Community
Notices

Hello any one else over 40 here?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wingzfan
hi

i turned 50 in february. i am trying to lose 17 lbs by my nephews wedding in september. so far i have lost 8 since july 1st. now i am just STUCKKKK and cant seem to lose any more. i jog 30 minutes daily on the treadmill, and lift weights daily. i truly beleive my metabolism is messed up because i am perimenopausal. i am trying to eat 1400 calories a day but perhaps this is too much?( i am following fitday guidelines for caloric count) any suggestions on how to get over this hump!!!?
LOLlok so I dont know how to multi quote in one post
if your lifting daily then 1400 prob isnt enough. What kind of treadmill do you do...steady state, or HIIT
The program I am on right now for my body weight (140)
non weight lifting days 1200 cals
lifting days 1600 cals.

post an average day of meals and workouts and we can see what to tweek to shake it up for ya. that is if ya want.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah I'm stuck too. 3.5 mile a day outside, up and down hills in under an hour. Just can't seem to get below 130. And I'm so careful about my calories! Frustrating!! I'm going tostart adding some weights and walking again in the evening. I'm also bloating cuz I'm getting my period. Sounds like this rollercoaster could be going on for quite some time!! Beginning of menopause and still dealing with the other crap. I'm just glad my kids are grown, moved out and self sufficiant!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 PM
FitDay Member

I'll be 45 in a few months, and have really been struggling. It used to take no time at all to lose a few pounds, but now it's hard work! I lost 7 pounds since 6/19, went out to dinner last night, and weighed 3 pounds more this morning (due to sodium, I'm sure); The way that scale can jump up is frustrating! And waking up too early every day, my fingers swollen like sausages...ugh.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

Good ole water retention. I take an OTC water pill every day and always before I eat out.
Just got my period last nite( you'd think at 50 it could JUST BE OVER!!) The older I get the worse it gets. 3lbs more just because of bloat. So frustrating!
Couple of days and I might be able to be around people again without committing murder and mayhem.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

lol yea we need an off switch for periods....not having more kids dont need em...and the are so irregular now too...17 days between the last one. *sigh* gotta love them women issues....

I swear the last 10 yrs has been a roller coaster weigh wise. I wanna back like my 20's and even 30's where no matter what i did unless i was preggo i struggled to stay over 105 lbs *sigh* now is the payback i guess.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 AM
FitDay Member

I have been on a low calorie diet for the past month. I have only lost 8 lbs!!. This is a little frustrating because I went from being a couch potato to working out 3 times a week for 2 hours (1 hr. of weights, 1 hr. cardio). What am I doing wrong. I keep my calories 1000-1300 and really watch what I eat. I lost 50lbs a few years ago doing the low carb diet, but my husband is really against this. He thinks it is too unhealthy, so I have done the low calorie diet this time. I am thinking about going to the low carb diet again. Any thoughts on which way would be better or has anyone had luck on a certain diet. I really need to lose 15 lbs in the next month so I can get into my work clothes before I go back to work. Thanks for any help with this.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I personally am doing the low carb. And I mean really low carb. I speed walk 3.5 miles every day and keep my total calories under 1200. Is is not so pleasant? YES. But it is working.

Actually 8 lbs in a month is not bad for "our" age . The fight against our metabolism is a real struggle!

Celisa, I'm with you. Except for when I was pregnant, I had no trouble stayin between 100 and 110 tops! Periods may be irregular but for me they are getting heavier with more cloating and cramps. I'm really debating spending the money on Essure procedure or not.

Zinal, the only thing I can suggest is that you work out more than 3 times a week. Maybe that will help.

Happy day everyone!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:19 AM
FitDay Member

Well guess I am the old timer here at 61. Sigh. I have had low thyroid and was on meds for well over 20 years. I stopped taking that in 2005 just because I got tired of being dependent on it. My metabolism did seem to slow down about 40 and again when I stopped smoking at 50. Not really dieting as I do not want to ever have to go off of such. So just trying to be more aware of what I am eating. Trying to keep honest by posting it all on Fitday and sometimes just thinking if I eat this or that I have to go post it stops me from munching.I am not over exercising either. Just walking and I lead an active lifestyle in the yard and house.

Maggie
Old 07-24-2010, 11:07 PM
FitDay Member

Default 45 Here! Trying to eat under 1000 calories/day ughhh

I would like to join the over 40 ladies! pre-meanapausal or whatever

You may say only 1000 calories! - but I figure my metabolism is dead. I gain when I try to maintain 1000 -1200 range because my weekends get up to about 1500-1800 sometimes on a cheat day.

Last summer I worked out vigorously 6-8 hours a week cardio and lifting and finally noticed my butt, stomach and leggs getting smaller when I reduced cal's to 600-800 / day during week plus cheat a little on weekends. Had to quit working out due to hurt neck/shoulder.

Currently I am doing a strenuous weightlifting routine every 3 - 4 days or minimum twice a week. I can't get away anymore than that till kids go back to school.

I just starting tracking my cals again, looking forward to loosing this belly cheese!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wingzfan
hi

i turned 50 in february. i am trying to lose 17 lbs by my nephews wedding in september. so far i have lost 8 since july 1st. now i am just STUCKKKK and cant seem to lose any more. i jog 30 minutes daily on the treadmill, and lift weights daily. i truly beleive my metabolism is messed up because i am perimenopausal. i am trying to eat 1400 calories a day but perhaps this is too much?( i am following fitday guidelines for caloric count) any suggestions on how to get over this hump!!!?
I'm going to be 50 in a few months also. I tried for months and months last year to lose on 1400-1500 a day, working out 6 days a week, and the scale barely budged. I dropped it down to 1200 this year, and added in a lot more weightlifting, and have lost about a half pound per week. Sounds excruciatingly slow but it has added up to two clothing sizes and to feeling a lot better inside this body.

It is harder when we are older, but you can push past metabolism. It just takes longer, which means it takes more patience and determination. I also had to swallow my pride and get real about my calories. I sit at a desk most of the day so I really don't need more than what my body can obviously handle. My trainer told me "1250" a year ago and I immediately said NO WAY!! Well, she was right. I have always tended to be on the heavy side, so I don't have a fast metabolism. I had to face that fact.

I'm down from 161.5 to 140, taking a break in July and just on maintenance, ramping back up again in August to hopefully get rid of another 10-15 lbs. I've never been tiny, so I'm actually pretty happy to be where I am - I weighed 135 at high school graduation - but I see the health problems my family is dealing with now because of poor health choices and I'm doing my best to make sure I don't end up in the same boat.

Hang in there!!! NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.