Notices

Feeling blue...

Old 09-23-2010, 01:29 PM
FitDay Member

Default Feeling blue...

I'm finally taking my weight loss seriously and making progress and feeling great about it. But now, all of a sudden, my relationship with my husband is falling apart again.

Not sure if he is threatened by my progress -- only 6 pounds so far but it feels HUGE to me! -- or if it's something else.

Have any of you had similar issues with spouses or significant others while you've been making changes in your life?

It's hard to focus right now the positive strides I've made -- I just want to dive into the freezer and eat ice cream, chocolate or whatever I can lay my hands on...
Advice?
Words of wisdom?

thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
FitDay Member

Well, can't say I've had any negative issues with the spouse since starting this, he's been rather appreciative really. But then again my DH had the nerve to lose 60 pounds while I was pregnant and gaining weight everywhere everyday, and that was more than a little irritating. So if your honey could maybe shed a few pounds himself, I can see that it might cause some issues, at least initially until he's on board. Men sometimes also worry about their lady slimming down, getting hot and then trading up on a new man. And still some people resist change, I have a 7 year old DD that has fought harder to keep me in a fat suit than all the other people in my life combined.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

I wouldn't begin to give marriage advice. WHat I will give is YOU advice.

You have to know that you are doing this for you and it can only ENHANCE your marriage if you quit living in your fat suit, whether it's a five pound one or a 75 pound one or a 500 pound one!

I struggle with this one too because I lean towards co-dependency in all of my relationships -- not just my marriage. I have to stand up for myself this time. No matter what.

And I know what it's like to want to crawl in the fridge and eat over it, but we have to learn to make other choices to channel the frustration. Right now, I'm trying to figure out WHAT MAKES ME HAPPIER OR MORE COMFORTED than food -- I'm still struggling with that, but right now, posting is helping a lot. Calling friends helps a lot. Walking the dog helps a lot because he loves it so and I love to see him happy. Planning healthy meals helps a lot. Exercise helps a lot. Doing proactive things to build my business helps a lot.

Just know that many share your struggles, you're not alone and you can do this.