Community
Notices

October Ovations: 100+ Ladies Club

Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KSunshine22
Hey everyone, I'm Karen and I'm ready to change everything about myself. I am so tired of looking at myself in the mirror and feeling gross. Today I weighed in at 242 pounds, which is bad for any one, but I'm only 22. Three years ago I was at my lowest weight of around 150 which is great for my height. I cant believe it only took three years for me to put on nearly 100 pounds!! I lack motivation terribly! I bought a copy of 30 day shred now I need to force myself to do it. I want to lose 100 pounds in a year. I know its a tough goal but I need to start somewhere. I enjoy running but cant get motivated enough to get out there and do it. Its so frustrating!! I'm sorry this post is long and all over the place I just have a lot going on in my mind. I will post here every day but I really need the support. I know you all are or were in the same position and I look forward to becoming friends with everyone.

Karen.
Welcome Karen,
I'm 24 and weighed in at 298lbs when I started my journey about 4 months ago, so I understand how it feels to be young, facing obesity and not having the will to get off my backside and do something about it. I kept telling myself that I was young and would start another day, but after reading forums with overweight ladies 40+ who have never been in a healthy weight range I decided enough was enough, and I didn't want to be that person in 20 odd years.
As for reaching a 100lb weight loss in one year I don't think that is unreasonable as long as you're willing to work very hard for it! I've lost about 55lbs in 4 months, and while I do mess up my food with boring regularity, I usually spend between 1-4 hours a day in the gym, doing fitness classes and working on strength/core stability at home. I especially enjoy my classes as I'm deadly competitive and though I'm always the fattest person in there I just will not quit even if I throw up (which has happened a couple of times), pass out or simply fall down from exhaustion. You will be really surprised what your body is capable of if you can ignore that voice in your head screaming at you to quit. The other day I actually broke down and cried following a class because I surpassed all my limits and accomplished some things that I just couldn't have done even a few weeks ago.
My advice to you as you're just starting out is to try do something each day that you didn't think you could. Ignore any jibes or insults from others, you don't need anyone bringing you down. And don't beat yourself up when you take a wrong turn. No matter how many times you have to reverse if you believe in yourself and want it enough you can achieve anything!
Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 AM
FitDay Member

Karen!

Good for you for jumping on the good wagon. Ya know, the one where we're all here to help and support one another on this arduous journey.

I'm 23 and I started almost a month ago at 366, so, trust me, I know what it's like, if even more so. I have struggled with my weight my entire life, and for the first time I don't feel ashamed in trying to take control of my life. I'm in a good place now, and having all these lovely ladies to help me on my journey is so much better than doing it alone!

May you find peace in your heart on your journey. It will be hard, but sooo worth it in the end; at least, that's what I'm telling myself!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:08 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning ladies. I hope everyone is having a good week!

I have a question about your calorie allowance per day. When I first joined FitDay, the date I put my goal weight at seemed a little too close because I kept getting a message saying that in order to make that goal I would have to loose 3 pounds per week and should only be loosing 2 per week. At this time my calories were listed at 1316. So I went and extended my goal so I would be loosing 2 lbs per week and now my calories are at 1768. I know everyone is different but it seems that not many of you aim for this high of calorie intake per day. Do you think its too much.

Also, do any of you weigh daily? I have been and I am getting discouraged some. I weighed yesterday and it was 221.6 and today 223.6. I thought I did pretty good yesterday. I drank at least 80 oz of water. I still need to add more protein because I finished around 23%. Should I just weigh weekly?

I think I am going to join the Motivational Thread. I have been reading it a few times a day and it looks to be inspiring. I just have to decide on a few daily goals.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by gmantych
Good morning ladies. I hope everyone is having a good week!

I have a question about your calorie allowance per day. When I first joined FitDay, the date I put my goal weight at seemed a little too close because I kept getting a message saying that in order to make that goal I would have to loose 3 pounds per week and should only be loosing 2 per week. At this time my calories were listed at 1316. So I went and extended my goal so I would be loosing 2 lbs per week and now my calories are at 1768. I know everyone is different but it seems that not many of you aim for this high of calorie intake per day. Do you think its too much.

Also, do any of you weigh daily? I have been and I am getting discouraged some. I weighed yesterday and it was 221.6 and today 223.6. I thought I did pretty good yesterday. I drank at least 80 oz of water. I still need to add more protein because I finished around 23%. Should I just weigh weekly?

I think I am going to join the Motivational Thread. I have been reading it a few times a day and it looks to be inspiring. I just have to decide on a few daily goals.
Gmantych,
I think weighing every day is fine, but our bodies can fluctuate a tremendous amount just by the amount of sodium we intake, and even when I control the sodium my weight fluctuates depending on whether or not I ate a lot of carbs the day before or not. The trick is just not to get hung up on a number, but look at the number on the scale as an indicator of how your body reacts to different food, etc. A weekly 'trend' will tell you more. Lots of people weigh daily, but only record their weight at the end of the week.

The program's suggested calorie intake is based on average response to decreased calorie intake. There will always be fluctuation. You might want to try the 1700/day and just see how the weightloss goes. You can always decrease it more if you are unhappy with the results.

Dont get discouraged I try to remember that I can only focus on what I'm doing in the 'now'.. what I eat today, etc. But I keep reminding myself that what I'm doing is building a new lifestyle of fitness one day at a time.

Feel free to join us over in the motivational thread. I like posting in both threads. There is something very encouraging for me to know that there are other people here with more than 100 pounds to lose that are also trying to make lifestyle changes, and I appreciate this 100+ thread very much. The motivational goal thread is just a fun way to keep myself motivated.

Wishing you a great successful day, one day at a time!

Last edited by susanbfit; 10-13-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KSunshine22
Hey everyone, I'm Karen and I'm ready to change everything about myself. I am so tired of looking at myself in the mirror and feeling gross. Today I weighed in at 242 pounds, which is bad for any one, but I'm only 22. Three years ago I was at my lowest weight of around 150 which is great for my height. I cant believe it only took three years for me to put on nearly 100 pounds!! I lack motivation terribly! I bought a copy of 30 day shred now I need to force myself to do it. I want to lose 100 pounds in a year. I know its a tough goal but I need to start somewhere. I enjoy running but cant get motivated enough to get out there and do it. Its so frustrating!! I'm sorry this post is long and all over the place I just have a lot going on in my mind. I will post here every day but I really need the support. I know you all are or were in the same position and I look forward to becoming friends with everyone.

Karen.
Karen,
I dont think it hurts to want to lose 100 in a one year period; go for it. The important thing is not to get discouraged as your body adjusts and the weightloss slows. You can always adjust your goal up if you find its falling off a little slower than you planned. The important thing is to know that you are not making your changes for 'a year' but for a lifetime. I'm told if we focus on the changes, and not on the weight so much, the weight will come off. So set your goals on how you think you'll get that 100 pounds off, and then strive for those each day. You can do it!
Susan
Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 AM
FitDay Member

Hi ladies! *hugs and well wishes*

I have been very busy offline this past week, and apologize that I haven't posted more.

I hope you are all doing fabulous! As for me, I am stationary at my current weight, but it is also that TOM so, to be expected.

The cooler air is infiltrating the environment, and Autumn leaves are in their full splendor of color! I am motivated to move, move, move! The brisk feel outside makes it so comfortable for walking, not to mention, literally 'warming up'. heheh

How are your exercise commitments going? What type of exercise is your favorite?

Well, keep up the good work! Just about mid-point to the month and we want lots of Ovations by the end of it! WOO HOO!

Smoosh
Old 10-13-2010, 03:56 AM
FitDay Member

Alright ladies, I have a question.

I don't belong to a gym. I have no workout tools at my house. I work all day, but try to get a mile walk in at lunch.

What are some good exercises for me to do? What have been successful for you?

Much appreciated.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

nru, if you google exercises you can do while sitting, there are a bunch of really good 3-5-10 min workouts on-line. I've worked up a sweat more than once sitting here at my desk. Also if you don't have any workout equipment at home I suggest you get some. I have a pair of ankle/wrist weights, $12 at Walmart - LOVE THEM!!! Get some extra bang out of your lunch mile. You might also go to your local library and check out some workout videos. Also if you don't have any equipment and don't want too much for sake of storage, just do good old fashioned calisthenics. Crazy but true, all that stupid stuff you had to do in Jr. High gym class is still a great workout and better yet - it's FREE!!! Another good way to get in some extra movement is to wear headphones while you take care of the mundane stuff like folding laundry or running the vacuum, and shake your booty to the music. It sounds silly, but it makes the work go faster and it burns way more calories than it would otherwise.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

I also just read a good one if you have access to stairs. I will try to post it here for all:

1) walk up and down 1 flight normally.

2)Slowly walk up sideways, crossing bottom foot over the top one. Walk down normally. Repeat, facing the other direction.

3) Step up on the 1st stair, then down, starting with right foot (right up,left up, right down, left down) 10 times. Repeat starting with the left foot, 10 times.

4) Climb stairs 2 at a time and come down quickly using each stair.

5) Run up, walk down normally.

6) Repeat numbers 4 and 5 another 4 times.

7)At the bottom, place right foot on 1st or 2nd stair, bend knees, and lower into a lunge. Keep knee directly over your ankle as you do so. Push off with the right foot to return to start. Repeat with the left foot. Alternate feet for 20 lunges total.

8) Walk up and down the flight normally 1 time.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Susan-Thank you for the inspiring post. I think I am going to stay with the 1700 calories for a week and see what happens. Its was great to read the part about focusing on the "now"! I am going to start being more positive about this because I have been doing really good, especially when compared to my eating habits before!!

Smoosh-I loved your enthusiam about the fall weather! It has been really nice the last few weeks. I live in NC and for some reason the last 3 days it got back in the high 80's but today it has dropped back in the 70's. I think I am going to take a walk tonight.

nru-I do have a treadmill at home but I dont like to use it very much. I would rather walk outside or do an exercise video. I have Walk Away the Pounds, which I think is a decent workout. Also, I bought the Firm two years ago, used it one time, and just got it out again Sunday. I have been using their videos all week. I noticed that Walmart has alot of exercise videos for only $10.00, including the firm videos. But Almeeker is right, you really need to at least get some small weights. It does make a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.