plateau problems

Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default plateau problems

Hi. I'm Becky and I'm new. My problem is that after losing a certain number of pounds, I plateau and can't seem to lose any more weight, thus making it nearly impossible to reach my goal. Is there anyone out there that's about 50ish that has had that problem? How do I overcome it? I get discouraged and quit my weight loss program after not seeing results for weeks because of it.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Plateaus are frustrating. I just keep going with my diet. Reducing calories just a little more but keeping to my diet seems to shakes things up. I lose weight pretty slowly.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

I try to mix things up when I hit a plateau. I just finally started moving the scale in the right direction again after a 2 week plateau. I am doing a low carb diet but also watching my calorie intake. After a week of no weight lose I increased my calorie intake for 2 days but dropped my carb intake then dropped my calorie intake and increased my carbs for 2 days. I alternated that for the last week and then the scale finally started to move again. Plateaus leave me frustrated for sure, but I'm trying to consider them just another obstacle that I'll eventually get over.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:05 AM
FitDay Member

I find it helpful to remind myself of the progress I have made when I plateau and that I know it will end and the weightloss will continue. It is just part of the process.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

Just lost 2lbs. Woohoo!
Old 09-11-2017, 10:57 PM
FitDay Member

Make sure you are eating enough. Your body can think it is in starvation mode and start hanging on to the calories you eat. I break mine by making my meals smaller, and adding high protein snacks. I basically eat about every 2.5-3 hours. My snacks are usually a boiled egg and a cheese stick, A couple pieces of celery with cream cheese. Just enough to tell my body it isn't deprived.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:56 PM
FitDay Member

Your metabolism can start to slow down and adapt to the fewer calories. Make sure you eat every 3 hours. Make sure you are getting enough calories (min. 1,200/day), drink approx. 80-100 oz of water per day, get enough sleep, mix up the foods you are eating a bit too and get enough protein and vegetables, and be patient. When this happens to me I clean out my closet and get rid of clothes that are too big for me. It helps motivate me to stay healthy!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

It gets harder and harder to lose weight, and you have to give more to get more.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 PM
FitDay Member

This is so incredibly frustrating, but I am trying really hard to say positive, focused and on track. Its just hard to be patient when ya work so hard!!!!

Its not so much that I've hit a plateau, but that I'm actually gaining. When a person has more than 70 pounds to lose, me thinks it should come off a tad bit easier! I've cut the calories a bit more in the last couple of days, and have been fairly active (as much as the weather allows). Drinking water, tea and black coffee. Just can't seem to make it work.

Sorry, but I had to vent. No one in my family has weight issues except me- so I don't get a heck of a lot of help and encouragement here. My youngest kid is the exception. She knows how hard I am working on this, so she'll tell me I look thinner. =) I was trying to get some weight off before I go on vacation end of March...but it just doesn't look like its going to happen. *sigh*

thanks for letting me vent.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Stick with it - it might be that you seem to be gaining because hormones affect your weight gain and loss, too (although the fluctuations are temporary)!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service