with a friend to get ice cream after dinner. The little girls mom met us there and I got to enjoy watching her eat a big mac and french fries. That used to be my favorite burger at McDonalds!! I did good though. Didnt fall in the tempation. Thank goodness I had just eaten dinner at home. Chicken Tacos, so much better.:D

Dont send any of those treats my way!! lol I work in a nursing home so we get plenty of goodies at the holidays. Doing my best to stay away. I actually start a new job in two weeks. I am worried how the set up is for the breakroom. Now I have access to a frig, microwave, and a toaster. I sure hope I have that at my new job so I can continue to bring my lunch.

mambogirl81 12-09-2010 03:57 PM

Hi, I would like to jump back in on Sunday too! I have not been doing nearly as well with my eating and drinking enough water as I was when posting here.

I think we could all use the support during the holidays! We are having our annual neighborhood dessert night at my house tomorrow and I have been baking (and snacking) and of course there will be lots of new things to try that the others bring.....

mommaof2girls 12-09-2010 07:45 PM

Hi all! I'm new to this and was wondering if I could join. Could really use the support. Thanks!!!

cjohnson728 12-10-2010 12:04 AM

Sure, Momma, the more the merrier! On Sunday we will post a thread and we'll all put in the goals we're working on for the week, and usually update each evening on how we did that day for each goal. Look for it on Sunday and jump on in!

almeeker 12-10-2010 01:23 AM

Oh glory be, I need this thread again, count me in. I was sick for about 10 days, dropped 15 pounds, but I'm sure it was mostly water weight because as soon as I could keep food down I was back up by 10 pounds. I haven't been logging this week, I've been absolutely nuts with the Christmas preparations. After losing like 2 weeks belly up with the flu, I'm in deep trouble for time. Anyway even without the logging I've been okay calorie wise, and I'm getting back in the saddle energy/workout wise although I'm not quite back up to where I was yet. My solution for baking is to make things I don't love. So we're neck deep in gingerbread around here. Besides if you eat too much of the gingerbread, you won't have enough left to build the little houses. Next I'm on to fruit cake (DH loves it, I won't touch it). I did make a batch of 7th Heaven Turtles, which was a mistake, but I cut them into 1"x1" squares and only allowed myself 4/day. At that size they were only about 50 calories, instead of the 600 they would be if I'd cut them the way I prefer to. Well I'll check back on Sunday.

canary52 12-10-2010 02:47 AM

It looks like we're all in the same (leaky) boat here. I'm glad this thread got a good response so we can help support each other.

Recently I went on Lyrica for my fibromyalgia. Honestly, I was hesistant to go on because of the weight gain associated with this drug. But I needed to do something to feel better and other stuff I tried wasn't working. And at first I was doing OK, even losing some. But now it seems to have caught up with me. I gained 3-4 lbs for no other reason than this drug and the fact that my scale is psycho and hates me (and OK it could have been the chocolate I inhaled but it wasn't that much! I swear) This week I have been restricting calories and still can't seem to shake the weight. Last night, I swear I gained weight just looking at the Wendy's meal DD was eating.

Gotta nip this is the bud! In the butt? The hips? The waist? And yes in those flabby grandma arms I'm developing. I stop waving and they don't!!! Too scary!!!

BTW I love that Almeeker!~ Bake stuff for the holidays that I don't like! And what would that be? Calves liver cookies anyone? Yeech.

Welcome mommaof2girls and I'm glad to see everyone here! This kind of thread always helped me and I hope it helps you all too!

mommaof2girls 12-10-2010 06:42 AM

Thank you all so much! I need all the support I can get. I know that is what I've been missing out on and why I haven't been doing well. Now that I am not working any more it has been much harder, being home and able to eat whenever I feel like it. And all of my friends are all "little bitty things" as they put it so talking with them doesn't do any good (I mean really, who wants to hear about how that size 2 is too big now and it is hard to find a 0...gag!) So I appreciate you all welcoming me here and can't wait to start Sunday night! :)

Darlean 12-10-2010 09:53 AM

Back again!

Hi,all. It's good to be back on this helpful thread again. almeeker, I'm glad to hear that you're doing better. I was also very sick for about a week, but I didn't lose anything at all, in fact, I gained because of all the inactivity. Still have a nagging cough that doesn't want to go away and it has been about three weeks now. I did finally get my run in today, though. That felt so good. I'm anxious to get this started on Sunday with everyone else here. You're all so wonderful and helpful. Looking forward to keeping up with everyone and making even more "healthy" friends. We can do this, ladies!!

rubypeanut 12-10-2010 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 28000)
It looks like we're all in the same (leaky) boat here. I'm glad this thread got a good response so we can help support each other.

Recently I went on Lyrica for my fibromyalgia. Honestly, I was hesistant to go on because of the weight gain associated with this drug. But I needed to do something to feel better and other stuff I tried wasn't working. And at first I was doing OK, even losing some. But now it seems to have caught up with me. I gained 3-4 lbs for no other reason than this drug and the fact that my scale is psycho and hates me (and OK it could have been the chocolate I inhaled but it wasn't that much! I swear) This week I have been restricting calories and still can't seem to shake the weight. Last night, I swear I gained weight just looking at the Wendy's meal DD was eating.

Gotta nip this is the bud! In the butt? The hips? The waist? And yes in those flabby grandma arms I'm developing. I stop waving and they don't!!! Too scary!!!

BTW I love that Almeeker!~ Bake stuff for the holidays that I don't like! And what would that be? Calves liver cookies anyone? Yeech.

Welcome mommaof2girls and I'm glad to see everyone here! This kind of thread always helped me and I hope it helps you all too!

Winter and foods and new meds = no fun, I am in the same boat!

canary52 12-11-2010 03:08 AM

Let's not give up! We'll encourage each other!!! As Momma says of herself, we can do this!!!

rubypeanut 12-11-2010 04:36 AM

Yes we can!

Although now I've caught my daugher's cold, phooey! I forgot how lousy it feels to be tired and sick. Maybe this way I won't have much appetite although I'm guzzling honey tea for my throat.

canary52 12-11-2010 11:50 AM

I'm so sorry you're sick. I just spent 2 weeks with a head cold. And kids are great at sharing that stuff, aren't they? My daughter used to come home and sneeze into the fridge. Gee thanks, honey!! On so many levels.

Maybe your goals could be mellow, like taking care of yourself, eating nourishing stuff. I think honey tea is the way to go!!! Lots of clear liquids! Flush that cold out!

canary52 12-12-2010 03:13 AM

It's Sunday! Yay! Time to turn over a new leaf! (why wait till New Years?)

This week I will:
1) meditate; it really helps
2) get back to writing
3) treat myself better by eating better
4) endeavor to keep those calories at 1500 or lower; plan your meals!
5) go to the gym and not overdo it so I can continue to do it
6) bring those clothes sitting on my landing to Good Will
7) not say yes when I mean no especially to my child who badgers me till I relent
8) remember that being a parent isn't being a buddy

Man, do I need this!!! Can't wait to hear yours!!!

cjohnson728 12-12-2010 03:45 AM

Thanks, Canary!

Love your #7...first rule of parenting, lol!

Okay, I need to take care of myself this week. Work is awful and it's the last week before break; my son is sick and mired in projects, papers, and tests, which all adds to the stress of my work, Christmas prep, continuing ed hours due, etc, etc. So with that in mind, here goes:

1. I will sleep at least 7 hours a night.
2. I will stop working/running around long enough to sit down and eat my meals.
3. I will take my vitamins every day.
4. I will make it a point to think about things I'm thankful for daily.
5. I will catch up on billing so I can actually get paid for all this work.
6. I will get in 2-3 big blue bottles of water daily.
7. I will get in at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies daily.
8. I will not allow the things I have to do to get in the way of exercise.

Wow. So, some of these will be easier than others. We'll see how it goes :)

canary52 12-12-2010 08:47 AM

I love your list, Cassie! And I will borrow something from yours and add it to mine.

So this week I will:
1) meditate; it really helps
2) get back to writing
3) treat myself better by eating better
4) endeavor to keep those calories at 1500 or lower; plan those meals!
5) go to the gym and not overdo it so I can continue to do it
6) bring those clothes sitting on my landing to Good Will
7) not say yes when I mean no especially to my child who badgers me till I relent; remember that being a parent isn't being a buddy
8) drink more water!!!

Anyone else? Come on, you know you want to !!!

mommaof2girls 12-12-2010 09:49 AM

Okay, here we go for the week....
    I tried not to set my goals too high since this is my first time, but I still know some of these will be pretty hard for me :eek:.
    Good luck to all!!

mambogirl81 12-12-2010 01:23 PM

Ok, here goes:

1: Drink at least 64 oz a day
    2: Eat more veggies
    3: Extra abs a few days this week.
    4: Stay away from the sugar!!
    5: Plan my holiday cooking menus.
    6: Not obsess over my weight,but focus on my health.

Hopefully I wasn't supposed to start today,because I failed on all levels. :o

almeeker 12-12-2010 10:56 PM

This week I will:

1. I will not let Christmas be stressful, it is a time to celebrate, rejoice and have fun with the kiddos.
    2. I will keep my calories in check
    3. I will workout M-Sat even if I don't want to.
    4. I will drink 96 oz of water each day
    5. I will get my Christmas cards sent
    6. I will clean this house, maybe not to "perfection" but to "acceptable"
    7. I will get my kids laughing good and hard at least once/day
    8. I will plan at least 2 activities with friends for next week when the kids are out of school.

Oh, and there was just a nasty car crash outside my bay window, the roads are really slick this morning. Looks like everybody is okay, well they are walking anyway. So I just want to wish all of you a safe and happy holiday with nice clear/dry roads.

canary52 12-13-2010 01:19 AM

Almeeker I'm glad the people in the car were OK; it's scary this time of year with the slick roads.
    Mambogirl don't worry about "failing" any day; every day is a new chance to start fresh.

OK my report card for 12/12 (I needed to start yesterday; had a BP scare Sat night due to poor food choices)

So this week I will:
    1) meditate; it really helps -yes
    2) get back to writing -no, boo hiss
    3) treat myself better by eating better -yes and the scale finally moved today
    4) endeavor to keep those calories at 1500 or lower; plan those meals! -1000, how did that happen? I did plan my meals and ate less, that's how!
    5) go to the gym and not overdo it so I can continue to do it - yes and it was great
    6) bring those clothes sitting on my landing to Good Will -I got them into my car, does that count?
    7) not say yes when I mean no especially to my child who badgers me till I relent; remember that being a parent isn't being a buddy -eh I'm still a wuss, getting better though
    8) drink more water!!! I tried! Not 96 oz though!!! I gotta work up to that!!!!

gmantych 12-13-2010 01:29 AM

I hope everyone has a great week. I am so happy this thread is back up and running. I sure need the daily accountability!

My goals are:

1. 1500 calories per day
    2. Exercise 45 minutes per day
    3. 128 oz water
    4. Stay away for the holiday goodies!
    5. Be more patient with DH and children
    (Borrowed this from mommaof2girls:D)
    6. Stay focused at work
    (only 2 weeks left here:p)

cjohnson728 12-13-2010 02:52 AM

Yesterday's report:

1. I will sleep at least 7 hours a night. Yes
    2. I will stop working/running around long enough to sit down and eat my meals. Some
    3. I will take my vitamins every day. Yes
    4. I will make it a point to think about things I'm thankful for daily. Yes
    5. I will catch up on billing so I can actually get paid for all this work. No
    6. I will get in 2-3 big blue bottles of water daily. Maybe
    7. I will get in at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies daily. Yes
    8. I will not allow the things I have to do to get in the way of exercise. Yes

The maybe is because I didn't do quite enough water, but did do 3 cups of herbal tea yesterday. I don't know if that counts or not :confused:

canary52 12-13-2010 03:05 AM

I believe tea does count towards water consumption. Anyone?

mommaof2girls 12-13-2010 06:24 AM

Every diet I've ever done, or read about, counts coffee, tea, flavored water, and diet soda towards water. I know that I get most of my water intake from green tea. Not only am I getting the water but my doctor has told me that green tea will help with weightloss. :)

rubypeanut 12-13-2010 12:57 PM

I will:

1) rest (and relax about working out) to get over this nasty cold
    2) not feel sad about my weight that is trending in the wrong direction ! ;P
    3) get ahead at work so I can enjoy my time off over the holidays

canary52 12-13-2010 02:16 PM

This sound sensible, Ruby! Feel better!

cjohnson728 12-13-2010 03:53 PM

Today's report card:

1. I will sleep at least 7 hours a night. Yes No
    2. I will stop working/running around long enough to sit down and eat my meals. Some No
    3. I will take my vitamins every day. Yes Yes
    4. I will make it a point to think about things I'm thankful for daily. Yes Yes
    5. I will catch up on billing so I can actually get paid for all this work. No Yes, done!!
    6. I will get in 2-3 big blue bottles of water daily. Maybe No
    7. I will get in at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies daily. Yes Yes
    8. I will not allow the things I have to do to get in the way of exercise. Yes No

So, not my greatest day. It has been a long time since I have been stretched this thin at work; basically, I am doing a little bit more than double what I usually do in any given week. But that's no excuse not to take care of myself. I will do better tomorrow :)

canary52 12-13-2010 04:06 PM

12/12 and 12/13

1) meditate; it really helps -yes/ yes
    2) get back to writing -no, boo hiss/yes
    3) treat myself better by eating better -yes and the scale finally moved today/yes but ate more
    4) endeavor to keep those calories at 1500 or lower; plan those meals! -1000, how did that happen? I did plan my meals and ate less, that's how!/1639
    5) go to the gym and not overdo it so I can continue to do it - yes and it was great/did floor exercises at home-abs and legs
    6) bring those clothes sitting on my landing to Good Will -I got them into my car, does that count?/still in the car!
    7) not say yes when I mean no especially to my child who badgers me till I relent; remember that being a parent isn't being a buddy -eh I'm still a wuss, getting better though/I'm angry at her and I guess I was pretty mean but she wasn't much better (she's 16)
    8) drink more water!!! I tried! Not 96 oz though!!! I gotta work up to that!!!!/ very dehydrated; I am shrivelling and drying up as I age

mommaof2girls 12-13-2010 04:10 PM

Day 1...

I will drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day YES
    I will keep up with the blog I started as my way of acountability YES
    I will start exercising again even if only 10 minutes a day YES
    I will stick to my points and not go over them YES
    I will keep my enthusiasm up for my progress YES
    I will try to be more patient with the kids YES...even with the snow day today
    I will not be down on myself for little set backs YES
    I will plan out Christmas breakfast so it is healthy & easy to eat YES...started looking at options

gmantych 12-13-2010 11:52 PM

Here is my report card for Monday:

1. 1500 calories per day-NO
    2. Exercise 45 minutes per day-Yes
    3. 128 oz water-NO 115
    4. Stay away for the holiday goodies!-No this was my calorie downfall!
    5. Be more patient with DH and children-YES
    (Borrowed this from mommaof2girls)
    6. Stay focused at work-NO, here on FitDay too much!
    (only 2 weeks left here)

The scales are up this morning!:mad: Only me to blame though and that darn fudge, brownie, and banana bread that my coworker brought. It just kept calling my name!!!

Oh well today is another day and I am going to make it better!!!!

rubypeanut 12-14-2010 02:02 AM

I have a new goal - start tracking my calories again (I haven't done it since spring!). I found a new tracking widget to put on my igoogle page which is really fast and easier for me to navigate than the one here on fitday. For example, I just found out that my breakfast has totalled 800 calories (duh, 2 panera bagels w cream cheese!).

I'm not doing so well on my rest goal - I went to bed at 8:30 PM but woke up at 11 PM and couldn't fall back asleep (even after taking additional NyQuil at midnight) until 4 am, and woke up at 5:30 AM.

On the plus side, yesterday the scale said 119 in the AM and today it said 115 in the morning (water weight - PMS ending).

kittensniffles 12-14-2010 06:36 AM

Is it possible to jump on this bandwagon a day or two late? I hope so! Trying to get more active on the message boards to keep myself accountable.

Here are my goals...

1. 72oz of water daily (that's about as much as I can do right now...trying to build)
    2. Continue to log my food EVERY day (I'm notorious for stopping and starting)
    3. Stay under 1400 cals everyday
    4. Take the pup on a 40 minute walk a day
    5. Survive finals without letting myself get too stressed out or bogged down (Grad school might just be a synonym for stress I think).

Stats:
    Height:5'9
    Starting Weight: 168.8
    Current Weight: 166.8
    Current goal: 160 by Dec. 26th
    Final Goal: 130

canary52 12-14-2010 03:43 PM

Welcome kittensniffles (love the name) jump on! The more the merrier! Being a student is a FT time and being a grad student is like 2 FT jobs (at least.) Good luck with the goals and the finals! Keep us posted on how it's going.

Rubypeanut, how ar eyou feeling?