Notices

gained weight when dieting??

Old 01-14-2010, 02:07 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy gained weight when dieting??

I have started dieting this week, and have cut down my calorie intake by a lot. I have also been going to the gym every night. Today is day 4 of this diet and I have gained weight. I am easily distracked off of diets when it's not going anywhere. This time I am hope to stick to it.

Does anyone have any advice for staying on track even when it all seem like it's not working?? Please help
Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Whitney - Hang in there!! I've noticed that I seem to lose weight in "chunks". For days, nothing will happen, and then overnight several pounds will drop off. I weigh every day, so I know my normal fluctuations by now!

Also, starting a new exercise regimen can definitely cause a temporary weight gain because of extra fluid that accumulates in the muscles during the healing process after working out. I do a lot of strength training and have muscle definition like never before - now I just need to shrink-wrap the fat off these muscles! Like you, I've also experienced the frustration of doing everything right, but at this point it will show up on the scale for you sooner rather than later, I think.

Be careful not to be so aggressive with your new way of eating and working out that you burn out. I've definitely gone through that too!

You're doing great, and you WILL see the results!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
FitDay Member

Whitney. I have been at this Fit Day posting and trying to be careful with my intake for almost 6 months and have only lost 10 pounds. BUT I was fascinated to see I have lost overall 14 inches from my starting measurments. So get out the tape measure and see if you have changes there.

Please do not give up yet. You need to give it a little more time.

Maggie
Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Woke up this morning frustrated with the scales

Hi like Maggie I'm kinda new to all this and I lose interest very easily. I Woke up last 2 days with weight gain of .5 pounds each day and feeling frustrated knowing I'm doing things right ...thinking for what? I never thought about fluid accumulating around stressed muscles and my rings are tight so I know I'm retaining water. It's just so frustrating when you're feeling like a cow to begin with- to retain even more water I'm gonna stick with it - increase my water and hopefully flush out the retention Thanks for all the good advice.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 PM
FitDay Member

keep going I am I found that I stayed the same for several days then went down 3lbs in a couple of days and now I am only down 2 lbs...so I think it is just the average you should look at. I have learnt not to weigh myself as often..I was weighing everyday. Just weigh yourself once a week.

Good Luck...
Old 01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
FitDay Member

Hi all, I'm just back starting again after a break and am finding it hard to lose weight too. I'm mainly doing weight training and know all the reasons why the weight isn't shifting as quickly as I would like. But it's still demotivating when the numbers don't go down....
Old 02-03-2010, 01:47 PM
FitDay Member

I have had the same problem in the past. you might be doing like I usually do- you restrict too much which can be just as bad as eating too much. When you put your body in calorie shock it can hold on to everything- especially fluid. Make sure you are not too low in calories esp in the beginning. Also- make sure you are having enough fiber...I drink metamucil (yes like old people, but they have cranberry flavor which is good) every night and this helps me stay regular which I see makes the scale stay regular too!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:28 PM
FitDay Member

When you work muscles out they will become slightly damaged and will hang onto fluid. This could be happening to you, so don't give up...things are working!! Try upping your water intake and give your muscles a little time to heal and shed the fluid they are hanging on to. You will do great!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:13 PM
FitDay Member

I get frustrated everytime I see a gain on the scale. Just gotta keep at it and don't give up...I should take my own advice also. I hate giving up when I know I should keep going. You can do it...you will get there!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 PM
FitDay Member

Whitney: I know we're all about scale weight but please try not to focus too much on the number. In fact, if you find yourself getting discouraged by it, don't step on the scale more than once a week. Instead, focus on the behaviors that will lead to a healthy body and keep yourself honest by logging your food intake and exercise. If you must measure daily, then use a tape measure which is more accurate in measuring fat loss or try on a pair of jeans that were too tight before you started this program. Sometimes watching the scale is like watching the grass grow. Give yourself a gold star each day you eat heathy and exercise (in appropriate amounts).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.