Notices

yoga/pilates

Old 05-28-2010, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default yoga/pilates

Has anyone attended these classes for weight loss? Have they been successful for you? I am trying to fit one hour a week of yoga in my schedule because my physician suggested it's really good for you? What do you guys think?
Old 05-30-2010, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

Hiya myrasalman i have the same question as i have wii fit plus and i havent really got started yet. Theres loads of yoga on there but i dont understand what the benefits are with this sort of exercise. Hopefully there will be some ladies out there to help with our queries. Good luck with everything on your journey!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

Hi! Yoga and Pilates won't help with weight loss, but will give you muscles you never knew you had, and flexibility and general good health. It is also great for stress. Pilates especially is great for strength, I think. I find them wonderful. Losing weight and not strengthening and exercising is really not a healthy solution, physically or emotionally. So I say, try it! Good luck!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

thanks sharon thats helped alot. Id like to tone up as im losing my final 2stone so im going to get started with it and see how i go. I also suffer with stress pretty badly so if it helps keep me calm and positive then its definately worth a shot. Thanks again
Old 05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
FitDay Member

Pilates will kick your butt, and it will help you fit into a smaller pants size because it strengthens the "core" muscles around the abdomen and back. It also helps your posture. Yoga is great for stretching, adding strength and flexibility, and easing life's aches and pains. I've been doing both for a long time, and really enjoy it.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

Yoga will kick your butt too. I used to take this exercise class and every now and again the instructor would toss a little yoga into the mix, and I would break a sweat and feel every bit of it the next day. Good stuff that yoga business. I've never tried pilates, but a friend of mine that is getting a hump in her back started doing it and ta-da, the hump is fading.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

I am with Lizzy on Pilates...the core work is very effective. It's a good workout for me when I've overdone on a previous day but don't want to take the day "off,;" overall a nice stretchy routine that works your muscles more than you think. I have a DVD that uses a resistance band for an arm and leg workout in addition to the core exercises and I really like it.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:21 AM
FitDay Member

I've done both and have had great workouts doing both. I have less back and neck pain when I do yoga and both give a strong core. Pilates is a lot more focused, and I had rock hard abs when I did it. Yoga made me feel good, strong, flexible and relaxed. I would go to a yoga class feeling like I didn't want to go there and come out feeling like I was so glad I went. The type of yoga class can make a difference too. I found power (ashtanga) yoga the best workout for me and there is hot yoga and a few others. Some are meant more for relaxation, some for flexibility, some for a whole body, mind, spirit connection.

As for exercise, they are great, they just don't give you a good cardio workout and won't burn as many calories as cardio. They do give you a good strength workout though.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:25 PM
FitDay Member

Yoga is an excellent form of exercise. I love yoga and find once a week does make a difference. It stretches, elongates and helps your body get rid of yucky stuff and keeps you regular. Yes, it also helps with weightloss by helping you focus on your body and what it is telling you...like it's full!!!!