Notices

Very frustrated, need some help

Old 07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
FitDay Member

Default Very frustrated, need some help

I'm new to the forums, but I'm not new to weight loss. I'm twenty-one and I've managed to lose a lot of weight on my own -- I've gone from 190 down to 115 (I'm 5'4"), size 15/16 to size 3/4. The thing is, though, I seem to have an abnormally large amount of fat on my stomach. I'm not a fat person, obviously, but I have a good two inches or so where my stomach just sort of sticks out and hangs over the rest of my body -- literally. That's the best way for me to describe it. It's rather embarrassing for me, but I'll take a picture if absolutely necessary to illustrate my point.

Nobody notices, because it's hidden under my clothes, but it really bothers me. I feel like I've been doing everything right, but nothing seems to affect that area. I actually find it so weird that I would have so much fat in one spot, considering other parts of me are ridiculously bony.

I guess it would be helpful for me to share my exercise and 'diet' (I use that term loosely, since I hate diets) background with you lot. I exercise five days a week, taking two days off for active rest. When working out, every other day I weight lift (heavy weights, not barbie weights) and follow it up with cardio. The cardio I do after, as well as the cardio I do on my non-weight training days, is comprised of interval training programs that I found on a website called Bodyrock.tv. Basically, they're short, intense bodyweight and cardio moves. I also go for the occasional jog.

As far as nutrition goes, I don't count how many calories I eat everyday (I did that for awhile and it nearly became an obsession), but when I DO check, it's around 1500-1800. I drink a home-made protein shake after each workout, which includes 1/4 cup of egg whites, 1 cup of skim milk, 1 small banana, and 2 tbsp. of all-natural peanut butter (I don't buy protein powders, but this works out to about 25 grams per serving). I eat about 8 servings of veggies a day, 2 or 3 servings of fruit, 1 serving of whole grains, lots of lean protein (chicken, turkey, extra lean ground beef, cottage cheese, eggs...you get the picture), and a small amount of healthy fat. I don't try to avoid fat, by any means, but it just never seems to play as big a role as other macronutrients.

Basically, I feel like I'm doing everything right and nothing seems to make this stubborn area budge. Does anyone here have any ideas?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 AM
FitDay Member

At 115# 5'4", I am wondering if it is loose skin and you just need time for the skin to shrink. With the weight loss you mentioned, that very well could be it.

By the way, kudos on the weight loss.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:31 AM
FitDay Member

Boy do I hear you on this one. I've lost about 90 pounds, and I swear my stomach has never looked stranger, it's practically a dulap. Ugh. I'm thinking about getting some sort of DVD ab workout. I have a couple of really good workout DVD's, but none are specifically just for abs. I keep thinking that if I could build up the muscle tone in that region it would look better.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

Congratulations on the weight loss! That's awesome!!! It sounds like you have a really healthy lifestyle going. You could be a role model for all of us to look up to!

I'm no expert, but I would have to agree that it sounds like more of an excess skin problem than a fat problem. Do you do ab exercises? Tightening your abs and obliques might help. You might also want to try some of the lotions that are marketed for cellulite reduction. Even though you probably don't have cellulite, it might help. I use them every day as directed, and after several weeks, I really do see tighter skin.

It's understandable that you're frustrated, but don't forget how far you've come! Keep up the awesome work!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:27 AM
FitDay Member

Hi guys,

I just wanted to throw out an ab workout that I have been using. I found the video on youtube, and it's only about 6 minutes long, but really helps tighten your stomach. Just thought I'd throw it out there, since "free" is always nice

P.S. A quick note - this video is old, so you should tweak some of the exercises a bit:
1. Don't put your elbows forward when doing crunches - keep them in line with your head.
2. Don't put your chin to your chest - rather pretend to be holding a tenis ball between your chin and chest at all times.

Hope this helps:

YouTube - Jane Fonda - Abs (New Workout)
Old 07-26-2010, 11:13 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I know I've come a long way, and I think I need to constantly remind myself of that in order to not get too bummed out about the little things.

Regarding the loose skin, I don't think that's what's going on here. I mean, I have a very small amount, but not that much. The loose skin is very thin and easy for me to pinch between my fingers (it's literally paper-thin), but everything else is very squishy and is denser than that. I do a lot of core training, and I can actually feel a six-pack under the fat. I'd like to be able to see some of that definition, if I could.