Notices

Frustrated with baby weight

Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Frustrated with baby weight

I had a baby girl april 13th of this year..i had gained 40 pds during pregnancy and amazingly enough lost 21 pds with barely doing a thing....now I am stuck in a rut and i feel like I am adding pds in places that just make me go blah...I cant even stand to look in the mirror and i find myself trying to find clothes that fit and also flatter what I have...Im stuck in a rut...I want to lose the rest of this baby weight but I dont ever seem to have the time to exercise. I am a single mother and the father is not involved so it makes it kind of hard I thought I could try counting calories and exercise but my mind gets so boggled I forget to even look at what im eatting...any suggestions?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:17 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your new baby! You really do have it tough. I found/find it tough and I do have a partner to share the responsibility with! The mommy brain that you mentioned doesn't really ever go away, so you have to find away around it. I schedule everything in. You will get used to what you have to do, it will just take a while and you will need to take small steps.

Do you have only 1 child? If you do, you can put her in a carrier/wrap/sling and go for a walk. You can dance with her, do baby yoga, even sqats and lunges are great with a baby, and you can interact while doing those things! Start by doing 10 minutes, then see if you can fit in 20 or 30.

Do you work? Can you fit in a walk at work?

I found the single best thing for eating properly is tracking what I eat (I know the time is an issue). If I see that I ate 3000 calories today and I should have eaten 1800, I know I need to fix something. At work I try to take prepackaged healthier meals so I know how many calories I'm eating without tracking, I also do a weekly meal plan for supper, mostly because we have to have dinner on the table so my 2 young kids can be in bed by 6 and I get home by 5. I only have healthy snacks with me when I'm out so I don't buy chips (granola bars, apples, etc).

Take it easy at first. Your body has been through a lot in the last little while and it will be changing for a while to come. It took 9 months to put on the extra weight so it could take that long for it to come off too...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

My son is 2 and my belly still isn't where I want it to be. It's hard but you have to give yourself time. Nobody tells us to expect to stay in maternity clothes for 6 months after the birth, but most of us end up having to do just that. Eat healthy, plan your meals ahead, and exercise when you can. Don't sacrifice any more sleep than you have to, when you're caring for a little one and have to get up in the middle of the night every night, that contributes a LOT to "mommy brain" and stubborn belly fat.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:28 PM
FitDay Member

Lov,

I feel your pain. I'm a single mom of 3 and 2 are disabled. I have no help either. Not even from my family. I know how hard it is.

The only thing I can tell you is try to eat healthy. Buy only healthy snacks that you can grab and eat while dealing with a new baby. You also need to exercise. You don't have to go to a fancy gym or anything. When my kids take a nap I start cleaning the house (sweeping, mopping, dusting, etc.) in a fast pace. You'll start sweating believe me. While doing your normal chores you'll get a workout. It doesn't have to be everyday either. At least 3 times a week. You could clean once a week and take an hour walk twice a week. Put baby in a stroller, comfy shoes, plenty of water and you'll be alright. Don't worry if you skip a week or two. I've done that plenty of times. I, myself, am a slow work in progress. I've lost 16 pounds in almost 2 months. The little things count. Please don't get down on yourself. You have a beautiful little girl and that alone should put a smile on your face. The rest will come naturally with a little practice and self discipline.

Good luck. I hope I helped.

Last edited by vickytoria3112; 06-18-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

I'm so glad to see this thread! I joined FitDay yesterday because I have baby weight to lose. I had my daughter May 19th and lost about 25 pounds with delivery and body adjustments in the first two weeks. I've only lost 4 pounds since then. My body is slowly shrinking but I can't fit into most of my normal clothes. I go back to work in a month so I'm trying to workout as much as possible and eat healthy. It is hard with a new baby!