FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Need a motivating buddy...20lbs to lose (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1808-need-motivating-buddy-20lbs-lose.html)

Bkeeneefvr 08-20-2010 03:30 PM

Need a motivating buddy...20lbs to lose

I'm committed to give myself a Christmas gift of losing 20lbs by Dec. 25th. Anyone want to join me for an 18week commitment?

I am thinking of a once or twice a week check-in to help us stay accountable. Once weekly for weigh-ins. And maybe an additional time just to stay on target with eating right and exercising.

I have been a good starter of weight loss but only a good starter....never a good finisher and completing my goal. :( This time, I am committed to reaching my goal no matter what. :o

nottango 08-21-2010 12:14 AM

Maybe we could work together

Hi! I started in June with a goal to lose from 154# to 135# by Nov 11 (my 45th birthday). Using the food and activity logs really helped me see the error of my ways (I was giving myself much too much credit for calories burned by exercising!). I got serious about cutting calories healthfully and lost 11 pounds. By that point I decided to change my goal from 135 to 130 by the birthday - should be achievable. That means my goal by Christmas would be 125# (about 18 from where I am now) I am right on track. I do not follow any of the popular diets out there (and please don't try to convert me!) but am simply making healthier choices and cutting back on the junk. I do have some junk, and drink alcohol from time to time.
I like the idea of checking in 1-2X/wk. :)

zinal 08-21-2010 12:33 AM

I have a "little" more to lose than 20lbs, but am willing to motivate anyone. I'm looking to lose a total of 70lbs, so far 15lbs have gone away in 2 months. I was really wanting to lose all by Dec. 20th, but I will settle for my birthday 2-27. I cut carbs, higher proteins and watch calories. I try to get some type of physical movement every day, with workouts 3 times a week. Mine is a slow journey, but I'm at least moving in the right direction.:)
---------------
Starting weight : 198lbs (6-20-10)
Current weight : 183lbs (8-21-10)
Mini goal weight: 175 lbs (8-24-10)
GOAL WEIGHT : 120-130 lbs (12-20-10)-(2-27-11)

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ml?Owner=zinal

"Every journey starts with one small step."

rlynn456 08-21-2010 05:46 AM

Hey Zinal, my weight is coming off a lot slower than expected too, I've reduced my calories and fat intake greatly and started exercising 5 days a week and only lost 10 lbs in almost 7 weeks. It can get quite discouraging but we need to keep at it, at least it's definitely better than nothing!
Renee
Start weight 7/13: 215 lbs
Current weight 8/21: 205 lbs
Goal weight 7/13/11: 145 lbs

Bkeeneefvr 08-21-2010 11:31 AM

Day 1

Thanks for the replies. Sorry this reply is so long.

A little about me:
I'm starting at 163.9 lbs and trying to drop 25 lbs by Dec. 25. No one has known what I weigh for years (and I intend to keep it a secret with the exception of these boards) ;) Who knows if I will adjust that 25 lbs to lose 5 lbs more. I haven't seen my body at 138.9lbs in a long time.

I think any method each of us determines is best for us to lose weight (as long as it's a healthy option) is fine. I know my body responds best when I limit carbs so that's where I'm starting for now. I am doing South Beach Phase I for 3 weeks and will continue to Phase II from there.

I did Jenny Craig in the Spring, lost 17lbs and gained it back (mainly because I got so tired of eating the same foods). I need variety in my food or I get bored and boredom leads to terrible decisions. I am tracking what I eat (calories and all) because I personally like structure-it helps keep me honest.

To motivate myself, these are the types of things I say to myself all the time:

> You are in control of looking as good/healthy/toned/thin as you want.
> You are also in control of looking as overweight/flabby/thick-thighed/ as you want.
--> With so many of life's decisions decided for you, take advantage that this decision is up to you. You can succeed or fail as much as you want-you just have to be prepared to be content with your outcomes.

Have a great week everyone! Please check-in from time to time to tell me how it's going for you. :)

LipstickApples 08-22-2010 04:32 PM

I'm In

Its been a very rough year for me. January started off homeless (left abruptly when landlord turned abusive during a bad divorce), then we fixed that, then I got pregnant, then we moved, then I lost the baby, then i lost my best friend, then we lost our jobs and now here I am. All in my first year of marriage too.
I used to a be a professional grade dancer so my weight gain over the last few years has really been hard but I've taken it in stride. However, since I lost the baby and have been dealing with a few lingering health issues I've become determined to get back to being healthy.
I'm currently 15 pounds overweight and I'm hoping to have that gone by my birthday- 11/23 and I'm hoping to have a full 20 pounds off by Christmas. I can't do it on my own though!! I definitely need a motivator. Someone to hold me accountable. I'm great at being a cheerleader for other people but I am terrible at doing it for myself.
I'm still determining what is going to work best for me since I've been through so many changes in the last few years. Having been so active I don't know if its going to be harder or easier to start losing. Guess I'll find out.:rolleyes:

zinal 08-22-2010 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by LipstickApples (Post 19357)
Its been a very rough year for me.....

My first year also brought alot of problems. It took 6 months before I could start losing any weight after my miscarriage. My body was still in "baby" mode, that and depression eating. The doctor said it takes time for one to physically and mentally get over a loss like this. It has been 23yrs ago, but I still have the "whatifs". I loss my weight by walking and doing core conditioning. Just give your body time to get back to pre-pregnancy hormones and cycles and I'm sure you'll lose the weight. I'm starting the P90X this week, will let you know how it does. I'm 44 yrs old, so I'm just hoping I don't die from the workout. My prayers are with you and after 20yrs of ups and downs, I can tell you this, things will get better. :)

nottango 08-23-2010 12:49 AM

Just yesterday I was feeling so confident that I'd figured out how to lose the weight - recorded 142# for the first time in a long time. Unfortunately, I had a huge attack of hunger while at a church celebration and ate an Italian beef sandwich, the crusts of my kids' pizza, and 1/2 a Butterfinger. The feelings were so overwhelming, I would've eaten more if I coulda gotten my hands on it! It's crazy how out of nowhere the hunger can attack. I know you're not supposed to weigh every day, but was up to 144 this morning (more to do with the salty sandwich than the calories) Boo.

Bkeeneefvr 08-25-2010 01:56 PM

For those who have been through tremendously tough times, you are an inspiration. It's difficult to keep your personal goals intact during emotional times. Emotional eating has always been a weakness for me and I'm trying to break the cycle.

I am only 5 days into being a hawk over logging my food, eating very well and exercising each day. I was 3 lbs down yesterday and gained half of it again when I got on the scale this morning (think water retention since I didn't eat poory). For the 1st time, it doesn't bother me. I'm enjoying watching the weight graph on FitDay because ultimately that graph will point downward and that means progress.

Nottango, congrats on hitting 142! Don't let that hunger attack get you down- just a short setback. Sounds like you're close to seeing it again soon!! :)

nottango 08-25-2010 02:32 PM

sorry

I just read the posts abo9ve my last one, and can't believe how insensitive I was. I am truly sorry that I came across like a self-centered oaf. I can't imagine going through what some of you have. :o
I'm very glad to have new members to our group, and hope you'll keep coming back!

LipstickApples 08-25-2010 04:02 PM

Too sweet

Originally Posted by nottango (Post 19598)
can't believe how insensitive I was.... and hope you'll keep coming back!

Think nothing of it. I enjoyed your post. I know you weren't enjoying it when you posted but it was refreshing knowing I'm not alone in feeling like the monstrous ravenous pig attacking when the hunger bug comes out. I can't stand that feeling when suddenly you have to have it all.

I try to trace my steps backwards after that and see what I was not getting enough of because I figure its my body's way of searchingout that missing ingredient be it fiber, potassium, vitamin D or what. Its going to find it the hard way if I don't do the leg work first.

Although sometimes I just want all that food because it just looks sooooo good!!! :rolleyes:

Definitely looking forward to coming back over the next few months!

Linds

Bkeeneefvr 08-28-2010 03:46 PM

Week 1 down...it wasn't so bad...

I finished my 1st week with a 3.1 lb weight loss. I have REALLY had to force myself to get creative, plan, and be consistent with fixing my own meals each day. I definitely wouldn't expect that type of weight loss again next week. Shooting for 1-1.5 lbs loss per week.

How is everyone else doing?

nottango 08-29-2010 01:20 AM

Good job BK! I am at 141# now - down 1 from last week, but have PMS, so expect to be 139 or 140 next week without much effort. I have been exercising every morning (have a puppy who makes sure I don't skip it). I used to walk, but have gradually been jogging more and more, and enjoying it. I've never been fast, but have thrown in a few sprints lately just to challenge myself. On track to reaching my goal of 125# by Christmas!

Bkeeneefvr 08-31-2010 01:49 AM

Nottango, I run too. It's the one activity that will always flatten my butt and tone me up quickly. I'm shooting for 4-5 days a week and 3-4 miles each time I go out. It's hotter here in TX now so can't wait for cooler weather.

Yesterday was rest day from working out and it was heavenly. Back at it again today. Still eating well and lost another .5 lbs in the last 3 days. On track here too to reach my Christmas goal! Honestly, this time of losing weight just feel different. It feels like my head is truly into it and my determination to succeed is so much stronger. Whatever it is, I like it because I hope it helps me get to the finish line! Have a great week! :)

kateverod 08-31-2010 07:36 AM

Hi! I am in!! - 20 lbs by 12/16! I am starting at 160lbs (1 week ago), I have been tracking for 7 days now and have lost 1.2 lbs. So far so good! Seeing what blows my calorie counts (alchohol on weekends!) is helping.

I bike ride for exercise - not the intense cycling but the fun cruising around the neighborhood and trails - and I think it is helping. That and walking up stairs instead of the elevator at work! Need to figure out what to do when it starts snowing here in MI. Maybe swim?

Thx!

TheAngelaschneider 08-31-2010 03:08 PM

around 20

around 20 is exacally what i want to loose to.
this winter is no excuse for me to gain weight this time
i currently weigh 159lbs and hope to get around 140-135
i am 5"6 i want to be healthy and would love to give and recieve modivation:D

Bkeeneefvr 09-02-2010 03:30 PM

Yea! Happy a few more have joined us. :) Interesting that you two are around the same weight as me too. Can I just ask one thing? I know everyone is different given musculature, etc., but why is it that a nutritionist told me that if I weighed 150lbs that's good? I'm thinking I'm still overweight at that amount (or at the least on the upper end of that weight range). I'm thinking 137lbs is about right. No real reason to believe that except that it's within the middle of the weight range, and I can grab most of that excess weight in my butt, thighs, and hips. The rest of me is so-so. It gives me affirmation that you both are looking to weigh around the same as me...

It's been a good week for me. I've worked out 6 days this week and going to ramp it up next week with heavier weights and longer runs. So far feeling good during my workouts given that my calorie count is lower.

Can anyone provide some help on the calorie deficit balance on FitDay? I log my activities but can't seem to figure out what I have to do for the rest of the day. I don't want it to be too tedious-otherwise, I won't stick with logging it everyday. Any ideas?

Everyone stay strong over Labor Day weekend and come back to tell us how you did! ;)

nottango 09-02-2010 11:41 PM

Hi everyone!
In a way, I feel like I've been cheating because it's been real easy not to overeat this week. I was told "my job's being eliminated" and that I'll be unemployed next month (unless I want a 3 hour commute every day to a place where I'd make less $). Has done wonders - no appetite, and I NEED to exercise to keep from going insane. I'm a single mom with a deadbeat ex-husband so it's scary. Actually saw 139 on the scale a few times, but it somehow isn't that important as it was a week ago.
BK - as far as exercise, I selected the lifestyle option of "mostly seated with some activity" and I put in the # of hours I sleep each night (very few recently!...). Beyond that, I just put in exercise which I have planned for (walking/jogging, etc...). My numbers come out at ~1800 cal/day without exercise and 2000-2200 when I do exercise, which feels just right. I'll be 45 in November, and if I did not add my sleep, it would say I need 2300-2500 cal/day when I exercise, which is just too much,*sigh*

Bkeeneefvr 09-03-2010 02:23 AM

Thanks Nottango. So sorry to hear about your job. My husband was laid off this week too. It's not a fun situation but I always believe there's a reason for everything. He's been pretty depressed but he exercises to let go of the stress. Hopefully you can find some release in exercising too. Take care of yourself1

kateverod 09-08-2010 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by nottango (Post 20217)
Hi everyone!
In a way, I feel like I've been cheating because it's been real easy not to overeat this week. I was told "my job's being eliminated" and that I'll be unemployed next month (unless I want a 3 hour commute every day to a place where I'd make less $). Has done wonders - no appetite, and I NEED to exercise to keep from going insane. I'm a single mom with a deadbeat ex-husband so it's scary. Actually saw 139 on the scale a few times, but it somehow isn't that important as it was a week ago.
BK - as far as exercise, I selected the lifestyle option of "mostly seated with some activity" and I put in the # of hours I sleep each night (very few recently!...). Beyond that, I just put in exercise which I have planned for (walking/jogging, etc...). My numbers come out at ~1800 cal/day without exercise and 2000-2200 when I do exercise, which feels just right. I'll be 45 in November, and if I did not add my sleep, it would say I need 2300-2500 cal/day when I exercise, which is just too much,*sigh*

Hang in there - I went through that at the end of last year - I am a single mom too so I feel that same pressure. I wake up every night at 2am just to worry!

Remember to do something nice for yourself every day - no matter how small - you are worth it!

kateverod 09-08-2010 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bkeeneefvr (Post 20209)
Yea! Happy a few more have joined us. :) Interesting that you two are around the same weight as me too. Can I just ask one thing? I know everyone is different given musculature, etc., but why is it that a nutritionist told me that if I weighed 150lbs that's good? I'm thinking I'm still overweight at that amount (or at the least on the upper end of that weight range). I'm thinking 137lbs is about right. No real reason to believe that except that it's within the middle of the weight range, and I can grab most of that excess weight in my butt, thighs, and hips. The rest of me is so-so. It gives me affirmation that you both are looking to weigh around the same as me...

It's been a good week for me. I've worked out 6 days this week and going to ramp it up next week with heavier weights and longer runs. So far feeling good during my workouts given that my calorie count is lower.

Can anyone provide some help on the calorie deficit balance on FitDay? I log my activities but can't seem to figure out what I have to do for the rest of the day. I don't want it to be too tedious-otherwise, I won't stick with logging it everyday. Any ideas?

Everyone stay strong over Labor Day weekend and come back to tell us how you did! ;)

I have heard the 150 lbs as well for my height 5'5" - I think it is about BMI and that being the highest weight that is ok? I have a Dr. appt. in October so I am going to ask a bunch of questions - that will be one of them! I40 is my goal for December - but when I do make that (positive thinking) I would like to see how my clothes fit and what kind of balance with exercise/food I can realistically keep going over time with my life schedule. (work 1 hour drive away, 2 kids....)

I have lost 2.8 lbs so far - tough over the holiday with tempation and parties. Hope to make up with exercise this week.

Good luck this week to all!

almeeker 09-08-2010 03:07 AM

Hey ladies, I was just reading all the posts here and realized that although ultimately I want to lose more than 20 pounds (I'm short, just under 5'-2"), I'm in the same age 41 and about the same starting weight. Right now I'm at 159ish and would love to weigh somewhere in the 130's by Christmas, I love the idea that it would be a "Christmas present to self". Last year I bought myself an elliptical, when truthfully all I really wanted was to weigh less. Duh... Live and learn I guess.

For healthy weight ranges my doc always says at 5'-0" it's 100 pounds and you get another 10 pounds for every inch above that, but that's just a ball park estimate. I think the farther you get from 5'-0" the less accurate it is.

I'm so sorry to hear about anyone getting laid off. DH and I have been fortunate in his job so far, but we spend a lot of time with our fingers crossed. They keep saying that the economy is turning around, but I don't really see it here in my neck of the woods.

What day is weigh in?

kateverod 09-09-2010 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 20539)
Hey ladies, I was just reading all the posts here and realized that although ultimately I want to lose more than 20 pounds (I'm short, just under 5'-2"), I'm in the same age 41 and about the same starting weight. Right now I'm at 159ish and would love to weigh somewhere in the 130's by Christmas, I love the idea that it would be a "Christmas present to self". Last year I bought myself an elliptical, when truthfully all I really wanted was to weigh less. Duh... Live and learn I guess.

For healthy weight ranges my doc always says at 5'-0" it's 100 pounds and you get another 10 pounds for every inch above that, but that's just a ball park estimate. I think the farther you get from 5'-0" the less accurate it is.

I'm so sorry to hear about anyone getting laid off. DH and I have been fortunate in his job so far, but we spend a lot of time with our fingers crossed. They keep saying that the economy is turning around, but I don't really see it here in my neck of the woods.

What day is weigh in?

I don't think we were that organized to choose a date ;) any suggestions? Maybe midweek to avoid weekends?

campbellj2 09-10-2010 04:36 AM

Can I join?

Ladies,
I just logged in yesterday with an end date of 12/1/2010. This seems to be the group best suited for my goal. I want to go from 154 to 135 and then take stock.
I've been bike riding every evening from 40-60+ minutes and doing light weights 3 times a week. I'm fairly happy with my fitness level, but really want to shed weight.
Looking forward to working with you.

Jenny

nottango 09-10-2010 11:36 AM

Summary

Hi everyone. Had some time on my hands, so thought I'd post a quick summary for us. Please let us know how you're doing with your goals! We can update them every 2 weeks or so, and if you don't post, we'll assume you don't want to play anymore! Okay?? Welcome all newcomers!
Bkeenever (our leader!) started at 163.9# on 8/21, goal of 138.9# on Christmas
Nottango started at 143# on 8/21, goal of 125# by Christmas
Progress: 138# on 9/10.
zinalstarted at 183# on 8/21
rlynnStarted at 205# on 8/21
LipstickApplesStarted at 160# on 8/31, goal of 140#
kateverodGoal: lose 20#, progress: lost 2.8 so far
theangelaschneiderStarted at 159# on 8/31, goal of 135-140#
Almeekerapprox 159# on 9/8, goal 139# Christmas, LT goal 120#
Campbellj2Started 154# on 9/10 with a goal of 135#

Hope I didn't butcher names too much. Please correct/add any information to keep this current!

Bkeeneefvr 09-13-2010 08:53 AM

Happy Monday!

Good idea about picking a weigh-in date. No, we haven't been that organized. How does Friday morning work for everyone? (I thought that if we weigh in the day before the weekend begins that will just give us extra motivation to be good over the weekends) :-)

I'm sorry I've been out of the loop a bit. Hectic times at work have been distracting. However, the good news is that I've still continued with my good eating habits and exercising. This is my 4th week of REALLY focusing on my health and sticking to it once and for all! I've lost 7.4 lbs in 3 1/2 wks-hoping to make it a solid 8 lb loss by the end of my 4th week.

Welcome to our newbies! I think our weight loss will make it a really special Christmas gift to ourselves. :) Keep up the good work everyone!!

Bkeeneefvr 09-13-2010 09:03 AM

Just saw Kateverod's suggestion of mid-week weigh-in too. Anytime is good with me. I weigh in each day (I know some people frown on that) but it helps me to stay in check.

Congrats on the the weight loss that Nottango reported for her and Kateverod thus far. Please let us all know how the rest of you are doing.

I think now it is critical to get our willpower in check since we have so many Holidays to contend with in Oct/Nov/Dec. It will be a rough ride through the temptations but it's sooooo worth it!!

almeeker 09-13-2010 01:08 PM

I hate to ask this, but I've been having trouble finding this thread to check up on everyone, there are just so many 20lb ones on this forum that I end up reading 3-4 other ones and can't find it. What say we rename it something like "Christmas Club" or "Hot for the Holidays", so we can all find it and check-in regular-like? Just a thought.

kateverod 09-15-2010 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 20928)
I hate to ask this, but I've been having trouble finding this thread to check up on everyone, there are just so many 20lb ones on this forum that I end up reading 3-4 other ones and can't find it. What say we rename it something like "Christmas Club" or "Hot for the Holidays", so we can all find it and check-in regular-like? Just a thought.

I like either suggestion for renaming the thread! I think we should make name unique - I agree it is hard to find.

I have now stayed static at 3.4 lost for a week now... I wonder if that is normal or if I am just forgetting or not correctly tracking the food I take in? Hmmm.... I will have to be even tougher with some of my food choices if I don't loose something (anything!) soon. Has this happened to anyone else - just sort of a stall? It's too soon for a stall! :)

kateverod 09-15-2010 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by nottango (Post 20740)
Hi everyone. Had some time on my hands, so thought I'd post a quick summary for us. Please let us know how you're doing with your goals! We can update them every 2 weeks or so, and if you don't post, we'll assume you don't want to play anymore! Okay?? Welcome all newcomers!
Bkeenever (our leader!) started at 163.9# on 8/21, goal of 138.9# on Christmas
Nottango started at 143# on 8/21, goal of 125# by Christmas
Progress: 138# on 9/10.
zinalstarted at 183# on 8/21
rlynnStarted at 205# on 8/21
LipstickApplesStarted at 160# on 8/31, goal of 140#
kateverodGoal: lose 20#, progress: lost 2.8 so far
theangelaschneiderStarted at 159# on 8/31, goal of 135-140#
Almeekerapprox 159# on 9/8, goal 139# Christmas, LT goal 120#
Campbellj2Started 154# on 9/10 with a goal of 135#

Hope I didn't butcher names too much. Please correct/add any information to keep this current!

Thx for the summary!

I started at 160, goal 140.

kateverod 09-22-2010 01:09 AM

Hi everyone! after staying steady for over a week - I stepped on the scale and wallah! 1 lb drop. Yeah! Hope everyone else is doing well.

kateverod 09-28-2010 12:26 PM

How is everyone doing this week?

Hope everyone is doing well - I am keeping on my goal. Cheating a bit on weekends but still able to keep eye on goal. Another .6 lbs ;) yeah!!

Have a great week everyone!

nottango 09-29-2010 01:23 PM

still going...

Hi katevrod - I'm doing well. If my scale had 1/2 pounds, I'd be putting 135 1/2, but I always round up, so saying 136# these days. I really feel like tracking my food and exercise has helped tremendously in my weight loss journey. I have not deprived myself at all, so it doesn't feel like a temporary thing. I'm in better shape than I've been in over 5 yrs.

kateverod 10-01-2010 02:33 AM

October - here comes the candy!

Hello!

Friday weigh in - total lost now 6lbs! I was sick with food poisoning for a day so not sure if I should take credit for not being hungry for a day. Oh well - feeling better now.

Now I am trying to think of good alternatives to the candy that is coming this month. I will not buy any candy - but it somehow sneaks in (office, etc.) Any good alternatives out there? I am thinking apples and a bit of caramel to be in the spirit but not go overboard! ;) And pumpkin seeds are one of my all time favorites - any other good ideas?

Have a good weekend! TGIF