Notices

October Ovations: 100+ Ladies Club

Old 10-27-2010, 04:12 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Awww, thanks honey.

1. Calorie budget 1,350-1,550 weekdays, 1,800 weekends. Do I blow that out of the water? You betcha, sometimes I've blown it all to bits before lunch, but I try my best to get right back on the wagon at the very next meal. Do I skip meals if I'm way over? Not on your life, that would just prime me up for a bigger fall.
2. Yes I exercise. For years I faithfully went to the gym 1-2/weekly. At one point I was complaining to a friend that also happens to be a physical therapist that I'd been going to the gym for years and never really gained any ground. He actually snorted, and said "a woman your age needs 1 hour of cardio daily just for heart health, never mind making any progress". Excuse me? "A woman my age", what the? Now just where does he get off telling me I'm old? He's the same age. Not long after I went out and bought myself an elliptical, and then the kids got a Wii Fit Plus for Christmas. Anyhoo, to answer your question, I do approximately 4-5 hours/week on the elliptical, an hour M-F + 15 minutes of shoulder exercises (body ball, light weights and stretchy bands) and 10-15 min of stretching. When I can't face it (or I've overslept), I do a 30 day shred or some Wii Fit Plus. 1-2 times/week I hit the gym and do 15 minutes on the stationary bike, 30 minutes of weightlifting and 15-20 minutes of shoulder rehab stuff, which is basically is like modified push-ups, dips, and core strengthening. That's about it.
Almeeker,

OH MY WORD!!! I am so tired from just reading your post let alone ever think of exercising that much! I have been hitting the gym only once a week for 1/2 on the eliptical and 1/2 hour routine with weights. I find it really hard to find the time. I'm going to have to make some big changes in this area.

I appreciate your advise on calories and not skipping meals to make up for the day before. That makes really good sense.

I have been doing better lately. It's taking me longer than I had originally planned to lose the weight but I tell myself that it's not a race. As long as I'm making steady progress then I will get there eventually.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Susan8Less
Almeeker,

OH MY WORD!!! I am so tired from just reading your post let alone ever think of exercising that much! I have been hitting the gym only once a week for 1/2 on the eliptical and 1/2 hour routine with weights. I find it really hard to find the time. I'm going to have to make some big changes in this area.

I appreciate your advise on calories and not skipping meals to make up for the day before. That makes really good sense.

I have been doing better lately. It's taking me longer than I had originally planned to lose the weight but I tell myself that it's not a race. As long as I'm making steady progress then I will get there eventually.
I was the same way when I started, never made time for the workout beyond 1-2/week (and that was only because DH almost never misses his work out time at the gym). Gradually I've added the time in, mostly because I had to increase my burn in order to keep the scale moving downward. When I was 244 pounds, 15-20 minutes on the elliptical burned like 400 calories, now that I'm in the 150's an hour only burns 600. I didn't just wake up one morning and start working out for an hour every day, I've had to find ways to make it my habit. One of the biggest motivators for me is TV, I happen to like some of the shows that are on in the morning, so I actually will get up, change into workout clothes and hop on the elliptical, just to watch the Antiques Road Show.

Believe me you aren't the only one that taking longer, my original goal date was August 14th.

Last edited by almeeker; 10-27-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome ashleygraham! You have chosen the right group for support!

Tonight is weigh-in and this weekend is measurement time. Crossing my fingers!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nikiwilburn
almeeker you are so inspiring! I'm about where you were when you started (240lbs). I am in my 20s and have struggled with my weight since puberty (10yo). Unfortunately, I'm well trained in fitness and nutrition (bachelors in sports medicine and athletic training and a masters as a physician assistant) and yet my weight is completely out of control. My wonderful husband of three years is extremely supportive of me, but I wish he would just come out and say honey youre fat, lose weight (of course he's much too caring and kind to ever do that, but I need serious motivation). Because I've always been told "youre so beautiful and voluptuous" and "wow, your hair is gorgeous" etc, I've pretended my weight didn't matter. I've put on 40+ pounds in less than a year (mostly due to the stress of clinical rotations as a PA, but that's no excuse). I've always told myself I carry my weight well and that no one really knows what I weigh so why does it matter....well no one can carry 240lbs on 5'7" frame and look good, so I have to be serious with myself. I'm hoping for some tough love and advice as I make the journey down to 150lbs (my weight in middle school).
Today I'm changing my life!
Congrats on your commitment to you Nikiwilburn! I hope to see you on the site for many months to come. It's all about what we want and how badly we want it. I want to be healthy and free from the flare up of my condition - diverticular disease, and so far I'm 6 months without needing antibiotics. I'm following the doctor's recommendations, but the metamucil each day makes me feel like a good little 90 y/o, even though my birth certificate says I'm just shy of 40 y/o.

It's great you've started down this road now, it took me a while to find my reason. We can do this! Welcome to all our newcomers!

Almeeker you are inspiring, awesome and wonderfully kind. We, your DH and DD's are all very fortunate to have you! I hope all is progressing well for your DH's recovery and send my healing thoughts along too.

Hugs to all and I hope the Great Pumpkin is kind to all of you!
Old 10-30-2010, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by harpegcanuck
Almeeker you are inspiring, awesome and wonderfully kind. We, your DH and DD's are all very fortunate to have you! I hope all is progressing well for your DH's recovery and send my healing thoughts along too.

Hugs to all and I hope the Great Pumpkin is kind to all of you!
You are so sweet harpegcanuck. You know I tell my husband all the time how lucky he is to be married to me. Usually he just smirks and rolls his eyes. I'm pretty lucky to be married to him truthfully, even after 15 years together we still like each other plenty. And we've been very fortunate in the offspring department as well, they're not perfect, but they are pretty darn fantastic. Seriously, parent/teacher conferences wouldn't be any better if I wrote the script for them myself.

DH is doing pretty well, he's still a little sore, but feeling well enough that he's doing things he probably shouldn't be (like his wife). TMI, sorry. His Atro-fib events have been few and far between and very very short, and his incision is healing up pretty well. We're hopeful that once he's fully healed he'll be able to go off the meds, fingers crossed, and healing thoughts gladly accepted.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry that I've been missing in action all week. My computer bust and I've done 3 shifts at work instead of just one. I slacked a bit on my off days, but I've still had a 1lb loss and hopefully I've learnt enough to manage my workload better for when I have overtime again.
I hope everyone is doing OK!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default Help!!!!

I am in real trouble, i had a wedding to attend today and i tried my best to follow my strict non carb regime but i messed up big time.
i avoided all the breads and pastas, just had the meats and a flute of champaigne, with a very small slice of the cake just for good luck.......
in total i ate 1700 calories....i am thinking maybe i should drink some warm sea water? to induce vomiting ....or it will all stick on me, ...i was sooo happy i was 88 kilos this morning!!! ( and tomorrow is halloween with all the kids round my house! i am really desperate please help me!!!!
Old 10-30-2010, 10:01 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know what diet you are on or why you are not eating carbs at all, but your body needs SOME carbs to function. I do realize there are some diets out there that say for X amount of time, you shouldn't have any, but if you stay on them any length of time, you will find they DO add some back eventually because it is unrealistic to live the rest of your life without some.

2ndly, When I saw your idea of 'drink some sea saltwater' to make it purge... alarms went off in my head. This isnt a 'diet', it's a lifestyle change so no matter how badly you feel you went overboard today, you start with a whole new slate tomorrow. Personally, I dont find 1700 calories all that outrageous. Just add in some physical exercise to get that metabolism started and keep taking that next step in the journey.

As for Halloween candy, it can be very tempting! You have a couple options here.. 1) make sure you give out ALL that comes into your house so there is none left to eat. 2) Don't buy candy at all but instead hand out pennies or nickles or something halfway healthy.. popcorn balls.

And finally, you CAN eat come candy ( although again, it depends what diet you are on because candy is pure carbs) but you have to limit it to 1 portion a day and stick with that and then figure it into your calories/carbs and fat for the day.

Hope something in this helped. Good luck on your journey.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default feeling worse...but better

Hey Gamegal, thank you for your answer!!
i never find anyone online because of the big time difference between us and europe.....so i just got your answer.
In the end i had that awful mug of salt water, collected on a fast walk i did for 40 minutes, then it was too cold and too dark on the beach.
i must tell you that it works after about 20 minutes of agony and its terrible!
But i most definately got rid of the slice of cake and the flute of champaigne.
i felt lightheaded and needed to drink water continuosly for about three hours, then the salt probably got to my stomach or intestines and i was in the bathroom every 15 minutes.
I`ll never do it again. i am not made for this. i know people that just get rid of what they have eaten in two minutes, especially after a macdonalds and then they are as good as new when they come out the toilet but i am obviously not one of them.
still have a bad tummy.
I`ll take it as a lesson learnt ...... i cannot afford to fail, or the punishment is
painful.

today is halloween and i am having a party for my daughter, i made all the gory food and themed buffet, glad that did it without even licking a spoon .
How are you going to spend your halloween??