FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Is there a 10-20lb club (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1505-there-10-20lb-club.html)

circuitmom 07-11-2010 03:06 AM

Is there a 10-20lb club

I was looking for a club for newbies or something to just keep myself accountable.. I'm trying to lose 20lbs.. I've been on a roller coaster for the last seven years.. I started at 150 then went to 200 with my pregnancy, it took me a year to get that off then I got pregnant again and went back up to 200.. I'm now at 143 and I'd like to weigh about 120-125, that is in the healthy zone for my height..

I saw on some of the other forums that they have a weekly weigh in, that would be awesome too...

I was doing some strength training classes and Zumba, but now I walk outside with my kids, I like to exercise, but my diet is out of control, I'm looking forward to my new journey to feeling better about myself and eating right so that my family can eat right too..

Have a great weekend!

nottango 07-11-2010 03:18 AM

I'll join! I began 6/21 at 154# and am down to 150#. Goal 135# by 11/11. Looks like you get to be moderator...pick a weigh-in day!

circuitmom 07-11-2010 03:33 AM

Awesome!! I'm really excited about joining this forum, I never used the forum before and I've had an account with fitday for almost 5 yrs.. This will really help me stay accountable..

Will a Sunday Weigh in work?

nottango 07-11-2010 11:39 AM

Sunday's good - it'll keep us from going crazy Fridays and Saturdays, which are much more of a challenge for me than the rest of the week.
Where is everyone from? I'm in IL (USA).
Canary - same thing happened to me last year - gained while on vacation (and 2 pounds in 2 days this yr over July 4th wkend). Don't panic. You'll see your weight will go back down within a few days of eating well. I think I've gotten a LOT more sensitive to salt than I used to be, which plays a big factor for me. I'll be 45 in Nov.

circuitmom 07-11-2010 04:03 PM

My biggest draw back is night time, I do pretty good during the day with my diet and then at night I seem to get really hungry, I used to try and walk in the evenings and I haven't been doing that instead I walk with my kids in the morning..

Salt is a huge thing for me too, we eat out a lot on the weekends and I know everything is loaded with salt. I'm going to try and cut out one day of eating out on the weekends and still have a free day, I get so sick of cooking sometimes..

Well~ since it's Sunday my weigh in is 142.4

circuitmom 07-11-2010 05:27 PM

Hey that's a great start.. I would love to be at 138!!

I tried to take my kids for a walk this morning, but it has been raining off and on, we have made one trip in the car to our walking spot and got poured on, so I'm going to try for later...

What kind of exercise/diet is everyone doing?

I've been trying to just add in more fruit and veggies, and cut out a lot of the junk food, but it is sooo hard with little ones, I used to just keep the food out of the house and if I really really wanted it I would have to go and get it, but now we have those fun snack foods all the time..:o

I was taking some Zumba classes and it's getting pretty expensive, and I have a membership at the gym, but my son isn't always thrilled about going, but we have been walking once sometimes twice a day, just depends.. I think I'm going to start doing my exercise videos again too..

nottango 07-11-2010 08:13 PM

I have 2 little ones ( 5 1/2 and almost 8). I have tried very hard to hide my "food issues" from them - with great success so far. I don't buy a lot of junky stuff. I make them try new things, but don't force them to eat. They're both slim. When we're on vacation, though - anything goes. On vacation, I let them have whatever, and as much as they want. When we're in the grocery store and they're asking for junk, I say - yeah, next time we're on vacation we'll have to try those...and it works.

circuitmom 07-12-2010 02:07 AM

@nottango~ I like the idea of having the kids wait to eat junk food until vacation.. I will have to try that, this time when we went to the store I told them we have to start making healthy choices and they really tried to help me find good things, my daughter is 3.5 and she really got into it.. She picked out strawberries and apples and my son is 6 he found all the other items on our healthy list..

@canary52 I couldn't agree more with you!! Move more and Eat less.. You sound like me, I too gain sometimes when I'm really exercising, I can't control my eating then, especially if I'm lifting.. I know some of it's muscle, but the only problem for me is not being able to fit back into my pants..
I hate that feeling, and that's where I am right now..

I figured if I focus on eating clean and walking or doing more cardio, I will get where I need to be, this site is going to be great for me, b/c it's making me aware of my short falls, normally I was eating right about now, but now I'm replacing that temptation with typing on this forum..

I'm ready now!! I'm going to quit making excuses and make today better than yesterday, one small step at a time..

Thanks for the support!!

ropedancer 07-12-2010 01:48 PM

Hello. I'd love to be able to join the 10-20 pound club. I've been using fitday for a couple weeks, but haven't been as committed as I should. My current weight is 142 (considered unhealthy for my height) and I'd love to get it down to 122 (which is well in the health range).

It's interesting how circuitmom mentioned getting hungry at night, as I have the exact same issue. I'll be perfectly fine until about 8PM and then I'm craving carbs. Another issue I have is restaurants. I love to eat out, and end up doing it at least once a week. It seems like with a lot of restaurants, even their salads aren't that good for you.

As for food, I'm trying to cut out all the junk (I'm a sweetaholic) and focus more on protein, fruits, veggies and whole grains. I'm also trying to exercise in the morning. This can be tricky as my schedule is not usually the same from week to week (I'm finishing up an internship from my masters and try to make myself available when it's most convenient to my site supervisor, not necessarily for me), but I've been getting better at it recently.

circuitmom 07-12-2010 04:03 PM

Hi Ropedancer~
Glad you are here.. We are all just starting and I know in the few days I've been here, it has been great for me. I look forward to seeing the new posts and it has given me a recharge for looking at health and fitness in a new light again.
I know how hard it can get with working on an internship, it is really hard when you are at their mercy, that would make it hard to plan for anything.. Sounds like you are doing great though..

Canary52~ It seems like when we want something so strongly for our family, they fight us even harder.. It is something I have been praying for in my family, to get back on track..
I can't speak out of experience for teenagers b/c my kids are only 6 and 3.5, but I'm learning sometimes we can only let go and let God take over..

You are setting a good example and doing all the right things, now it's just a matter of time..

I think the hardest job I have ever had is being a parent, I love it, but at times I am challenged beyond words.. Kids are smart..

I have been reading a book on "Becoming a Better You" One of the things that it left me with thinking last night was this quote.
~ " Don't talk about the way you are, talk about the way you want to be."

dedicatedtohealth 07-12-2010 07:46 PM

Joining the 10-20lb club

Hi ladies!

I've been using FitDay almost consistently since Jan but when I stop monitoring my food, I bounce back to my original weight. Losing 20lbs would be ideal for me and I need this forum for support and accountability. I started walking my dog a lot recently, about 4 miles on the weekends, and I try to take her out twice during the workweek for about 3 miles daily. I have Multiple Sclerosis so my energy level pretty much dissipates at around 4pm (fatigue) and I have to be careful in the heat. I've been weighing in every Sunday since early June and keeping track on a spreadsheet but I'm not losing as much as I'd like. I had cut my calories to 1620 and lost only 1 lb. Anyway, I missed weigh in yesterday but it was 155lbs. My issue is not burning calories as much as I should. My only exercise at the moment is walking my dog daily but I know I need to ramp it up. I started a zig-zag calorie plan starting today (fluctuates between 1240 and 1752 during a week) so I hope this works. Sorry about the rambling! I'm all over the place! :o

circuitmom 07-12-2010 07:56 PM

A flea's nostril, I love that..

I'm glad you got to work-out with your daughter, I long for the days when mine will work out with me, I bet it's like having a best friend there....

Sounds like we are all pressing with some sort of deadline. I have a test coming up next week, they call it the Praxis, but I call it the devil, I've tried to pass this thing like 5 times already, I'm not giving up. I'm pressing forward..
This is the first time that I have nothing else going on and can study for it, before I was either working, or going to school studying for tons of other tests. Now when I can't sleep at night or when the kids nap, I take advantage of the study time.. I finished school 4 years ago and it took me 6 years to get a 4 year degree, but in the middle of all that I started a family too..

I will keep on, keeping on..

Good luck to everyone on all that they have to do!

Welcome~ Dedicatedtohealth glad you are here..

ropedancer 07-12-2010 08:25 PM

Canary52- moderation is everything, and something that I struggle with. For me, it's hard not to eat the whole bag of candy at once. One thing I've found that works okay is for me is Jello instant chocolate pudding. So far I haven't been tempted to binge there, probably because I prepare them in little teacups. If I eat all four servings at once, then I have to wash them at once.

Circuitmom- Aaah the Praxis. I knew quite a few education majors while going for my undergrad and I remember how stressed out they used to get. I know someone that had to take it quite a few times to (she struggled with Math) but eventually got it. I just took a big comprehensive exam on Saturday. Didn't sleep a wink the night before I was so worried! Good luck on your test. I can only imagine how time consuming it is to get a degree while raising little ones.

circuitmom 07-15-2010 03:20 AM

Hope everyone is having a great week..

nottango 07-15-2010 12:09 PM

I checked it out too, but have been very happy with this site. Can't teach an old dog...
I have had a stressful week at work - too nervous to eat there, and too depressed to eat later, so it's been a great week calorie-wise. I have a puppy who wont let me even consider skipping the morning jog/walk. I'm feeling much more fit than a month ago!

circuitmom 07-17-2010 04:03 PM

This week has been a little busy, my Aunt has had some health issues, next was my husbands grandfather.. I've been taking both of them back and forth to the hospital and Doctor's appointments.. I didn't get in one day of exercise, I was eating pretty good for the week, but had a splurge day for my B-day last night.. My test is this Saturday, I'm going to study a little at a time, and just do the best I can.. I'm not going to put the added stress on myself...

Weigh in 140.8

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.. I'm going to enjoy some time with my family and relax!!:)

peanutbutter123 07-17-2010 11:37 PM

what percentage?

Does anyone here know what is a healthy percentage of carb/fats/protein? I've been tracking my cals for 3 days now and today I am at 41% fats 41% carbs and %18 protein. I am only eating fruits, raw veges, whole grains, eggs ect. no processed food no processed sugar no white flour.

Anyway I've been doing very good as far as calorie intake. This is my 6th day of dieting but I've only tracked it for 3. I havent weighed myself yet but i know Ive lost at Least 3 lbs. I can already see it in my face. I wanted to get a week under my belt before I started weighing. I just did not want to see those #'s, hoping that I wont be too freaked out when I weigh in today or tomorrow. I'm guessing that I probably weighed 185-189 when I started and I want to get down to 170. If that goes well then maybe in the 160's. but I'd be thrilled with 170.
Thanks for everybodys input, i am so glad to have this forum. I know my family is sick of hearing me talk about calories and food. I really get into it because it seems like you have to. I mean I think about everything I eat 4-5 times a day and plan. It's almost obsessive but challenging and fun to see results!

nottango 07-18-2010 11:29 AM

Okay, It's Sunday morning and I just got back from my jog. Weight 148#. Lost 2# this week. Would rather be a little fatter and less stressed, but I'll take it!
Circuitmom; good luck on your test!
PeanutButter: The best percentage of Carb/fat/protein is whatever works best for you, and what your goals are. I prefer to do aerobic activities, and function best at ~50% carb, 30% fat and 20% protein. Some people do Atkins-like diets, which are extremely low carb (but honeslty everyone I now who's lost weight that way has gained it back, and then some). Weight lifters seem to prefer a mix of 40%carb/40%protein/30%fat.

Hope everyone had a good week!

ropedancer 07-18-2010 05:03 PM

Hey everyone! I had a pretty good week this week. Managed to exercise in the mornings, and kept my calorie intake right where it should be. I did have a couple less than good meals, but I manage to "budget" my calories successfully so it didn't throw me too far off. As a result, I lost a little over 3 and half pounds! I'm shocked! I now weight 138.4. It's still considered overweight for my height, but thanks to the exercise I've been doing this month, I'm noticing a little definition in my arms. I've been doing the 30 Day Shred DVD for three weeks now. When I first began, I couldn't even do 1 modified push up and now I can to several. I also started taking multivitamins. They're not as yummy and chewy as when I remember as a kid, but they're good for me :)

Next week is going to be more of a challenge as I have two large assignments to complete on top of my regular work. When I'm stressed, the first place I reach is the chocolate so I'll have to be sure not to go overboard this time.

Peanutbutter- I haven't really figured out the best combination for me either on the fat/carbs/protein scale. I think nottango is right where it depends on what type of diet/exercise you're doing. I look more at RDA/AI Graph and try to keep the cabs from going over 100%, and keep that Protein High.

circuitmom 07-18-2010 07:01 PM

Sounds like everyone is doing awesome!!! Thanks for the support everyone..

peanutbutter123 07-19-2010 02:44 AM

Thanks Everyone!

I went a little higher on my carbs than I normally would today but I did some technical hiking/rock climbing and figured I probably needed the extra energy. Still on track with my cal. Today was the first day I had to eat out for breakfast with some old friends. I picked the healthiest thing I could see which was a bowl of muesli with fruit. I have never ordered a breakfast that light before. I usually treat myself with the usual eggs potatoes and sausage and think I'm doing good if I don't go for the giant spinach & cheese skillet or something. Anyway it was great and so filling I ate about a cup of it with soy milk and most of the fruit(.5 cup) I didn't finish it and felt great. So far so good. I feel really good today. I am listening to my body and I feel like I'm in a good groove with the food aspect. I eat little meals and never let myself get too hungry. Today I got some goat cheese and was reading the label and realized that subconsciously I am probably needing some healthy bacteria since I hate yogurt but love to drink this cleansing tea. makes sense to me. Havent had a chance to weigh yet. Long story bla bla. I hope you all have a great evening.

ravenplum 07-21-2010 03:24 PM

hi, I've started a fitday diet today (counting calories) and I'm trying to lose 15 pounds. I'm cutting way way back on carbs, no alcohol!, enjoying tons of summer fruit, veggie juice, salads, yummy meats, and lots of coffee with sugar free creamer and I'll probably end up relying on diet sodas as well. I don't have any specific exercise planned because I walk everywhere and run after a preschool aged child every day.
I've been emotionally overeating for the last 4 months and I want to get back in control. This process is not easy, but reading others posts is very helpful.

circuitmom 07-22-2010 03:23 AM

Welcome Raven Plum!

circuitmom 07-22-2010 04:07 AM

I wanted to share that I had a quick and easy idea about making a banana split w/o all the other stuff when you have a craving for ice cream and chocolate..
I took a raw banana and put a little chocolate syrup on it added a tiny dab of whipped cream with nothing else.. I was a little nervous when I first tried it, but I had to pat myself on the back for replacing one of my bad habits with something better for me.. It was pretty good too!!

I agree Canary, Diet Soda is poison, everything with Aspartame in it can make it hard to lose weight, Iím trying to wean myself off of it, I drink lots of iced tea with Sweet ĎNí Low, Iím trying to use regular sugar or nothing, but I love sweet tea..

Peanutbutter, I can relate to what you said about planning and thinking ahead about everything.

I feel like I have to have a mega shopping list sometimes to accommodate my diet. I usually try to put all the cut up fruit and vegetables in individual baggies or small containers so everything is easy to pull out of the fridge.. My mother ní law taught me that..
Iím learning everyday and trying to make things better for myself..

Iím still having a fit with my night-time eating, but Iíve managed to try and keep it calm with readying some different books, I used to love to read b4 I had children, and now itís still not easy to find the time, but Iím trying to rewire my desire to want to sneak into the refrigerator..

Good Night!! I hope you all have a wonderful week!!!

noelminneci 07-22-2010 10:06 PM

Hi there, my neighbor has MS and he rides a recumbant bike for exercise because he can't walk very well.

nottango 07-25-2010 12:46 PM

Sunday weigh-in time: I'll say 148 again. I did see 147 for a few days this week, but ate a lot yesterday. Just glad to still be under 150.

ropedancer 07-25-2010 03:41 PM

Sunday Weigh in- 137 lbs. Not as impressive as a loss as last week but progress is progress. I'll take it. One thing I realized this week is how tricky it is to avoid bad food. We visited my fiancť's grandmother who's been sick. Since she didn't have any strength to cook, she insisted on buying us pizza/fast food. We showed up, and were constantly offered chips, and candy. After we had eaten dinner, she surprised us with a birthday cake (both of us have a birthday in July). I feel like this places you in a tricky situation, as turning down the bad food would be such bad manners! So I tried to compromise by not eating too much of it. I ended up gaining a pound as a result, but managed to get rid of it again.

I had a similar situation the week before when a family member was in town and asked if we wanted to go to a restaurant where even the salads are high in calories. I have a hard time saying no to that. I guess the only thing you can do is try to make the best out of what's on the menu.

circuitmom 07-26-2010 01:27 AM

Good Job everyone!!

I didn't have such a great week, I stressed a little before and after my test, but this week I'm going to work my tail off!!

Weigh in 140.8

circuitmom 07-29-2010 05:20 PM

Hope everyone is having a great week!!!

This week I've been running and walking with my kids, I feel so much better when I work-out!!

nottango 07-29-2010 06:10 PM

I've been seeing numbers on the scale I haven't seen in a while! I know you're not supposed to weigh daily (especially us women with the complications we have to endure) but can't help it. I've been taking the dog every morning and playing with the kids most evenings. Clothes are a bit looser.

circuitmom 07-30-2010 03:21 PM

That's awesome nottango!! I weigh myself everyday too, it's a bad habit, but I can't help it either..

Keep up the good work!!

nottango 08-01-2010 12:16 PM

Looks like there's only a few of us left!
This week I saw the results that I should've seen last week - down 3 pounds to 145.
Started: 154# on 6/21
Current: 145# on 8/1
Goal: 135# by 11/11
Unfortunately, I seem to be losing in the chest, and my butt & thighs are holding on to the fat.
I'm preparing for my vacation - leaving for the Smokey's next Saturday for a week. I had been planning to take the week off FitDay (no offense) but now am thinking I need to bring a notebook and write down all I eat to keep from gaining back all 9 pounds. Also, will be paying more for portion-controlled favorite snacks so I can practice more control. The Cheetos in the little bags taste the same as the "Family Size" -right?

ropedancer 08-01-2010 04:02 PM

Weigh in 136.2- Lost a little less than a pound this week. Results not huge, but pretty good considering how chaotic my week was. My time I usually spend exercising was cut in half and I had to do a lot of driving around, which led to me picking up quick foods that weren't too healthy. So I'm actually pretty satisfied with what I lost.

nottango- good luck on your vacation! And LoL, I'm pretty sure they taste the same :)

circuitmom 08-03-2010 03:06 PM

I'm late weighing in:)

It's nice to be under the 140 mark for once..

Hope everyone has a great week and keep up the good work!!

nottango 08-06-2010 12:34 PM

vacation bound!

I am checking in early this week, and have great news - lost 2 more pounds, so I'm at 143# at the beginning of my trip to the mountains. I am hoping to gain no more than 3 pounds, and feel pretty good about preparations. I got junk for the kids which does not tempt me in the least. I am so proud, too - they actually suggested fruit when we were talking about what to bring! I'll be hiking and swimming, possibly "horseback riding" (which consists of sitting on a horse being led slowly down a pathway with a guide when you're with 5- and 7- yr olds), and rafting (not intensely, obviously).
My appetite has been totally under control lately - maybe having vacation to look forward to has really been a big influence. I have not deprived myself at all.

circuitmom 08-08-2010 06:52 PM

Sounds like everyone is doing good!!

nottango 08-15-2010 01:09 PM

back from vacation

Weighed in at 145# this morning, which means I gained 2#. Ate plenty of food, including trail mix and S'Mores but kept active as well.
I was with my skinny friend, who actually brought Ensure for herself and her son, because sometimes they have no interest in food, and prefer to drink the supplements. Totally couldn't relate.

JulieTM 08-16-2010 04:28 PM

I can add another count to the "gained two pounds" over the weekend club :(

Here's hoping I can burn it off the week and start losing again by next week!

cindyannette 08-16-2010 06:06 PM

Hi! I would love to join your support group. I am 43 and need to lose about 20 lbs. I have gained slowly over the last few years and can't hardly believe the numbers I'm seeing on the scales these days. I love to run several times a week, and despite all that running, the numbers still keep creeping up. Frustrating. I just started about a week ago counting calories through Fitday and lost 3 lbs. last week. I am restricting my calories to 1200 a day, but not written in stone. If I go over, I don't panic. I know that I should lose with anything under 1500 so I'm flexible with it. Trying to get back on my running & exercising this week. It has been way too hot and I've had so much going on this summer that I haven't done it in over a month now. Anyway, may I join your group, and if so, what do is weigh-in? Thanks so much.

nottango 08-16-2010 06:14 PM

Welcome Cindy!

We're a loosely-knit group, but provide the support and encouragement for each other. Officially we are weighing in on Sundays, but we've all been vacationing, so some weeks it's earlier, some later. It's really helpful to interact with people in the same boat, so to speak. We all are told that we're fine the way we are (because most people are heavier than us!) but are struggling with those stubborn pounds.
I used to be a runner, and just started jogging again this summer. Starting to feel really good!