Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
No more jiggling July .. 100 plus ladies >

No more jiggling July .. 100 plus ladies

Community
Notices

No more jiggling July .. 100 plus ladies

Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Actually I've always been a big water drinker, so I don't think my stomach is better from that so much as healthier portions. Your water retention problems might actually be caused by not drinking enough. When I was pregnant I became dehydrated, and one of the symptoms was swelling of the hands and feet. So weird, you would think it would be the other way round. At the time the doctor told me that if the body can't flush out salts, the cells in the body retain water, blah blah blah, so drink lots of water and the swelling goes away. Have you tried green tea?

I'm surprised to hear about the headaches too, good to know.
I used to drink about 4 pop a day and no water and then a while ago I went to drinking only water and now I love it. You can put a couple pf slices of lemon in it as well with lots of ice so it is cold.

I worry because I want my 7 yr old son and 4 year old daughter to drink more water. I am not sure how much they need to drink a day but my son never drinks water and it is so hot out I really worry.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by blackrhino2
Hi Gamegal, I sometimes don't eat enough cals too. Often its the opposite problem, but last week I was having trouble making it to 1200. Today I'm topping 2000.

Have you tried making smoothies? They are easy to slurp down the calories. You can put seeds in them to boost calories--like hemp, chia, or ground flax. They are healthy fats, fiber, protein and give me lots of energy. I also mix in spinach because--believe it or not you can't taste the spinach, and it's extra iron.

You can use: milk, frozen banana, lots of spinach, berries, yogurt, seeds or protein powder and then whirr away. The only slight pain is cleaning out the blender. Although I just give it a good rinse and only really clean it after a few uses. I also make smoothies to be super low cal, if I've already consumed a lot. Honestly, just milk, 1/2 a frozen banana, and 2 cups of spinach tastes really good, gives me energy, and is maybe 100 cals.

Another way to add healthy calories is by making "raw cookies". Yesterday I put cashews and golden raisins in the cuisinart and the consistency is like raw cookie dough--i love the gooeyness. I rolled them into balls and put them in tin foil in the fridge. They are delicious cold. But they are about 150 calories a pop, so be careful. They really hold me over though. I was thinking that adding coconut would be good too...or a few chocolate chips.

Just so you know, I"m not a total health food nut, but lately I have been trying these sorts of things! I am trying to eat foods that I don't lead to ridiculous cravings, so the less processed the better. I haven't posted on this thread in a month or so, hello to everyone, even though most don't recognize my name.
what kind of spinach are you using for your smoothies? Frozen, raw, baby spinach etc.?
Old 07-29-2010, 02:48 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Christine, I use raw spinach. I don't use the baby spinach that people put on salads because it is a bit more expensive. I use the kind that people usually saute. It is 0.99 cents for 10 oz at my local grocery store. I can make 4 smoothies out of that.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Ladies,

I'm very frustrated with my weight not budging for 2 weeks even though I'm counting every single calorie and not going over 1800 and running 5 times a week. I had a really stressful day yesterday and last night I lost it and decided to eat anything I wanted AFTER I had reached my 1800 limit. I had chips, a bagel with butter, cheese, juice and topped it off with a fudgicle. I gained a pound this morning on the scale and I'm just about ready to give up on this whole thing. Apparantly 1800 calories a day and running 5 times a week is not good enough. VERY UPSETTING.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Susan8Less
Hi Ladies,

I'm very frustrated with my weight not budging for 2 weeks even though I'm counting every single calorie and not going over 1800 and running 5 times a week. I had a really stressful day yesterday and last night I lost it and decided to eat anything I wanted AFTER I had reached my 1800 limit. I had chips, a bagel with butter, cheese, juice and topped it off with a fudgicle. I gained a pound this morning on the scale and I'm just about ready to give up on this whole thing. Apparantly 1800 calories a day and running 5 times a week is not good enough. VERY UPSETTING.
I'm sorry to hear that your body is giving you a headache over this. It must be really frustrating for you.
Have you considered trying another form of exercise to break up your routine? I've added a dance 'Salsa' class and Tai Chi to my regime these past two weeks and the scale is being very kind at the moment, not to mention it's fun and makes me feel great afterwards.
Also, it may be lean muscle that you're gaining? It's heavier than fat. Maybe your body shape is changing, have you been keeping measurements? For the last two weeks I only had small losses, but had lost 1.5 inches from my waist. So all was not lost!
Good luck with the scales next week. My fingers are crossed for you!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

It sounds like you are at a plateau and according to my dietitian, its time to drop those calories by 100 - 200 a day and keep up the workouts.

I dont know how much you have lost already but from what I have been told everyone goes through this at different stages. If it were me, and only you can judge this for yourself, I would drop the calories by 100 each day and see if the scale budges after a week or 2. If not, then go back to 1800 and try to figure out what else might be going on.. are you drinking more fluids so its water weight? Are you adding muscle to replace the fat ( which weighs more)? Is your body measurements changing ( maybe your clothes are a little looser??).. theres a bunch of things it could be.

Dont give up because it will be that much harder to start again, and I can tell you from experience, the older you get, with all the weight WILL take a toll on your health. When I was in my 30's, 40's .. I felt physically fine, even with the weight and rolled my eyes at people ( including my doctor) who would tell me what I am telling you. I hit 50 and the bottom fell out. I started getting back problems. Hip and joint problems. Heart problems. Breathing problems. Diabetes. Every single one of them was caused by being overweight and will be helped ( its too late to "cure" them) by losing that weight. Please don't give up and then years from now sit here and think , if only!

Thanks to all who had kind words to say about my pup She got worse overnight and I had to take her today.

I will try smoothies and see if that helps. If anyone else has any other ideas I would love to hear them

Last edited by GameGal; 07-29-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:57 AM
FitDay Member

GameGal - I'm so sorry about Twinki. Pets can be such great companions and we can really have special bonds with them. I feel the same way about my cats...I'm called a a crazy cat lady for a reason, I guess! (I have 12)

Concerning your calorie boost...I agree that shakes or smoothies might be the way to go. Some protein power, fruit, greek yogurt...would probably help you get in those extra calories in a healthier way & would hopefully not make you feel overfull.

christineval - congrats on keeping that evil Nutella at bay Jumping out of your heart-range so quickly seems odd. What are you using to check what your heart rate should be? The exercise machines aren't always accurate due to age, height, & other factors. You might want to try calculating it on your own using a ratio like this. Also, you might have luck with a heart rate monitor strapped to you...I've heard that is a lot more accurate.

It does sound like you are in a higher range than the "weight-loss" range, right? Maybe dial the intensity down a bit & see if you have any luck. If your heart rate is higher, I think that builds more endurance than it burns calories.

After my treadmill work, I am sweating buckets. My usual heart rate during the workouts is 130-150, which matches my target heart rate for weight-loss. That's the only reason why I wonder if your target heart rate is off, because we are similar in size & height.

In case you are curious, this is a typical exercise week for me now:

M,W,F - 45 mins treadmill, 20 min walk at work, 20 mins shooting baskets/playing Wii Sports, 10 mins stretching
T,Th - 20 mins Tae Bo, 30 mins Yoga, 10-20 mins strength training, 20 min walk at work, 20 mins shooting baskets/playing Wii Sports
Sat - 2 hour swim
Sun - Rest day (maybe some Yoga or strength training, but no major cardio)

I lost 1.3lbs last week & so far have lost about a pound this week, so this seems to be a good plan for me right now.

Susan8Less - I'm sorry you are struggling. Please don't give up. Your body really may just be adjusting after a pretty decent weight loss. Try some different things first. You could cut your calories a bit, OR maybe you're not getting enough calories depending on what you are burning. Running 5 times a week? If you're doing that for a long distance, that's a lot of calories burned! I'm doing the exercise plan above & averaging 1600-1800 calories a week & the scale is starting to move for me. You could also try as others suggested & change up your workout.

As for me...I've lost about another pound since Monday. I weighed in at 237 yesterday, but today it was back up to 237.6, so we'll say a pound. Hopefully it'll be more this week, but I think this morning's rise had to do with the good old monthly bloat that comes along with Aunt Flo, which started today. So who knows what the scale with say come Monday?

I've also been extremely tired the last few days. I actually skipped one of my workout tapes this morning & have had an "active recovery" day with just yoga, a light walk & shooting some baskets. I'm trying to give my body a day of rest & hopefully it'll bounce back. Of course, the tiredness could also be from Aunt Flo too. I am going to try to workout tomorrow morning unless I'm just overrun with cramps & exhaustion. We shall see.

I'm seriously bummed because I've got to stop swimming until probably September. My husband had to take a job or lose unemployment benefits. Now the "full-time" job is only working him 1 or 2 nights a week, and unemployment may not compensate for the amount we are missing out on, even though it is supposed to. We are desperately trying to figure out how to pay the bills & feed ourselves in August (until I can get my financial aid from school). It looks like I may have to max out my credit card in order to do it. And, of course, there is no room for $3-$9 a week for us to swim

That's like the one thing I truly do for myself that's ME, because we've been so broke that I've given up so much else. Now that's gone too.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM
FitDay Member

WeightlossBoo, I do find my clothes fitting so much better so maybe the extent of exercising I'm doing is affecting the scale. If I stick with it, I'm sure I'll see results eventually.. it's just that I want results RIGHT NOW !!! lol

GameGal, Thank-you for reminding me why I started this. I am turning 45 this year and I don't have diabetes yet, but I am very uncomfortable with back pain, stiff legs etc. My quality of life could improve so much.

I'm really sorry about your little dog. Try to put the doggy's best interest first. If he's suffering a lot and you can't bring yourself to put him down, at least make sure he's getting regular doses of strong painkilling meds. Don't let the poor little guy suffer.

Maybe when it's all over you should get a new little puppy. I lost my kitty last year and we were really sad. Our new kitten brought a lot of joy back into the house.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:15 AM
FitDay Member

I just want to thank everyone on this thread for being polite and respectful of others. I haven't seen one rude thing posted since I joined this site on June 3rd. Even if there is disagreement, it is always polite. And some polite debate stimulates my mind and helps me figure out what's right for me.

On a side note.... I am now down 20 pounds in the last 9 weeks. Whooo hooo!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Susan8Less
Hi Ladies,

You're not the only one that had a binge last night. YIKES!!! It was bad, much worse that yours actually. I won't go in to all the gory details, let's just say it started with cheese, ended with cheese and there was a chocolate overdose in the middle.... But today is a new day and I've rededicated myself to this cause, and so far today I'm sitting at 700+ calories, and have a low cal dinner planned, I should finish at about 1,350 for the day. I also put in a stellar workout and spent 2 hours of QT in the garden.

When I started this I weighed 244.6 lbs so in the same ball park as you. It could be that you have one of those metabolisms meant for a cave woman, where you could survive on nuts and seeds until the next mammoth hunt, and still be plush. I'm exactly the same way. I'm going to second that calorie drop, for a couple of days you might try 1,500ish and make sure your carbs stay at or below 50% of your pie chart. And I am going to second mixing up the workout too, if for no other reason than muscles can get bored. See if that doesn't help a little, oh and make sure you get to the watering hole and swill down as much as you can stand. You also have to give it time, I know we cave women can pack it on faster than we lose it, but in order to lose real weight, you have to stick with it, this is a lifestyle change not a diet, it's for life, a long happy thin life. I remember reading one post a while back that said something like calories burned - calories eaten + time = weight loss, or some such. The last part of the equation is just as important as the other two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.