Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies >

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Community
Notices

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Old 06-25-2010, 03:17 AM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=almeeker;144 At my highest with, Chainge, I Qa 52. I am now 47 43 49
Old 06-25-2010, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Hello everyone! I'm 29 years old, and I've been using FitDay for about 2 weeks now.

The biggest motivation to start this change was that I've been struggling with PCOS for years. I always thought it just meant infertility & messed up hormones, but I recently learned it's more serious than that and even involves insulin resistance. Left untreated, PCOS can cause a host of other health issues. And after having both my appendix & gallbladder removed in the past year, I realized I'm not really all that healthy. I'm 5'5 and was 250lbs.

So on 6/11, I started making changes in my food. I've been ranging between 1500-1800 calories a day. I have settled on a 50-55% carb/25-30% protein/20-25% fat ratio.

With exercise...I started walking at work the week of 6/7, and now walk at least 2x a day 4 days a week (about a mile a day). I also get on my treadmill 3-4 times a week, walking slowly (2 to 2.5mph), but at a high incline so I'm still getting the cardio burn. The first 2 weeks of exercise were tough. I've struggled with extreme fatigue for years, even during high school when I was at 135lbs.

The decrease in carbs was hands down the biggest change I made. Just a few days of tracking my food before I started making changes showed I was eating almost 70% carbs a day. That + my insulin resistance was what was making me feel so crappy! I've probably been eating like that all my life (PCOS suffers can crave carbs), which would explain the fatigue. Now the carbs I eat are whole grains, veggies, & whole fruit (with just a little OJ in the morning).

I've had great results so far. I started out at 250lbs on June 10th. I lost 5lbs last week, and another 5lbs this week. This morning I weighed in at 240!

I'm a little nervous I'm dropping too fast, though. I don't want to get it in my head that this is going to be the same every week.

I've estimated that I burn about 2,600 calories a day without any exercise through Fitday and the Calorie Calculator. That would result in a 800-1000 calorie deficit a day just through food changes. I usually burn an extra 200-400 calories a day through exercise according to the activities calculator. That should only be about 2.5lbs a week, right? But yet I'm dropping double that. I thought it was just water weight the first week, but now I don't know.

Is this too much? Should I up my calorie intake? The problem is that I feel great. I have great energy, I'm sleeping better than I have in months, and my mood is better. I feel stronger. I can already feel a change in my thighs & calves and butt I think I can live with the changes I've made so far & not get burnt out. I don't really want to tweak with it if it's working so well.

Last edited by mstaff4564; 06-25-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Jay honey, are you okay? Did that wine get to your fingers? I've been taking muscle relaxants at night, so I don't dare type anything after 9:00pm. Have they gotten back to you about your fishy mammogram? Keep us posted. I had a cancer scare myself a few years ago and it was really stressful for several months.

A good friend of mine had breast cancer about 5-6 years ago. She was such a trooper, I'll never forget her positive attitude towards the whole thing. I know she cried for a couple of days after the diagnosis, but then it was like she stood up and said "okay what do I have to do to get well", and then went and did it. She had to have a bilateral mastectomy, and her surgeon used fat from her stomach to do reconstruction at the same time. She came out of that whole ordeal with a new and seriously improved figure. So when she went wig shopping she got 2, one for everyday that looked like her normal hair and a sexier one to compliment her new curves. She's been cancer free since her last round of chemo, and I have to think her positive attitude has something to do with that.

Skinny, I don't know if polar bears swim competitively or not, but there are crazy humans out there that swim in water so cold you have to break the ice off the top to get in it. Some folks just go in the water and they are called "Polar Bears", other folks actually dive in and race and they are called "Competitive Polar Bears". It's a frozen north thing, you CA folks probably wouldn't be stupid or bored enough to try it. But it burns up calories like crazy, because not only are you swimming, you are also trying to keep from freezing to death. Most of the time the polar bear events happen at the crack of dawn and either right after or right before (or both) the swimmers all get in a steam sauna. It's crazy stuff, I've never been an actual Polar Bear, but I've watched from the side lines a few times.
I am a little worried and I havn't told my family. I have gone through this before about eight years ago. It's not cancer that scares me, but the treatment. I want to go back to school and get my life re-started.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

BTW, I weighed 243.2 this morning. It has been a good week eating wise.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mstaff4564
I've had great results so far. I started out at 250lbs on June 10th. I lost 5lbs last week, and another 5lbs this week. This morning I weighed in at 240!

I'm a little nervous I'm dropping too fast, though. I don't want to get it in my head that this is going to be the same every week.

I've estimated that I burn about 2,600 calories a day without any exercise through Fitday and the Calorie Calculator. That would result in a 800-1000 calorie deficit a day just through food changes. I usually burn an extra 200-400 calories a day through exercise according to the activities calculator. That should only be about 2.5lbs a week, right? But yet I'm dropping double that. I thought it was just water weight the first week, but now I don't know.

Is this too much? Should I up my calorie intake? The problem is that I feel great. I have great energy, I'm sleeping better than I have in months, and my mood is better. I feel stronger. I can already feel a change in my thighs & calves and butt I think I can live with the changes I've made so far & not get burnt out. I don't really want to tweak with it if it's working so well.
Man, you gotta love the diet honeymoon stage. I wouldn't worry about the weight dropping off too quickly, unless you feel sick, weak, grouchy or have vicious PMS. In the first month I dieted I lost like 22 pounds, now it's coming off a whole lot slower. I think this is pretty normal for someone making both drastic diet and exercise changes in their life. Believe me in 2-3 months you'll be like "what happened, it was coming off so easily and now NOTHING".

Originally Posted by Jaybrodz
I am a little worried and I havn't told my family. I have gone through this before about eight years ago. It's not cancer that scares me, but the treatment. I want to go back to school and get my life re-started.
I hear you, what's worse the disease or the cure?

Originally Posted by Jaybrodz
BTW, I weighed 243.2 this morning. It has been a good week eating wise.
Awesome!!! Apparently you're not treating your health stress with food, very good. Another woman I know had a bout with breast cancer and her doc put her on a whole foods, all natural organic diet, for the rest of her life. So healthy eating is a step in the right direction, no matter the test results.

Well I gotta get going.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 PM
FitDay Member

Blech - I made a HUGE mistake... now I can't take it back... and the sad thing is I don't even regret it ... not one tiny bit, damnit. Guess I am a bad person afterall. Oh well, onward an upward.

So, today was an OK day - little low on water, but looking to fix that before bed. I was planning on going to the gym - looking forward to it even only to get a call from the owner of my company at 6 and say he was on his way because he needed to talk to me face to face NOW... um, ok... come on over, I'll text you my address. He stayed until just before 9, now kiddies need to go to sleep, my nanny is gone for the weekend (YAY!), so I had to catch up on all the momma stuff... now it's bedtime, so no workout. Other than that, no complaints.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default you guys rcck

thanks for all the encouragement and the advice, so i have been chatting to a new guy online this week- and we met for drinks last night. can't tell you the last time i had fun on a friday nite lol and guess what - he invited me out again tonight - what a boost to my self -esteem. he is really sweet so hope we can have some fun in my life for a change. your support gave me the will to stop being a doormat and opening the door to a new life.

the weight has been so-so, not exactly following my plan, but have gotten back to exercising and continuing our walks at work. haven't lost this week, but haven't gained either. more working thru my mental issues this week lol

love reading your posts- was cracking up at all the fun and good natured joking.

welcome new faces- these ladies are so great. feel free to share and you will ALWAYS receive support- i have found that changing my life, means changing more than my weight and the calories or exercise but to sustain it lifelong- had to deal with the reasons ( and that is an ongoing thing) that i felt i didn't deserve to be thin and healthy.

hope everyone has a great weekend

here's to feeling sexy yoo hoo
Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default New here : )

Hi all,
I just started FitDay yesterday, and I'm already really liking the forums, the tools, and the accountability. I appreciate the support that is evident here, and I'm looking forward to making some fitness friends and getting healthier together! I have a very long way to go, and this is just the kind of support I've been needing.

Have a great Saturday!!

Mary
Old 06-26-2010, 04:50 AM
FitDay Member

Man alive - I had my clock set this AM to go hit the gym before my SO had to leave for work - and leave me with all the kids - but I just couldn't get my lame sauce outta bed. That means double duty tonight - craptastic.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fittermom123
Hi all,
I just started FitDay yesterday, and I'm already really liking the forums, the tools, and the accountability. I appreciate the support that is evident here, and I'm looking forward to making some fitness friends and getting healthier together! I have a very long way to go, and this is just the kind of support I've been needing.

Have a great Saturday!!

Mary
Welcome Mary! This is a great place to start!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.