Notices

pedometer that actually works?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
FitDay Member

Question pedometer that actually works?

ive had a few pedometers before and they dont seem to work very well. do any of you know of a good quality pedometer?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM
FitDay Member

I have an Omron Walking Style pedometer. LOVE IT. I've worn it faithfully since Christmas Day, seriously I get up in the morning and clip it to my pj's before I make coffee. It's small, about the size of a pocket watch and the clip comes off, so I can easily slip it in my pocket and since it also tells time, it is a pocket watch. I think the reason it works well for me is that you actually set your pace length and weight in it, so the distance and calories burned are more accurate than one that assumes every body is the same. I also like that it stores the data for a week, so I can log it, but don't have to be religious about checking it everyday. The first battery lasted about 6 months, and the batteries come in a 2 pack sold at Walmart, so it's not a hassle to keep it operational. And I want to say you can buy it on Amazon.com for about $20, but I don't know that for certain, mine was a gift.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 AM
FitDay Member

I just checked Wamart.com and they have several kinds for that brand ( all pocket ones) they range from $15 - $35. Some actually track calories and fat burned! I may get one thanks almeeker!!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Pedometers & Blue Jean Bragging

Originally Posted by slomoho1
ive had a few pedometers before and they dont seem to work very well. do any of you know of a good quality pedometer?
slomoho: I have the same one as almeeker. I, too, clip it to my pjs in the morning. I just replaced my battery 2 weeks ago. I got mine at the beginning of Jan. I absolutely love it.

Blue Jean: Went for a walk today and bought some blue jeans. Not planned, but couldn't help myself. I tried on 4 pairs named: Curvy, Shapely, Versatile and finally Slim. It was the SLIM that fit! OMG - I still can not believe it. PLUS they are a size....20 Petite It is so very exciting to wear two sizes smaller than I was. I almost got into an 18 but need to lose another inch or two to get them done up. In fact, I just ripped off the tags and wore them home.

All that said, a Pedometer is a MUST. It is motivating and striving to get my 10,000 steps a day has resulted in new jeans. Well worth every single step.

Good luck, Carren
Old 08-31-2010, 10:32 AM
FitDay Member

Do you have an iPod nano? If so, the new-ish ones have a pedometer built in! Not so great for all-day use, but good for tracking steps during a walk or run.

Along the same lines, I used Nike's iPod Plus program for a while and really liked it. It consists of a small adaptor that you plug into your iPod and a small chip that fits into a special slot on many Nike shoes. The program tracks steps, distance, calories burned, mile time, etc. You can press a button on your iPod to hear your progress as you work out. You can also press a button to send your music straight to your pre-set "pump up" song, great for when you need a boost! When you're done working out, a chipper voice will tell you that it was your longest time workout, furthest distance, fastest mile, etc. Whenever you sync your iPod to your computer, it will upload your workout data so that you can keep track of your stats. Very cool!

Hm. Might need to break mine out again... =)
Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

My SIL uses her iphone as a pedometer. I don't think it counts steps, but it tells her how far she ran, which is what she needs to know since she's training for a race.

I went on Amazon.com earlier to see if the one I have is still available, it looks like it's been replaced, but there were several on ebay, brand new still in the box.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

Which exact model do u have almeeker or caren?Like i said, I will be getting one but there are like 7 listed for that brand.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Arrow Pedometer Type

Originally Posted by GameGal
Which exact model do u have almeeker or caren?Like i said, I will be getting one but there are like 7 listed for that brand.
The brand name is OMRON. THen under that it says Walking Style. The 4 push buttons are labels Reset, Memory, Set and Mode. Model# HJ-112. It comes with a detachable clip and has a secondary cord with clip.

Here is a website you can read about it rating and it also has a picture of the actual unit.

Omron HJ-112 Pedometer - Review of Omron HJ-112 Pedometer

I got mine at Shoppers Drug Mart. If in the USA - maybe CVS or Walgren carry them.

Hope you find one, Carren
Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

Hey, thanks to everyone for for all the input - I was actually curious as to a good pedometer. I think Omron will thank you too, lol. I just ordered one and am excited to give it a go. Woot!