Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Pregnant and trying not to gain 50+ pounds this time >

Pregnant and trying not to gain 50+ pounds this time

Community
Notices

Pregnant and trying not to gain 50+ pounds this time

Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Pregnant and trying not to gain 50+ pounds this time

I am pregnant with my fifth child and always retained about 10 pounds after each previous pregnancy...I'm not trying to lose weight, of course, but I really don't want to gain too much weight that is SO HARD to get off. I've never watched what I ate before, but I need to do something this time. The extra 40 pounds I've gained in the past 10 years has been very hard on my self-esteem. The problem is I'm always hungry, and although I eat relatively healthy (lots of juice, milk, lean meat) there's just too many calories in what I eat, I guess.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:59 PM
FitDay Member

I gave birth to my 3rd child about 8 weeks ago. In two previous pregnancies i put on some weight and lost it, but always put on about 10lb after i stopped breastfeeding This last pregnancy was different, i put on about 35lb (I'm only 5'2'' and i started with BMI on 29) after birth i found myself weighting almost 18lb more than before. Thats why i'm here on fitday i want to tell you what i think i did wrong so that you can avoid doing the same mistakes.
1) watch your sugar intake, that includes juices too. One or two cups are fine but I found myself drinking up to a liter of undiluted OJ a day, and that is a lot of calories.
2) keep moving during pregnancy, go for walks or do house chores. Some women sit all day, became very unfit and tired, and that makes them sit even more. I'm not saying join the gym, just move around naturally.
3) be careful what you use for morning sickness. Some women swear by an ice-cold can of coke, first thing in the morning, or tons of plain biscuits or white bread toast.
4) congratulation on your pregnancy