FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   22 lbs by June??? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/2508-22-lbs-june.html)

etlosenow 11-29-2010 04:14 AM

22 lbs by June???

Hi,

I'd like to lose a lb/week til summer. Any takers??? Currently 137 and would like to get to 115. I am just under 5'2''. Need additional motivation...137 has now become my "standard" weight after gaining about 5 lbs from inactivity while recuperating from a high ankle sprain. First need to get rid of that and continue (hopefully).

a.vannice 11-29-2010 07:53 AM

I'm down

Hi there! Your goal and goal time are similar to mine (25-30lbs by the end of May). So far I've lost 10lbs in the last 5 weeks (YAY), but I know that the closer you get to your goal, the more difficult it is because your body is holding on to that weight... so I will definitely need the motivation then.

I'm really into nutrition, so I like to talk about food and share recipes and stuff...

where you thinking about a weekly weighin? I've been weighing in on Monday because it gives me that extra push to be healthy and active over the weekend. So far it's been working!!

etlosenow 11-30-2010 12:58 AM

Monday weigh in sounds great. I also try to eat healthy. Don't eat out, no prepackaged food. Vegetarian, unfortunately eating more pasta. Need to increase the lean protein: usually tofu, beans, quinoa, chickpeas, milk and yogurt as protein sources. Brown rice, tortillas and wheat bread and (too much) pasta as carbs. Eat fruit daily, but not as much as I should...too few vegetables for a supposed vegetarian:o and congrats on the 10 pounds.

dawnmillions 11-30-2010 01:05 AM

hey - I am a vegetarian too and eat too many carbs :p. I like the Mon weigh-in idea since the accountability would do me well. Just joined Fitday about a week ago. Have 12 lbs I would like to lose but I am still nursing my 10-month old so not sure if it will all go away before I wein him completely. Hope to see some progress though and it would be nice to get encouragement from others success. Good luck!

a.vannice 11-30-2010 03:16 AM

as far as protein, i read the other day that buckwheat pasta has the most protein of any other pasta. part of my diet was to get rid of processed grains (I was having a major problem with regulating my blood sugar, and crashes were causing me to binge), so i haven't been eating bread and pasta. i use spaghetti squash instead. have you tried it? it's sooo good... it does taste squash-y at first but if you add salt, pepper, and garlic powder, you can use it like spaghetti.

so what are your diet/exercise plans?

MischaKitty 11-30-2010 04:01 AM

I'd like to get in on this too. Although, currently I have not achieved a -1.0 lbs a week rate (more like just half of that - but this, without exercising).

So now I'm going to try to exercise at least every second day. I'm planning to use the workouts included in EA Active Sports Personal Trainer (for the Wii) plus some interval workouts from nowloss.com. I started on Sunday with intervals, yesterday I did 1.5 hrs on the Wii (so much energy), but now my legs are dead after so many lunges, side-lunges, squats, etc so I'm doubtful I'll feel up to doing anything tonight...

BTW I have since replaced spaghetti noodles with spaghetti squash and I found the switch easy! I just slice it in two, scoop out the seeds and microwave (flesh side down) for 7 mins. I let it cool for 2 mins and then scrape the inside with the tines of a fork to make "noodles". The only thing I don't like so much is the texture after it's been refrigerated and reheated (too mushy?) so I buy the smaller squashes to have little to no leftovers.

bobbienne 11-30-2010 07:30 AM

Hi...I have set a goal of 32.2 more lbs by March 31st but 22lbs by summer may be more my speed :) If you don't mind, I would like to do my own weigh-in on Fridays if you guys don't mind me doing it on a different day.

etlosenow 11-30-2010 09:23 AM

Hello all,
Thanks for brining up the spaghetti squash. I have used in the past but sort of fell out of it. I will try it again. I have a son who is 15 yo, small for his age, very lean but he seems to have an extra stomach when I make spaghetti...it's by far his favorite. I have never used spaghetti squash with marinera sauce...usually olive oil/butter and herbs...does it come out OK with spaghetti sauce?

I'd be glad for more company on this journey, weigh-ins on Monday or Fridays are fine. Whatever works for you.

BTW, fairly new to this also....so MisaKitty (or anyone else who knows) how do you put your weight and goals at the end of your post? Thanks to everyone for responding. looking forward to seeing how we all are doing.

I'm in southern WI so, I won't be walking outside as much anymore...will need to do more indoor exercises as I'm So Cal. transplant and I haven't caught on with the ski, x-country ski activities--I'm somewhat of a winter wimp.

bobbienne 11-30-2010 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by etlosenow (Post 26964)
Hello all,
Thanks for brining up the spaghetti squash. I have used in the past but sort of fell out of it. I will try it again. I have a son who is 15 yo, small for his age, very lean but he seems to have an extra stomach when I make spaghetti...it's by far his favorite. I have never used spaghetti squash with marinera sauce...usually olive oil/butter and herbs...does it come out OK with spaghetti sauce?

I'd be glad for more company on this journey, weigh-ins on Monday or Fridays are fine. Whatever works for you.

BTW, fairly new to this also....so MisaKitty (or anyone else who knows) how do you put your weight and goals at the end of your post? Thanks to everyone for responding. looking forward to seeing how we all are doing.

I'm in southern WI so, I won't be walking outside as much anymore...will need to do more indoor exercises as I'm So Cal. transplant and I haven't caught on with the ski, x-country ski activities--I'm somewhat of a winter wimp.

I am warming up the treadmill myself...I blew out a knee a few years back on ice so I tend to do more indoors...except for x-country skiing over the holidays.

In regards to your signature, go to the top of any forum page,look under welcome etlosenow, click on quick links, then scroll down to user control panel and click on edit your signature.

Good night ladies!

MischaKitty 12-01-2010 12:18 AM

etlosenow, User Control Panel is also shortened to User CP at the top left (white text on the blue bar). When you edit your Signature, you write it out how you like. It's pretty intuitive so it will detect new lines (when you press Enter). To add color, change font, change size, you use highlight the text you want and use the control buttons at the top of the text box (same as when you write a post). Just keep in mind that when you change something, it has to be between the two "tags" that define the change.

ex. example bold red what written between the tags [*B][*COLOR="Red"] example bold red [*/COLOR][*/B] without the *'s

The spaghetti squash is great with spaghetti sauce and I've started using turkey meatballs (but lean hamburger works too).

Also, I've never had much of an appreciation for the winter time and haven't gotten into any winter sports. I don't have workout equipment other than a yoga mat (to soften the impact on my feet), some dumbbells, and the Wii. I also don't have much willpower, that's why I've been enjoying the Wii and intervals, I just listen for the next beep of the instructions... I get too bored of anything too repetitious - I can't stand jogging.... But, take it easy while recovering from your sprain.

Bobbienne, keep at it on the treadmill! I'd also like to lose 30 lbs-ish by the end of April because I start Summer courses in May and I want all my friends to ooooh and aaaah. I would also take me to within 2-3 lbs of a healthy BMI for my height. However, the -2lbs a week requires a deficit of 1000 calories a day and so far I haven't been able to achieve that... I think I could get to 20 lbs though as that requires 500-600 calorie deficit a day.

a.vannice & dawnmillions, as I'm learning more about nutrition it's become evident that carbs from fruit and vegetable are complex so I don't think you need to worry much about those, after that whole wheat and grains are better than any refined (white) carbs. I've cut out as many refined carbs as I could, white bread, minute rice, pasta, pizza, were staples for me and I've replaced them with any whole wheat versions that I could find....

On the subject of protein, have you girls considered protein powder (or bars) as a dietary supplement? I have one that's made from whey (a by-product of cheese making - made from cow's milk) (assuming milk and cheese products are something you allow in your diets) and for 22g, there's 90 calories and only 1g of carbs with 18g of protein. Once I started taking this I noticed that I was finally achieving the correct carb/protein/fat ratio on my nutrition pie chart (or thereabouts). I had trouble doing this before, I'm not a vegetarian, but the point I'm trying to make is that I think it must be a hard to do for anyone with just regular food and stay within your calorie limits for the day. Mine's vanilla flavored so I've been experimenting with dissolving it in water, milk, coffee. Also, I read somewhere on these forums that people who get maybe 20% or less protein a day will lose less overtime compared to those with 30% minimum protein (however, I can't cite my sources at this time so you may want to do your own digging).