Community
Notices

Got 100 to lose- anyone else?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Got 100 to lose- anyone else?

I am starting my weighloss goals at little 10-20 pound losses. I have noticed that when I see the weight that I am now posted next to my goal weight the number to lose seems so small. So why is it so hard? I have all the diet aides, and know what to do. I have been through the weightloss ringer for years now and I am ready to win this fight. The only thing that I can say is not a major part of my life is exercise. I do it every now and again.

Diets I have tried:
Jenny Craig- lost 5 pds.
L.A.Weightloss- lost 40 pds- gained back
Atkins-lost 45
Phentermine-20
other diet pills

The best diets I have ever tried were Atkins and L.A. Weight loss. Phentermine was pretty good at keeping me from being hungry at all. And thanks to being broke, I use it sparingly. We are talking one month on and off per 3 years or so.

Currently: 278.4
Goal: 260
Dream Weight: 135
Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=lastchancerena;18599]I am starting my weighloss goals at little 10-20 pound losses. I have noticed that when I see the weight that I am now posted next to my goal weight the number to lose seems so small. So why is it so hard? I have all the diet aides, and know what to do. I have been through the weightloss ringer for years now and I am ready to win this fight. The only thing that I can say is not a major part of my life is exercise. I do it every now and again.

Welcome aboard LCerena! First, there is a great forum at 'Awesome in August' - fun, informative, encouraging. That said, WOW, looks like you are motivated to lose, with all the different programs you tried! Me, I had to have a 'reason' to lose weight - which came in the form of Diabetes. Ya gotta watch what you pray for eh! LOL I was thinking along the lines of a cruise! LOL I have no idea what phentermine is but it sounds chemical to me Is it a vitamin? I agree with the Mini goals - I set those for myself (see below) but have a long range plan. I have to change my entire lifestyle - saying I am on a diet, well, goes without saying. I start FD 2 weeks ago (almost) but started this whole change in June 2009. Exercise was similar to exorcism if you get my drift...evil! LOL But I started slow, one circuit around my trailer park - 8 minutes - huffing/puffing, worked up to two, then three then 30 minutes and now I love going for 65+ minutes. All I do is walk. I figured at least THAT I enjoy/can do. So, I encourage you to just talk a walk. If you have a dog or can borrow one - makes the trip more companionable. Just remember, you can do it. Take it 10 minutes at a time. Park at the far end of the shopping mall. Take local transit instead of driving, get off one stop early. BIGGEST motivator for me was investing ($45) into a good pedometer that not only tells me how many steps I take, but the calories I burn, kilometers I go and how many of the steps are aerobic. Nice toy! Keep coming back to the forums to share. Carren
Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 AM
FitDay Member

Hiya rena,
Welcome to FitDay! I have over 100 lbs. to lose myself and I encourage you to start chatting with us in the 100+ (Awesome August...) thread. You'll find great support, advice and encouragement throughout the forums.

I have spent my life overweight, and finally at 43, I am ready to take control of my life and make some healthy lifestyle changes. I have never been athletic in the past, nor have I enjoyed exercise, but that is changing for me. I am trying to move every single day because I want my body to get stronger and I want to lose fat, not muscle. I've been reading a book called, "Thin for Life", and it said that the majority of people who lose weight and permanently keep it off have incorporated regular exercise into their routines. (Obvious, I know... but something far too many people don't do.)

We can do this! It's worth the effort... but it will take time. Get on board with us and keep posting!

Best regards,
Smoosh
Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
FitDay Member

hi lastchancerena.

As the others have said, come post in the Awesome in august. It is one of the best threads in the forums.

I have a couple things to say to your post. The largest mistake people make (and the usual reason people gain back all they lost and more) is because you are thinking in terms of a diet.

This is a forever lifestyle change. You have to change your behaviors, permanently. You have to learn healthier foods, exercise and habits.. and impliment them with the mind set of this is for the rest of my life. It does no good to yo-yo diet, lose and gain, lose and gain, because when you have finished a program ( jenny craid, south beach etc) you go right back to your old habits that got you where you keep ending up. This is not a criticism.. each one of us have done it, and some learn it and some dont.

The other thing is, the Phentermine can hurt you more than help you. It will, given time, ruin your heart, thyroid and as soon as you stop taking it, the weight will come back.

More and more, doctors are really only endorsing Alli as a weight reduction aid... and even that has some really bad side effects if you arent learning new and healthier ways to eat. So I hope for your sake, you rethink the Phentermine.

Anyway, come on over to the 100 plus thread ( Awesome in August) and find some support, tips, and just idle chatter. You certainly would be welcome~
Old 08-14-2010, 02:18 PM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=carrenross;18605]
Originally Posted by lastchancerena

Welcome aboard LCerena! First, there is a great forum at 'Awesome in August' - fun, informative, encouraging. I will go and check it out sounds cool

That said, WOW, looks like you are motivated to lose, with all the different programs you tried! Me, I had to have a 'reason' to lose weight - which came in the form of Diabetes. Ya gotta watch what you pray for eh! I know what you mean. The doctor told me i was bordeline high blood pressure about 8 months ago. That scared me because I was having some issues after getting over mono. So that got me to lose 20 pounds. Then I started to work a desk job and gained most of it back. What added more fuel to that was I learned my doctor had lied about me being borderline, just to get me to lose some weight. LOL I was thinking along the lines of a cruise! Sometimes we need a little incentive to get us going, but I do not know what motivates me. I have tried things like that and it seems to not be enough. I can remember two times that made me get my butt up and lose with no question. After my pregnancy when I had hit 310. Something just told me to do it and i did, no looking back. Lost a lot of weight. Gained it back. Then this second time around with what the doctor told me. LOL I have no idea what phentermine is but it sounds chemical to me Is it a vitamin? It is a pill that keeps you from being hungry. You have to get from a doctor. It workd quite well. However, some people have complaints about it. It has never done anything to me. It makes you get up and move and you never think about food at all, until later on when you realize you haven't eaten all day. I agree with the Mini goals - I set those for myself (see below) but have a long range plan. I have to change my entire lifestyle - saying I am on a diet, well, goes without saying. I start FD 2 weeks ago (almost) but started this whole change in June 2009. Exercise was similar to exorcism if you get my drift...evil! LOL But I started slow, one circuit around my trailer park - 8 minutes - huffing/puffing, worked up to two, then three then 30 minutes and now I love going for 65+ minutes. All I do is walk. I figured at least THAT I enjoy/can do. So, I encourage you to just talk a walk. If you have a dog or can borrow one - makes the trip more companionable. I want to walk and definitely thought about getting a dog to walk with. However, I am just lazy about it and working on a book-keeps me full of excuses. I love the gym though, just need to get some money and go. I was doing Kardioke with Billy Bo Blanks Jr. (on cable) then some pilates for 15 min. But tend to stop the routine. Sometimes I wonder i have trouble keeping weight off because of the routine of "dieting" Just remember, you can do it. Take it 10 minutes at a time. Park at the far end of the shopping mall. Take local transit instead of driving, get off one stop early. BIGGEST motivator for me was investing ($45) into a good pedometer that not only tells me how many steps I take, but the calories I burn, kilometers I go and how many of the steps are aerobic. Nice toy! Keep coming back to the forums to share. Carren Thank you Carren. I will take your advice. I have to- something has got to give.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:28 PM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=GameGal;18609]hi lastchancerena. Hello

As the others have said, come post in the Awesome in august. It is one of the best threads in the forums. Cool- I am hearing a lot about it. Packing my bags and moving on over

I have a couple things to say to your post. The largest mistake people make (and the usual reason people gain back all they lost and more) is because you are thinking in terms of a diet. I know. I have to get my mind on the right track. Lifestyle change- Not diet. I guess it just feels like one when you have to cut down so much on what you eat.
This is a forever lifestyle change. You have to change your behaviors, permanently. You have to learn healthier foods, exercise and habits.. and impliment them with the mind set of this is for the rest of my life. It does no good to yo-yo diet, lose and gain, lose and gain, because when you have finished a program ( jenny craid, south beach etc) you go right back to your old habits that got you where you keep ending up. This is not a criticism.. each one of us have done it, and some learn it and some dont. I certainly feel like I am on the right path. I am having a lifestyle change. I do very good all week and then the weekend comes and it is ruined. I have to let go of that mentality that the weekends are free for alls. Because then it is just a diet that I end up saying I am going back on - on monday.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Welcome Rena
I'm 44 and it is hard to lose do to changing hormones and being hypothyroid (thyroid removed a year ago). I've been on the diet yo-yo and most time I gained back was due stress, emotional eating and having a really hectic schedule. I would skip exercising, telling myself my running around doing errands, housework, 60hr a week job was plenty of exercise. I am back to diet and real exercising 3 days a week, trying to increase to 5 but not always being able to do it. I have my exercise written down in my appointment book so that I can't book other events at that time, so I have no excuse. My diet is low carb (dr's suggestion for my condition), so I try hard to look for new low carb treats like ice cream and candy bars (Atkins chocolate and peanut butter all time favorite). I don't feel deprived and it is easier to pass up the real chocolate. I even try to do some exercise while watching TV. I try to find one good thing I did for myself each day and if I don't see weight go down, I know it will soon. Try not to get discouraged. As my doctor told me, it took you years to put it on, it may take that long to get it off safely. Good luck and welcome to Fitday.

---------------
Starting weight : 198lbs (6-20-10)
Current weight : 186 lbs (8-13-10)
Mini goal weight: 175 lbs (8-24-10)
GOAL WEIGHT : 120-130 lbs (12-20-10)

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ml?Owner=zinal

"Every journey starts with one small step."