Notices

22 lbs by June???

Old 12-01-2010, 12:38 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the tips re protein and using spaghetti squash. I used to use spaghetti squash all the time back home but I am in Germany now and it is hard to come by. I must make an effort to search it out. I love all kinds of squash so I don't mind the taste at all.

Another thing I have used in the past as a pasta substitute is yam noodles. They are super low cal and you can get them at Oriental specialty shops - unfortuantely I haven't come across those here yet.

I have found it impossible to get even 20% protein on my pie charts so far. I need to eat less overall I think and really focus on upping my protein intake. I have tried protein powders in the past but never really cared for them or stuck with them. I am quite active and since I am still breastfeeding I am having a hard time adjusting to eating less in order to lose.

So far I am happy with my exercise but would like to do more running. I have found increasing my exercise hasn't had much impact on my weight loss and have had better success in the past by being stricter with my food intake.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,
Thanks for the info everyone.
I hope to use my currently neglected weight bench 2 x a week. (Tues/ Thursday perhaps)
and some cardio 3 x per wk. (MWF) I have some workout tapes I like and will usually dance if I just put in a good fast tempo CD.

So far I have lost 3 lbs in 3 days, which is more than I plan to do. It's just that I have been eating lots of fruits and veggies this week because I felt so bloated after the mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and vegetarian stuffing from the long weekend. Today, I will probably add some brown rice and butternut squash/peanut butter stew to the menu.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:48 AM
FitDay Member

If you're happy with what you're doing in terms of diet and exercise than that's what's most important!

I didn't exercise yesterday (much too sore and stiff) so I'm counting it as a rest day, but I also went over my alotted calories and fell into the over calorific needs (ie overeating) range.

I was presented with a temptation and I although I wasn't craving it I went for it anyways. It was a dinner with some friends but it was at a fast food place (we're poor students). I felt so guilty about it and kind of angry at my BF for suggesting it to me. We sort of argued about it and talked it out and made up. I was really upset with myself because I had worked out so hard the day before, and the food wasn't that good and upset my stomach. It just didn't seem worth it. It was like the work I had done had been erased with a stupid single meal. But, I've been depressed lately so there were other issues I was upset about. It was raining yesterday, so we had to walk home in the dark, in the cold, and it was generally just a depressing day and I teetered over to the darkside. At least I got a good night's rest and I'm feeling 100% this morning and ready to keep on track.

dawnmillions, don't be too surprised if you get most of your weight loss from restricting your diet. That's actually pretty normal (considering most of us come from a point where we were overeating in the first place).

I know what you mean when you say exercise doesn't seem to do too much. For example, when I am exercising with an elevated heart rate I will burn about 150 calories per half hour (at least it does for me - it's different depending on your weight). That doesn't seem like very much in the big picture, 500 calories for 1lb a week, or, 1000 calories for 2lb a week...

However, it will give your metabolism a kick-start, it will help you build muscle mass, exercising regularly can also give you more energy (more awake, more aware, more motivated), reduce your apetite (reduce cravings), and help you rest better (better sleep).

Now it's only been since Sunday since I started my exercise plan but I'm feeling the effects already! I'm already sleeping better and feeling less hungry. Today is an exercise day so I will let you know how it goes later tonight (I'm on Eastern Standard Time)...

etlosenow, your workout routine sounds pretty ideal. Don't be afraid to lift heavy weights when using your weight bench. I'd use my dumbells if I could when doing the wii exercises but it's too awkward to hold the wiimotes and the dumbells in one hand. I'm going to get a more resistant resistance band instead to try and get the same effect.

Also, peanut butter stew? Did I misinterpret that?

Comments:

1) Drink lots of water as this will help with burning fat.

2) Protein will help you curb your cravings for fatty, salty, and sweet foods (usually loaded with empty carbs) and help you stick to your diet plan. I don't recommend taking the protein supplement on it's own. Definitely eat some from foods like beans, peas, lentils, and meats and then supplement with a protein powder/bar/other supplement as needed. Try to aim for 30% on the nutrition pie chart.

3) Plan ahead. I usually go over my target calories if I don't have an idea of what I'll be eating or don't plan a lunch. It works best when I enter my meals into FitDay in advance so I can see what fits, what doesn't, and play around with the serving sizes until I get it right.

Last edited by MischaKitty; 12-01-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all, I agree with the protein thing...I ate extra today and I will be over by supper...

Sometimes it is best to avoid restricting yourself too much during breastfeeding without professional guidance....however, having said that, that is when my weight piled on... I lost 20 lbs during pregnancy, eating a lot. When my child was born I was 30 lbs lighter than before, but then I gained and gained and have had problems ever since.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:46 PM
FitDay Member

Default Me too.

I have a similar goal, mine is a little larger. I want to lose about 40 pounds by the end of May.

I just joined today and just kicked off my diet today.

I am a vegetarian also so i know how hard it is to stay away from the carbs.

Monday weigh in sounds good. If you all will have me.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
FitDay Member

Hi all,

Mischakitty: It is a recipe modified from a restaurant. It had been called Inner Warmth Peanut Stew at the Great Dane Restaurant in Madison WI...Along with lots of onions, garlic, ginger, cilantro, tomato,habanero peppers and pear juice, etc, it also has butternut squash chunks and chunky organic peanut butter thrown in. I usually make a large batch in the fall and freeze it into smaller portions. It's hard to get the full break down of the nutrition info since I am not patient enough to list each ingredient...overall I think it falls in the "healthy" catergory. I usually serve it with brown rice.

Ashley: Welcome Aboard!

I remember when I was nursing...I nursed my son and daughter back to back as they are only 17 months apart. Burned many extra calories then!! My daughter went cold-turkey and weaned herself when she was just shy of her first B-day...She went from 4 full nursings a day to ZIP!!!Ouch!!! then came the extra pounds to increase the (emotional) pain. Oh, well; she's now 14. When can I no longer blame baby fat?...is 14 years too long?...just asking. Have a good evening...It's 10 pm in WI.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:18 PM
FitDay Member

It's 11 pm where I am. I just finished a workout and burned 320 calories! Woohoo! But... I ate 3 pieces of bread tonight (soup and one and a half sandwiches)... so only managed to bring things down to maintain... I'm disappointed in myself because I ate so well at lunch, tuna salad (tuna, light mayo, relish), and celery but managed to screw it up with too many carbs again.... ahhh I should have stuck to just one piece of bread folded in two.

At least my body feels great after that workout. I'm off to shower and bed and will try again tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:20 PM
FitDay Member

Hi all,
I'd like to join too if that's alright. I've been kind of stuck around the same 148 for a while and would really like to get to 140 (and then lower). I've tried eating more protein which helped me shed a few extra pounds and then it slowed again, tried eating a little more which actually helped a little too but I always seem to lose a pound or two and then get stuck a couple weeks or so. I'm trying to be more consistent with my eating so hopefully coming here will help me be more accountable. I crept back up a couple pounds after week trip for Thanksgiving visiting friends and tailgating.

I use protein powder and really like it. I was having trouble keeping my protein up and was feeling like all I could ever eat was chicken or cottage cheese so it helped me keep it higher. I put a little in my coffee (mine's chocolate) or after a hard workout I make a shake with chocolate soy milk, half a frozen banana, a tbsp of low fat peanut butter, and ice. Yum!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:40 PM
FitDay Member

I was also hoping to lose a good amount of weight by early summer. I'm supposed to be getting married a year from June, and I know that it can be harder than I think to lose weight, and I'm not happy with how I am now. I just need motivation. I know what to do, but its really hard finding the time. I'm a full time college student and have a part time job as well, and between homework and working, it seems so hard to find time to go over to the campus gym and workout. I think my smartest move was signing up for a class next semester called walking for fitness. Basically, we meet twice a week to power walk for about an hour. I'm hoping it can help motivate me to find more time to exercise outside of class. I know the Holiday's are coming up, and I just need some support. All of my friends are thin, and none of them worried about losing weight, and they're all sweet "you're beautiful how you are" and junk. I'm 170 lbs. Its just too much. I'm not happy, I stress, I don't sleep well. I'm just looking for support. For someone doing the same thing I am, and with the same general goals. I'm glad I found this site. I joined it a while ago, but forgot about it for sometime. When I found it again, I thought maybe I could use it to benefit me.

Thanks you guys!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 AM
FitDay Member

so i started a new exercise plan, i was all excited to post about it yesterday but for some reason i can't get on the forums with my home computer lame....

anyway, i started the self.com 'lose 8lbs in 30 days.' it's really cool; you can select whether you want to work out at home or in the gym, and it gives you a daily workout. yesterday was my first one, and it totally kicked my a$$. it was interval running on the treadmill, walk one minute, sprint the next minute, and you start at the fast past and low incline, and then gradually you increase the incline while decreasing your sprint speed. i was seriously holding on for dear life.. it was the best cardio workout i've gotten in a loooong time. i didn't realize that even though i've been working out, i haven't really pushed myself enough.

so that's gonna be my exercise plan, just do whatever the daily workout is until 12/24 (mini goal day!!!!!) and hopefully i'll be very happy with the results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.