Notices

My Addiction to Food

Old 06-12-2010, 03:02 PM
FitDay Member

Default My Addiction to Food

Hi Ladies!

I am 44 yrs old and have been overweight most of my adult life. After many unsuccessful attempts at dieting, I finally came to accept that I would not have success with my weight until I gave up alcohol consumption. For me, alcohol was a problem, where one glass of chardonnay led to 6 glasses of chardonnay, almost every night. Not only was the alcohol damaging my health but the added calories were putting me way over my daily calorie limit. In January this year I found an online group called Women for Sobriety and I stopped drinking alcohol. I am almost 5 months sober now.

I thought the pounds would fall off but soon accepted that I also have an addiction to food. It was easier to deal with my addiction to alcohol because I could give it up completely. With food, I have to learn to moderate. That is a real challenge! My plan is to eat three reasonable, healthy meals per day (without overeating) and either a small dessert or a small snack each day. Also, regular exercise.

I have come here in hopes of finding other women who like me who are tired of being overweight and determined to beat their addiction to food by committing to and sticking with a lifelong healthy eating and exercise plan.

I've lost 7 lbs so far. 93 lbs to go to reach my ultimate goal.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:49 PM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your sobriety. You have found a wonderfully supportive place to help you deal with the food problems. Enjoy the food you eat. Use the food calculator to learn more about what you're eating and identify what you want to change. Remember to laugh and enjoy life.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on sobriety! And for taking the step to manage your health.

All I can say is take baby steps so you don't get overwhelmed. Clean up your eating habits little by little (cut soda this month, switch to whole grains next month, etc.). And with exercise too, get up and get walking this month, next month work in some more intense cardio and maybe some light weightlifting to help tone muscles.

I've been on the road to better health almost two years, lost 55 pounds so far (so it's been very slow and gradual for me). I gradually got more serious about it (did more research on exercise and began to count calories, etc.) Don't be discouraged if others seem to be losing faster than you...do what's best for your body and keep at it. You will see the results and you'll feel great about doing it. And we're always here to motivate and help!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

Thank-you for your replies.

Wannabefitgirl, congrats on 55 lbs lost! I think that the slow and gradual approach is best for me too. As much as I want this fat off my body right now, it's more important that I learn to eat correctly each and every day for the rest of my life. I'm looking for a long term solution not a quick fix.

Alice6065, thank-you for the encouragement! I plan to stick around and use the forums.

It's great to be here!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, Susan. I too had a problem with alcohol consumption periodically while being in the military. I just decided enough was enough, when it continued afterward and I couldn't blame it on work and have stopped. That has been quite sometime.

I am in the 100 pounds group and there you will find all the love you need and information, but it is more than that, you will find support and although initially, it might be hard to jump right in there, I have only been there three weeks and I am just one of the crowd. We talk about our eating plans but we also talk about what is bothering us if something is pressing. I think that might be more of what you are looking for. Some are younger than you and I think one is about the same age as you. I think I am the oldest at 52. So, come and join us! We would love to have you.