FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   No more jiggling July .. 100 plus ladies (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1450-no-more-jiggling-july-100-plus-ladies.html)

ChunkyDunk78 08-03-2010 06:00 AM

mstaff- awesome weight loss!

as to the pedal exerciser... that kind of movement with my legs would probably make me back hurt more than ever before... It's weird... its a lower disc that was herniated... the pain wraps around my hips and pelvic area, into my groin. ouch.

almeeker 08-03-2010 06:20 AM

I'm glad I bopped in for a lookie see, everyone is doing so well that it's motivating me to behave myself. Lately it's all I can do to cling to the very back end of the diet wagon by my torn and ragged fingernails as it goes bumping along down the rocky weight loss road. But I'm determined to be determined again, and there's no stubborn like mama with her mind made up. Seriously, why is it that I can lose 90 pounds, but can't shake the last 35? This part should be the cherry on top, a piece of cake, a barrel of monkeys, easy peasy lemon squeezy - but it isn't, it's harder than ever. Argh!

WeightlossBoo 08-03-2010 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78 (Post 17563)
mstaff- awesome weight loss!

as to the pedal exerciser... that kind of movement with my legs would probably make me back hurt more than ever before... It's weird... its a lower disc that was herniated... the pain wraps around my hips and pelvic area, into my groin. ouch.

Mmm, have you tried some light hand weights? You can sit in a chair and just work your arms, chest and shoulders. It will come to the stage where dieting alone probably won't be enough to maintain your losses, and it'll be a good idea to start toning especially while you're seeing major drops on the scale. :)

smooshmcsmeesh 08-03-2010 06:32 AM

Hang in there Almeeker. =)
I heard the last few pounds are always the hardest to shed. But don't get discouraged... look at all your amazing success! Wow 90 lbs. lost? That's so awesome! While the last 35 might take a little longer, you most definitely can do it.

As for me, I know adding a little bit of exercise is going to help a lot... since I've been doing zippo before. I'm just so eager for changes to start happening -- I've always been pretty impatient -- but I know that it takes time. So I'm hoping I can maintain my excitement & motivation to reach my longterm goal.

I am scared a little. I usually achieve a bit of success then lose interest. But this is really important to me... and while I feel it always has been, I just haven't been putting forth the effort. I know what needs to be done, now I just have to do it!

THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT! :)

Pixie5477 08-03-2010 10:16 AM

I need advice where to shop for good running shoes. I have been told to try Sport Chalet & Sports Authority. anywhere else I should try? I'm looking for a good deal on New Balance 1064.

ChunkyDunk78 08-03-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie5477 (Post 17595)
I need advice where to shop for good running shoes. I have been told to try Sport Chalet & Sports Authority. anywhere else I should try? I'm looking for a good deal on New Balance 1064.

Lots of people swear by East Bay, but I found these:

New Balance 1064 Women's Running Shoe White/Blue/Green | FinishLine.com ($89)

Buy Womens New Balance 1064 Running Shoe at Road Runner Sports ($98)

Sports authority: New Balance 1064 Cushion Running Shoe Womens - SportsAuthority.com ($129)

mstaff4564 08-03-2010 02:36 PM

Question: Since we're in August, does someone need to create a new August thread?

almeeker 08-03-2010 02:46 PM

I'll do it, if you are reading this post go to the next one called "Awesome in August... 100+ ladies", to post a note.

christineval 08-03-2010 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by mstaff4564 (Post 17282)
I'm not sure about the Step 5 number, but I'd focus on the range of 137-162. That's really strange that you are blowing by that number so quickly. I have to sweat pretty good to get to 140-150, and my weight's been coming off fairly well.

I would definitely go talk to a doctor before doing anything else, and maybe he/she can help you figure out what your target heart rate should be. I'm no expert by any means on the subject, but I know that going too high for too long can be bad. I don't think you're doing that, but you might be in more of an "endurance" range rather than weight-loss.

Until then, you should definitely keep on exercising & food logging. If anything, bring those logs with you to the doctor to prove that you are doing what you need to do to lose weight, but it's not coming off like it should. There are numerous reasons your body could be feeling stubborn about. I'm crossing my fingers that you figure it out! I know that the weight is not coming off as fast as you'd like, but think of how much stronger & healthier you feel than when you first started. I mean, using the elliptical with that level & speed? That is amazing! I know there's no way I could do that right now.

Welcome to maryann1950! Glad to have you with us!

As for ChunkyDunk78 & WeightlossBoo....5lbs? Fantastic! Way to start off the journey with a bang. I'm so proud of you two.

In fact, I'm so proud of everyone on this thread. For all the plateaus, slow losses, off-plan days or weeks, and beginners and veterans on this road, I think you are all so awesome for sticking with your healthy lifestyle through both the bad & good times. You are an incredible group and I so look forward to seeing all your goals & accomplishments met!

The TOM symptoms haven't been as bad this month, so I'm hopeful that these new BC pills my OBGYN prescribed for PCOS are really helping. I didn't have the bloat that usually comes along with TOM. In fact, I've dropped 3 lbs so far this week. My official weigh-in isn't until Monday, but the daily weighs have really made that weekly weigh in less anxious. I think if I wind up with only a 1.5 or 2lb loss, I'll be happy.

ChunkyDunk78 , to answer your question about the amount of loss dropping, I've had a weird past few weeks, but it's went like this for me so far:

Week 1 & 2: -5 each week
Week 3: -1.5
Week 4: -3
Week 5: +1
Week 6: -1.3
Week 7: (Maybe -3?)

I've kinda been all over the place, really. I thought that with Week 6, maybe I had finally gotten to the point where I'd only see a 1.5-2lb loss a week, but this week is blowing that out of the water so far.

Hey

thanks for you message. I always say I am at fit girl trapped in a fat girls body lol. I have worked out at the gym since 2005 so I am used to workingout a lot which helps me to achieve those speeds and inclines.

I go on Aug 23rd to the Dr. so I was see what she says

christineval 08-03-2010 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 17204)
christineval, Man I just hate it when the scale doesn't show the effort you are making. I agree that it's time to visit the doctor. Also why don't you give us the low down on your average calories, your typical pie chart and how many calories you estimate the workouts to be burning, maybe someone has something they can offer. Are you getting enough water? Be honest now...

As for what I can offer on the rest of what you said. I think if you want to see the scale move you can't cheat for a while, not even on weekends. You are clearly a slimming turtle (who by the way beat the hare at the end of that fable - so hang in there). Also I am very hesitant to snack on hummus and whole wheat crackers. They are really good for you and I love them both, but they also pack a lot of calories and carbs (and possibly fats depending on the ingredients of each). If your body is efficient at hanging on to all that, it might be something to hold off on until you reach goal weight. You also might want to switch out the cereal for breakfast, again it's really good for you but carb heavy. If you love it and can't live without it, try eating just half of it and add maybe an apple and/or a can of tuna for the other half of breakfast. I don't know if carbs are your enemy, I'm strictly speaking from my own experience.

As for all that working out, I'm guessing that some of your scale stagnation is because you've been building up muscle mass, it may not show with the tape measure but it's there all the same. Maybe you need to mix it up a little, add some yoga or calisthenics or running once a week, get those muscles confused. Weight lifting drives me nuts, it's really hard and I sweat like mad, but it doesn't burn nearly the calories that running does, but I know that I need it all the same. Also I would guess based on the fact that you get up over your target HR, that you're still ramping up in the cardio department. I only say that because 3 years ago when I first started using the elliptical, my HR was up over 200 within the first few minutes of the workout, but now that I've been on it almost daily for the last 6-7 months, I never get above 150 and that's at a full out trot for 60-75 minutes (which would have put me into cardiac arrest in the beginning). Don't get discouraged, all in all you are much better off now than you were the end of February, 9 pounds gone forever and some serious improvement in your overall health, some of which you notice today and some of which you'll get to enjoy when you're a sweet little old lady...

Thanks a bunch