FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1679-awesome-august-100-ladies.html)

almeeker 08-03-2010 02:52 PM

Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies

Welcome aboard. I don't really have much of anything to post. I'm waiting for my pickles to do their thing, then I can go to bed. That's no joke, I really am making pickles, the whole house stinks to high heaven of dill, garlic, vinegar, mustard seed and onions.

I thought I blew it at dinner, because I ate a couple of things I normally don't touch, but I got the calories added up and I'm still under 2,000, so not bad for the day overall, especially considering that I've been making pickles since mid day. I love pickles.

smooshmcsmeesh 08-03-2010 03:03 PM

Yum, I love pickles! And garlic! I bet the house smells amazing =).

I'm on board with the group for August, and hope to report some successes as we go through the month. Today is only the 2nd day of my logging, and I was a little frustrated at dinner because hubby made grilled burgers and I thought I was doing well by eating them without the bun, until I realized one patty had 330 calories! And I had 2! Yikes. So I'm a bit over on my intake today, but it's still less than I have been eating, so I guess it's a start.

Also didn't exercise today. Going from extremely sedentary to working out 5-7 days a week is a little intimidating. I'm just gonna take it slow and ease into it. I hope. :p

Hope everyone is having a good week so far.

Best always,
Smoosh

Susan8Less 08-03-2010 03:41 PM

Almeeker Thanks for starting a new thread. New month.. new thread.. one pound at a time!!

Originally Posted by Pixie5477 (Post 17595)
I need advice where to shop for good running shoes. I have been told to try Sport Chalet & Sports Authority. anywhere else I should try?

Hi Pixie, I recently purchased running shoes from The Running Room. http://www.shop.runningroom.com/prod...oducts_id=4525. These are the only pair of shoes I've ever owned that don't hurt my feet. They are regularly around $200.

They also have a shoe finder at http://www.shop.runningroom.com/?shoefinder=launch but check out the clearance section for more shoes in the "cushioning" category.

I am doing a modified version of the couch to 5k program and I'm running 5 x 200 meters, 3 days a week. Even though I'm still 87 lbs overweight, I can run now, without sore feet! I'm sure there are lots of other great shoes too. The important thing is, go for cushioning and comfort!

P.S. I've been trying to post all day and fitday kept timing out. I took off my signature and now it works!

mtlgirl 08-04-2010 12:28 AM

Running shoes

Pixie, I agree with Susan8Less. The Running Room is a good place to go because they are qualified to analyze your feet and assess which shoes are the best for your needs. If you plan of running or doing anything with a high impact on your feet, the right shoes are very important. They are pricey for sure but physiotherapy is too!

Susan, good for you for modifying the Couch To 5K program! I did that too. I'm actually going to finish it today and it took me 11 weeks instead of 9 but I could not be happier or more proud for accomplishing this goal. It's a great feeling so keep up the good work! :)

carrenross 08-04-2010 03:42 AM

Couch to 5K

Originally Posted by mtlgirl (Post 17652)
Pixie, I agree with Susan8Less. The Running Room is a good place to go because they are qualified to analyze your feet and assess which shoes are the best for your needs. If you plan of running or doing anything with a high impact on your feet, the right shoes are very important. They are pricey for sure but physiotherapy is too!

Susan, good for you for modifying the Couch To 5K program! I did that too. I'm actually going to finish it today and it took me 11 weeks instead of 9 but I could not be happier or more proud for accomplishing this goal. It's a great feeling so keep up the good work! :)

What is this Couch to 5k you talk about? Right now I am only walking - shooting for 10000 steps a day, but really want to run - but at 247# ? ? ? Thanks for the info on shoes too! I was wondering the same thing as Pixie. Carren

GameGal 08-04-2010 04:46 AM

I found you all!! Glad you left a forwarding addy since we seem to move often :p

Almeeker I am soooo addicted to kosher dills. It started about 4 months ago. It started as a horrible craving and I could eat an entire jar in 1 day. It's now to the point where I can get by eating a forkful or a couple spears. I thought it was that my craving was my body saying i needed something, but I have figured out that it is because it has a 'strong' flavor. Same reason I am craving tomatos, oranges, melons. Unfortunately my pickle thing is racking up the water weight like there is no tomorrow. Last week I gained almost 15 lbs of water weight from all that sodium.

I am wondering since you are having probs with those last 35 lbs.. since you seem to be very active and work out, if it isnt time to drop the calories a litle bit. I am thinking what the dietitian explained to me that when you stop losing for a week or 2, then drop your daily intake down by 100 a day. You can drop until you hit about 1200 - 1400 calories for maintenance.

smooshmcsmeesh - i think we have all made the mistake of not realizing how many calories and fat etc are in something and eat more than we should. Today is a new day, and for next time you will remember!

ChunkyDunk - have you thought about or looked into swimming/water based exercises? They souldnt hurt your back, knees or any other thing. Some community colleges offer these classes for a minimal cost.

mstaff congrats on the loss!! You are doing so well!

Keep up the good work everyone!!

I also do not always remember who is new here so welcome!! to all I have missed, it wasnt done on purpose. :o

mtlgirl 08-04-2010 04:59 AM

Couch To 5K

Hi Carren,

The Couch To 5k is a running program for true beginners. It was designed to ease a couch potato into becoming able to run 5k (3 miles) in 2 months but really it's more of a walking/jogging program for the first 6 weeks and it's wise to take the time you need to get through the program at your own pace. I repeated a couple of weeks when I didn't think I was ready to move on to the next level. Here is a link to the program Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

I highly recommend it! The feeling of accomplishment is so fantastic and if you are impatient like me, you will appreciate how steadily you will improve every week. Be sure to take it as slow as you need to though! ;)

Let us know what you decide...

almeeker 08-04-2010 05:42 AM

Hello ladies glad the move didn't throw anybody off too much.

Gamegal, have you considered making your own lower sodium kosher dills? Unless you're Jewish and keep kosher, you don't need a Rabi, just some cucumbers, kosher salt, fresh dill, vinegar and garlic. I make a modified version of my moms recipe, which only has 1 cup of kosher salt per 5 quarts of liquid, but I cut that in half and it works just fine. Although I confess to being up on the scales this morning and I know it was water weight, because last night when I went to bed my hands and feet were swollen. I drank a ton of water yesterday, but it was Africa hot here and I spent nearly the entire day on my feet eating cucumbers right out of the brine. The finished pickles have been rinsed, so they aren't so bad as the 1/2 finished ones I ate yesterday. Oh well, maybe tomorrow I will be back down, or the day after. So I'm drinking a lot today and going to focus on snapping beans, which don't get any added salt. You are also right on the money with dropping my calories. I'm having a very hard time with it, I can't seem to stay on track with my old budget let alone drop down to a lower one. Which I think has to do with the fact that I'm in much much better shape than I was originally, and I really do need more to eat just to function, or at least my metabolism certainly thinks so. I'm hungry all the time now, ravenous in fact. I've tried upping my workout, but seriously how many hours/day is too many? Much more than 60-75 minutes isn't even feasible most days. I'll find my new groove, I just have to think and be positive...

I'm doing something like Cto5K as well, but I haven't been really strict about the minutes. I run, then I walk, then I run, then I walk, and when I have to stop I turn around and come home. Last time I went, I was able to run all but 4 blocks, and according to mapmyrun.com I went 5.1 miles total, so not half bad.

smooshmcsmeesh 08-04-2010 06:07 AM

Hi everyone... happy Wednesday!
I'm on Day 3 of my logging, and trying not to get on the scale every morning (which is so tempting), but already I'm feeling a bit better. I've dropped a few pounds of water weight and was very happy when my husband came home from work today, toting grocery bags of healthy fruits, veggies, whole wheat grains & lean meats. He's doing this with me, which is the first time in our 13 yrs. of marriage, and I'm really feeling like his support is gonna be the key to our success this time!

Thanks for posting the link about the Couch-to-5k program. I've never considered the possibility of running, and always felt like the first one who would die in a horror movie because I couldn't run to save my life. LOL

But I think I may give it a shot.

My dogs are going crazy for some baby carrots, so I better go share with them before they lose their voices. =)

Working on my signature too. I'm so inspired reading all of yours!

smooshmcsmeesh 08-04-2010 06:32 AM

Introducing...
My new signature! =)

This took more courage for me than I thought it would, but you gals are all so inspiring -- I am unafraid. Thank you.

Pixie5477 08-04-2010 09:56 AM

Thanks for the advice

Susan8Less & MTLGirl -- Thank you so much for the advice on shoes. I will definitely check that website out. I appreciate it. I am looking forward to finding out how decent shoes impact my workout. :)

Smooshmcsmeesh -You're so cute! Never be afraid. (Maybe your courage will inspire me to change my signature as well.) I don't know why it's so scary on an anonymous website.

mstaff4564 08-04-2010 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 17619)
Welcome aboard. I don't really have much of anything to post. I'm waiting for my pickles to do their thing, then I can go to bed. That's no joke, I really am making pickles, the whole house stinks to high heaven of dill, garlic, vinegar, mustard seed and onions.

Oh, I love homemade pickles. My mom has been canning some, and they are WONDERFUL on burgers, in tuna fish, or just on their own. I really have to pace myself with them, or they are all gone before I know it.

Today has not been a great day. Scale was up 1.2lbs, but that's likely all water weight. I did a good workout on the treadmill, so I WAS feeling pretty good until I went out to my car.

There's a sweet little stray dog hanging around the house that won't go away. He has no tags. We can't take in another dog (we've already adopted 2 neighborhood strays), but it just breaks my heart to doom this little innocent dog to the pound and a likely death because some idiot redneck in my backwoods hometown can't be bothered to be responsible for his animals.

We found a leash, some food & some water for him. Tomorrow I'm taking him in for vaccinations & a checkup, and if all is well, we're going to introduce him to our dogs & see how they get along. I've contacted a local no-kill shelter, and should hopefully only have to foster him for a few weeks before they can take him. (Cross your fingers)

I left my lunch at home, so I had to turn around to get it (because I can't afford to buy anything for lunch) and was an hour late to work. And work's been awful too. I just feel as if I've been surrounded by crazy people all day. I had to trudge out in 100-degree heat to get something for my lunch (that I ended up eating an hour late).

So today? Not a good day at all.

I did decide to glam up a bit today though. I am wearing a top that normally makes me self-concious because it's a tighter (better) fit than my normal billowy tops. I added some bracelets, a necklace, and earrings. No makeup yet, but once I can afford some, I might start using it a little.

That's a big deal because I'm normally just a "wash & go" kind of girl, and the fact that I'm taking a little more care is a signal I'm feeling better about myself. YAY!

almeeker 08-04-2010 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie5477 (Post 17741)
Susan8Less & MTLGirl -- Thank you so much for the advice on shoes. I will definitely check that website out. I appreciate it. I am looking forward to finding out how decent shoes impact my workout. :)

Smooshmcsmeesh -You're so cute! Never be afraid. (Maybe your courage will inspire me to change my signature as well.) I don't know why it's so scary on an anonymous website.

I too am looking for a new workout shoe, so thanks for the heads up. I have wide feet so I need to find one that either comes that way or is generously cut.

You know on the signatures, it was completely liberating to me to share my weight, even though it was scary and flashed through my nervous system as I hit the enter button that first time. But you know what it was really helpful, once you confess you become accountable and somehow more determined. You're among friends and peers here, we all understand, we're all there with you, I've never seen anyone get laughed at or made fun of because of their weight on this thread. So go ahead get brave, all you have to lose is weight.

smooshmcsmeesh 08-04-2010 11:18 AM

It did feel very liberating Almeeker. You're right. And although it's not reflected in my signature, when I made my profile pages public today, i saw some very old reports (from 2006) when I first joined FitDay. Back then, my weight was 295. So I'm actually down 30 pounds from that highest weight, and I hope to just keep getting smaller. :D

The only thing that contributed to that previous weight loss was cutting out fast-food and soft drinks.

Now that I'm actually trying to eat healthier and start exercising, I'm very excited about the future. I really want to check in here everyday and keep focused on my goals.

WE CAN DO IT!

ChunkyDunk78 08-04-2010 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by GameGal (Post 17683)

ChunkyDunk - have you thought about or looked into swimming/water based exercises? They souldnt hurt your back, knees or any other thing. Some community colleges offer these classes for a minimal cost.
o

This was the idea I had... Unfortunately, the community college here doesn't even have a pool. On top of that, I called a bunch of gyms, and none of them have any options to pay to just use the pool OR take just water based classes. I might be able to swing a membership this fall, but I can't right now.
I have been able to do 2 short walks every day (except yesterday because we had massive rain and flooding)-- only 15 minutes each, but it adds up... Also, I have been stretching AND at work, we have stairs, and usually I would try to make less trips, but now I make a separate trip for everything, as well as walk the long way around (confusing, but I work in a little building off of our main building). I also have been pushing 100 oz. of water consistently... before I would get in 60-80, but struggle to get the last 20 oz., and I am doing that. So woot :)
Today it was soo muggy, sticky, hot out.. I walked the dog and then came home to do some massive cleaning... sweat was pouring off my face LOL.

ldybug1752 08-04-2010 12:52 PM

Hello ladies! I'm not sure how much I had lost last time I posted, but I'm down 23.4 pounds (since 5/25/10) so I'm feeling pretty awesome about that. I'm not feeling awesome, however, about the fact that I haven't worked out since I got back from my trip to Ohio. I used the fitness center in the hotel on my vacation, but can't seem to make myself workout after I get home..what's wrong with this picture? :rolleyes: LOL!

My baby girl turns 2 on Sunday, so it's been a really busy week for me, planning her party and getting everything ready for it. It's not a big extravaganza like her first birthday, but it's enough to make me still stress a little bit. Should be fun, anyway. :)

I agree about sharing my weight in my signature. It absolutely makes me feel more accountable, since I know people are looking to see a loss in my numbers and I don't want to disappoint or make anyone feel like looking at my signature was totally anticlimactic..LOL! :D

mstaff - That's great that you're feeling better about yourself! I used to NEVER leave the house without makeup on (at the very least, some eyeliner) but when I got pregnant making myself looking good sort of went on the back burner and then my weight kept going up and up and up. I have recently started putting on some eyeliner before I leave the house again, and holy cow does it make me feel good! It's amazing how something so small can have such a big impact on confidence. Great job!

Congrats to all the other losses this week and for those that haven't lost this week, don't give up, you're still doing great!

GameGal 08-04-2010 05:31 PM

almeeker said...

Gamegal, have you considered making your own lower sodium kosher dills? Unless you're Jewish and keep kosher, you don't need a Rabi, just some cucumbers, kosher salt, fresh dill, vinegar and garlic. I make a modified version of my moms recipe, which only has 1 cup of kosher salt per 5 quarts of liquid, but I cut that in half and it works just fine.
I am not Jewish nor have a need for a Rabbi blessing on my pickles lol but there is something very different between dill (like hambuger dills) and kosher.. I am not sure what the difference is.. but I am not all that fond of regular dill... only kosher dill. As to my making my own :eek: thats a scary thought! LOL!! I only make 2 things well ( a veg. beef cabbage soup) and stuffed cabbage. Anything else, whether its canning, or simply cooking, and there is a fair chance someone would die from eating it. So while it was a great idea, its not likely I can do it. I am the same way about plants. I love plants. Want plants. I am given plants and within a week they are dead. A friend of mine got me air fern, no watering no nothing just lives forever...
mine turned brown and disentigrated within 5 days :(

I just need to find some other food that has much less sodium but just as much flavor.

ChunkyDunk - I am not sure where you live but if its anywhere near a good sized city.. you might see if your local hospitals have water aerobics. Several of ours do ( and a few have an entire fitness center) but in the last few years, since the community college started their program, some of them closed their pool. But walking is good and anything at all that you can do helps.

mstaff - thats a great sign that you are feeling better about yourself. I am also a wash and go kinda gal but I just have never liked makeup. I am proud of you, that even though you had a hard day, it sounds like you stuck to the plan :) (And thank you for rescuing (even if its only for a foster home) the dog... dogs have a special place in my heart and I get so riled up when I hear of any being abandoned or mistreated.. so thank you so much for trying to help!)

Welcome back ldybug.. good job on the loss!

almeeker 08-04-2010 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by GameGal (Post 17765)
I am not Jewish nor have a need for a Rabbi blessing on my pickles lol but there is something very different between dill (like hambuger dills) and kosher.. I am not sure what the difference is.. but I am not all that fond of regular dill... only kosher dill. As to my making my own :eek: thats a scary thought! LOL!! I only make 2 things well ( a veg. beef cabbage soup) and stuffed cabbage. Anything else, whether its canning, or simply cooking, and there is a fair chance someone would die from eating it. So while it was a great idea, its not likely I can do it.

There are 3 things (well 4 if you get a Rabi blessing) that make Kosher dills taste different from regular dills, sugar, Kosher salt and garlic. Maybe half the varieties of commercially available dill pickles contain sugar, Kosher dills do not.I don't really know why Kosher salt makes them taste different, but it does. It's coarser and doesn't dissolve as quickly as canning salt, and once the brine has boiled a while it begins to settle out of the solution much earlier than canning salt does. It's chemically different somehow so the brine bath affects the cucumbers in a slightly different manner. Also regular dills may or may not have garlic in them, but Kosher dills always have quite a lot of garlic. I usually put 2 whole cloves in each jar. A friend of mine makes hers with a full tablespoon of sliced garlic, but I think her husband has a Jewish grandmother, so there might be a family standard to live up to there.

Believe me if you can wash dishes and boil water, you can make dill pickles. You don't even have to can them, just leave them in a ceramic crock on the counter. They will keep for months like that. Seriously all you do is wash them, trim the ends off of each cucumber, make the brine (kosher salt, vinegar, water all boiled together), layer the cucumbers, some fresh dill, maybe a whole head of garlic (peeled of course) into a crock and put a cover on it. In six week you'll have pickles, but you can munch on them between now and then, in fact you might eat them all before they become fully pickled, so better make two batches. You can also make brine pickles, like the ones you get with good deli sandwiches, those are made with salt, water, vinegar and cucumbers, very easy, very yummy.

ChunkyDunk78 08-05-2010 12:44 AM

[QUOTE=mstaff4564;17745]

I did decide to glam up a bit today though. I am wearing a top that normally makes me self-concious because it's a tighter (better) fit than my normal billowy tops. I added some bracelets, a necklace, and earrings. No makeup yet, but once I can afford some, I might start using it a little.

QUOTE]

Mstaff---- Well, that just makes me think.. if you are willing to let me... I would love to treat you to a couple of fun items :) (not used, of course LOL). Because you deserve it !!!

If you would let me... I would just need to know your hair/eye and skin tone, as well as any make-up allergies... and what your best/favorite facial feature is. I know for me, wearing eye makeup (especially eye liner and mascara) make a ton of difference in how I feel about myself... My eyes are my best feature, and whenever I play them up, people always comment :o) It's definitely a little self esteem boost. I go for a minimal look, but still couldn't live without the basics :)
If you're interested... email me at [email protected]
I just love to make other people smile! :)

almeeker 08-05-2010 01:58 AM

You are so right about a little touch of make-up. I used to wear it religiously, just a little mascara, a swoosh of blush and maybe a tiny bit of shadow or liner. But with 3-5 kids and my low glam lifestyle, most days I don't manage to get any make-up painted on. However the other day I did manage a swipe or two of mascara and guess what? DH was rather more attentive than usual, I'd completely forgotten that the "high maintenance" look does a little something for him. Weeeellll, the kids are going with the grandparents this weekend, maybe mommy needs to run out and grab a new tube of mascara, or even better, paint her toenails something bright and naughty....

carrenross 08-05-2010 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by mtlgirl (Post 17685)
Hi Carren,

The Couch To 5k is a running program for true beginners. It was designed to ease a couch potato into becoming able to run 5k (3 miles) in 2 months but really it's more of a walking/jogging program for the first 6 weeks and it's wise to take the time you need to get through the program at your own pace. I repeated a couple of weeks when I didn't think I was ready to move on to the next level. Here is a link to the program Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

I highly recommend it! The feeling of accomplishment is so fantastic and if you are impatient like me, you will appreciate how steadily you will improve every week. Be sure to take it as slow as you need to though! ;)

Let us know what you decide...

Thanks for the information and website. Will read when I get home from work today. Looking forward to it. BTW - How do you add all that information on the end of your emails regarding dates/weights etc...is that a tool on FitDay?

almeeker 08-05-2010 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by carrenross (Post 17786)
Thanks for the information and website. Will read when I get home from work today. Looking forward to it. BTW - How do you add all that information on the end of your emails regarding dates/weights etc...is that a tool on FitDay?

Click "User CP" and "Edit Signature".

smooshmcsmeesh 08-05-2010 03:52 AM

Hi everyone!
Just checking in. Feeling a little sore after yesterday's venture into 'aerobics land' =)... but it's not unbearable.

I'm feeling good about my progress so far this week, and keeping up with all of you here on the forums.

Hope your day is a great one!

Funny fitness quote of the day:

"Aerobics: a series of strenuous exercises which help convert fats, sugars, and starches into aches, pains, and cramps." ~Author Unknown

I can relate to that! :D

ChunkyDunk78 08-05-2010 05:12 AM

LOL funny quote about aerobics. I remember when I was about 19 or 20, I took an hour long aerobics class. At the time, I went to the gym a lot, biked, walked all over, etc. I was probably 20 lbs overweight, but was pretty strong and active. That aerobics class KICKED MY ASS!!! I just could NOT keep up. I had NO energy!!

WeightlossBoo 08-05-2010 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh (Post 17793)
Hi everyone!
Just checking in. Feeling a little sore after yesterday's venture into 'aerobics land' =)... but it's not unbearable.

Awesome! Well done. :D
I did a class on Tuesday evening called 'Legs, Bums, Tums' which was aerobics plus sit-ups and bum lifts. I could barely get out of bed yesterday morning, so stiff and sore. I'm going back next week for more pain. ;)

Hope everyone is having a good week, one way or another!!!

I have my six week review on Tuesday, and my trainer said he's gonna increase my workout loads. His words; I'm going to slaughter you!

smooshmcsmeesh 08-05-2010 09:55 AM

Eeek, he's going to slaughter you Boo? LOL
Good luck with that, and thanks for the words of encouragement. I haven't gotten my exercise in yet today -- but heading to tackle that right now. :D

almeeker 08-05-2010 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78 (Post 17799)
LOL funny quote about aerobics. I remember when I was about 19 or 20, I took an hour long aerobics class. At the time, I went to the gym a lot, biked, walked all over, etc. I was probably 20 lbs overweight, but was pretty strong and active. That aerobics class KICKED MY ASS!!! I just could NOT keep up. I had NO energy!!

I've been doing aerobics since the 80's, back when aerobics was a lot of jumping and bouncing and instructors had big beefy legs. Anyway I did a one hour line dancing class and aerobics all through my last pregnancy and at 37 1/2 weeks preggo DH and I went to a wedding, where I danced my fat, knocked up, fanny off all night long (keep in mind I was 37 1/2 weeks pregnant and 100+ pounds overweight). When I danced with the groom he was like "holy cow, I've known a lot of pregnant women (he's a pediatrician), but not one of them could have kept up with you tonight". The funny part is that when he said that, I was just getting warmed up.

Aerobics hasn't kicked my a$$ in a very long time, if you want to hurt me bad, you'll have to bring it on with some yoga. Now there's a workout to make you cry the next day, well you can cry if your eyelids aren't too swollen that is...

ChunkyDunk78 08-06-2010 03:39 AM

Even before I gained weight, I was never light on my feet...

Anyways, I had a little victory today... will probably seem small to most of you, but to me it was HUGE.

I have lived in this neighborhood for about 7 years... There is a little loop around the homes, but the road down here is a hill. Anytime I walk (the dog, or alone), I just walk loops around the flatter area. In the whole 7 years, I have never even ATTEMPTED to walk up that hill, because I just did not think I could do it. Well, last night, I decided to walk partway up it... I turned around almost to the top, because my back was starting to hurt.
Today though, I took the dog and we walked up to the top, onto the main street, across a field, and THEN turned around to come back. It was definitely a bit much (I probably pushed a little harder than I should have), BUT mentally, it felt GREAT! I do have a massive headache now though, LOL.

smooshmcsmeesh 08-06-2010 03:54 AM

Chunky that's awesome! Grats girl! I have a lot of hills around my home too, and I attempted to climb them before but got so winded! Thankfully my hubby was with me to push my butt up to the top or I may have just ended up rolling back to the bottom. LOL

Keep up the good work... pretty soon you'll be running up that hill! :D

mstaff4564 08-06-2010 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78 (Post 17899)
Anyways, I had a little victory today... will probably seem small to most of you, but to me it was HUGE.

I have lived in this neighborhood for about 7 years... There is a little loop around the homes, but the road down here is a hill. Anytime I walk (the dog, or alone), I just walk loops around the flatter area. In the whole 7 years, I have never even ATTEMPTED to walk up that hill, because I just did not think I could do it. Well, last night, I decided to walk partway up it... I turned around almost to the top, because my back was starting to hurt.
Today though, I took the dog and we walked up to the top, onto the main street, across a field, and THEN turned around to come back. It was definitely a bit much (I probably pushed a little harder than I should have), BUT mentally, it felt GREAT! I do have a massive headache now though, LOL.

It's not small at all, that is amazing, especially with the back issues you have! Going a little farther, doing a little more each day...it all adds up :)

I had my own little victory this morning. I did some intervals on the treadmill because I was just SO tired, I didn't think I would finish. But right around the 25 min mark, I got a second wind & went at 2.5mph for 10 minutes! That's the longer I've went at that consistent speed since I started. And I wasn't nearly as sweaty as I normally am when I was done, so I am definitely getting stronger. It looks like I'm going to have to ramp it up a bit next week...my body is getting more efficient.

It looks like I probably won't have a big loss like I did last week. The scale sneaked up a little during the week (1.2lb gain) & is slowly going back down (down to 234.8 now, .4 above my lowest on Monday. But that's OK. I'm still hitting my calorie range and working out pretty well. Working out could be better, but I've just been so tired this week. Some of it is stress over money & over the stray dog situation, some of it is lack of sleep. I haven't been getting my full 8 hours every night this week. My husband has actually worked 3 days so far this week (YAY!), so I'm having to step it up a bit when I get home with my chores & stepson, and most nights I'm not settling down myself until 9pm.

But I'm going to keep pushing through & not worry about it if I don't see a big loss on the scale. After last week's big drop, I'm more confident that my body is probably not going to have a steady loss, so as long as I meet my goals, who cares if I lose the same amount each week? The long term goals are more important than what I see on the scale week to week. I need to stay focused on meeting my daily food & exercise needs, & upping the intensity of my exercise when I see I'm getting stronger.

ChunkyDunk78 08-06-2010 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by mstaff4564 (Post 17904)
I had my own little victory this morning. I did some intervals on the treadmill because I was just SO tired, I didn't think I would finish. But right around the 25 min mark, I got a second wind & went at 2.5mph for 10 minutes! That's the longer I've went at that consistent speed since I started. And I wasn't nearly as sweaty as I normally am when I was done, so I am definitely getting stronger. It looks like I'm going to have to ramp it up a bit next week...my body is getting more efficient.

But I'm going to keep pushing through & not worry about it if I don't see a big loss on the scale. After last week's big drop, I'm more confident that my body is probably not going to have a steady loss, so as long as I meet my goals, who cares if I lose the same amount each week? The long term goals are more important than what I see on the scale week to week. I need to stay focused on meeting my daily food & exercise needs, & upping the intensity of my exercise when I see I'm getting stronger.

Awesome :) I am a poor judge of mph, LOL, but what did you start out capable of doing?

You are so right, that if your body is weird and hangs on one week, but then drops double the next week, then there's nothing wrong with that. Most people go by a weekly weigh in, but when you think about it, your body doesn't KNOW it's your weigh in day LOL. Maybe you could measure progress by monthly.....

smooshmcsmeesh 08-06-2010 07:57 AM

Woot! Grats Michelle!
I haven't gotten my workout in yet today, but plan to do so in the next 30 minutes. I just made some popcorn as a snack and burned it =(. I was tempted to still eat it, because I hate wasting, but it was so gross I just chucked it and made another 100 calorie pack. >.<

My hubby is off work this weekend and he suggested that we go out walking some nature trails because the weather is supposed to be nice. I'm looking forward to that.

Have a great Friday gals! :D

changeisgood29 08-06-2010 12:01 PM

Howdy and happy Friday to all. :)

Grats to Chunky and MStaff for your victories in exercise - it's such a cool feeling when you see tangible results of how your body is getting better.

Speaking of the devil (the devil being exercise...hahaha I'm kidding... I think), I know most of you folks exercise, so here's a question for you. Call me crazy, but I love the treadmill and have been consistently walking at a 3.5 mph clip with intermittent inclines. At this point, I go for 45 min 5-6 days a week. I find that lately I've been moving faster than the belt (too many times, my toes will scuff the top of the machine when I step down), so I'm tempted to up the intensity. However, my initial goal has been to work up my endurance to 60 minutes and THEN up the intensity as needed. The other thing is that whole "fat burn range" idea where 'they' say you burn more fat calories at a lower heart rate (I think it's around 140 or 150, and I'm way above that with my workout as it is) than a higher one... But then, you burn more calories period going at a higher intensity. So I'm rather stumped - although I definitely break a sweat and then some, I want more of a challenge from my workout. I'm happy with walking, as it's just about the only exercise I like and will do, so I plan on sticking with the 'mill. Any thoughts? Of course, I could go as planned to 60 min and watch where I put my darn feet. :P Hope I'm not buggin' anyone by not putting this in the 'Exercise' topic; I just feel more comfortable here. :) Thanks!

GameGal 08-06-2010 01:03 PM

WTG to all you awesome ladies!!

I only have 2 thoughts about the treadmill, and I am definately not an expert at it but in a couple months, I went from 1mph for 7 minutes to 2.1mph at at 2 incline for 30 minutes. So all I can suggest, I guess depending on what kind of mill you have but if it has side rails, stand back from the very front and hang onto the the side rails further back. If you are not holding on at all, and you just find yourself going consistantly faster, so that you hit the front with your feet, you need to up the speed because you are naturally going faster.

The only other suggestion I have, and it is just that, a suggestion...

I know you said you only like to walk but.. all the doctors, experts etc have said * and I tend to believe them* that you need to mix up your exercise routine because lets say you only walk, then those particular muscles you use for that are not only the only ones that will tone up.. but they will get used to it and it will take more and more to get it to keep toning. But if you mix things up, it will work all your muscles and it will be harder for your body to get to a standstill workout wise. I am not sure I can explain it correctly, but maybe someone else can.

Have a great weekend all!

changeisgood29 08-06-2010 01:29 PM

Hey GameGal, thanks for the input. I'm about to gym it up momentarily, so maybe I'll try upping the intensity. I know what you're saying about muscle memory/the fact that the more you do a given exercise, the more efficient (read: burn less calories) you become at it. You're right, ultimately it absolutely is better to mix it up. At some point, I'd like to throw in 30 Day Shred or some other 'mixed' workout, but I have to say, the last time the husband and I tried it, it was very far from enjoyable. I have a high threshold for pain, but Jillian pushed it for me and had me cursing at her something bad the next day. :D Of course, we were kind of stupid and tried to go at Jillian's pace as opposed to our own. Haha, that didn't go so well. Maybe we'll work up the courage to try that "mean lady" (one of the less offensive things I called her) at our own pace again soon.

GameGal 08-06-2010 06:12 PM

I have not tried those video exercise routines simply because they are not at my starting point... but I know of one that truely does start wherever you are, and given there are many 40+ here, although I dont personally like the man, his workouts are great because they are to the oldies... Richard Simmons. Anyone used his tapes?

smooshmcsmeesh 08-06-2010 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by GameGal (Post 17960)
I have not tried those video exercise routines simply because they are not at my starting point... but I know of one that truely does start wherever you are, and given there are many 40+ here, although I dont personally like the man, his workouts are great because they are to the oldies... Richard Simmons. Anyone used his tapes?

I used to 'Sweat to the Oldies' all the time! Those tapes would make me laugh so much, and no matter how often I tried them (which unfortunately wasn't as much as I should have... hehe) I always enjoyed them. I found the 'real people' in the videos very inspiring and loved how they'd show their weight loss success at the end.

almeeker 08-06-2010 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by GameGal (Post 17960)

Um, my mom has a set.

Actually when it comes to workout videos I really like Kathy Smith, she has a bunch of videos out there and every last one that I've tried was a decent workout, sweat and heart rate wise. And they never left me feeling crippled the next day, maybe a little sore, but not "I need some pain killers to get out of bed" sore.

almeeker 08-06-2010 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78 (Post 17899)
Even before I gained weight, I was never light on my feet...

I think that is HUGE!!!! Your mindset about what you are capable of doing is changing, and that my friend is the key to long term weight loss and fitness. So I'm raising my coffee cup up to you for tackling that hill!!! You go girl.

One thing I've been trying to do is when I run errands or hit the grocery store is to park as far from the door as I can, and walk it. You'd be amazed at how much faster it is. I watch people all the time waiting for a closer parking spot, while I pulled into the lot after them and have already made it to the front door. Another thing DH and I have both been doing is walking to the gym. For the 5 years we've belonged to the gym, we've always driven up there. It's 1.55 miles away, so there and back is exactly 3.1 miles or 5K. Earlier this summer it occurred to me that I was driving 3.1 miles to walk 5K on a treadmill. How stupid is that? So now I walk/run up there and just lift weights and then walk/run home.

WeightlossBoo 08-07-2010 12:50 AM

Surprisingly another 5lbs off this week. Either it's still water weight or I'm getting it right for a change.
I stopped logging calories on FitDay back in the 2/3rd week sometime as well. It felt so negative for me and I actually felt like I was on a diet rather than taking a lifestyle change.
Can't wait for Tuesday when I see my first measurements for 6 weeks. 27lbs is good, but inch loss will give me a far bigger boost!

I hope everyone is having good results this week!