Notices

Excuses

Old 08-25-2010, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Excuses

Hello, ladies!

I've been MIA from the site and not doing so well with eating and exercise lately. But wait! I have excuses!

1. A sore hip followed by two knee injuries in a row has kept me from working out for far too long.
2. I started a new job which severely limited my time online. The change in schedule also affected my healthy eating.
3. I went on vacation to Florida for 8 days. I planned on sticking to healthy eating and exercise, but that plan went out the window on Day 2 and I never did get back on track. (Had a GREAT time though, ha!)
4. I'm sick with a summer cold. I have zero energy and my sore throat is making me crave shakes, slurpees, and other frozen treats all day long.
5. It's the most wonderful time of the month for me.
6. I know I've gained a few pounds, so I'm terrified to step back on the scale. Since I haven't stepped on the scale, it's easier to just keep eating poorly and not exercising.

Typing out that list makes me sick. Some are valid, but others are just ridiculous. Why is it so easy to make excuses and so difficult to do the right thing? But I'm back and ready to be on track, so here's my list to combat my excuses:

1. My hip is better and only one knee is still sore, so I will get back to my gym and running routine slowly but surely. If my knee swells and I have to take a break or change up my activities, that's okay!
2. I may not be able to get online at work, but I do have pencil and paper! I will write down what I eat and estimate calories, fat, etc., then enter foods when I have time at home. Also, I will try to plan meals and enter foods before going to work.
3. Vacation is over. Damage is done. But now I can turn this around. Next time I go on vacation, I will make sure to write down all foods eaten, including alcohol and snacks. I will make better choices. I will learn from this mistake!
4. I will rest and give myself the time I need to feel better from my cold. I will not feel guilty about this. I will find healthy alternatives to shakes and ice cream and other soft foods that will not irritate my throat.
5. I will drink lots of water to prevent bloating and remember that this too shall pass (at least until next month....)
6. I will get on the scale tomorrow morning. I will update the number in my signature here to make it public. Avoiding it and the weight I've gained won't make my problems go away. I will face the music and do something about it.

Tackling my excuses might not be fun, but I know I'll feel so much better when I do!

So, what are your excuses? What are you doing to tackle them? If you're already taking them on, how do you feel?

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default NO excuse!

Now, that applies to me, not you:-) My biggest fight is taking food to bed after 9PM. I know that something is bothering my at that time, but I don't know what or why I'm eating so much at that time.

I'm asking about it (i.e. praying), but I'd like to ask if any of you figured out WHY you were eating at particular times. Or how to make myself stop.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 AM
FitDay Member

no. 6 i could really relate to. that was me last week. what i did is made myself follow my plan for 3 days THEN weighed myself. not sure why i did that, but i did.

great job at combating your excuses. words have power & when we say it, write it etc it seems to stick better.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 AM
FitDay Member

bunzino - What are you usually doing at 9 pm? If it's watching TV, try doing something to keep your hands occupied and away from the kitchen. I took up crocheting for a while when I was struggling with eating in front of the TV. I wasn't particularly talented, but it kept me occupied!

You could also try chewing gum around that time or brushing your teeth to signal the end of your eating day. Habits are hard to break, but they can be broken! =)

Stacey - That's a good idea. I wish I had read this before I jumped on the scale this morning, lol. Thanks for the support!

I faced the scale as promised, and I gained 4.5 lbs since August 8. YIKES. Hopefully some of that's water weight, though, and will come off soon.

I'm back on track, even with all of those excuses! Woohoo!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default Great Post!!

Wow, Fletch, thanks for putting this out there. I can totally relate...the vacation, the cold, the not wanting to get on the scale. You are really holding yourself accountable and I really admire that!

I've had some setbacks too, recently, from vacation and a couple days sick; missed workouts, comfort foods, etc., etc. I went back onto plan and the 5 vacation pounds came right off. I am back on plan from being sick last weekend (how could two days produce 6 pounds; the math doesn't add up ) and it's not really coming off now, so I needed to hear your excuses and your no BS attitude toward getting back.

Can you do something less intense, like a 20 minute walk, just to remiind your body it can move and respond to exercise? Also, tell yourself your body can heal itself quicker if you put heathy food into it. Fruit sorbets, although they do have sugar, are better options than ice cream and shakes, or you could make a fruit smoothie and even throw some protein powder in there. Staying away from dairy might be a good idea if you're congested, though...so I'm thinking lots of frozen fruit in a blender.

I'm reminding myself that I did this before and I can do it again, and so can you! You know what you need to do and once you are a few days back into it, you will feel awesome and successful. The most important thing is to stop with the excuses, which you did. Just let your old, good habits take over, be diligent with your food log, and keep posting and/or journaling. You'll get there.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

cjohnson - I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who give in to excuses and that your vacation weight came off easily. That makes me feel so much better. =) Sorry about the illness lbs though...hang in there. What goes up must come down, right?!

I did switch from ice cream to fruit smoothies yesterday, so that was a good change. Today I can actually swallow food, so that's a good thing! I don't know that I'm even up for a walk today, but I'll re-evaluate again tomorrow. You're right that I need to get in SOME exercise as soon as possible to get back in the habit. At least my eating is back on track. Better than nothing!

Thanks for the support. I'm glad you benefited from reading my post and responding yourself. Keep up the good work!