FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   No more jiggling July .. 100 plus ladies (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1450-no-more-jiggling-july-100-plus-ladies.html)

pattialbert 07-01-2010 03:54 AM

No more jiggling July .. 100 plus ladies

Time for a new thead ladies....cant belive its July already!

SkinnyErinn 07-01-2010 04:21 AM

Me either, it's just a few short days until my 30th birthday, and I've already gotten my first present: A FIVE POUND LOSS FOR THIS WEEK! That's right, I am now officially in the 240's, and officially have less than 100 pounds to lose. I am very very happy right now.
How are you guys doing? I've got a nutty week, doing things for the 4th, church functions, etc. but I will try to pop in and cheer you all on.

pattialbert 07-01-2010 04:22 AM

Morning ladies...
Its a holiday here in Canada ...happy birthday Canada!! I start my holidays today...and heading to visit my dds in 3 weeks..cant wait (but don’t want it to go too fast because then summer is nearing the end)
Yes the 50,000,000 pound challenge is free..and I love the menu is all planned out for you and you can switch it around. As for the calories being too high...I will have to go back and check but Im positive I read its based on a 1300 calories. If you notice the portions are the recommended sizes..such as protein like sirloin stead being 3 or 4 ounces...etc. The Dr also says you should never be hungry on a diet...I love that. Ive always had the opposite in my head. His healthy snacks are such a good variety. Some of them I cannot trust to have in my house yet...cannot see myself buying a bag of chips and only eating a handful! But, someday I hope to be there. The last 3 days Ive lost over 5 pounds...not down to where I was..and thats hard to admit but I will get back to Virgin Fat Territory!!!
Almeeker...I feel your pain! What if you ate some protein along with your berries..such as yogurt or cheese to keep you fuller longer? Once that sugar monster raises its ugly head its soooooooo hard to get rid of! Youve come to far to give you!! Kick him in the ass!
Erinn 34 freakin inches!!!! Omg.................... you rock!!!!! 5 pounds this week and you have less then 100 to lose!! What a fantastic birthday present!!
Mstaff sounds likeyou had a good drs appt!!! Nice going on the 10 pounds!!
Egms...sounds like you made a plan to get thru the stress...and even though you didn’t lose you didn’t gain!!! Thats a winning situation to me!
Princess you say you are confused? Could you explain why you are confused? Theres is lots of help here.
Jay 3.6 this week...awesome!!!
Christine...you mentioned not eating chicken/protein/fruit/veggies the rest of your life? Can I ask how you eat now? Iknow you are struggling I think if you look at almeekers posts and Erinns...and those ladies have lost an impressive amount of weight you will notice that they eat different foods but its low carb and low calories . Erinn eats lean turkey products like pepperonis...and pizza without the crust..that sort of thing. Its all about choices.
Its a bright sunny day today..with a nice wind so Im putting my shoes on and heading out for a walk outside. I need some sunshine in my life today~~~

Susan8Less 07-01-2010 07:08 AM

Hi Ladies!! Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians!!! Guess what I am working on? Implementing the new HST tax onto our computer system!! Oh joy! I hope to get out for some exercise today at some point. I looked at the 5 million pound diet. It looks good.. I'm just not sure if I have time to buy exactly those foods and prepare them. I'm trying to cut down my calories in general and hoping that will work, but if not, I'll have to do something more drastic. Anyway, it looks like a great plan for anyone that sticks with it! Have a great day everyone.

blackrhino2 07-01-2010 07:29 AM

Skinny congrats on accomplishing such a big loss of inches!!! You look beautiful in the photos on your blog--although I also think you looked beautiful from the beginning.

Congrats to Mstaff and Jaynie for your weight loss. It sure ain't easy!! Egms, sometimes staying the same during a stressful time period is just as good a loss in my book as in my past life during stressful times I certainly would have made worse food choices and I would have ended up gaining.

Almeeker, berries are addicting for me too. Or fruit in general because I love sweets. Just remember that a small gain like that is great for kicking us back onto plan. I had a gain this week too and I'm hoping that it will help bring me back to reducing my sugar and carb intake. Although in my head I think "these are natural sugars and healthy antioxidants they can't be that bad for me." Everything in moderation I guess is the key point to work on for both of us. Will this ever be easy??

almeeker 07-01-2010 10:00 AM

Thanks for all the support ladies, yesterday was just out of control, but today has been much better. I got up this morning and grabbed hold of the reins and have behaved myself from the first bite. So far so good, I'm sitting here at about 1,100 calories and have a 250-350 calorie dinner planned. I've even gotten 2/3 of my water in already. Yesterday morning I skipped my protein shake; it's 140 calories and I was trying to make up for the 400 calorie ice cream binge. But I think skipping it did not help me one bit, because instead of having that protein to metabolize all morning, I had a huge bowl of sugary ice cream carbs which tapered off around 10:00am and gave me the worst case of munchies I've had since February. I finally ended up eating 1/2 a very large sweet potato at dinner time and that calmed the whole episode down a bit. At that point I didn't need any more carbs, but it filled me up and quieted the gnawing hunger pangs. I finished the day at like 2,300 calories which is huge for me. The diet horse bucked me off but good, however I've brushed myself off and climbed right back in the saddle today.

I don't think dieting is like riding in a wagon, where all you gotta do is sit your butt down and hang on - that's easy. Dieting is much more like riding a tempermental, green broke, female Mustang with PMS, who bucks for the sheer enjoyment of pissing you off. Or maybe dieting is like riding a raft down class 5 rapids? Welcome to the River Rat, keep in mind at all times you can be violently ejected from the watercraft, when this happens turn belly up, point your feet downstream, keep your head above water and pray.

Anybody else have an analogy they'd care to share?

I'm so proud of you guys who lost weight this past week, that is soooo amazing and wonderful. Feeling jealous and inspired, hopefully by this time next week, I'll have lost a little something too. And I'm loving the new title, my water bottle is raised to "no more jiggling". Awesome.

blackrhino2 07-01-2010 01:51 PM

Too true that the wagon is too easy to ride compared to what we are doing. I think my wagon is from the Oregon Trail times and is missing an axle or two. Is that better? Also everyone around me has typhoid. That makes it an unpleasant ride too.

I really like the bucking mustang image personally! Although I'm not sure what "green broke" means? I feel like that means she hasn't been trained yet. I come from suburbia and I'd like to work on my rural vocabulary.

GameGal 07-01-2010 03:32 PM

In case you all get more ice cream cravings... I dont usually like ice cream at all but I came across Breyers Carb Smart Fudgesicles. They are 100 calories, and like 6 ( i think, might be 3) carbs. They are huge and soooo very good! They also come in reg ice cream bars and some other kind but like I said, I am not an ice cream person, so havent tried those. The other one I did try, but they are pricy for what you get.. was the weight watchers choc raspberry bars. Just a suggestion.

almeeker 07-02-2010 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by blackrhino2 (Post 14899)
Too true that the wagon is too easy to ride compared to what we are doing. I think my wagon is from the Oregon Trail times and is missing an axle or two. Is that better? Also everyone around me has typhoid. That makes it an unpleasant ride too.

I really like the bucking mustang image personally! Although I'm not sure what "green broke" means? I feel like that means she hasn't been trained yet. I come from suburbia and I'd like to work on my rural vocabulary.

"Green broke" is a horse that has been ridden, but only just tolerates a human on it's back and doesn't know a single command.

Originally Posted by GameGal (Post 14902)
In case you all get more ice cream cravings... I dont usually like ice cream at all but I came across Breyers Carb Smart Fudgesicles. They are 100 calories, and like 6 ( i think, might be 3) carbs. They are huge and soooo very good! They also come in reg ice cream bars and some other kind but like I said, I am not an ice cream person, so havent tried those. The other one I did try, but they are pricy for what you get.. was the weight watchers choc raspberry bars. Just a suggestion.

A woman who doesn't like ice cream? Now I've heard it all. Jeez, I think if I didn't love ice cream so much I might not have gotten fat in the first place. It's one of my worst weaknesses. I have a box of those Breyers Carb Smart bars in the freezer right now, and they work pretty well keeping me out of the good stuff. But once the box is open, they will all be gone. Another good brand is Blue Bunny, they have a bunch of low fat, low cal frozen treats called "Freedom..." something or other. I've also been tossing protein bars into the freezer, for something like a frozen candy bar. And I've even put protein shakes through my ice cream maker, which actually makes a half-way decent ice cream like treat. Lately I've been thinking I could make custard with Greek yogurt, eggs, berries and little something sweet, and toss that into the ice cream maker, but so far I haven't given that a whack yet.

Well I'm gonna be off-line for a couple of days, we have a pile of plans for the holiday, so I'll be out of town and logging my foods in a little paperback journal I keep in my purse. So all of you lovelies have a wonderful, semi OP weekend, go out and have some fun, and burn up some calories in the process. Hug, squeeze and I raise my muscle mocha to a great weekend for all.

GameGal 07-02-2010 12:52 AM

LOL Almeeker, I have never really liked ice cream. Nor do I like cake or pies. I was a chocoholic. And then skittles. My big downfall is pasta, perogies, fried food, and did I say pasta?? At one point in my life I was so addicted to choc. I had to have a pound of M & M's a day. Thankfully, I got over that but then found Lindor truffles and Ghiradelli choc. I have done really well avoiding candy the past few months which is no small feat since I live near Ferara Pan Candies factory and outlet store. :-( You can smell all the different candies they are making in the air all the time. I also live near Turano's bread bakery/factory and the smell of fresh baked bread is killing me.

As I said previously, I am very discouraged that even though I am losing inches, my scale isnt dropping nearly fast enough for me. I have lost 30 lbs in 3 months and I realize thats a good amount, but I think the thing that really is bothering me is, last time ( many years ago) I lost a huge amount of weight, I dropped over 100 lbs in less than 6 months. So this just seems torturous to me. And yes, I do know that to lose that 1st hundred that quickly was not healthy.. I had gone anorexic and then gained it all back. So in the long run, I know this is the healthy way to do it, but I want to see the scale dropping more :-(

You all are doing fantastic!! Have a great / safe and fun holiday weekend.

mstaff4564 07-02-2010 05:50 AM

Bah, I am so annoyed today.

I had a fantastic week with exercise & food. I swam 2 hours on Saturday, got on the treadmill Mon - Wed with some core exercises on Wed, and did a 5-mile hike yesterday. On the hike, the only think that hurt at the end were the bottoms of my feet. I kept my calorie intake between 1400 - 1800 & my ratio is great at 50C/30P/20F (same as previous weeks)

Today I weighed in & it read 242. A 2lb gain? Guess the honeymoon's over.

It's insane. There is no way that should've happened. I had a 1000 calorie deficit a day, more on the swim & hike days.

I know what it is. Today is the first day my "aunt" came to visit and I feel like a freakin' whale. I can actually feel the bloating in my thighs & stomach.

I also realize some of it is probably muscle.

I'm not going to quit. I can't quit. Other than the PMS symptoms, I still feel great. Yesterday's hike was such an accomplishment. I hiked that far last summer, but when I was done, I was covered in sweat, my knees & legs trembling, & hurting all over. This year, after just 3 1/2 weeks of constant walking & other exercise, I just felt so much better when it was over. I was still tired, but I know that as I get stronger, I will be able to do more.

So this isn't a discouragement to quit. But it's so aggravating when my body is not behaving itself! And since I'm already ill because of the PMS, it just makes me madder at the scale.

I'm going to keep pushing. I'm taking today off to try to deal with the cramps, then tomorrow I'm swimming another 2 hours. I'm going to hike so more on Monday & hit the treadmill T-Th next week. Hopefully next Friday brings better results.

almeeker 07-02-2010 09:39 AM

Oh, mstaff4564 I sooo feel your pain. I had my little visitor a week or so ago and that week I didn't lose a thing, in fact for most of the week I was up. Anyway you have the right spirit about not quitting. Your body is just taking it's sweet time in catching up with your new life style. Keep at it and you'll be a very happy woman in a week or two, cause you'll have a couple of really good drops. Just give it time, maybe you need to set-up a list of rewards you'll give yourself when you hit those goals? Something to look forward to, something to work toward.

almeeker 07-02-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by GameGal (Post 14922)
LOL Almeeker, I have never really liked ice cream. Nor do I like cake or pies. I was a chocoholic. And then skittles. My big downfall is pasta, perogies, fried food, and did I say pasta?? At one point in my life I was so addicted to choc. I had to have a pound of M & M's a day. Thankfully, I got over that but then found Lindor truffles and Ghiradelli choc. I have done really well avoiding candy the past few months which is no small feat since I live near Ferara Pan Candies factory and outlet store. :-( You can smell all the different candies they are making in the air all the time. I also live near Turano's bread bakery/factory and the smell of fresh baked bread is killing me.

As I said previously, I am very discouraged that even though I am losing inches, my scale isnt dropping nearly fast enough for me. I have lost 30 lbs in 3 months and I realize thats a good amount, but I think the thing that really is bothering me is, last time ( many years ago) I lost a huge amount of weight, I dropped over 100 lbs in less than 6 months. So this just seems torturous to me. And yes, I do know that to lose that 1st hundred that quickly was not healthy.. I had gone anorexic and then gained it all back. So in the long run, I know this is the healthy way to do it, but I want to see the scale dropping more :-(

You all are doing fantastic!! Have a great / safe and fun holiday weekend.

I hear you on the crawling speed of the dropping scale. I've been hanging out around 157-161 for weeks. I can't seem to bust past this plateau and with all the birthday parties in June and now the holiday weekend, I'm just going to be stuck here forever it seems. I'm a chocoholic and carbaholic too, it sounds like we could hang and have lunch, minus the Skittles (I'm allergic to citric acid, so Skittles make me choke). I'm not much for cake either, but LOVE brownies. Pie is one of those things that is dependent on how it's made and the recipe, right now I have 4-5 quarts of fresh raspberries calling me from the kitchen, and I so very want to make a sweet butter crust pie shell and bake them UP! There is a French name for that particular crust but I can never think of it, the recipe has powdered sugar, egg whites, butter and ground pecans in it. It just melts in your mouth, one slice is never enough. Maybe I'll make low-sugar jam and sorbet with them instead, cause I could eat a whole pie right now, and that would be BAD.

It's a good thing I don't live in your neighborhood, or I would be like 600 pounds. Yummy smells kill me too, and to make it worse I have the nose of a bloodhound. I live near Subway, and it kills me, did you know they pipe the oven exhaust into the air on purpose, so you can smell the bread baking for like 1/2 a mile? And to make it worse, their bread never tastes as good as it smells. What is up with that?

mstaff4564 07-03-2010 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 14964)
Oh, mstaff4564 I sooo feel your pain. I had my little visitor a week or so ago and that week I didn't lose a thing, in fact for most of the week I was up. Anyway you have the right spirit about not quitting. Your body is just taking it's sweet time in catching up with your new life style. Keep at it and you'll be a very happy woman in a week or two, cause you'll have a couple of really good drops. Just give it time, maybe you need to set-up a list of rewards you'll give yourself when you hit those goals? Something to look forward to, something to work toward.

Thanks for the encouragement. The small rewards are a really good idea. Sadly, I won't have any extra $ for those small rewards until the end of August, when I get my student loans, but maybe I can scrounge up $20 or so for a mini-reward/goal between now and then. Non-food reward, of course. Maybe a cute little pair of sandals I could wear with some skirts to work when I hit 230. I just wear jeans all the time now, most of the time because I've been too tired to wear anything else, but also I don't have any shoes to wear with the skirts I do have.

On my old scale, it looked like I was back down to 240 this morning (maybe even slipping down to 239). But I ended up buying a new digital scale because the dial one is driving me crazy and won't sit still to get an accurate reading. The new scale, of course, can't give me a consistent reading either, which drives me nuts, but it looks like I'm at 242 on the new scale. I think I'm going to switch my weigh-in days to Mondays, that way, I can avoid most of the TOM bloating and won't have a nasty reading every 4 weeks.

I'm not too stressed about it, that's still 10 lbs in 3 weeks, so I'm still on track. Like you said, hopefully I'll have a good drop next week.

I also noticed, when some of the bloating went down last night, that my shirts are a little looser and I can definitely see a difference in my waist and chest. So I'm thrilled with that as well.

I was up at 6 this morning & feeling much better. I grabbed a breakfast of eggs, watermelon, & some milk, and I'm ready to pull on the bathing suit & swim for a few hours!

almeeker 07-03-2010 12:47 AM

Non food rewards don't have to cost money. Lizzycritter made one of her goal rewards "dancing nekkid on the bathroom scale". You could do something really cheap like buy a new bottle of nail polish and invite a friend over for an informal "mani-pedi" party. There was another poster that gave herself the amount of the loss as cash for a reward, so at 10 pounds lost she bought something that cost $10 and at 20 pounds lost, a purse that cost $20, so forth and so on. Actually that's a plan that makes a lot of sense, because the more you've lost the more new clothes you need anyway. Good luck and give Auntie Flo the boot as quickly as possible.

GameGal 07-03-2010 01:54 AM

You might try a digital scale. I got mine at walmart.com and love it. I looked to see if I could tell you which it was, but it isnt there anymore. However, there is one called Taylor ultra thick.. holds up to 430 lbs and all the reviews are excellent. Best thing is, its only $20.

SkinnyErinn 07-03-2010 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by GameGal (Post 14997)
You might try a digital scale. I got mine at walmart.com and love it. I looked to see if I could tell you which it was, but it isnt there anymore. However, there is one called Taylor ultra thick.. holds up to 430 lbs and all the reviews are excellent. Best thing is, its only $20.

I have a digital scale I got from Walmart, it's a Weight Watchers scale and it is fantabulous! It can be programmed for up to 4 different people, keeping data like gender, age and height and then (this is the good part), it actually can tell your weight, body fat % AND your % of water weight. It's uh-mazing, all for the low, low price of $20.

This week is wonky, to say the least. I weighed in Thursday at 249, Friday, 246 and this morning 242. This is um... strange and I am too afraid of it being kooky water weight to get my hopes up that I have actually LOST 7 pounds in 2 days.
But, I also have heard a little bit about "set points." They are weights your body gets stuck at (plateau) because (theoretically), that was the weight you were at some sort of developmental milestone. So, your body kindof "programs" that this is an appropriate weight for you and stops losing. Now, I would say that the 260's and DEFINITELY the 250's were set points. I lost so little and had to fight for every single pound. I remember losing from 334 to 307 without hardly having to blink and eye... then creeping through the 290's, whizzing through 280s... etc.
Perhaps my 240's are going to be a speed through for me, which is scary because I know that means my 230's are going to be pure hell. LOL, I can't believe I am going to be 230 pounds... wow.
On a very pleasant note - I heard through the grapevine that my family had a pow wow about me last night. My SO, kids, cousins, sisters, neices, nephews, aunt and my mom were all there (I didn't know, I was working out). Basically, I guess what went down is that they all started telling my mom how amazing I look and pulling my latest pictures from Facebook. They kept saying over and over again - look at her cheek bones, her collar bones... she's GORGEOUS... but my mom never budged...no change, she couldn't see it.
(For those of you who don't know me - I have lost 188 pounds and my mom says she can't see any difference in me).
This morning, I go over to her house to pick up my eldest from spending the night with Memaw and my mom (in a room full of people) says, "You are looking fantastic, really amazing... great job." I thought I was going to pee my pants! Everyone in the room just kindof stared at her, dumbfounded. So, progress is being made on all kinds of fronts.
Happy 4th you guys! You are all beautiful sparklers!

GameGal 07-03-2010 06:40 AM

Although it is very frustrating to have your mother ( brother , father, sister) refuse to acknowledge your hard work, be happy and encouraged others do.

I am sure it took a lot for your mom to actually see the difference, it has to be hard for some parents... who are used to having an overweight child, they go through frustration of wanting us healthier, anger that your different from most other kids, and finally resignation to the fact. So when you start losing, they truely do not know how to deal with you as a motivated person who is getting thinner and more active.

Growing up, my father made it abundantly clear he did not want a 'fat kid'.. and I will never in my life forget this... one day ( I was 9 at the time) I had made dinner.. swiss steak, taters, corn and pineapple upside down cake. It was my 1st meal I had ever cooked and was so proud of myself. Things were going ok until I asked for 2nds. My father jumped up from his seat, grabbed my realllly long hair and as I cried out from shock and pain he started shoving all this food into my mouth telling me he didnt care how long it took, I was going to eat everything on the table. He went on to tell me he hoped I died from it. Years later when I had actually gone anorexic, he refused to acknowledge I had lost over 100 lbs. So I think its a mind-set of some sort.

So I am glad your mom did finally see it, but even if she hadnt, you are still special.. you are doing a fantastic job with your new lifestyle ( I hate the word diet) and others see its making a difference too! :D

speedyfair 07-03-2010 07:17 AM

happy holidays to all

happy birthday to my canadian friends and happy 4th to the US friends

had a decent week, not as healthy as i wanted, but didn't gain any back , just was able to maintain. it is really hard once i got off plan to get back on that old mustang lol. it really is a bumpy ride- just hold on and try to ride out the rough spots.

congrat to all that lost weight and inches this week- it really is a motivating factor to read how well you guys are doing and helps me stick to it. have to bump up my exercise this week as well and do a much better job on cutting the snacks.

having a cookout with friends tonight and going to try to stick with mostly veggies and a burger with no bun. hope everyone has a great weekend.

blackrhino2 07-03-2010 07:25 AM

Skinny, I'm so glad to hear that your mom FINALLY complimented you on your weight loss! Yay, people can change!?! Although I'm sure she's still a PITA in many other ways.:p

Gamegal, that sounds like a pretty traumatizing and scarring experience. It seems like you must be a strong person to be able to keep it in perspective and move on with life.

My parents never forced food down my throat, thank god. I feel like my dad was constantly telling me to "put the cookie down" and he would tell me when he thought I'd eaten enough--which really pissed me off. It was somewhat traumatizing to me as I remember this vividly. I also remember a lot of anger towards him for always watching what I ate. I think I might have been a bit on the over-sensitive side though. I think what it comes down to is that he is overweight. I don't know how much he weighs but he has a good amount to lose. His whole family has weight issues and he was hoping that my sister and I wouldn't so he was trying to help us by telling us not to eat so much.

SkinnyErinn 07-03-2010 01:11 PM

Thanks Rhino, it was pretty cool. It may take the additional 90+ pounds to get her to mention it again, but... it was a start and sometimes, that's enough. At least for now.

I miss you guys. Work was insane this week, there are new faces here that I don't know yet - welcome welcome welcome! Hope you get all the support you need to acheive your goals. Where's Jaynie?

pattialbert 07-05-2010 06:20 AM

Jaynie come out whereever your are???

Morning ladies
this weekend was a bit up and down for me foodwise..did well untill last night when I fell into a package of cookies but I threw them out!!!! Dont need those temptations hanging around. The rest of the weekend was good though...Im still down a bit after last week too! Im leaving on a plane in two weeks so Im not goign to fail now!
Erinn Im so glad to hear your mother noticed your efforts..its a hard thing for some people to acknowledge. I think sometimes its a jealousy thing
Blackrhino its hard for parents to see what their children are doing to themselves and to not say anything is harder still....its tough. Do you think now that maybe this was his way of showing his love??
Mstaff I like the nail polish idea...check out the dollar store and see what you can find for a buck! Something cool for summer would be so cute..I can see a neon green or yellow!! Everytime you look at them you will remember how far you have come.
Almeeker that many raspberries would never last in my house..my dh loves them ..just plain! mmm so do I.
Couldnt get to the ymca today but got out for a walk outside and enjoy that fresh air instead!! sun on the face and breeze in the hair...so nice!!!

off now...ttyl

Michellebelle_05 07-05-2010 11:34 AM

Hey there.
I have to start by saying that is so motivating to read y'all's posts. To see that are having the same struggles and failures and achievements, and yet have overcome those to accomplish the many of the goals you have is just so encouraging, so thank you.
As for me, I'm really excited. I know I've just started but I've slowly cut down my calorie intake. I started around 2,500 and now I'm down to eating 1,400. I know its just a small step, but its enough to motivate me for now =D

Susan8Less 07-05-2010 02:45 PM

Hi Lovely Ladies!!! I'm just checking in to say that I've been struggling the last few days but I'm back on track today! I'm going with 1800 calories a day or less starting right now! I started logging all my food intake and exercise on fitday. I just hope I can learn to live with 1800 calories a day instead of my usual 2500 or more. Looking forward to getting to know you all here and beating this problem together!

mstaff4564 07-05-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker
There was another poster that gave herself the amount of the loss as cash for a reward, so at 10 pounds lost she bought something that cost $10 and at 20 pounds lost, a purse that cost $20, so forth and so on. Actually that's a plan that makes a lot of sense, because the more you've lost the more new clothes you need anyway.

That's a pretty cool idea. I could take and squirrel away a dollar for each lb lost, & use it for some new clothes as I need them.

Originally Posted by GameGal
You might try a digital scale. I got mine at walmart.com and love it. I looked to see if I could tell you which it was, but it isnt there anymore.

I got a simple digital scale from Wal-mart. It just measures weight with no other bells & whistles, but that's all I need for now.

To SkinnyErinn: Congrats on the weight loss and on the compliment from your mom! If she's not usually one for compliments, that must've been hard for her to say, but I'm SO happy you were able to get acknowledgement from her.

Thanks to everyone for the inexpensive "reward" ideas. I'm going to work this week on creating mini-goals & rewards for myself.

So I weighed in this morning. I did lose some weight this week, but the difference between the old scale & the new digital one is about 3lbs. So while I actually lost about 1.5lbs, I'm going to readjust my weekly weight to 241.5 to get in line with the new scale. Kind of stinks, but I'm not stressed about it.

I swam 32 laps on Saturday, which I believe is a mile, so I was happy about that. And I didn't feel nearly as sore on Sunday as I usually do. I also did an hour and a half hike this morning. After last week's hike, my feet were killing me, so I sucked it up and went to buy some new shoes. I got some nice workout shoes & walking shoes for everyday for about $60. The new shoes are working great. My feet didn't hurt at all today.

More than anything, I am definitely noticing how much stronger I am after only a month of exercise and how much energy I have. It makes me very happy :)

I am starting to have a problem meeting my calorie levels I set. I set a range of 1500-1800 a day, but some days I'm lucky if I get 1300 or 1400. Which is probably OK on the rest days, but not OK when I'm burning 700 to 1300 additional calories swimming or hiking. I'm worried my body is going to go into "starvation" mode & refuse to cooperate. I've got to find some ways to up my calories without upping my carbs.

Have to go back to work tomorrow. BOO!

almeeker 07-05-2010 11:03 PM

Morning ladies, I can't chat long, I have to get the workout in before the kiddies get here. Anyway, my holiday was fantastic entertainment-wise and a complete disaster calories-wise. This is the first time in 6 months that I've actually consumed more calories than I've burned, so I'm a little disappointed in myself that way. The good news is that I worked out everyday because I wanted to, and because I ate so many things that I normally don't my stomach and GI track have been completely off-kilter. I know that doesn't sound like a good thing, but I'm one of those people that will actually stop myself the next time from eating something that has made me sick before, or I will stop myself sooner. So this morning I'm totally back on track. Actually I didn't eat too many things that are off plan over the weekend, just waaayyyy toooo much of almost everything. I gotta get going, it's getting late here.

kathib42002 07-06-2010 12:03 AM

DAY 1: Just starting out. My first goal is 6 pounds- 134, down from 140. I would loke to reach it in two weeks. I think that may be realistic since I am just beginning. I've written an food and exercise plan. My real goal is simply to stick to it, one week and one day at a time. If I do that, I will loose what my body is ready to give up and I will feel sleeker and healthier in a week. It is stringent. I am hoping to capitalize on the high level of motivation one has at the beginning of a challenge. Exercise goal is for 2 pilates, 3 nia and 2 yoga classes this week. Wish me luck and write to me and share your goals.

almeeker 07-06-2010 02:25 AM

I'm back again. Got the workout in, and all the kiddos are here now. The weekend was calorie-wise crazy huge. I was soooo very off plan it wasn't even funny. I debated not even trying to figure it out this morning, but I made myself do it anyway. That will help me next time I hope. I'm sitting here this morning 7.7 pounds heavier than I was on Saturday morning, seriously. It's hard to believe I was that bad, and I do feel a little bloated and dehydrated this morning, but believe me I was super naughty. I've done what I can to get back on track, and I think something I ate has given me a mild case of food poisoning, so I feel unwell enough that the carb monster isn't riding my back at all. Which is good and bad all at the same time.

skinny, I'm so glad that your mom said something nice. I mean seriously if the woman has eyes (and a brain) in her head she knows that you've been losing weight, but sometimes people have a really hard time acknowledging the success of others. Some people never ever learn to do it, and although your mother sure took her sweet time about it, she overcame a hurdle by saying it out loud to you. That's a huge step, for both of you.

gamegal, geez what a traumatizing experience!!!! I thought I had it bad because my mother put me on a no-food, shakes only diet in the 4th grade. Man, that does it, I'm calling mom to tell her that I love her and to say one more time that she's a great mom. You know as a parent I struggle with how to help my children with this same issue. Our oldest is a little chubby, not obese by any stretch, but certainly overweight. She's very active, but she has a serious sweet tooth. I've gotten rid of most of the junkie snacks in the house, but now she sort of in "deprivation" mode, so when she does get the junkie snacks, she goes overboard. I try really hard not to make it a huge issue, but when she's headed for 2nds and 3rds, my DH and I both step in. I think she has some of the same issues I do, I don't feel full until maybe 45 minutes after I've eaten and I'm also a carbaholic. Poor thing, she's soooo very like her mother. I've been working gently with her, we talk about nutrition frequently, and it seems to be helping. Fingers crossed.

Jaynie, come out come out where ever you are.

mstaff, strong chicks rule!!! I think it's that "strong" feeling that gets people addicted to working out. I've been debating taking some pics of myself doing the typical body building poses, just for fun. Well also for posting, since tandoorichicken has said over and over that "women don't get big muscles, blah blah blah - they get naturally sleek muscles". All I can say is that he's wrong, and it just might be fun to show him just how wrong.

patti, raspberries wouldn't last at my house either, but you have to understand that I've picked bucketfuls. What didn't get eaten has been washed and frozen, and when I get a minute, I'm going to make jam. I use about 8 cups of crushed berries with 1 cup of sugar, 1 box of "no sugar added" pectin and 1 3/4 cup unsweetened cranberry cocktail juice. It's just the right thing to put in Greek yogurt. Yummmmmm....

Well I gotta go, the kiddies need some entertainment....

blackrhino2 07-06-2010 08:11 AM

Patti,
Yes, I think that my dad was telling me to not eat things--like 4 cookies, because he loved and cared about me and he didn't want me to have the same struggles that he and his entire family have. I was angry because we didn't get along that well (maybe we were too similar) and I hated anyone telling me what to do. So food became an item of contention between us.

I wonder if what he did worked at all. I now have bingeing issues, but other times I am very content and happy to eat healthy portions. I am considered to be a healthy weight. If he hadn't said anything who knows if I would have been worse or better off. It's probably better that he did speak up even though it made me self conscious.

Our roles have changed, as now I wish I could ask him to be more careful since he is over weight and I wish he would lose a few pounds so that I didn't worry about him so much.

myoutwardbeauty710 07-06-2010 08:11 AM

Hi there~ almeeker invited me to a 100 lb club... not sure if this is the right one, but if so, here I am! :D I ballooned to 239 (my heaviest ever!) between 2000 and 2006. Sept 2006 I had my thyroid out. Struggled until April of 2008 when I said THAT'S ENOUGH! I have well over 100 lbs to lose and I have to do something about it NOW! So between April 1 and September 1, 2008 I lost 60 lbs just by walking and eating very little. Well September 2008 my doctor stopped my metabolism with a pill and I not only couldn't lose any more, but gained 41 of the 60 back. :( (see my blog below for the full story)

Well between now and then, I have been maintaining right around 220 or so. I NEED to be 104-118 for my height (5'2.5) but I put my goal weight as 125, even though I will accept 135 at this point. So with my recent loss of 8 lbs over the past 8 weeks, I have almost 88 lbs to go, to my high goal of 125.

SO with all that blabbering being said (haha) may I join the Jiggling July 100 plus group? I have been 100 lbs + over weight starting slowly in 2000 when my thyroid went haywire, so I should qualify... right? :confused:

I look forward to getting to know you all~ and hope you will accept me as one of your own. :D

almeeker 07-06-2010 08:34 AM

Yes, this is the right spot! Welcome aboard! We're not too fussy about how much anyone has to lose, it's just a number. We're always glad to have a new voice here.

changeisgood29 07-06-2010 10:10 AM

Welcome aboard, Myoutwardbeauty! Much luck and well wishes to you.

myoutwardbeauty710 07-06-2010 11:07 AM

Thanks guys, I am really excited about this new journey. ;) Can't wait to get to know you all~

GameGal 07-06-2010 12:12 PM

Welcome to the group! Glad Almeeker invited you here. :)

I have thyroid issues as well. It started with very serious heart problems and the medicine needed to keep that in check killed my thyroid. Thus it seems excrutiatingly slow losing weight.

I had, previously many years ago lost a tremendous amount of weight, by doing almost what you described.. eating very little, exercizing lots.. and then it turned anorexic :eek: So I stopped that and gained it all back, plus.. and my next diet I begged and pleaded for Meridia since I knew others on it at the time. My doc did some research and (this was several years ago so I dont know if the medicine is different now).. but my doctor read that basically Meridia helps you lose 30% of your weight. So to me, it isnt a good companion the whole trip, however it might just give you the headstart you need to keep going!

Keep up the good work and thanks for joining the group!

almeeker 07-06-2010 01:31 PM

Hopefully some of you newbies are petite? I'm overrun here with Amazons.

Today was okay, I finished at 1,800 on the high side for me, but not completely off kilter, unlike yesterday.... I've been unwell today and sticking to comfort food, so my carbs are high, but hopefully close enough to my normal healthy diet that my GI track will realign tomorrow.

GameGal 07-06-2010 02:13 PM

Petite as in height? I am almost ( on tip toes ) 5'2".

I'm sorry you were ill today:( Hope you feel better soon.

I did so-so today. I was feeling frustrated and deprived and so got chinese take-out. Normally that isnt a problem for most folks except for us diabetics. My fav is shrimp fried rice and so I had some. But I know I can go get right back on track tomorrow.. so its not something to give up over.

It's good to read on here about other women who also have days things were not ideal, but they bounce back. It gives me hope I can stick this thing through too!

Good job everyone!

myoutwardbeauty710 07-06-2010 03:24 PM

Wow Game Gal, we sound a lot alike, well except for the anorexia. I am being positive about the Meridia. Hey, if what your Dr said is right, then 30% of my weight is right at 63.9 lbs, so I am not going to sneeze at that for sure, what great news!!! Thanks for the tip~ Plus I am not having the side effects that everyone else is having and that is awesome, because I was very worried. Glad you are keeping on going, it is a tough battle but it is worth the fight in the end, right?

Almeeker, If I sneeze I am 5'3. lol But normally at the dr's office I measure between 5'2 and 5'2.5. :) So no I am a shorty too. :o

myoutwardbeauty710 07-06-2010 03:26 PM

PS, I would love to start tracking my water on here. I saw it once, somewhere on this site, but I can't find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have looked for the past hour and must be skipping over it with tired eyes. ;)

SkinnyErinn 07-06-2010 05:09 PM

Hey all...

This weekend was INSANE. Lots of fun, as it is my last weekend of being in my 20's. Tomorrow I am 30!!!
So, workouts have been a little weak. I have to get back in touch with my inner demon. Food is going good (not counting the weekend drinking), vitamins and water are going well.
Right now I am only averaging about 4 hours a week, I used to do about 14... god I am slipping. Back on the bull tomorrow with a 5AM workout.
I will try my hardest to connect with you all some more, I love hearing about your successes and pitfalls, it's just... this has been an insane time for me.
Not only is my bday tomorrow, but so are 10 other bday's in my family!! Plus my bff's wedding... 2 catering events for my church...OH and let's not forget the worker's comp and INS investigation happening at work. GREAT TIMES. So, I think a great workout is exactly what I need. Talk to you all soon.

almeeker 07-06-2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by GameGal (Post 15202)
Petite as in height? I am almost ( on tip toes ) 5'2".

Originally Posted by myoutwardbeauty710 (Post 15204)
If I sneeze I am 5'3. lol But normally at the dr's office I measure between 5'2 and 5'2.5. :) So no I am a shorty too. :o

Well Amen to that! Welcome aboard fellow elves. Sometimes when I post on the forum, not this thread but others I get flamed by people saying "120? WTF? That's got eating disorder written all over it". Well not if you're 5'-2" when fluff your hair up and lift your heels off the floor, geez I won't even buy flip flops if they don't have a bit of extra lift in them. The sad part is that it's not my stomach that's petite, it's my skeleton, I can eat as much as those tall girls - it's not fair I tell you. I've joked for years that I have the curves and appetite of a much taller woman. Actually both my regular doc and my knee doc told me my ideal weight is 115, but seriously where do you put your cup size into that formula? Mine are pretty much the same size no matter what I weigh, so I gave myself an extra 5lbs for boobyliciousness, and choose to ignore the "slight skeletal frame" reduction I should probably consider.

skinny, sounds like you got some insanity going on around you. An investigation eh? Oh yes, that's sounds like ever so much fun... My life is nutty too, but maybe not quite so crazy as yours this week. Today I have my 3 kids, plus 3 extra all day and then another 2 kiddos just for the afternoon. The funny part is that I have the 2 extra in the afternoon because their dad has a doctor's appointment, but guess what I have one this morning and will be taking 6 kids with me. Oh and tonight we have a swim meet. Now won't that be fun in this insane heat? It's like 6:15am here and I've already been sweating for an hour, and I haven't even gotten dressed yet.