Notices

October Ovations: 100+ Ladies Club

Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

Note: You can ignore my lengthy post I just wanted to put it out there so it's in writing!

almeeker you are so inspiring! I'm about where you were when you started (240lbs). I am in my 20s and have struggled with my weight since puberty (10yo). Unfortunately, I'm well trained in fitness and nutrition (bachelors in sports medicine and athletic training and a masters as a physician assistant) and yet my weight is completely out of control. My wonderful husband of three years is extremely supportive of me, but I wish he would just come out and say honey youre fat, lose weight (of course he's much too caring and kind to ever do that, but I need serious motivation). Because I've always been told "youre so beautiful and voluptuous" and "wow, your hair is gorgeous" etc, I've pretended my weight didn't matter. I've put on 40+ pounds in less than a year (mostly due to the stress of clinical rotations as a PA, but that's no excuse). I've always told myself I carry my weight well and that no one really knows what I weigh so why does it matter....well no one can carry 240lbs on 5'7" frame and look good, so I have to be serious with myself. I'm hoping for some tough love and advice as I make the journey down to 150lbs (my weight in middle school).
I joined this site because my husband finally finished his crim degree and is going to be a deputy sheriff, which means he asked me to pin on his badge for the swearing in.... this is such a huge deal and of course there will be pictures. I know that now that I'm at my heaviest I'm not going to be happy with myself at any angle. A few years ago I was at 215 and lost 35lbs. I was esctatic with my success at that time and want to get back to that! None of my clothes fit and I refuse to buy larger sizes when I can just stop eating whatever I feel like. I owe this to my patients. Who wants to go to a healthcare provider that tells them they need to lose weight when that person doesn't do the same for herself!
Today I'm changing my life!

Things that worked in the past:
easy already made meals/prepackaged things; drinking lots of water; having something to do with my hands when I was bored and wanted to eat; having upcoming events; reading inspirational stories/pictures; having a support system; doing fun exercise: swimming, zumba, lifting weights with husband/friends, walking/jogging the lake with mom

Things that did NOT work:
weighing daily, eating out at fast food restaurants, rewarding myself with food/comfort from stress, working out in the mornings, eating breakfast too early, going to Starbucks, cooking for the whole family

I'm commiting to a healthy diet, portion control! and walk/jogging 5 days a week with weights 2x week, and quick army PT workout at lunch time - push ups, situps, leg hangs, lunges/step up; my day of rest is Mondays

Sorry I rambled I just needed to get this all out there and in writing, I did the "well maybe I'll wait till the weekend to start" but I'm not going to continue with excuses. Starting now I want to commit to a healthy lifestyle for myself, my husband, my future children, and my patients. Here goes day 1.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

Woo Hoo nikiwilburn! You can do it!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 PM
FitDay Member

Just remember you asked for this nikiwilburn, "honey you're fat, lose weight". A little tough love coming your way through cyberspace. I used to have a roomy that would say "please tell me that I look like sh**". She had this philosophy that if someone said that to her, the new zit she was sporting would dry up, and well I have to say they always did dry up...

Niki, I'm exactly like you, I have curves, nice hair, a loving husband and enough self confidence that my state of happiness wasn't (still isn't) based on my weight. For years I was a happy well adjusted fat girl, but hiding in there somewhere was the real me desperately wanting to ditch the fat suit. Then one day a friend of mine said to me "it's all about habits, skinny habits will make you skinny and fat habits will make you fat". I know I'm a creature of habit, so all I needed to do was to eliminate my bad habits, and adopt some new ones. Easier said than done, but I've managed to get rid of my worst habits over the last year, and adopt some new good ones. Which is not to say that I haven't picked up a couple of new bad ones, because I have . What I did to get started was to track my eating habits for 3-4 days, what I ate, when I ate it, where I was when I was eating, and what I was feeling. Then I took a long hard look at that information and started looking for places that could use improvement. Believe me, there were plenty!!! And surprisingly not all my habits were bad.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM
FitDay Member

Almeeker,

You are the weight loss guru!! 8-)

Will you please tell me:

1. What is your daily calorie budget?

2. Do you exercise? If so, what is your weekly routine?

Thanks! I want to set my goals so I can be successful like you!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Susan8Less
Almeeker,

You are the weight loss guru!! 8-)

Will you please tell me:

1. What is your daily calorie budget?

2. Do you exercise? If so, what is your weekly routine?

Thanks! I want to set my goals so I can be successful like you!
Awww, thanks honey.

1. Calorie budget 1,350-1,550 weekdays, 1,800 weekends. Do I blow that out of the water? You betcha, sometimes I've blown it all to bits before lunch, but I try my best to get right back on the wagon at the very next meal. Do I skip meals if I'm way over? Not on your life, that would just prime me up for a bigger fall.
2. Yes I exercise. For years I faithfully went to the gym 1-2/weekly. At one point I was complaining to a friend that also happens to be a physical therapist that I'd been going to the gym for years and never really gained any ground. He actually snorted, and said "a woman your age needs 1 hour of cardio daily just for heart health, never mind making any progress". Excuse me? "A woman my age", what the? Now just where does he get off telling me I'm old? He's the same age. Not long after I went out and bought myself an elliptical, and then the kids got a Wii Fit Plus for Christmas. Anyhoo, to answer your question, I do approximately 4-5 hours/week on the elliptical, an hour M-F + 15 minutes of shoulder exercises (body ball, light weights and stretchy bands) and 10-15 min of stretching. When I can't face it (or I've overslept), I do a 30 day shred or some Wii Fit Plus. 1-2 times/week I hit the gym and do 15 minutes on the stationary bike, 30 minutes of weightlifting and 15-20 minutes of shoulder rehab stuff, which is basically is like modified push-ups, dips, and core strengthening. That's about it.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lenoriarose
Also realize you might be building muscle with the amount of exercise you are doing. It can seem frustrating but that muscle is much better long term. You may want to consider also measuring yourself every other week. I have found that sometimes even if the scale doesn't go down, my actual fat percentage has.
I have been measuring and no luck
Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
How sweet are you? Thank you. No I don't look amazing, I look sort of average with a hint of that hard edge middle aged women get when they put up too much of a fight with Father Time (minus the fake tan color). LOL. I certainly look and feel better than I did. You can do this, you just have to keep your determination up and your commitment strong. It sounds like your workouts are pretty intense, have you done anything to increase the burn of your day outside of the gym? I walk the kids to school, walk to the store to get the paper, add ankle weights to housework etc etc. The less I weigh the harder I have to work to burn calories.

No it's not too personal, this is after all the 100 pound club where we discuss almost everything... I do have some extra skin, and it was especially noticeable around the 50 pound mark, so I decided to bulk up the muscle in those areas. I've been working on the arms enough to add some bulk on the shoulders and back, which fixed quite a lot of the underarm flap. I've also been doing some work on the gluts to give me a little more fanny (who would have guessed I want some back?). Which also seems to be helping quite a lot. I think the stomach flap is here to stay, but I don't think it's from being overweight so much as being pregnant 3 times.
I already know I will have to get a tummy tuck when I am done losing my weight but I think that is my end treat anyway.

No I dont do much outside of the gym. I bus to work and back to I walk there and I have a treadmill at home that I want to start using more. Plus I have the P90X which we have not been doing since we finished out basement and put everything down there lol. So I guess I will be getting back to that soon
Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nikiwilburn
Note: You can ignore my lengthy post I just wanted to put it out there so it's in writing!

almeeker you are so inspiring! I'm about where you were when you started (240lbs). I am in my 20s and have struggled with my weight since puberty (10yo). Unfortunately, I'm well trained in fitness and nutrition (bachelors in sports medicine and athletic training and a masters as a physician assistant) and yet my weight is completely out of control. My wonderful husband of three years is extremely supportive of me, but I wish he would just come out and say honey youre fat, lose weight (of course he's much too caring and kind to ever do that, but I need serious motivation). Because I've always been told "youre so beautiful and voluptuous" and "wow, your hair is gorgeous" etc, I've pretended my weight didn't matter. I've put on 40+ pounds in less than a year (mostly due to the stress of clinical rotations as a PA, but that's no excuse). I've always told myself I carry my weight well and that no one really knows what I weigh so why does it matter....well no one can carry 240lbs on 5'7" frame and look good, so I have to be serious with myself. I'm hoping for some tough love and advice as I make the journey down to 150lbs (my weight in middle school).
I joined this site because my husband finally finished his crim degree and is going to be a deputy sheriff, which means he asked me to pin on his badge for the swearing in.... this is such a huge deal and of course there will be pictures. I know that now that I'm at my heaviest I'm not going to be happy with myself at any angle. A few years ago I was at 215 and lost 35lbs. I was esctatic with my success at that time and want to get back to that! None of my clothes fit and I refuse to buy larger sizes when I can just stop eating whatever I feel like. I owe this to my patients. Who wants to go to a healthcare provider that tells them they need to lose weight when that person doesn't do the same for herself!
Today I'm changing my life!

Things that worked in the past:
easy already made meals/prepackaged things; drinking lots of water; having something to do with my hands when I was bored and wanted to eat; having upcoming events; reading inspirational stories/pictures; having a support system; doing fun exercise: swimming, zumba, lifting weights with husband/friends, walking/jogging the lake with mom

Things that did NOT work:
weighing daily, eating out at fast food restaurants, rewarding myself with food/comfort from stress, working out in the mornings, eating breakfast too early, going to Starbucks, cooking for the whole family

I'm commiting to a healthy diet, portion control! and walk/jogging 5 days a week with weights 2x week, and quick army PT workout at lunch time - push ups, situps, leg hangs, lunges/step up; my day of rest is Mondays

Sorry I rambled I just needed to get this all out there and in writing, I did the "well maybe I'll wait till the weekend to start" but I'm not going to continue with excuses. Starting now I want to commit to a healthy lifestyle for myself, my husband, my future children, and my patients. Here goes day 1.
Sounds like we are in the same boat only I am not as educated as you. I am 33yo and always been told I am pretty. I carry my weight all over which is great for my 5'6 frame. I thought I looked good until recently when I started seeing pictures of myself and could not believe it. I was so embarrassed it was not funny.

Lets do this together as I want to get to 150 which is what I was when I met my husband 14 years ago.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 AM
FitDay Member

Up 1.3 pounds this week. Not a happy camper about this, but it is just pushing me to really focus.

Things have been so stressful lately, I can barely think for myself.

Hope you're all well.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb New to FitDay

Hello everyone! My name is ashley and I'm new to FitDay as of today. I woke up this morning and undressed to take a shower and I really saw myself for the first time in three years. I use to be very active in classes at a local dance studio. Along with that I ran for fun (not only when being chased) and preached vegetarianism (which lasted two years and ended with a large pile of chicken wings). Since high school, I have gone from a size 12 to a size 22, gaining 80 pounds. In the past few years I've been dealing with not only the stress of leaving home to pursue a degree in psychology, but also the stress of my parents' divorce, which is still not finalized. Because I've been feeling far from myself, I sought counseling, at which I realized I have been eating my feelings. I'm ready to change my body and habits, not for my family, friends, or boyfriend, but for myself. I wish to regain the confidence and the love that I felt for myself. I just need a little support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.