FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Hey! Newbie Here (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1634-hey-newbie-here.html)

TimeToShedPounds 07-28-2010 09:15 AM

Hey! Newbie Here

Hey All,
I'm new here! I was just browsing the web and came across this lovely site :) . Well, I'm here because I'm really trying to lose weight. I loss weight a couple of years ago and kept it off for a while....but...it's back now:( . I've been trying to keep it off but it's EXTREMELY hard to stay consistent. I lose some and then back off track again :mad:

Does anybody wanna be a weight loss buddy with me? Maybe, I need some encouragement to help me with this. I will be encouraging as well.

P.S
What are your healthy meal plans on a daily basis? (Ex. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack) Please share. Im in need of help! Thanks :)

fletch8502 07-28-2010 12:35 PM

Hello and welcome! You've found a great site...tracking what you eat is a great way to stay consistent. These forums are also a wonderful source for support!

I'm always up for new weight loss buddies! What are some of your goals? How much weight would you like to lose?

As for healthy meal plans, I usually eat 6 small meals throughout the day, but others do best with three meals and a snack. Overall, focus on lots of complex carbs (whole grains, fruits, vegetables), lean proteins, and healthy fats. Try to limit the amount of empty calories you eat, such as white bread, sugar, soda, etc.

Best of luck!

TimeToShedPounds 07-29-2010 02:06 AM

Hi Fletch,
Thanks for the welcome and thank you for your reply! :)

I would like to lose at least 40 pounds. I want to lose at least 2 pounds every week because I hear that is a healthy amount to lose every week. I would like to learn how to eat more healthy and eat nutrients that my body needs everyday. I'm still in the learning process of eating healthy. I don't know if I will really have the time to eat 6 meals a day due to working. Thank you for the tips. I will definitely use them. We should definitely be weight loss buddies! :) I think it would be cool!

fletch8502 07-29-2010 05:53 AM

You're welcome!

2 lbs per week is a great goal to have. Some weeks (especially at first and especially if you work out) it may be more than that, but some weeks it will be less, so an average of 2lbs per week is smart!

To eat healthy and eat nutrients your body needs, I've always liked the advice to stick to the perimeters of grocery store when shopping. That's where you typically find the fruits, vegetables, proteins, dairy products, etc. The aisles are where you find the processed foods that aren't as good for you (cookies, macaroni and cheese, sugar cereals, etc.).

How's it going so far? Do you have any questions or have you had any challenges yet?

I'm having a great day...I've eaten lots of fruits and vegetables and gotten in 45 minutes of cardio already. My struggles tend to be in the afternoon, when I want to snack and eat sweets and all of that! Trying to avoid sweets and snacks again this afternoon.

Have a great day!

crazycat0221 07-29-2010 06:08 AM

Hi all,
I'm just getting started again on my weight loss. I like using Fitday....I think it's really a big help. If anyone wants to be a weight loss friend...I could really use one. :)

crazycat0221 07-29-2010 08:49 AM

Fletch8502...you are doing so good on your weight loss. I just read what you last wrote here, and it really did inspire me to stick to my diet plan. I wish I would have started sooner. Seeing what you have lost in that amount of time gives me hope, because you have just proved it. :)

almeeker 07-29-2010 09:05 AM

Hey ladies, welcome aboard!!! Always good to have a new voice here. A 2lb loss this week would be a blessing. I've been at this since 12/26/09, but have been sliding more and more the last month or so. But last night (after I had a bout of midnight munchies that I caved in to) I vowed to "rededicate" myself to this journey and today I have been a model dieter. So count me in as a buddy I could use a few myself.

fletch8502 07-29-2010 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by crazycat0221 (Post 17135)
Fletch8502...you are doing so good on your weight loss. I just read what you last wrote here, and it really did inspire me to stick to my diet plan. I wish I would have started sooner. Seeing what you have lost in that amount of time gives me hope, because you have just proved it. :)

Aw, thank you so much!!!!! I'm so glad I can inspire you and give you hope. Weight loss and a healthy lifestyle is possible - you just have to set your mind to it!

almeeker - Slip ups are bound to happen a time or two, especially when you've been at it as long as you have been! The good thing is that you didn't let that slip up turn into a bad day today or a bad week...you stopped it in its tracks and now you're back on track! You go, girl! =)

TimeToShedPounds 07-30-2010 01:00 AM

Hey ALL! :D

@Fletch,
I am planning on starting on Monday. This weekend I am going to the grocery store to buy healthy foods. In the past I tried nutrisystem but it's pricey and I can't buy that every month. I definitely can say I lost while doing it. But, I want to start buying my own food and learning how to make my own healthy meals. I think I need to learn how to portion my meals. I don't wanna eat too much but at the same time I want don't want to still be hungry. I wanna be satisfied. I think my weakness is potato chips...I can eat a big bag on my own..oh my how I love them! Lol!!! I've recently became a big lover of sweet potato fries. They are yummy! lol ...I think I just need to learn how to portion everything. What are healthy fats?

@crazycat0221 and almeeker
Hey! Thanks for the the warm welcome! We all can be weight loss buddies! :) We can do this!!! Woohoo!!! How much are you guys planning on losing?

almeeker 07-30-2010 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by TimeToShedPounds (Post 17195)
Hey ALL! :D

@Fletch,
I am planning on starting on Monday. This weekend I am going to the grocery store to buy healthy foods. In the past I tried nutrisystem but it's pricey and I can't buy that every month. I definitely can say I lost while doing it. But, I want to start buying my own food and learning how to make my own healthy meals. I think I need to learn how to portion my meals. I don't wanna eat too much but at the same time I want don't want to still be hungry. I wanna be satisfied. I think my weakness is potato chips...I can eat a big bag on my own..oh my how I love them! Lol!!! I've recently became a big lover of sweet potato fries. They are yummy! lol ...I think I just need to learn how to portion everything. What are healthy fats?

@crazycat0221 and almeeker
Hey! Thanks for the the warm welcome! We all can be weight loss buddies! :) We can do this!!! Woohoo!!! How much are you guys planning on losing?

I need to lose another 25-35 pounds, goal weigh and all that is in my signature, I'm also quite quite short at just under 5'-2". I love love love potatoes too, sweet, russet, white, red, chipped, deep fried, baked, boiled, mashed - you name it, I LOVE them all. You might think they would be my biggest weakness, but my biggest problem is carbs of any kind - a lifetime spent eating waaayyy too many of them and not nearly enough protein to balance things out.

fletch8502 07-30-2010 05:45 AM

@Fletch,
For portion control, buy yourself a set of measuring cups and spoons and a food scale. Weigh and measure EVERYTHING you eat so that you can accurately record it in fit day. Check out nutrition labels on packaged foods - see what a serving size actually is! Even small bags or boxes can contain 2-3 servings.

It's okay to have a serving of sweet potato fries every now and then. If you don't, you'll end up bingeing on them later! Just make sure you eat ONE serving, count the calories, and eat lots of healthy things the rest of the day to go with it!

Foods to fill you up: lean sources of protein (turkey, skim milk, low fat cheese, etc.), fiber from fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and healthy fats. Stay away from things like simple carbs (white bread, sugar filled foods, white rice, etc.) because those won't fill you up and might even make you more hungry!

Speaking of healthy fats, those are unsaturated fats from things like olive oil, nuts, avocado, seeds, etc. For some information about healthy fats, check this out: UMIM: Healing Foods Pyramid - Healthy Fats | University of Michigan Health System

almeeker - re: carbs....PREACH, sista! =) I think I would live solely off carbs if I could. =)

On an unrelated note, I just spent a few hours helping to set up for the graduation party I'm going to tomorrow. It has the potention to be a complete diet disaster! Loooots of alcohol, good food, sweet treats, and snacks. I know all the things I should do (don't go hungry, fill up on fruits, vegetables, and healthy foods, drink in moderation, THINK before putting something in my mouth...), now I just need to DO all of that!

I'm off to the gym now for some preventative work. =)

almeeker 07-31-2010 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by fletch8502 (Post 17223)
almeeker - re: carbs....PREACH, sista! =) I think I would live solely off carbs if I could. =)

On an unrelated note, I just spent a few hours helping to set up for the graduation party I'm going to tomorrow. It has the potention to be a complete diet disaster! Loooots of alcohol, good food, sweet treats, and snacks. I know all the things I should do (don't go hungry, fill up on fruits, vegetables, and healthy foods, drink in moderation, THINK before putting something in my mouth...), now I just need to DO all of that!

I'm off to the gym now for some preventative work. =)

Carbs are my downfall, I HAVE lived solely on them for YEARS and YEARS, hence my need to be on a diet and lose like 125 pounds. Ugh.

I hear you on the planning. I went to a BBQ last night, for DH's office. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great either, I ended the day at 1900+ calories. Ugh! That's waaayy over my calorie budget, which just goes hand in hand with the upward calorie trend I've been on lately. Summer is soooo hard for me.

I'm totally cracking up over you referring to the gym as "preventative work", since I always think of it as "trying to burn off what I already ate work". Maybe your way is better, because I always feel like I'm never going to catch up to my appetite.

crazycat0221 07-31-2010 10:00 AM

I'm planning on losing about 55-60 lbs or so. One reason that FD works for me is ... you can't not be honest with it when filling it out; because if you do you will be defeating your self and your diet. I'm so amazed at how many cals, fat, and carbs is in everything. Much more then I used to believed before using FD. Once I'm able to get back to the gym I will really start to lose. Ya....Hoo! :)

fletch8502 08-01-2010 06:17 AM

I hear you on the planning. I went to a BBQ last night, for DH's office. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great either, I ended the day at 1900+ calories. Ugh! That's waaayy over my calorie budget, which just goes hand in hand with the upward calorie trend I've been on lately. Summer is soooo hard for me.

I'm totally cracking up over you referring to the gym as "preventative work", since I always think of it as "trying to burn off what I already ate work". Maybe your way is better, because I always feel like I'm never going to catch up to my appetite.
I did soooo well when I first got to the party and during dinner. I mean, awesome. But then I ate one Swedish Fish from the bowls that were on EVERY table, and it was so good and I ate way more than I intended! Then there was chocolate covered pretzels and popcorn and...yeah... But I put everything into FitDay and ended up around 2,000 calories as well.

I have another party today, so I'm hoping to do better!

Preventative gym work is a good thing! I recommend trying it sometime. =) I'm glad I did that, too, because I tripped over a tent cable (I was totally sober, too!) and landed on my hands and knees on the concrete. Now my knee is scraped up, swollen, and sore. No gym for me today. Boo.

I'm planning on losing about 55-60 lbs or so. One reason that FD works for me is ... you can't not be honest with it when filling it out; because if you do you will be defeating your self and your diet. I'm so amazed at how many cals, fat, and carbs is in everything. Much more then I used to believed before using FD. Once I'm able to get back to the gym I will really start to lose. Ya....Hoo!
You can do it! You're right about just defeating yourself if you're not honest. Be honest, eat well, and exercise, and those 55-60 lbs will come off no problem!

Best of luck. =)

TimeToShedPounds 08-02-2010 10:34 AM

Wow now, that may explain why I was so hungry when I ate broccoli and white rice. I thought something was wrong with me because it happened more than once but I had no idea carbs could make you more hungry! Wow! Thanks for sharing that info along with all the other tips you gave! I need to get me a food scale because I have measuring cups and measuring spoons. I'm definitely going to use those tips and check out that link! Thanks again!

Here is my email my fellow weight loss buddies: [email protected]

Just a way for us to keep in touch and up to date with one another.

:):):):)

Deliliz 08-08-2010 09:39 AM

New here and need help!!

Hi all, I just started a new weightloss program with a group from work and realized i need help with positive feedback to keep me on the right track, and I stumbled on this site.
My goal is to lose 80lbs. I have already given up soda (now drinking only water), i have drank Mt.Dew for the last 10+yrs on a daily basis..giving this up was very hard , sweets, pastries, pasta, most breads and I have started excecising every day.
It has been 1 week and I have gained 2 lbs.
Im trying to find out if this is normal to gain a few pounds before it sheds due to all the water or am i just destined to be a plus size woman for the rest of my life.

zinal 08-08-2010 11:51 AM

We all need help, so welcome to all here. Anyone can feel free to add me to their friend's list.
---------------
Starting weight : 198lbs (6-20-10)
Current weight : 187.4 lbs (8-5-10)
Mini goal weight: 175 lbs (8-24-10)
GOAL WEIGHT : 120-130 lbs (12-20-10)

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ml?Owner=zinal

jespar30 08-10-2010 05:06 AM

Here are the things that are working for me:

-avoiding carbs like sweets, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, and corn
-drinking water, tea (plain no sugar), or lime-flavored mineral water
-eating as much protein as possible
-fruits, veggies, and bringing my food to work
-no eating after dinner (7pm)

Saturday is my "cheat" day. That doesn't mean pig out, just that I might eat out at a restaurant or eat things I don't during the week (see first bullet point). I still try to use good portion control. If I have a nice meal at a restaurant, I might have one cocktail.

A typical weekday looks like this:
7:00am 2 eggs + sauteed veggie or oatmeal w/ fruit or cereal
9:30 Yogurt
11:30-12:30 Salad w/ lots of veggies + tuna or other meat + frozen veggies and canned beans sometimes
2:00 Berries/cherries or other fruit
4:30 Plum or peach other other fruit
6:30-7 Meat with veggie or something else sensible

I'm never hungry except before breakfast.