Notices

No more jiggling July .. 100 plus ladies

Old 07-02-2010, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

Bah, I am so annoyed today.

I had a fantastic week with exercise & food. I swam 2 hours on Saturday, got on the treadmill Mon - Wed with some core exercises on Wed, and did a 5-mile hike yesterday. On the hike, the only think that hurt at the end were the bottoms of my feet. I kept my calorie intake between 1400 - 1800 & my ratio is great at 50C/30P/20F (same as previous weeks)

Today I weighed in & it read 242. A 2lb gain? Guess the honeymoon's over.

It's insane. There is no way that should've happened. I had a 1000 calorie deficit a day, more on the swim & hike days.

I know what it is. Today is the first day my "aunt" came to visit and I feel like a freakin' whale. I can actually feel the bloating in my thighs & stomach.

I also realize some of it is probably muscle.

I'm not going to quit. I can't quit. Other than the PMS symptoms, I still feel great. Yesterday's hike was such an accomplishment. I hiked that far last summer, but when I was done, I was covered in sweat, my knees & legs trembling, & hurting all over. This year, after just 3 1/2 weeks of constant walking & other exercise, I just felt so much better when it was over. I was still tired, but I know that as I get stronger, I will be able to do more.

So this isn't a discouragement to quit. But it's so aggravating when my body is not behaving itself! And since I'm already ill because of the PMS, it just makes me madder at the scale.

I'm going to keep pushing. I'm taking today off to try to deal with the cramps, then tomorrow I'm swimming another 2 hours. I'm going to hike so more on Monday & hit the treadmill T-Th next week. Hopefully next Friday brings better results.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

Oh, mstaff4564 I sooo feel your pain. I had my little visitor a week or so ago and that week I didn't lose a thing, in fact for most of the week I was up. Anyway you have the right spirit about not quitting. Your body is just taking it's sweet time in catching up with your new life style. Keep at it and you'll be a very happy woman in a week or two, cause you'll have a couple of really good drops. Just give it time, maybe you need to set-up a list of rewards you'll give yourself when you hit those goals? Something to look forward to, something to work toward.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal
LOL Almeeker, I have never really liked ice cream. Nor do I like cake or pies. I was a chocoholic. And then skittles. My big downfall is pasta, perogies, fried food, and did I say pasta?? At one point in my life I was so addicted to choc. I had to have a pound of M & M's a day. Thankfully, I got over that but then found Lindor truffles and Ghiradelli choc. I have done really well avoiding candy the past few months which is no small feat since I live near Ferara Pan Candies factory and outlet store. :-( You can smell all the different candies they are making in the air all the time. I also live near Turano's bread bakery/factory and the smell of fresh baked bread is killing me.

As I said previously, I am very discouraged that even though I am losing inches, my scale isnt dropping nearly fast enough for me. I have lost 30 lbs in 3 months and I realize thats a good amount, but I think the thing that really is bothering me is, last time ( many years ago) I lost a huge amount of weight, I dropped over 100 lbs in less than 6 months. So this just seems torturous to me. And yes, I do know that to lose that 1st hundred that quickly was not healthy.. I had gone anorexic and then gained it all back. So in the long run, I know this is the healthy way to do it, but I want to see the scale dropping more :-(

You all are doing fantastic!! Have a great / safe and fun holiday weekend.
I hear you on the crawling speed of the dropping scale. I've been hanging out around 157-161 for weeks. I can't seem to bust past this plateau and with all the birthday parties in June and now the holiday weekend, I'm just going to be stuck here forever it seems. I'm a chocoholic and carbaholic too, it sounds like we could hang and have lunch, minus the Skittles (I'm allergic to citric acid, so Skittles make me choke). I'm not much for cake either, but LOVE brownies. Pie is one of those things that is dependent on how it's made and the recipe, right now I have 4-5 quarts of fresh raspberries calling me from the kitchen, and I so very want to make a sweet butter crust pie shell and bake them UP! There is a French name for that particular crust but I can never think of it, the recipe has powdered sugar, egg whites, butter and ground pecans in it. It just melts in your mouth, one slice is never enough. Maybe I'll make low-sugar jam and sorbet with them instead, cause I could eat a whole pie right now, and that would be BAD.

It's a good thing I don't live in your neighborhood, or I would be like 600 pounds. Yummy smells kill me too, and to make it worse I have the nose of a bloodhound. I live near Subway, and it kills me, did you know they pipe the oven exhaust into the air on purpose, so you can smell the bread baking for like 1/2 a mile? And to make it worse, their bread never tastes as good as it smells. What is up with that?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Oh, mstaff4564 I sooo feel your pain. I had my little visitor a week or so ago and that week I didn't lose a thing, in fact for most of the week I was up. Anyway you have the right spirit about not quitting. Your body is just taking it's sweet time in catching up with your new life style. Keep at it and you'll be a very happy woman in a week or two, cause you'll have a couple of really good drops. Just give it time, maybe you need to set-up a list of rewards you'll give yourself when you hit those goals? Something to look forward to, something to work toward.
Thanks for the encouragement. The small rewards are a really good idea. Sadly, I won't have any extra $ for those small rewards until the end of August, when I get my student loans, but maybe I can scrounge up $20 or so for a mini-reward/goal between now and then. Non-food reward, of course. Maybe a cute little pair of sandals I could wear with some skirts to work when I hit 230. I just wear jeans all the time now, most of the time because I've been too tired to wear anything else, but also I don't have any shoes to wear with the skirts I do have.

On my old scale, it looked like I was back down to 240 this morning (maybe even slipping down to 239). But I ended up buying a new digital scale because the dial one is driving me crazy and won't sit still to get an accurate reading. The new scale, of course, can't give me a consistent reading either, which drives me nuts, but it looks like I'm at 242 on the new scale. I think I'm going to switch my weigh-in days to Mondays, that way, I can avoid most of the TOM bloating and won't have a nasty reading every 4 weeks.

I'm not too stressed about it, that's still 10 lbs in 3 weeks, so I'm still on track. Like you said, hopefully I'll have a good drop next week.

I also noticed, when some of the bloating went down last night, that my shirts are a little looser and I can definitely see a difference in my waist and chest. So I'm thrilled with that as well.

I was up at 6 this morning & feeling much better. I grabbed a breakfast of eggs, watermelon, & some milk, and I'm ready to pull on the bathing suit & swim for a few hours!

Last edited by mstaff4564; 07-03-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:47 AM
FitDay Member

Non food rewards don't have to cost money. Lizzycritter made one of her goal rewards "dancing nekkid on the bathroom scale". You could do something really cheap like buy a new bottle of nail polish and invite a friend over for an informal "mani-pedi" party. There was another poster that gave herself the amount of the loss as cash for a reward, so at 10 pounds lost she bought something that cost $10 and at 20 pounds lost, a purse that cost $20, so forth and so on. Actually that's a plan that makes a lot of sense, because the more you've lost the more new clothes you need anyway. Good luck and give Auntie Flo the boot as quickly as possible.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:54 AM
FitDay Member

You might try a digital scale. I got mine at walmart.com and love it. I looked to see if I could tell you which it was, but it isnt there anymore. However, there is one called Taylor ultra thick.. holds up to 430 lbs and all the reviews are excellent. Best thing is, its only $20.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal
You might try a digital scale. I got mine at walmart.com and love it. I looked to see if I could tell you which it was, but it isnt there anymore. However, there is one called Taylor ultra thick.. holds up to 430 lbs and all the reviews are excellent. Best thing is, its only $20.
I have a digital scale I got from Walmart, it's a Weight Watchers scale and it is fantabulous! It can be programmed for up to 4 different people, keeping data like gender, age and height and then (this is the good part), it actually can tell your weight, body fat % AND your % of water weight. It's uh-mazing, all for the low, low price of $20.

This week is wonky, to say the least. I weighed in Thursday at 249, Friday, 246 and this morning 242. This is um... strange and I am too afraid of it being kooky water weight to get my hopes up that I have actually LOST 7 pounds in 2 days.
But, I also have heard a little bit about "set points." They are weights your body gets stuck at (plateau) because (theoretically), that was the weight you were at some sort of developmental milestone. So, your body kindof "programs" that this is an appropriate weight for you and stops losing. Now, I would say that the 260's and DEFINITELY the 250's were set points. I lost so little and had to fight for every single pound. I remember losing from 334 to 307 without hardly having to blink and eye... then creeping through the 290's, whizzing through 280s... etc.
Perhaps my 240's are going to be a speed through for me, which is scary because I know that means my 230's are going to be pure hell. LOL, I can't believe I am going to be 230 pounds... wow.
On a very pleasant note - I heard through the grapevine that my family had a pow wow about me last night. My SO, kids, cousins, sisters, neices, nephews, aunt and my mom were all there (I didn't know, I was working out). Basically, I guess what went down is that they all started telling my mom how amazing I look and pulling my latest pictures from Facebook. They kept saying over and over again - look at her cheek bones, her collar bones... she's GORGEOUS... but my mom never budged...no change, she couldn't see it.
(For those of you who don't know me - I have lost 188 pounds and my mom says she can't see any difference in me).
This morning, I go over to her house to pick up my eldest from spending the night with Memaw and my mom (in a room full of people) says, "You are looking fantastic, really amazing... great job." I thought I was going to pee my pants! Everyone in the room just kindof stared at her, dumbfounded. So, progress is being made on all kinds of fronts.
Happy 4th you guys! You are all beautiful sparklers!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:40 AM
FitDay Member

Although it is very frustrating to have your mother ( brother , father, sister) refuse to acknowledge your hard work, be happy and encouraged others do.

I am sure it took a lot for your mom to actually see the difference, it has to be hard for some parents... who are used to having an overweight child, they go through frustration of wanting us healthier, anger that your different from most other kids, and finally resignation to the fact. So when you start losing, they truely do not know how to deal with you as a motivated person who is getting thinner and more active.

Growing up, my father made it abundantly clear he did not want a 'fat kid'.. and I will never in my life forget this... one day ( I was 9 at the time) I had made dinner.. swiss steak, taters, corn and pineapple upside down cake. It was my 1st meal I had ever cooked and was so proud of myself. Things were going ok until I asked for 2nds. My father jumped up from his seat, grabbed my realllly long hair and as I cried out from shock and pain he started shoving all this food into my mouth telling me he didnt care how long it took, I was going to eat everything on the table. He went on to tell me he hoped I died from it. Years later when I had actually gone anorexic, he refused to acknowledge I had lost over 100 lbs. So I think its a mind-set of some sort.

So I am glad your mom did finally see it, but even if she hadnt, you are still special.. you are doing a fantastic job with your new lifestyle ( I hate the word diet) and others see its making a difference too!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default happy holidays to all

happy birthday to my canadian friends and happy 4th to the US friends

had a decent week, not as healthy as i wanted, but didn't gain any back , just was able to maintain. it is really hard once i got off plan to get back on that old mustang lol. it really is a bumpy ride- just hold on and try to ride out the rough spots.

congrat to all that lost weight and inches this week- it really is a motivating factor to read how well you guys are doing and helps me stick to it. have to bump up my exercise this week as well and do a much better job on cutting the snacks.

having a cookout with friends tonight and going to try to stick with mostly veggies and a burger with no bun. hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 AM
FitDay Member

Skinny, I'm so glad to hear that your mom FINALLY complimented you on your weight loss! Yay, people can change!?! Although I'm sure she's still a PITA in many other ways.

Gamegal, that sounds like a pretty traumatizing and scarring experience. It seems like you must be a strong person to be able to keep it in perspective and move on with life.

My parents never forced food down my throat, thank god. I feel like my dad was constantly telling me to "put the cookie down" and he would tell me when he thought I'd eaten enough--which really pissed me off. It was somewhat traumatizing to me as I remember this vividly. I also remember a lot of anger towards him for always watching what I ate. I think I might have been a bit on the over-sensitive side though. I think what it comes down to is that he is overweight. I don't know how much he weighs but he has a good amount to lose. His whole family has weight issues and he was hoping that my sister and I wouldn't so he was trying to help us by telling us not to eat so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.