Community
Notices

Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies

Old 08-09-2010, 08:37 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry I've been MIA the last few days...my brother (who is a SENIOR in high school, man I'm old!) stayed the weekend with us, so it was busy at my house.

Congrats on your losses changeisgood, carrenross, ChunkyDunk, & Boo...you are my heroes

And also congrats to smoosh for the loss & for being active every day. That is still a struggle for me to try to do some activity every day, especially since I work a desk job & commute for a total of 11 hours a day. I try to get up during lunches & breaks, but it's hard if you've got a lot of work to do!

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh
Probably has contributed to my sedentary lifestyle though -- so I'm trying to cut back some of my game time and devote it to fitness.
I love playing the Sims, other simulation games, & some of the games on the Wii. I also have a computer job, which definitely does not give me a lot of access to activity opportunities during the day

almeeker, I have one of those mothers too, and I am just waiting to see what happens when I get down below 175lbs. If your mother's been overprotective most of your life or if you've felt like you need acceptance from her, you could be dealing with subconscious thoughts concerning her advice. Maybe write down how her comments made you feel, what they make you feel like doing? If you see it down on paper, it might help you see where you started self-sabotaging and maybe help you figure out how you need to react to those thoughts instead.

I have similar issues with my parents saying stuff that created "bad programming" in my brain growing up. Like "What Mom says is always right, my opinion doesn't count." And that kind of crap and insecurity can carry over into adulthood. I did a post about it at SparkPeople (but not on my personal blog that's in the signature below since my family can see that one, and I'm not quite ready to cross that bridge with them yet).

And maybe signing up for that 5K might just be the boost you need to get started Do you have any other goals other than your final weight? Might be good to set a mini-goal & reward for the next 5-10lbs to help give you a boost.

Keep fighting the good fight, GameGal! I think the protein shakes are a good idea as well I wish I knew of some other sage advice, but the others have it covered pretty well...and I agree that with all that exercise, 800-900 calories is probably sending your body into starvation mode (just curious, what's your height?)

Not much to report this week. Only a .8lb loss, but lost 3 more inches in the past 2 weeks. Clothes are definitely getting baggier. I stayed the same with exercise & calorie ranges, but I think the lack of sleep, tons of stress, & few more carb grams did me in for the week. I'm going to ramp up the treadmill & try to stay in the lower range of my calories (1500-1800).

ChunkyDunk, to answer your question about what I started with in terms of treadmill speed. I started on 6/10 with a speed of 1.5-2mph (slow walking). I was doing 2-2.5mph for July & most of last week (walking with a purpose, basically), but I tried going longer at 2.5mph last Friday. With that success, today I got on the treadmill & did 2.5mph straight for 35 mins (I also upped the incline to 7%). I feel pretty good, and I plan to stick with that this week to see if this helps give me a better scale reading come next Monday.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 AM
FitDay Member

I seem to be feeling full but having a hard time not eating when I am not hungry... or eating until I am overly full. After this week, I am going to experiment with ONE week of NOT recording any food (if my OCD behavior will allow me that LOL), and see how I do. For some reason, I think I look at my calories and think "I can have ALL THIS, why stop?" I've had just under 1600 calories today (just finished dinner), and all day long, I've felt like I have been eating too much. Tomorrow I am going to try REALLY hard to eat and stop as soon as I feel no longer hungry. Even if that means I eat much less calories than I normally would allow myself.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mstaff4564

Keep fighting the good fight, GameGal! I think the protein shakes are a good idea as well I wish I knew of some other sage advice, but the others have it covered pretty well...and I agree that with all that exercise, 800-900 calories is probably sending your body into starvation mode (just curious, what's your height?)

Not much to report this week. Only a .8lb loss, but lost 3 more inches in the past 2 weeks. Clothes are definitely getting baggier. I stayed the same with exercise & calorie ranges, but I think the lack of sleep, tons of stress, & few more carb grams did me in for the week. I'm going to ramp up the treadmill & try to stay in the lower range of my calories (1500-1800).
Congrats on the .8!! it all adds up and the inches are great news too.

I am 5' 2". I havent been doing the protein shakes for 2 reasons. I really cant afford like $40 or more a month for it. And there are so many kinds out there, I dont have the vaguest idea which is best for me. I am a diabetic so I need to watch carbs and sugars.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78
I seem to be feeling full but having a hard time not eating when I am not hungry... or eating until I am overly full. After this week, I am going to experiment with ONE week of NOT recording any food (if my OCD behavior will allow me that LOL), and see how I do. For some reason, I think I look at my calories and think "I can have ALL THIS, why stop?" I've had just under 1600 calories today (just finished dinner), and all day long, I've felt like I have been eating too much. Tomorrow I am going to try REALLY hard to eat and stop as soon as I feel no longer hungry. Even if that means I eat much less calories than I normally would allow myself.
CD78 - Don't sweat it - you'll get there! For me it works if in the morning I plan what I will eat all day - then make up my snacks and whatever a head of time. Then, when it is time to eat/hungry - I know that that is THAT! Perhaps this method may help you. I know that this lifestyle changing is a work in process. I caution you about not recording - for me this is the only form of accountability to myself - keeps ME honest! That's what I tell myself - when in actuality - I just have a bad memory!
On another note - it dawned on me today that the more I walk the more calories I burn. Now, I know that is a simple enough concept but I see it as a 'wa hoo!' moment and very motivating. If I control my carbs to 30 gms each time I eat THEN when I walk the energy (carbs) I am burning is coming from - yep, FAT! I just love walking now. I slapped on my shades this morning and walk for 100 minutes (pedometer)! My mini-adventures have me seeing areas of my town I have NEVER seen before. "Walk On"
Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 AM
FitDay Member

Question

Originally Posted by GameGal
Congrats on the .8!! it all adds up and the inches are great news too.

I am 5' 2". I havent been doing the protein shakes for 2 reasons. I really cant afford like $40 or more a month for it. And there are so many kinds out there, I dont have the vaguest idea which is best for me. I am a diabetic so I need to watch carbs and sugars.
Are you my twin? I am 5'3" and diabetic too! I know what you mean about th carbs/sugars. I am struggling with getting enough protein and trying to keep the fat down. I DO NOT LIKE FISH (or seafood of any kind) - that is my cry lately - as I open yet another can of tuna. Protein shakes sound like an idea but don't you have to take that with milk? Do you need a blender? Do you have the shakes instead of or with your meals? Can you tell I am new at this!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
FitDay Member

We might be twins... I am allergic to most fish, and dont like the ones I am not allergic to! From what I understand... the protein powder can be used with or without milk ( someone here .. I cant remember who) stirs it into their coffee. I dont think you need a blender, if you have a container you can use to shake it well. I thought I had read the description of one kind that you just add to water and it flavors itself

My biggest thing is controlling fat too. I have seen ppl say like 20% or 20grms? of fat a day but either I am not understanding that or I am very confused by the pie chart on FD. What I have been doing, instead of protein shakes, at Walmart, in the pharmacy section, they have Zone (brand) protein bars. I cant remember if there is 5 or 6 bars in the box but the box is $4 ish .

I have tried 3 of the flavors ( they carry I think 6).. peanut butter, choc mint and strawberry yogurt. All 3 are good. In fact, almost toooo good cuz I always have to remind myself 1 a day!. The only bad thing I can really say about them is.. I am not fond of the texture because I dont like granola, and this is that same texture.

Dont worry, I am fairly new at this too, but everyone here is so nice and supportive!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:19 PM
FitDay Member

Good evening ladies. I just wanted to let you know that I feel very good about sharing my problems with mom, hopefully writing it all down and sharing was a bit of an ah-ha moment for me. I love her dearly and we are very close, but sometimes we have differences of opinion, and when we do her position usually negates mine.

I had a very good day today. My calories were still a little high, but I was in complete control all day, no binging or sabotage episodes. And we also had "Family Fit night", which means we take the kids to the fitness center pool for 2 hours, the first hour DH works out and I swim with the kids, and the second hour we change places. It was really great, and I felt so good at the end that I actually ran/walked home, and left DH to drive the mini-van full of mini-people home. My calories are actually only high by the extra snack I had when we got home from the fitness center, so by a banana and a cup of Greek yogurt with blueberries in it. So all in all the day was a success. And now I'm very tired....

Ohhhh I almost forgot, I found a new protein bar today and wanted to share. It's called Chocolite, I got the chocolate peanut butter one, and it's only 100 calories, 4 g fat, 9 g protein. I've been looking for one that had 100 calories because I can't always afford the 200+ calories most of them contain. Anyway it was like $1, and very yummy. I felt almost decadent eating it, like I was getting a candy bar or something. It doesn't have a granola texture it was more like peanut taffy (only not quite that chewy) covered in chocolate. Very very yummy, it's a good thing I only bought one.

Last edited by almeeker; 08-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78
Hey girl,
You know what, I stopped recording my food intake within 2 weeks of joining FitDay and since then I've still lost 12.5lbs in 3 weeks. For me the idea of having my food dictated by a computer counter really bummed me out, and I've become so in tune with my body that I don't feel I need to count. After everyone's advice, advice from my doctor, professional nutritionists etc, I know what's good and what's bad and I make my choices accordingly. I balance what I eat and plan my meals in the morning according to what I'm doing that day. I think over time you'll probably be the same, you just need to listen to your body and learn from it.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 AM
FitDay Member

I stir the protein powder into skim milk... I don't own a blender...
Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Good evening ladies. I just wanted to let you know that I feel very good about sharing my problems with mom, hopefully writing it all down and sharing was a bit of an ah-ha moment for me. I love her dearly and we are very close, but sometimes we have differences of opinion, and when we do her position usually negates mine.

I had a very good day today. My calories were still a little high, but I was in complete control all day, no binging or sabotage episodes. And we also had "Family Fit night", which means we take the kids to the fitness center pool for 2 hours, the first hour DH works out and I swim with the kids, and the second hour we change places. It was really great, and I felt so good at the end that I actually ran/walked home, and left DH to drive the mini-van full of mini-people home. My calories are actually only high by the extra snack I had when we got home from the fitness center, so by a banana and a cup of Greek yogurt with blueberries in it. So all in all the day was a success. And now I'm very tired....

Ohhhh I almost forgot, I found a new protein bar today and wanted to share. It's called Chocolite, I got the chocolate peanut butter one, and it's only 100 calories, 4 g fat, 9 g protein. I've been looking for one that had 100 calories because I can't always afford the 200+ calories most of them contain. Anyway it was like $1, and very yummy. I felt almost decadent eating it, like I was getting a candy bar or something. It doesn't have a granola texture it was more like peanut taffy (only not quite that chewy) covered in chocolate. Very very yummy, it's a good thing I only bought one.
Thanks for the heads up on this 100kCal protein bar. I will look for that today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.