FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   October Ovations: 100+ Ladies Club (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/2089-october-ovations-100-ladies-club.html)

WeightlossBoo 10-04-2010 08:22 AM

Been away visiting friends for a few days but still managed to pull a 4.5lb weight loss, despite a few poor food choices and almost total lack of exercise.
Don't you just love it when that happens?! :D

auntmayo09 10-04-2010 08:58 AM

Hi I'm new here 30 yrs old need to lose bout 65 lbs plus more but as of now 65lbs is great..i need support.ive been trying eat healthy but exercising not sure where to begin..plz help support me..

maddyhoe 10-04-2010 09:10 AM

BAM, love it weightlossboo I'm impressed that you lost weight while away, congrats!

Wecome newcomers I love that there seem to be a couple more new people everytime I come on here, that's awesome it's a great place for support!

Does anyone around here have an eating cheat day? I haven't been doing well on weekends, not really bad just not good and I'm thinking about just being easier on myself about food on weekends.

Almeeker after some blood work this week I'm going to do a follow up with my Dr. to see what's up with the weight loss meds. The only reason I would really consider them is because I am the most impatient person on the planet and I think it would be very motivating to see bigger numbers, I know it's not the smartest reason but if the side effects are horrendous I'm not willing to risk it so I'll keep everyone posted.

almeeker 10-04-2010 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo (Post 22439)
Been away visiting friends for a few days but still managed to pull a 4.5lb weight loss, despite a few poor food choices and almost total lack of exercise.
Don't you just love it when that happens?! :D

I would LOVE to LOVE it when that happens, but lately I can't seem to move that scale in the downward direction to save my life. Argh!!! I've been very very good today, so maybe this week I can break through.

Originally Posted by auntmayo09 (Post 22440)
Hi I'm new here 30 yrs old need to lose bout 65 lbs plus more but as of now 65lbs is great..i need support.ive been trying eat healthy but exercising not sure where to begin..plz help support me..

Well, as far as exercise it's a little hard to say since I don't know where you're at. For me I worked on the little things first, like parking the car in the spot furthest from the door, running errands on foot. Then I started looking for more ways to work exercise into my routine. Now I the kids to school (weather permitting), take the kids to the pool at least once/week, sometimes twice. My morning routine now is that M-F I workout at home, usually for 60-75 min, some days it's all cardio, some times I do intervals with cardio and weightlifting and other days I goof off and use the Wii Fit Plus and play games til I hit 455 calories. Saturday I lift at the gym, and Sunday I'm something of a slacker and all I do is walk a mile to the grocery store, pick up the Sunday paper and walk back. Once a week I give myself the day off, it varies but usually I end up slacking on either Monday or Friday. I do other things in the afternoons, but it's more unpredictable, like Tuesdays I run with my DD up to soccer practice, and tonight we're going to go up to the pool. Sometimes we just turn the radio on and dance. You have to look for things that you enjoy and will add to your life rather than forcing yourself to do something that you HATE.

almeeker 10-04-2010 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by nru1286 (Post 22406)
Holy wow, almeeker, that is awesome! I love, love, love sweet potatoes. They are amazing. Great grilled.

We're having squash soup tomorrow. I am very excited about this. :-)

Last night I made dinner for the fam for what I believe is the first time ever. An altered version of New England Clam Chowder...not quite as creamy, but good nonetheless. I also made honey wheat bread. It was delicious! I think I'm going to make dinner once a week from now on. I think it's a good thing for me to do, especially since I love baking...why not make something healthy for a change? :-)

Oh, and I just made my first teeny tiny goal that was in my head....I'm under 350 now! :-D

Hope all is well with everyone.

Congratulations on meeting your first goal!!! Feels pretty awesome doesn't it?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweet potatoes too. I've tried a couple of times to grow them, but the climate here is colder than optimal for sweet potatoes. This year I bought plants at the greenhouse, which were a lot farther along than the slips I've ordered in the past, and it worked!!!

How is it that you've just made dinner for the fam for the first time ever? I've been stuck in the kitchen for decades. Well before I got married and had kiddos of my own to feed I had to cook for my parents and brothers. My mother sent me to cooking classes when I was 9 and I've been cooking dinner almost nightly since. Where did I go wrong? I would really like to be able to slip out of the kitchen from time to time. What is your secret?

nru1286 10-04-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 22445)
Congratulations on meeting your first goal!!! Feels pretty awesome doesn't it?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE sweet potatoes too. I've tried a couple of times to grow them, but the climate here is colder than optimal for sweet potatoes. This year I bought plants at the greenhouse, which were a lot farther along than the slips I've ordered in the past, and it worked!!!

How is it that you've just made dinner for the fam for the first time ever? I've been stuck in the kitchen for decades. Well before I got married and had kiddos of my own to feed I had to cook for my parents and brothers. My mother sent me to cooking classes when I was 9 and I've been cooking dinner almost nightly since. Where did I go wrong? I would really like to be able to slip out of the kitchen from time to time. What is your secret?

why thank you! I'm pretty stoked, and just ready to keep going. I'm finding this much easier than I imagined. I've been ignoring weight loss for years, and this is just so fulfilling.

I have a black thumb when it comes to gardening; I just can't seem to keep anything alive. I haven't tried in a few years, but maybe I will get back into it come the spring. Any awesome suggestions besides the sweet potatoes, and how to go about doing so?

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty spoiled. I'm almost 24, I still live with my parents, and my mom has always cooked for us. I've done little things here and there, but never really planned and created a meal from scratch before. I've always had some guidance, but this I did from planning, buying, preparing, cooking, serving, eating. It really was so fulfilling, I can't wait to do it soon again!

mlcooli 10-04-2010 10:03 PM

i can not believe it is already october! I've been sick so i have not really been eating much i figured this was a good time to start since i have not had coffee in 4 days. sad to say i was quite the coffee drinker. with 2 scoops of sugar and lots of flavored vanilla creamer. i also usually had 6 large moche frappichino's from mcdonalds. i went to their site to see how bad they really were 650 calories for one!!! and more sugar than i care to say. no wonder why i wasn't losing weight and gaining it instead. so needless to say no coffee! i didn't do a whole lot of exercising since i'm sick but i work 12 hr shifts and walk most of it so i'm sure i burnt a few calories i bought those tone up shoes when i work and man i can really feel it but my weight never changed no doubt due to my coffee habit.
still sick today most likely will be soup again all day.

nru1286 10-05-2010 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by mlcooli (Post 22472)
i can not believe it is already october! I've been sick so i have not really been eating much i figured this was a good time to start since i have not had coffee in 4 days. sad to say i was quite the coffee drinker. with 2 scoops of sugar and lots of flavored vanilla creamer. i also usually had 6 large moche frappichino's from mcdonalds. i went to their site to see how bad they really were 650 calories for one!!! and more sugar than i care to say. no wonder why i wasn't losing weight and gaining it instead. so needless to say no coffee! i didn't do a whole lot of exercising since i'm sick but i work 12 hr shifts and walk most of it so i'm sure i burnt a few calories i bought those tone up shoes when i work and man i can really feel it but my weight never changed no doubt due to my coffee habit.
still sick today most likely will be soup again all day.

Oh man, do I know the caffeine addiction! I never really drank coffe because my mouth is too sensitive to hot drinks, and the idea of iced coffe never really turned me on. But I was addicted to sodas, especially mountain dew, and iced tea...just so I could trick myself into saying "okay, I won't fall asleep at my desk because I have a lot of caffeine here!" About a week ago, though, I decided to give that all up and just replace it with water. Now I'm drinking 4 bottles of water a day during work hours alone, plus whatever I have at night. I find myself never really thirsty, and I definitely do not feel the need for caffeine, soda, iced tea, what have you. Not only that, but I feel more energized than I have before! I think you will find that over time, if you completely give it up (cold turkey), you will feel much better. If that's what you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.

And soup sounds like a marvelous idea. Any specific kind that you really love?

Feel better soon!

nru1286 10-05-2010 12:05 AM

Too few calories?

Hi ladies,

I'm a bit concerned about something. I feel like I eat all day long, and I am never hungry by the end of the day, but recently I have been taking in fewer than 1,500 calories a day. I'm concerned about this, because I don't want my body to think that I am starving myself. Does anyone have any information regarding the proper intake of calories to lose weight for a female, 5'6", 349 pounds? I would greatly appreciate it.

Hope everyone is doing well! Ovations to all!

[email protected] 10-05-2010 01:09 AM

Hi auntmayo09! Welcome to our group!

When it comes to starting exercise you have to take it slow. I would suggest just to start walking - it is free and requires no equipment except a good pair of walking shoes.

I started out just doing .5 mile 3 days a week, the 1 mile 4 days a week and am now up to a little more than 2 miles 4-5 days a week.