Community
Notices

Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies

Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal
We might be twins... I am allergic to most fish, and dont like the ones I am not allergic to! From what I understand... the protein powder can be used with or without milk ( someone here .. I cant remember who) stirs it into their coffee. I dont think you need a blender, if you have a container you can use to shake it well. I thought I had read the description of one kind that you just add to water and it flavors itself

My biggest thing is controlling fat too. I have seen ppl say like 20% or 20grms? of fat a day but either I am not understanding that or I am very confused by the pie chart on FD. What I have been doing, instead of protein shakes, at Walmart, in the pharmacy section, they have Zone (brand) protein bars. I cant remember if there is 5 or 6 bars in the box but the box is $4 ish .

I have tried 3 of the flavors ( they carry I think 6).. peanut butter, choc mint and strawberry yogurt. All 3 are good. In fact, almost toooo good cuz I always have to remind myself 1 a day!. The only bad thing I can really say about them is.. I am not fond of the texture because I dont like granola, and this is that same texture.

Dont worry, I am fairly new at this too, but everyone here is so nice and supportive!
Mmmm, Zone bars...sounds good. I think we sell them at work - will check that out tomorrow. About the Fat % issue - I keep forgetting that there are bad fats and good fats. So, if we eat only the good fats the % shouldn't factor to much because we need fat to loose FAT, still a concept I just do not get but - oh well! So I stick to olive oil and avocados. I do splurge on my
salad dressing - measuring exact amounts - for my daily spinach salad. Taking one step at a time here on them, using lower and lower fat content ones.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 AM
FitDay Member

Afternoon ladies! *wave*

I have a question for those of you using protein shakes and/or bars as part of your diet. What is the main reason for this? Is it because you don't eat as much meat or other sources of protein? Is there some benefit to it that I don't understand? I'm just curious, as I'm a novice at nutrional supplements.

I have been taking a multi-vitamin and probably should take a calcium supplement, especially at my age, but I never really thought about a protein supplement.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

As for my new eating regimen, everything is going well. I'm feeling satisfied on the healthy foods I'm choosing and not deprived, though it's still early on in my behavioral change. My trigger foods are usually 'pizza' and 'ice cream', and I just haven't had those in the house. If I don't see it, I don't eat it, but I hope when the time comes I do have access to it -- I will be strong enough to make good choices or limit portion sizes to what they should be.

Hubby is cooking three pans of lasagne today for his co-workers. They are doing a pot-luck and he is a great chef. The smell will be tempting, but I still am not too worried about it. I've got other yummy foods to eat that will help me achieve my goals!

Retaining a bit of water today, and the scale reflects that. Gonna head to the library and look for more fitness DVDs to try out this week. Have a good one all!

Ciao,
Smoosh
Old 08-10-2010, 04:31 AM
FitDay Member

Quick question for you guys. I'd like to eat more fish...mostly tuna & some salmon, but I'm concerned about mercury levels. I know some of you do eat a lot of fish & that it's a great protein source, but I was curious how many times a week you eat it & how much? The recommendation I've seen is 3 cans a week, but sometimes I'm in the mood for another can or two.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh
I have a question for those of you using protein shakes and/or bars as part of your diet. What is the main reason for this? Is it because you don't eat as much meat or other sources of protein? Is there some benefit to it that I don't understand? I'm just curious, as I'm a novice at nutrional supplements.

I have been taking a multi-vitamin and probably should take a calcium supplement, especially at my age, but I never really thought about a protein supplement.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

As for my new eating regimen, everything is going well. I'm feeling satisfied on the healthy foods I'm choosing and not deprived, though it's still early on in my behavioral change. My trigger foods are usually 'pizza' and 'ice cream', and I just haven't had those in the house. If I don't see it, I don't eat it, but I hope when the time comes I do have access to it -- I will be strong enough to make good choices or limit portion sizes to what they should be.

Hubby is cooking three pans of lasagne today for his co-workers. They are doing a pot-luck and he is a great chef. The smell will be tempting, but I still am not too worried about it. I've got other yummy foods to eat that will help me achieve my goals!
OMG I think I can smell the lasagna from here, that would surely kill me if DH were to whip up a batch, let alone 3. Last night I went running, and there were people cooking on the grill at maybe 3-4 houses on my route, it smelled so good I almost jumped a fence and introduced myself.

I put chocolate protein powder in my morning coffee with a splash of skim milk, call it my "skinny muscle mocha latte". I only use it on the days I workout, to help reap more benefit from all that sweating. Once you tear the muscles up they need food and protein is muscle food. And when you tear them up and feed them, they get bigger, and more lean muscle makes you a more efficient calorie burner. Also the protein helps to fill me up, which is a good thing because breakfast tends to be one of the biggest meals of the day for me. Seriously I could eat a whole cow in the morning, I'm that hungry. The protein supplement also helps me get to 40-40-20 (carbs, proteins fats), which I've found is a good pie chart for me to lose at. Because even though I eat meat, I don't eat a lot of it, I'm something of a borderline vegetarian. Actually I was a practicing veggy-girl for years, but I have trouble with anemia, so I have to eat red meat 3X week, doctor's orders. Also when you're dieting, your body likes to burn muscle instead of fat, and this helps to keep that to a minimum.

Until joining this website I thought using protein supplements was way OTT for me and my family, but I've changed my mind after seeing that my pie chart was mostly carbs, and almost no protein at all. We have 3-4 kinds of protein powder in the house at the moment, and an assortment of protein bars as well. I like the bars for when the kids get something really yummy like cookies or candy bars, that way I can have something yummy and on plan. When we go to the grocery store my kids don't get a candy bar for good behavior they get their pick of the protein bars. And they even know it has to have at least 10 grams of protein, fewer than 20 grams of carbs, and can't cost more than $2. It's really funny to watch them choose, they actually read the labels and everything, which of course NEVER happened when they got to pick candy bars at the register.

Originally Posted by mstaff4564
Quick question for you guys. I'd like to eat more fish...mostly tuna & some salmon, but I'm concerned about mercury levels. I know some of you do eat a lot of fish & that it's a great protein source, but I was curious how many times a week you eat it & how much? The recommendation I've seen is 3 cans a week, but sometimes I'm in the mood for another can or two.
I don't know about the mercury thing. I eat tuna 4-6 times/week and other fish like 2-4X/month (more during lent). I have amalgum fillings and they have mercury in them too, and nobody seems too worried about those. I suppose mercury poisoning could be an issue down the road, but so far I don't have any symptoms. I just keep thinking to myself that if I lived in Italy, FL or Japan, I would eat fish everyday (and probably wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place).
Old 08-10-2010, 05:31 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh
Afternoon ladies! *wave*

Hi All,

I am so very inspired by all of you, you're working hard and making it happen! All of you are terrific role models! Thank you!

I’ve been trying to work up the courage to post, and it is a bit intimidating for me -- but it's time to stop just admiring all of your hard work.

Smoosh, I saw your post on protein powders and thought I might jump in.

A couple of years ago I took a nutrition class, keeping a written food diary and our instructor analysed our food and focused on food groups and the Canadian Food Guide. I was having major sugar cravings in the early afternoon and visiting the vending machine way too much. I ate grains in the morning but not much else. She suggested adding protein in the morning to get the afternoon sugar cravings in check. After not having time during the week for eggs and not liking many other protein as a breakfast food, I tried protein powder in the morning.

A family friend who is into body building pointed me to a brand at Costco that was very low in sugar and carbohydrates. I even found a protein powder low in carbs and sugar in the grocery store. I use the vanilla flavour so I taste the fruit I add. I combine it with water and ½ cup frozen raspberries and crush the berries with an immersion blender. With the help of a travel mug that takes a straw, I have breakfast to go. I had a blender before but found I couldn't get all of the smoothie out of the blender easily so DH picked one up last Xmas as a present for me.

Breakfast has always been a challenge for me to eat. The smoothies in the morning help get my metabolism going and help me stay on track and away from the chocolate.

Thanks to everyone for making this journey feel less solitary.

All the Best,
Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome, Gail! You've got nothing to be afraid of here. This is a wonderful group of ladies who all have a common goal, and the support here is just awesome! Congrats on your loss so far!

Today is a big day for me. As of this morning I'm down 25 pounds! I just feel so awesome. I've been slacking in the exercise department..still...but my sister and I are going to start doing Turbo Jam together, so that should kick my loss up a notch. I'm just amazed at how "second nature" it has become to make better choices. I love being aware of what I eat and how much of everything I'm getting. It just makes me feel SO in control! In 15 more pounds, when I reach 40 pounds lost, I think I'll treat myself to a new outfit, since my clothes are getting looser.

About the protein powder, I also usually have a protein shake for breakfast, along with a banana or a handful of grapes. I just stir one scoop into about 14oz (give or take) of skim milk. I'm not a huge fan of the taste, so I tend to chug it pretty quickly. When the 2 pounds of it that I'm working on is gone, I think I'll try the chocolate. I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein, vanilla. 2 pounds is about $17 at Wal-Mart, and so far has lasted me a few weeks. I find that it keeps me full for a few hours until I eat lunch, and I'm continuing to lose weight, so it's working pretty well for me.

Hope you ladies are having a wonderful Tuesday!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:06 PM
FitDay Member

Hiya Gail! So glad you're posting with us, welcome!

Thanks everyone for the information about the protein shakes & bars. I may have to research those a bit more and see if it's something that might be beneficial for me to consider -- if not now, then down the road in my journey.

About to get my exercise in for the day. Seems like the evening workouts happen more easily for me than trying to do it in the morning.

Enjoy your night gang!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM
FitDay Member

I stir one scoop of the Jillian Michaels protein powder into 2 cups of skim milk. The flavor is triple chocolate something and to me, it tastes EXACTLY like chocolate milk...
Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by harpegcanuck
Hi All,

I am so very inspired by all of you, you're working hard and making it happen! All of you are terrific role models! Thank you!

I’ve been trying to work up the courage to post, and it is a bit intimidating for me -- but it's time to stop just admiring all of your hard work.

Smoosh, I saw your post on protein powders and thought I might jump in.

A couple of years ago I took a nutrition class, keeping a written food diary and our instructor analysed our food and focused on food groups and the Canadian Food Guide. I was having major sugar cravings in the early afternoon and visiting the vending machine way too much. I ate grains in the morning but not much else. She suggested adding protein in the morning to get the afternoon sugar cravings in check. After not having time during the week for eggs and not liking many other protein as a breakfast food, I tried protein powder in the morning.

A family friend who is into body building pointed me to a brand at Costco that was very low in sugar and carbohydrates. I even found a protein powder low in carbs and sugar in the grocery store. I use the vanilla flavour so I taste the fruit I add. I combine it with water and ½ cup frozen raspberries and crush the berries with an immersion blender. With the help of a travel mug that takes a straw, I have breakfast to go. I had a blender before but found I couldn't get all of the smoothie out of the blender easily so DH picked one up last Xmas as a present for me.

Breakfast has always been a challenge for me to eat. The smoothies in the morning help get my metabolism going and help me stay on track and away from the chocolate.

Thanks to everyone for making this journey feel less solitary.

All the Best,
Hey, Thanks for the confirmation Gail! I was at Costco today checking out what they had for Whey Protein (30g/scoop) and their Protein Bars(same) and was amazed. I found the bars to be quite high in calorie (almost 300) and sodium - is that normal? If I wasn't walking today, I would have bought some - I will go back on Friday.

Anyone out there with diabetes AND using Protein Powder / Bars and not finding any BG issues? Let me know, another of my concerns.

Carren
Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 PM
FitDay Member

ldybug1752 - Well done on being 25lbs down! That's a great number, keep going!!!

Well, I had my 6 week review yesterday and I am one happy bunny.
My blood pressure has dropped to 121/81, my BMI has gone down by 3.9, I've lost a total of 11.5 inches all over my body (bust, waist, hips, upper arms and thighs) and my resting heart rate has gone down from 119bpm to 89bpm.
My trainer said that for my weight I am in amazingly good health, and his new work-out for me is totally kicking my butt. I haven't sweat so much in my life, and it feels great!

My first goal of reaching 250lbs by December is totally within reach, and knowing that is just going to make me work even harder. I never imagined 6 weeks ago that I'd be at this point!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.