Notices

Carb-Aholics

Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 25Less
*bowing head in shame* I, too, am a carboholic. I am here to read about ways to wean myself from carbs slowly. Don't get me started on my chocolate issue. Brownies, ice cream, Hershey w/Almond (dark chocolate) candy bar, etc., etc., etc.

There ain't no shame in being a carbaholic, you is what you is... The key is to be able to identify when carbs are controlling you and be able to nip it in the bud. I have really bad chocolate issues too, a genetic condition I think, which I got from my mother. She actually has a collection of t-shirts printed with rude rants about not having enough chocolate in her system, like "give me all your chocolate and nobody gets hurt" (complete with graphics of a 38-special), "can be bribed with chocolate", "the key to happiness is to start each day with a smile and a chocolate bar (smile optional)". You get the idea. To help with the chocolate issues I sometimes resort to eating chocolate protein bars. It curbs the cravings and boosts my proteins up. I also quite like Chocolate Special K, very nice breakfast or snack option for PMS.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 AM
FitDay Member

LOL @ you and your mom. Too funny! I remember reading about chocolate being a vegetable.

To soothe my chocolate cravings (when I don't totally give in), I eat a granola bar. Quaker has the chewy chocolate chip ones and two new flavors: chocolate mint chip and chocolate swirl chip. They are only 90 calories each! My new best chocolate friend snacks! Nature Valley has a new variety of granola bars as well: Dark Chocolate - only 90 calories per bar. It's sooooooooo good, it's like eating a healthy candy bar. LOL!!!

I eat almost every brand of chocolate (and strawberry) cereal known to mankind. Chocolate Chex is great and I loved Chocolate (and Strawberry Blasted) Honeycomb, but Post stopped making them. Haters! I need to try chocolate Cheeries soon. I'm aware that I may have issues.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 AM
FitDay Member

This is great timing. Yes, my name is Michelle and I am a carb-aholic.

I have been on a binge today. I am hoping to avoid carbs for dinner. I basically ate no actual meals, today. I snacked on these blueberry mini wheats that I love and have been avoiding and yes, I am sorry but I had quite a bit of crunch n munch. The only good "protein-ey" snack I had was a bunch of almonds. Ugh. I have been doing so well, lately, keeping my carbs around 30 to 40 and my proteins at around 30 or above and I just CRASHED and BURNED.

Tomorrow is another day. Oh and as for tips to keep the carbs lower, most have been mentioned. I have been eating tuna on spring mix lettuce with some asian ginger dressing. It tastes really good and is filling. It is VERY hard not to eat crackers with them. I always want that crunch along with my salad and I'm not talking about carrots. Cheese and hummus are such a delicacy to me, even without crackers but the calories add up FAST.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:35 PM
FitDay Member

I must say ladies, that yesterday I had a carb-attack. I ended up unexpectedly driving all day with nothing in my car with me except for an adorable puppy named Stegosaurus and a few bananas. I was seriously considering cannibalism and salivating at the idea when I reached my destination! So I fell on pizza. v_V And not even one of y'all's tasty alternatives either!

Though I did get to try something there that peaked my interest because it satisfied my "After-dinner-must-have-chocolate-NOW" craving! It was something called Diana's Bananas or something similar and it was a frozen banana covered in dark chocolate. I'm not big on bananas, so it kept me from eating my friends out of house and home!

I love hummus but the shear amount of fat in it turns my stomach nowadays. Do you ladies know anything that would serve as a just-as-tasty alternative?

Oh my goodness 25Less, I totally understand! I've had strawberry cravings so badly lately that while ordering pizza for some friends I even put in the delivery instructions: "Fresh Strawberries = Great Tip"! Though today I just decided to try to satisfy my craving and picked up 3 containers of those wonderful berries~

Oh! One last thing! As far as chocolate goes: I've found that the Fifty-50 milk chocolate bars are not that bad for you because they are designed for diabetics. Though I feel you guys on the chocolate front, if it has chocolate on it, I will probably be tempted to want to put it in my mouth!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 AM
FitDay Member

Hi my name is Rose and I am a carbaholic. I was doing really great... really really great. I have been exercising and basically avoiding my biggest weakness: SUGAR! I love sweets. I can't help it. I was born this way and my whole family loves sweets so I never stood a chance. If you ever attended one of our big family dinners growing up, you would see 25-30 Italians at a table loaded with carbs, then pouncing on the dessert at the end of the meal. I think I read somewhere that Italy is the carb capitol of the world. So really, what chance did I have?

Anyway, on Thursday it was my friend's birthday and I happen to sit next to a saboteur. One of my high school friends (although I love her dearly) is a very bad influence! She kept pouring rosé in my glass and once I was a little tipsy, bang! She hit me with a red velvet cupcake! She insisted I have one, I resisted at first and then lost the battle and caved in. Well I spent the whole day yesterday beating myself up for having had not one but 4 glasses of rosé and a red velvet cupcake.

Today I realize that I must practice what I preach. If one of you dear Fitday members came here to admit to such a trasgression, I would say, "Just put it behind you and move forward. All is not lost. The trick is getting back on track... yadda yadda yadda." So that is what I will do. What's done is done. I am putting my running shoes on now and going out for a run. Wish me luck, Everyone and thanks for sharing all of your stories of carbaholism. It does feel comforting to know I am not the only one tempted by those evil but delicious carbs. Why can't carrots be just as tempting?

Last edited by mtlgirl; 07-17-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

I LOL'd at your post, Rose; I can just picture it! My husband's mom's Italian and holidays are always pasta, pasta, pasta!

You are right, though, you gotta move on. When you got up and logged in today, FitDay was completely blank, right? Brand new day; fill it with the good stuff . I love that blank slate in the mornings! You will do fine!

My biggest enemies are things like pretzels, crackers, and potatoes, as opposed to the sweet stuff...although part of our upcoming vacation involves a day at Hershey Park and the chocolate (and the smell) will be everywhere. Really should start thinking about a plan for that one...
Old 07-17-2010, 01:27 AM
FitDay Member

My long term plan to stay on track once I reach goal weight is to treat my diet like a day job. M-F I'll be on plan, SS I'll be more relaxed about it. Well um, yesterday I was totally on track through lunch, water, workout, calories, everything. Then DH and I went out to dinner and got the 2 for $20 at Applebee's. Normally my DD and I get that and the whole family splits the appetizer, but the kids are with my folks this weekend, so DH and I split the platter o'buffalo wings. When I got home I found out that dish contains 1170 calories, which I ATE 1/2 of, right before I downed the 550 steak dinner, 2 raspberry ice teas and a pair of strawberry daiquiris. Caloric grand total about 1,500, for dinner alone! So maybe I'll have to change my long term plan to start Friday night, and carry through only until Sunday brunch, but by Sunday night I MUST back in the saddle. Geez. The worst part is that the steak dinner was entirely too salty, and I ate nearly the whole thing anyway. I sometimes feel like this diet business would be a whole lot easier if I could just get fitted with a muzzle. Just imagine how funny that infomercial would be. Order now and get a second custom muzzle in your choice of designer colors absolutely FREE, plus additional shipping, makes a great gift.

Last edited by almeeker; 07-17-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 AM
FitDay Member

LOL @ you and your mom. Too funny! I remember reading about chocolate being a vegetable.
Where did you see a shirt like that? My mother would LOVE it!

I'm aware that I may have issues.
You think? At least you're aware of the possibility, it took me years to see it in myself.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:35 AM
FitDay Member

@mhibdon: You asked about a lower fat option for hummus...I made a great bean dip yesterday that basically consists of a can of black beans (about 15-16 oz) blended with a half a cup of salsa. I added a few green chilis to spice it up a little and some fresh squeezed limes for freshness, but it was so simple and tastes delicious. The problem with hummus is the tahini (sesame paste) put into it. You could try makin flavored hummus (like the roasted red pepper) without the tahini. Sometimes I forget to put it in and can't even notice the difference. Then it's just beans, garlic, red peppers, lemon juice, and some spices.

Likewise for the bean dip...the beans have lots of fiber and a little protein and salsa is very low calorie as well. It could probably be thickened with a little fat free cream cheese or sour cream if you want to make it creamier. I eat it with celery, or any other veggies I like and ditch the chips/crackers.

Hope that gives you an alternative!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hummus

mhibdon,

I have a yummy hummus recipe (it's actually called Yummy Hummus in our cookbook) that I make for my hubby and I. We really enjoy it.

1 cup chickpeas
2 cloves fresh garlic
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp orange juice (fresh squeezed)
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cumin
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)

Put all the ingredients in a blender or mini food processor and puree until smooth. (2 tbsp= 65 cal, 3.6g fat, 6.3g carb, and 1.9 g protein)

It makes a good amount so you'll have enough for the week.

Amber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.