FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Protein g per lb body weight? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1439-protein-g-per-lb-body-weight.html)

alice6065 06-29-2010 09:17 AM

Protein g per lb body weight?

I'm getting about 20% protein out of my calories. I guess 30% would be better, but what about number of grams per day? Someone on here mentioned a formula based on body weight for how many grams of protein one needs, but now I can't find it. I don't want to strain my kidneys with too much protein to process, but I do want to be sure I'm getting enough.

Luckygir15 06-29-2010 10:54 AM

I just met with my gym's trainer manager for help with my nutrition and he wants me to UP my protein a ton and reduce my carbs!

Basically his formula for figuring this all out was to take the amount of pounds of lean mass you have. (Just subtract your body fat percentage) So mine is 120 pounds. Then multiply that by 10 calories per pound to get 1200 calories/day

Then he calculated
10 calories divided per pound 4 cals of protein
2 cals carb
4 cal fat

Protein= 480 Calories = 120 grams
Carbs = 240 Calories = 60 grams
Fat = 480 cal = 50 grams

I'm not going to lie, this seams completely daunting and unachievable for myself. I get maybe 40 grams of protein in a day...120 seams soo extreme!

This might not make sense, it doesn't even to me, but it's what I learned today!

Sorry if it was confusing!

elderwanda 06-29-2010 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Luckygir15 (Post 14731)
I just met with my gym's trainer manager for help with my nutrition and he wants me to UP my protein a ton and reduce my carbs!

Basically his formula for figuring this all out was to take the amount of pounds of lean mass you have. (Just subtract your body fat percentage) So mine is 120 pounds. Then multiply that by 10 calories per pound to get 1200 calories/day

Then he calculated
10 calories divided per pound 4 cals of protein
2 cals carb
4 cal fat

Protein= 480 Calories = 120 grams
Carbs = 240 Calories = 60 grams
Fat = 480 cal = 50 grams

I'm not going to lie, this seams completely daunting and unachievable for myself. I get maybe 40 grams of protein in a day...120 seams soo extreme!

This might not make sense, it doesn't even to me, but it's what I learned today!

Sorry if it was confusing!

I'm guessing that gym guy got his information from a muscle magazine.

It makes sense that if your goal is to build muscle, you'll want more protein than someone who isn't trying to build muscle. Personally, I am trying to build muscle, but I recognize that I'm a small, not-very-strong, middle-aged woman. I don't need mountains of extra protein because my body isn't going to turn it into great, hulking trapezoids;) no matter what I do.

The thing that confuses me is that I keep reading that the "average American" eats too much protein. I'm American, but pretty out of touch with whatever an "average American" is. I'm wondering how anyone can eat too much protein by accident. It's easy to eat too many doughnuts, but you have to work at buying/preparing/eating steak or chicken in large quantities.

Anyway, I can't answer the original question, but I suspect the answer is very individual. I find that if I choose very lean protein, I still need to add some fat, like olive oil, to cook it in, just so it's not too dry and disgusting to eat. I'm weird that way, I guess.

bobbienne 11-16-2010 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by alice6065 (Post 14720)
I'm getting about 20% protein out of my calories. I guess 30% would be better, but what about number of grams per day? Someone on here mentioned a formula based on body weight for how many grams of protein one needs, but now I can't find it. I don't want to strain my kidneys with too much protein to process, but I do want to be sure I'm getting enough.

I know you posted this a while ago...I did a search and found this...don't know if it is accurate but it seems reasonable.

How to Eat to Lose Weight | Gaiam Life

Luckygirl according to the formula on this site, you need 56-57 grams for your weight...big difference from 120...but I am sure your trainer knows more than I do.