Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies >

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Community
Notices

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 PM
FitDay Member

Hey Erinn, My personal opinion, and I want to preface this by saying that I am far from knowing how to be a dietician so maybe I shouldn't give advice, but I think you should increase your calories. Just do it little by little so you don't shock the system.

I was reading "the fitnessista's" blog and thought of you when I read this post (pasted below, and here is the link: http://fitnessista.com/2009/07/i’m-your-bob/)

On Wednesdays, I usually eat more than usual because I teach two aerobics classes (spin and Zumba) at night. For the month of July, starting today, I’ll be teaching three aerobics classes on Wednesdays (morning spin, afternoon spin and Zumba) and two classes on Mondays (spin and Zumba) instead of my usual one class— I’ll still be teaching my one spin class on Tuesday. So on Monday and Wednesday, my fuel intake is going to have to increase to maintain my weight and protect my metabolism. I have spent the past two years working to repair a metabolism that I damaged from not properly fueling my activity levels.

Two summers ago, I spent the summer after graduation with the pilot in NC. We had been doing the long distance thing for a year while I finished school in Arizona and he lived in NC, so I wanted to spend some time with him before out August wedding. He worked all day, I couldn’t get a job knowing we’d be leaving in 3 months, and I didn’t know anyone in the squadron. So I killed the time during the day by hanging out at the gym, taking aerobics classes, doing weights, lounging poolside and drinking protein smoothies from the smoothie bar. I made a LOT of gym friends (who were active duty military or wives that didn’t work) and we would take yoga and step in the morning, then spin in the afternoon. Even though I knew I was burning a mad amount of calories, I wasn’t eating enough to support the activities I was doing—it seems like common sense, but not eating enough had NEVER been one of my problems! I ate when I was hungry and still had balanced meals and snacks, but it wasn’t enough for all of the exercising I was doing. My weight stayed stable –I think my body kicked into dancer mode, because I was used to dancing for 4-5 hours every day- but after we moved to Valdosta, my metabolism was seriously screwed up.

There was NO way I could maintain my NC fitness fun since I was working a full-time 70-80 hr/week (not joking) and had 1 hour in the morning to get my workout in (which, now I know is MORE than enough time for a good workout). I did 30-45 minutes of cardio and a little bit of weights every day, but felt like my pants kept getting tighter and tighter even though I was on my feet at work all day. It was definitely frustrating and I knew that I would have to repair my metabolism to stay at a healthy, happy weight and not have to restrict calories in the process.

Since I was still keeping a food journal at the time, each month I added more calories to my daily intake. Slowly, but surely, I have improved my calorie and nutrient intake to higher level, which supports the teaching, running and weight training I do, and have been able to wear the same jeans size in the process.

So for now, I’m going to add in some food to each meal and snack on Wednesdays (and eat more on Mondays) to make sure that I don’t damage my metabolism by eating the same amount and working out more. I learned the hard way that properly fueling your activity levels is SO important, because when those activity levels decrease it can be difficult to maintain what you’ve accomplished. After losing such a significant amount of weight, I was so afraid to gain it back…. I was used to feeling energetic, confident, and HEALTHY and definitely didn’t want to go back to the way I felt before.

It’s funny how nutrition can be such a balancing act. You definitely need to know your body, what works for you and what doesn’t. I always say that nutrition is an art and not a science, and this example fully proves that
Old 06-16-2010, 03:56 AM
FitDay Member

Skinny, I'm going to second that calorie thing, especially since you are doubling up on your bootcamps!!! Just do it gradually, an extra protein shake or a random can of tuna. I know you have issues with self control around carbs, so just use the low-cal foods your body is used to. If your calorie deficit is too high you can also put yourself into conservation mode, and one symptom of conservation mode is lethargy. Of course it could be something totally related to your medical condition too. But a can of tuna is way cheaper than another visit to the doc, so you might try it first? Just a thought. Gotta go the kids think they need to be picked up or something.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

Morning everyone!
I got an unexpected day off today and taking advantage of it..got laundry going..little cleaning and spending the rest of the day at pottery! Tonight I will go for a walk...and check and see if the pool is open yet at the ymca..thats getting frustrating! (little story here..the little guy I watch asked me yesterday if I went to the C.I.A. at lunch time...hahah..he meant the YMCA...I sure chuckled at that one)
Feeling like Im back on plan this week...scale is coming back down and cut out the sugars once again and no cravings so far! Jeez those are hard to beat arnt they? This morning I tried a new recipe (big surprise!! ) a flax seed muffin for low carbers...it was good and I think I can play around with it!
1/ 4 c ground flax seeds
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp splenda
1 egg
1 tsp oil
Add ins: I used some MrsDash spices,,but you can add fruit, berries, cinnamon, cheese, whatever your heart desires!
Put in straight edge mug sprayed with Pam,,,and microwave for 1 min..it works!! I made mine in a small dish Imade and it was perfect! You do have to like flax seeds to like this..more like a cornmeal texture then a bread texture! I ate mine with my omelette this morning! Filling...
Stitchergirl...ouch...its hard to watch your children suffer! Hope hes feeling good soon.
Erinn....maybe you should get checked out . You have lost alot of weight and things could be changing in your body.
Almeeker thats great news your inlaws are going to join you on the journey! You will be a great role model!
Egm that French toast sounds so good for your little guy!! Ive been making muffins and rice krispie square etc for the little ones..but Ive been adding applesauce (no sugar added) , some pureed veggies etc to them without them knowing. These kids do not eat fruit or veggies..so sad.
Christine I don’t like tracking either but it sure helps..and I know when I don’t its wayyyyyyyy too easy to let the calories creep up!! Ive been using mypyramid..its easier to use.
Ok im off to make some pottery here...Im excited to have a whole day in the studio! Im bringing some water and carrots to snack on...have a good day everyone!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all the warm wishes and thoughts for our little guy. The broken collar bone isn't slowing him down in the slightest, to have that energy again would be fantastic. I'm just heading out the door for a 2 mile walk, hope everyone is have a lovely day.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by egmdobbs
And I have to tell you guys about my "moment" last night. DH was gone at a work meeting, so it was just my 16-month-old and I for dinner. I made him some french toast with whole wheat, 9 grain bread, dipped in egg and cinnamon of course. Then gave him applesauce with no sugar added to dip it in instead of syrup. As he happily ate his very healthy french toast with a big glass of milk, I thought - "this is what it's about". My mom never really taught me about healthy eating. She taught me about dieting, about how you can't ever accept who you are, and that food is an enemy that you must fight but who most of time wins in the end - like when I would catch her up at night shoveling ice cream straight from the carton into her mouth. She has gotten healthy now and done very well with healthy eating and exercise, but sometimes I can't help but be resentful toward her for finally figuring that out now that my brother and I are grown up and have food and weight issues of our own. (Skinny - I know how hurtful a "mother's love" can be sometimes!) Why couldn't she be that kind of mom all along? Well, there's many reasons why, I know, but I guess all I can do is to do differently. I want my son to know only wheat bread, to know that fruit and vegetables come whole and not in a can, to know that dessert is as simple as peanut butter on celery or an apple. And for that to happen, I need to set the example that my mother never did. Sorry for my little diatribe - but I think I found the best motivation of all.
When I read this the other day, I actually got a little choked up, are we sisters? I don't remember another girl, where were you hiding in that house? Actually my mother is wonderful on so many other fronts that I don't resent her too much over this one failing. But seriously, when I got chubby in the 4th grade, my mother put me on a diet, drinking those horrible chalky nasty shakes 3 times/day, no food allowed. I look at my slightly chubby 8 year old and think to myself "thank heaven she doesn't have to live with grandma, or she'd be getting nothing but cold water and protein powder". I've made very subtle changes in the diet at our house, I encourage them to play sports (which my mother always discouraged), I get the kids outside at almost every possible moment, and guess what? It's taken 4 inches off my 8 year old DD's waistline since Jan 1. This is the way to do it, not copious amounts of strawberry protein powder.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:21 PM
FitDay Member

had to come back tonight and post a fantastic recipe I threw together tonight...it was sooooooo good I will definitly make this my summer go to meal.

Took some veggies I made on a shishkabob from last night and put them in a large bowl..(peppers, mushrooms,onions) ..then added some crumbled feta cheese,,,a splash of balsamic vinegar. Then I took a small container of brown rice that I nuked and added that to the mixture. Tossed it all together and ate it up!
For little calories this was so filling.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
When I read this the other day, I actually got a little choked up, are we sisters? I don't remember another girl, where were you hiding in that house? Actually my mother is wonderful on so many other fronts that I don't resent her too much over this one failing. But seriously, when I got chubby in the 4th grade, my mother put me on a diet, drinking those horrible chalky nasty shakes 3 times/day, no food allowed. I look at my slightly chubby 8 year old and think to myself "thank heaven she doesn't have to live with grandma, or she'd be getting nothing but cold water and protein powder". I've made very subtle changes in the diet at our house, I encourage them to play sports (which my mother always discouraged), I get the kids outside at almost every possible moment, and guess what? It's taken 4 inches off my 8 year old DD's waistline since Jan 1. This is the way to do it, not copious amounts of strawberry protein powder.
YAY FOR THOUGHTFUL, AWARE MOMMIES! I once asked, "mom, when did you and dad first realize I was obese?" They replied, "At your 7 month check up." WTF!? I see my daughter beginning to round out, and I just make little changes, extra veggies on her plate with smaller carb portions... a yogurt as dessert... an extra day of gymnastics added to her week... or a little more time spent in the pool. And she slims down in no time... I am so scared of my kids having to go through what I'm going through.
I had a heart to heart with my daughter about a month or so ago... I told her I was doing this so she and her brother wouldn't have to watch me die the way we're watching Memaw go. Now, this sounds terrible, but so are my mother's amputations, 6+ heart attacks, 2+ strokes, 2 different cancers... and uncontrolled diabetes. I also was honest with her -we talked statistics: she has 4 biological grandparents
4 over-weight if not obese
2 living with diabetes
1 already died from diabetes related heart failure (my dad at 43, not much older than I am now)
2 who have had multiple strokes
2 who are BARELY 60 and walk with walkers - they barely get around....
It's an ugly life, and we need to protect ourselves against it. I want to travel the world in my 60's, and spoil grandbabies... not have 1.5 feet in my grave.
Needless to say, we were both in tears, hugging and saying how much we loved eachother and needed this healthy life together. Now, she's asking to be a vegetarian... and all I can think is: "that's MY girl."
Old 06-17-2010, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
YAY FOR THOUGHTFUL, AWARE MOMMIES! I once asked, "mom, when did you and dad first realize I was obese?" They replied, "At your 7 month check up." WTF!? I see my daughter beginning to round out, and I just make little changes, extra veggies on her plate with smaller carb portions... a yogurt as dessert... an extra day of gymnastics added to her week... or a little more time spent in the pool. And she slims down in no time... I am so scared of my kids having to go through what I'm going through.
I had a heart to heart with my daughter about a month or so ago... I told her I was doing this so she and her brother wouldn't have to watch me die the way we're watching Memaw go. Now, this sounds terrible, but so are my mother's amputations, 6+ heart attacks, 2+ strokes, 2 different cancers... and uncontrolled diabetes. I also was honest with her -we talked statistics: she has 4 biological grandparents
4 over-weight if not obese
2 living with diabetes
1 already died from diabetes related heart failure (my dad at 43, not much older than I am now)
2 who have had multiple strokes
2 who are BARELY 60 and walk with walkers - they barely get around....
It's an ugly life, and we need to protect ourselves against it. I want to travel the world in my 60's, and spoil grandbabies... not have 1.5 feet in my grave.
Needless to say, we were both in tears, hugging and saying how much we loved eachother and needed this healthy life together. Now, she's asking to be a vegetarian... and all I can think is: "that's MY girl."
So if you were already obese at 7 months, who's fault was that? Ring ring, it's the clue phone. I'm sorry your mom is such a case. I've asked mine about it a little too, and she basically said that when I was a kid that I wasn't fat really, so much as a little pudgy and that my natural inclination was to stay indoors and be crafty. I have a hard time with some of that because I distinctly remember begging for dance lessons. But they were an added expense, and my mom would have had to leave work early 2 days a week to get me there. Which really would have been easy enough since she was the boss and made her own hours. When I gently pointed that out, she told me that the other reason was that I was desperately uncoordinated and they didn't think that I would having the dance instructor on my case all the time. Really? Because seriously, I don't recall being uncoordinated and even so, dance classes might have helped with that a great deal. It's really too bad about that, because since being an adult I've taken dance and learned that I actually have some skill at it and quite love it.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:57 AM
FitDay Member

I remember in the 3rd grade, IronKids Bread came to my school and did an assembly on the IronKids Triathalon... I was so pumped up (and 100 pounds!). I went home and asked Mom if she would help me get ready (it was in 6 months), she said (and I quote), "Honey, you're a big girl... you're never going to be athletic, and you're never going to be a shrinking violet, and girls like US just need to accept that."
Well... I begin my Tri-training this Fall.
Our parents have a lot of reasons, and I bet it's due to the recent pop-psychology craze to blame everything on our childhood (which has it's roots in truth just as much as victimhood). It sucks that you're mom put all those limitations on you - when setting you free was most likely the healthier solution.
Again, thank goodness our kids won't be doomed to our futures... nor will they be force fed watery protein and deprived of FOOD! WTF is that!?
The one diet my mom put me on was the.... B... something or other. I just remember we couldn't eat anything. I got to below my healthy weight, but was so starved that I actually would STEAL food from my friends' houses... and apple with some peanut butter in fact (I remember it well). Sick sick sick.
My mom is a case - but all those issues have made me (at least in MY own mind), a much better mother and wife. Ultimately I feel very sad for her, and wonder what she thinks about at night, right before she falls asleep.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 AM
FitDay Member

Wow - I come back after 2 days away (busy, busy, busy at work) and I see my "moment" sparked quite a discussion! I just want to say that I love you all. I have very few people in my life that I can share things like that with, and I'm so happy we're all here exorcising our demons together!

Christine - Congrats on the loss! I knew it would come together for you and you'd start seeing some fruits of your labor!

Patti - Your muffins sound interesting, I will have to try that! I'm always looking for different healthy breakfast options for me and the little guy.

Skinny - I agree about the calories. Your body has become a machine about burning calories, so if it burns, burns, burns, but doesn't have any fuel for the fire, it will burn out!

Well, my week of work lunches is almost done. Tuesday was pretty good, Wednesday not at all (no healthy options and by the time lunch rolled around I was starving since it was later than usual!), and today was ok. Could have done better, could have done worse. I weighed in today and lost another .6 pounds, same as last week. I really want to lose it faster, but these last two weeks have been icky (a yeast infection, a really bad case of PMS thanks to going back on birth control, an Aunt Flo that just won't go away, and lots of work obligations that involve food - plus the weather here has been so off and on that it's put me in a funk). So I need to SNAP OUT OF IT and get my groove on. I'd like to lose 20 pounds total by my birthday, which is exactly a month from today, so I think 6.4 pounds is totally do-able in a month but I need to work at it harder than I have been. I'm going to come back on here in a minute and post a recipe that I tried last weekend that was so good I think I will do it again this weekend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.