FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Why the weight gain?????? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/2157-why-weight-gain.html)

traceymc1985 10-12-2010 11:15 AM

Why the weight gain??????

Hiya im hoping there might be somebody who can help advice me!! Last week i went to weigh in (at weightwatchers) and was thrilled id lost 4lbs. It was the week after my period so i guess that caused it. This week on the other hand i have gained back 2.5lbs!! I would understand if id eaten badly or exceeded my points allowance but i didnt. I am wondering am i eating enough or is it because i dont eat regular meals. I tend to not eat all day then have it all within a couple of hours. I know this is silly and am making the vow this week to eat at proper meal times and not binge eat. I dont think i can recognise hunger until im ravenous!!!
I knew that 4lbs last week was too much as i dont do extra exercise apart from walking (i do want to change that). I just know that i havent had enough food to gain wait and deprived myself of lots of tasty foods all week. Has anyone got any advice as to why they think ive gained when ive only eaten 1200 cals or less everyday this week. Is it the kinds of foods-its mainly been fruit and veg, fat free yoghurts, low cal bread, ryvitas. It seems so unfair. I am ready to change though and eat properly i just find it hard to eat 3 meals a day cos it feels too much. I thought i was doing good and doing things to suit me but even though its worked all of a sudden this blip has happened. Thanks Ladies

Lizzycritter 10-12-2010 11:36 AM

I find that when I have a dramatic loss like that, it often rebounds a bit in the next few days, like I just happened to hit an artificially low point on the scale. Weight can fluctuate 5 pounds in a single day depending on how much water you're carrying. Maybe you had a high salt meal somewhere along the line, or maybe you were just a bit dehydrated at the last weigh-in. As long as the overall trend is a downward one, it's all good. Don't let it get you down, because that leads to donut therapy :D

almeeker 10-12-2010 11:37 AM

Two questions:
Did you drink enough water?
How long has it been since you went #2?

I've weighed as much as 4# less after some QT on the toilet. Drinking enough water is also really important. I suspect since you don't eat at regular intervals you don't get nearly enough water down.

GameGal 10-12-2010 12:47 PM

I agree with Liz and Almeeker and also I have a word of caution on the one main meal a day.. I lived like that most of my life. Was never hungry until 8pm or later and then had a large meal ( although mine was usually well over 3500 caloies due to bad choices.. smoked sausage, bread pudding etc.)

I discovered that even if you are eating the correct amount of calories, but only once a day instead of spreading it out, the body still does the starvation wrestling with the fat. If you eat all at once, not only do the carbs ( sugar ) overwhelm your body insuline and so most of what you have eaten gets stored... but 4 - 8 hours later when the body expects more food for energy and its not there, it bounces back into holding on to whatever was in it last.

I am not a breakfast person either but I got some Zone Bars and cottage cheese. When I am not in the mood for one, I can grab the other. Zone bars are great sources of protien and come in various flavors and can be eaten on the run. :D

traceymc1985 10-13-2010 09:27 AM

Thanks so much-it makes so much sense what you are saying and it seems clearer to me now why this happened.
Almeeker= i have #2 every morning at near abouts the same time. On water i admit i dont drink enough but last few days ive really tried to get more of it. Dont really know how much is enough? Or too much if possible.
I have also got a bladder infection coming on and am going to the doctors tomorrow. It has frightened me that i may be not doing the best for my body to lose weight and am trying to get into a regular eating pattern. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner today and yesterday and i admit i feel much better although i did go quite over tonight. I regret it but glad that ive given my body some fuel and not feeling hungry going to bed.
Thankyou all for replying and helping me make sense of it all. It can all be a bit tricky to know what the best foods to eat are. I suppose even after two years of dieting im still figuring out ways that are best.
I just hope i can fix things and not give up again.

GameGal 10-13-2010 09:37 AM

Ask your doctor how much water might be good for you.. usually people with cardiac problems/heart failure are restricted to 50 oz a day.. Most people I know go by the long standing one of 8 oz 8 x a day ( 64 oz) and some people believe 100 oz a day is best. So I would say somewhere between 64 and 100 would probably be good for you.

The other suggestion that has helped me immensely is get a kitchen scale! (Walmart has them under $5) and weigh everything until you really know how much one serving of anything is. I was shocked!

You might also ask your practitioner how many calories a day would work for you ( however, be prepared to hear 1200 LOL!)... that seems to be the standard they all go by, but if he is up to date with nutrition, he might give you a valid number or... ask for a referal to see a dietician. :D