Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Please help me with some enouragement and tips!  :) >

Please help me with some enouragement and tips! :)

Community
Notices

Please help me with some enouragement and tips! :)

Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Please help me with some enouragement and tips! :)

OK well today is my first day on fitday.com
i have already created my journal entry, figured out my weight goal, now all i need is some help and healthy tips!!

i am 19 years old
i currently weight about 219 pounds (i kno..thats really bad..)
i am about 6 ft. tall, but i havent grown for the last two years
and i want to weight about 137.
that would be my perfect weight. 135-140 at least.
i see alot of great stories on here about women being patient and workin hard to lose the weight, so if you guys could just help me a bit, i would definitely appreciate it!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome! Congrats on joining and posting. You're starting out on the right foot!

It might be easier for us to give help and healthy tips if we know what information you would like. Do you have questions about diet? Exercise? Motivation? There are lots of smart, friendly, and helpful people here...just let us know how we can help!

Best of luck!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:27 PM
FitDay Member

"I got myself a start by giving myself a start" -Madam C J Walker
Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fletch8502
Welcome! Congrats on joining and posting. You're starting out on the right foot!

It might be easier for us to give help and healthy tips if we know what information you would like. Do you have questions about diet? Exercise? Motivation? There are lots of smart, friendly, and helpful people here...just let us know how we can help!

Best of luck!

hmmm well i just need some help on how many times a day ii should exercise.
cause i have a wii fit so i like to play on that a couple of times. i lift weights about 100 times, jump rope for a couple of minutes, and have a couple of exercise tapes to help me stay motivated, but the next day i feel soo sore!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 AM
FitDay Member

I started off by tracking my intake for a couple of days, not dieting just tracking, which helped me identify my worst habits. Then I worked to get rid of them one at a time. That was really helpful for me, because before that I had no idea that I ate breakfast like 3-4 times every day.

Generally speaking I only work out once a day, but I do other things to get myself moving. Like I park my car in the lot as far from the door as I can get, so I have to walk quite a bit more. I wear wrist/ankle weights to do housework, and put my headphones on and tap my toes/shake my booty while I'm at it. I also carry a pedometer, so that I can make sure I've hit 10,000 steps/day. I used to struggle to reach 7000-8000, but now I routinely hit 15,000 without any extra effort. I take my kids to the park 2-3 times a week, where we used to just go once/week - maybe. I also don't count Wii as a workout, that's for fun, it just happens to be fun with movement.

Are you sure that you need to lose that much? At 6'-0" tall I would guess 219 is pretty close to a healthy weight for you.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:26 AM
FitDay Member

First, off congratulations on wanting to change. At 6 foot at 219, your current BMI is 29.7 which would put you in the overweight side of things. Yet, for your goal weight of 137, your BMI would be 18.6 which is on the normal weight range but the lower end (18.5).

I might suggest going more toward the 140s, but that is your body and BMI is not the ideal tool for everyone. I highly recommend not just jumping full steam ahead. Like the prevous post said, track what you eat. Figure out how many calories you're consuming and then take that down by 500 calories a day. -3500 result in 1lb of weight loss.

Also, do things slowly and let your body get use to more exercise. Almeeker is right about walking. We learned to walk before we could run.

G'luck
Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

wow! I wish I was that tall! My mother and sister are, but not me

anyways- 135 is what I am shooting for, and I'm only 5'6". 135 seems really really small for your height!

Try to be more active, and cut back on the processed foods- especially sugar! That's how I started- for the first few weeks all I did was cut out sugar and processed grains. I really put me in control of what I put into my body. Once you level out your bloodsugar, it really helps with the cravings! Lately, I've not been the greatest with processed foods so I'm cutting out sugar and white flour once again. It's MUCH easier the second time around and 36lbs lighter!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:45 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jillstillrules169
hmmm well i just need some help on how many times a day ii should exercise.
cause i have a wii fit so i like to play on that a couple of times. i lift weights about 100 times, jump rope for a couple of minutes, and have a couple of exercise tapes to help me stay motivated, but the next day i feel soo sore!
I usually exercise once a day for 30-60 minutes, 5-7 days per week. Some days if I'm really ambitious, I'll go to the gym in the morning, then do some kind of outside activity (walking, running, hiking, etc.) in the afternoon/evening.

It's awesome that you're already getting active! Good job! You might want to try increasing your cardio, though. Stick with your weights and the jump rope, but try adding some walking, running, biking, etc. Cardio burns a lot of calories, which will help the pounds come off! Oh, and like almeeker said, I just use WiiFit as a fun activity, not as a weight loss tool. =)

I know it's frustrating to be sore, but it's an essential part of toning up and getting stronger. As long as you're just sore and not in actual pain, you'll be okay. The week after I first started working with my personal trainer I got a cold, and my arms were so sore that I literally could not lift a tissue to my nose! I couldn't bend my arm that far because of the soreness! Thankfully, that initial soreness passed, and the soreness I feel now is just a good reminder that my muscles are still working and improving. Stick with it as long as there's no real pain and you'll see results!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 PM
FitDay Member

What I did was log my caloric intake for 1 week. After seeing why I was heavy I decided to change my eating habits. That should be the first thing you do. I cut all sodas and sweets and I started eating a little more protein and whole wheat products (no white bread, crackers, etc.) By doing those things alone I lost 5 lbs in one week. Then I started limiting myself to 1200 calories a day. I played around with my menu options and I found the right foods that are healthy and keep me fuller longer.

Then I started excercising by buying a dance DVD (45 min) and I'll do that once a week. I also walked 4 miles (today I'm on 7 miles) twice a week in the evenings when the sun isn't blazing (Miami sun). Soon I will be adding some type of light weight lifting so I can tone my loose skin a little.

I'm losing weight slowly but that's ok. It took me 4 years to put it on and 2 months in I lost 16 lbs so far. I'm a busy single momma of 3 so it's hard to get some "ME" time. It takes a while to get to know your body and your individual needs for successful weight loss.

I wish you the best of luck. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.