Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies >

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Community
Notices

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
One thing that I try to remember when I hit those icky plateaus is that eventually they are usually followed by a larger loss - so I use that thought to push myself harder in the gym and drink more water (I don't make changes to my eating plan typically) so that when I DO finally lose again, it's a whomper.
Unfortunately, I set all of my weight loss goals during my honeymoon phase. I figured I would continue to lose 5 pounds a week until the end of time, therefore I would be about 40 pounds lighter than I am right now... yea right. If you make the same mistake I did, just go back and readjust your goals so they are more realistic and you don't get disheartened.
That's great advice. Fortunately, I did some research and based my goals on an average loss of 1.6lbs a week. The extra loss does make me happy, but I'm going to try to remember that average loss the weeks that I don't lose as much or when I hit a plateau. I'll just keep in mind that the big drop weeks will make up for the plateau weeks and that I should keep working at it.

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
Did 8AM Bootcamp this morning, it was already 99 degrees... good LAWD, I am so gritty and sweaty... and I love it. Never thought I would be one of THOSE girls.
That is so awesome. I'm still trying to get use to the sweating thing. Being hot has never been a fun time for me, which is why I avoid outdoors in the summer as much as possible. But I still work up a sweat on the treadmill, and even in the pool. You'd think I'd live farther up north with my aversion to heat, but I'm still a Southern girl at heart.

Last edited by mstaff4564; 06-28-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker that is too funny about the guy whistling at you!! I had a goth couple in the bleachers watching me. I tried to say hi but they just ignored me. Another guy driving by yelled out his car window "good job"!!! It gave me a little chuckle. I was glad that he didn't say something rude or mean at least. I bought new running shoes today. Going to do some more laps tonight when it cools down a bit.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by christineval
WOW I am sooo jelous of you right now lol. I am 242 and want to get down to at least 150 (140 would be better). I get butterflies in my stomach when I even think about myslef down that low. Congrats again!
My goal weight is 120, I'm hedging elfin for height, so it's where all the charts put my ideal weight. Right now I wear maybe a 10 or a 12 depending on the cut, and I still have 35-40 pounds to go. Holy crap what size will I be when I reach goal? I get nervous too. But I'm not doing this to be the skinniest woman on the face of the planet, or some freaky hot mama, I'm doing this to be healthy. The funny thing is, I don't feel different, I just feel like me - with a whole lot more energy.

Originally Posted by mstaff4564
What great stories! I know first and foremost we should lose weight for ourselves, but it's got to feel so good when others notice your hard work too! YAY!
I did chuckle pretty good over the whistle, even if I'm probably old enough to be his mother and he was falling down drunk without his contacts in. Do you know how long it's been since I was whistled at? Geez, at least 12-13 years, which is really sad if you know that I worked in the construction industry for a dozen years. Of course I used to wear a hot pink hard hat that said "Boss Man" on the front of it, probably gave all the guys the heads up that I wasn't there to mess around.

Originally Posted by mstaff4564
That is so awesome. I'm still trying to get use to the sweating thing. Being hot has never been a fun time for me, which is why I avoid outdoors in the summer as much as possible. But I still work up a sweat on the treadmill, and even in the pool. You'd think I'd live farther up north with my aversion to heat, but I'm still a Southern girl at heart.
Guess what? When I was at my heaviest, I could break a sweat getting up off the couch in January. When I hit the 30-40 pound mark I started getting the goosebumps all the time, now I'm cold at least once/day and it's practically the 4th of July! This is the first summer in years that I've looked forward to, mostly because I just wanted to be warm again. So once you've dropped a few pounds, you may change your mind about the heat outside. Seriously, at least keep your heart open to the notion.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-28-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Susan8Less
Almeeker that is too funny about the guy whistling at you!! I had a goth couple in the bleachers watching me. I tried to say hi but they just ignored me. Another guy driving by yelled out his car window "good job"!!! It gave me a little chuckle. I was glad that he didn't say something rude or mean at least. I bought new running shoes today. Going to do some more laps tonight when it cools down a bit.
Very jealous over your new running shoes. I need some bad, but I live in a small town and generally have 3-7 kids with me at any given time. Shopping with them in tow, is OUT of the question, I can afford new shoes no problem, but I don't know if I can cover the damage they would inflict on the store... There is a place about an hour from here that specializes in running shoes, maybe I can get there on Friday. What kind did you get? If I had the slightest idea what I wanted, I could just go on-line and buy them, but I'm really out of the loop and I don't want another pair like the ones I have. They are really comfortable until I start running, and then my heels get numb and my big toes scream and cry.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM
FitDay Member

My internet has been out since Friday and he was just here to fix it. I haven't read all the posts that I missed yet. Just wanted to report my biggest weightloss thus far at 3.6lbs and I still lost by percentage with my son. He lost 5.8lbs this week. It was a close one though.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Very jealous over your new running shoes. I need some bad, but I live in a small town and generally have 3-7 kids with me at any given time. Shopping with them in tow, is OUT of the question, I can afford new shoes no problem, but I don't know if I can cover the damage they would inflict on the store... There is a place about an hour from here that specializes in running shoes, maybe I can get there on Friday. What kind did you get? If I had the slightest idea what I wanted, I could just go on-line and buy them, but I'm really out of the loop and I don't want another pair like the ones I have. They are really comfortable until I start running, and then my heels get numb and my big toes scream and cry.
Hi Almeeker,

I bought Asics Gel Nimbus 11. First I paid $189 but before I took them out of the box, I found them on clearance at :: Running Room Online :: so I ordered them there instead. Still paid $139 CAD ($115 USD). You can order them online and they'll ship them to you. I think it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a pair of shoes but like you my feet go numb and my toes hurt, etc, so I thought I better get something really good so I can be well equipped to start running. The sales lady convinced me that these are really suitable for me, cushioned and supportive, etc. I'll let you know how they are when I get them. I hope they don't take long to arrive.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM
FitDay Member

In response to running shoes... I wear Nikes, but every foot is a lil different. One thing that I found really helpful was adding insoles - I like the Spenco crosstrainer insole, but they have a bunch to choose from. They have a bit of arch support and a nice cushy insole - at $20, they're great. I definitely noticed an improvement in the way my feet/ankles feel after a workout.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the shoe info ladies. I haven't worn Nike in years. My feet are short and wide; you can get a short Nike, wide is another problem altogether, but I will give certainly look them over again. My SIL is a runner and she and I somehow or another have the same feet, and if one of us finds a great shoe we tell the other one. Anyway she gave me the name of her fave shoe store and she likes those Asics Gel shoes too. I've already warned my DH that I'm going to get some new running shoes and they won't be cheap. He found a really nice pair recently marked down to $40, original price was like $139ish. But I'll never get that lucky.

I am such a clutz. Last night I took my girls to the high school for swim practice, and while they are in the pool typically I get a really good workout at the gym or on the track. The weather was gorgeous, so I put on my headphones and headed for the track. On the short walk out to the track, I get my headphones caught in the string tie on my shorts, which is yanking them out of my ears. In the process of trying to untangle them, I take my eyes off the sidewalk, for just a second and end up stepping blindly off the curb into a small pothole. I'd like to say I did a swan dive onto the asphalt, but it was a belly flop. Ugh!!! Down I went, dropped my water bottle and watched it roll down and across the street into the storm sewer on the edge of the far lane. I actually lay there in the street for a minute, I hit my ribs hard enough that I couldn't draw a breath at first. But I eventually got up, brushed myself off and actually finished my walk.

So this morning both knees and both hands are bruised and scraped, my ribs hurt, my neck hurts and my shoulder got wrenched too. Thank heaven I managed to jerk my head up, there's no telling how bad my face would look if I hadn't. I'm also glad there were no eye witnesses and that I didn't get run over. I tell you what, this fitness business is brutal.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-28-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
My goal weight is 120, I'm hedging elfin for height, so it's where all the charts put my ideal weight. Right now I wear maybe a 10 or a 12 depending on the cut, and I still have 35-40 pounds to go. Holy crap what size will I be when I reach goal? I get nervous too. But I'm not doing this to be the skinniest woman on the face of the planet, or some freaky hot mama, I'm doing this to be healthy. The funny thing is, I don't feel different, I just feel like me - with a whole lot more energy.

I did chuckle pretty good over the whistle, even if I'm probably old enough to be his mother and he was falling down drunk without his contacts in. Do you know how long it's been since I was whistled at? Geez, at least 12-13 years, which is really sad if you know that I worked in the construction industry for a dozen years. Of course I used to wear a hot pink hard hat that said "Boss Man" on the front of it, probably gave all the guys the heads up that I wasn't there to mess around.

Guess what? When I was at my heaviest, I could break a sweat getting up off the couch in January. When I hit the 30-40 pound mark I started getting the goosebumps all the time, now I'm cold at least once/day and it's practically the 4th of July! This is the first summer in years that I've looked forward to, mostly because I just wanted to be warm again. So once you've dropped a few pounds, you may change your mind about the heat outside. Seriously, at least keep your heart open to the notion.
I am just scared because I dont seem to know how to lose this weight. You have figured out what works for you since you have lost so much so losing 30 or 40 more will happen. I just keep worrying since I have done everything I can think of and it is not working (I workout everyday at lunch doing 2x step, pump, 2x spin). My sister in-law (120lbs barbie, helps me a lot) says maybe I should think of eating chicken/protein, veggies and fruit and see if that works. But I do not think I would want to eat like that the rest of my life so it will not work long term anyway.

My husband and I got P90X and I really enjoy working out at night with him as well but even that has not done much. since the end of Feb I have lost 9 pounds with all this and watching what I eat. I am wondering if on weekends I am screwing it up for all week. I am not as strict on the weekends because we have frozen pizza thin crust(I dont eat the whole thing though) and alcohol.

I hope something gives soon because I can feel myself thinking about giving up soon.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by christineval
I am just scared because I dont seem to know how to lose this weight. You have figured out what works for you since you have lost so much so losing 30 or 40 more will happen. I just keep worrying since I have done everything I can think of and it is not working (I workout everyday at lunch doing 2x step, pump, 2x spin). My sister in-law (120lbs barbie, helps me a lot) says maybe I should think of eating chicken/protein, veggies and fruit and see if that works. But I do not think I would want to eat like that the rest of my life so it will not work long term anyway.

My husband and I got P90X and I really enjoy working out at night with him as well but even that has not done much. since the end of Feb I have lost 9 pounds with all this and watching what I eat. I am wondering if on weekends I am screwing it up for all week. I am not as strict on the weekends because we have frozen pizza thin crust(I dont eat the whole thing though) and alcohol.

I hope something gives soon because I can feel myself thinking about giving up soon.
I hate to say this, but I'm probably doing exactly what your SIL is suggesting. I'm not a big protein eater by nature either, but I've found lots of sources of protein that I like, chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, lean cold cuts, reduced fat cheese, eggs, bacon, nuts, Greek yogurt, lean beef, lean pork etc etc. I try to stay away from most processed foods, just because they tend to have a lot more calories then the same things do if I make them myself. Have you considered making your own pizza? I make it with turkey pepperoni, pizza sauce, part skim mozzarella cheese on top of a whole grain pita - it's pretty darn yummy. BTW a thin crust frozen pizza has about 310 calories per slice, so it's good you don't eat the whole thing, but chances are you are ruining part of your week by eating more than a slice or two.

Basically what I do is keep my calories to 1,350-1,650/day (even on weekends), my burn about 2,500-3,000 calories/day, keep my pie chart at 40% carbs (mostly complex), 40% proteins and 20% good fats, like the kind in avocados, nuts and olive oil. I also try to get in 6 hours/week of hard cardio and 2 hours of weight lifting and calisthenics. Good luck honey. Change is really hard, but if you're 100 pounds heavier than you want to be, I'm afraid it's probably the only way down. Just take it one step at a time.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-29-2010 at 05:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.