Notices

Hi, I'm Sarah

Old 05-23-2010, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi, I'm Sarah

I'm 22 years old, and gained a lot of weight in freshman year of college, getting up to 215 pounds. I slimmed down to 165 in 2008, but was still overweight for my height of 5'7". When I went back to my OB/GYN in November of 2009, I realized that I had put practically all of the weight back on. She was shocked and asked if I was pregnant.

I couldn't believe I had put on 40+ pounds in a year. So, now I'm working to get down to 135 pounds, I started yesterday weighing 208.8 pounds, so I have quite a ways to go. I'm hoping to accomplish this goal by the end of the year, but hate exercising because it can be repetitive.

Any ideas on FUN and DIFFERENT kinds of workouts? I really want to stay motivated, and have started doing the WeightWatchers diet.

Also, I kind of wanted to maybe start or join an online Biggest Loser type group. Does anyone know of any?

I need to get back in shape!

--- Sarah

Last edited by Sarah159; 05-23-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:23 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Sarah, welcome here! I think you'll find that there is a lot of support here.
As far as exercise goes, I've been doing the Couch to 5K program (there's a thread over on the exercise board with a link) which is a 9 week running program. I've had success with it. I can't really comment on much else since that's all I've been doing up till now but I'd like to start strength training, but don't want to do it in a gym or buy a bunch of expensive equipment. Hopefully more suggestions come in!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:05 AM
FitDay Member

Couch to 5k? I think I may have read something similar to that in an article in the current issue of Self Magazine and was going to try it out. But I'll definitely check out that exercise board. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:42 AM
FitDay Member

I've also been doing something akin to the c25k program, but I do it without any specifics. I am trying to to 3.1miles every time I get on the treadmill (shooting for 3xs a week). I try to run (at 5-5.5mph with a slight incline) for as long as I can and walk when my I need to catch my breath and get my heart rate down. The first time, I walked for a minute, ran for a minute and did 5k in 43.5 minutes. The second time, I ran a bit longer intervals (1-2 minutes between 1 minute walking) and upped my walking speed and did 5k in 41 minutes. I want to get to 40 minutes this week, but I'm going to florida for 4 days, so we'll see!

anyways! My point is, the challenge of it makes it exciting to me. I also am working on trying to do push ups and pull ups, so I've been working out my arms a lot, and am starting to see a difference! Knowing I can push myself to accomplish my goals makes it more exciting. it's not JUST about the weight loss for me anymore. I want to become an athlete. Find what drives you. It also helps me to change it up- I take spinning classes in between, which are difficult but rewarding!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:16 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the advice! I also want to tone my arms a bit and develop more upper body strength, but have no idea how to do so. I have never been able to do a pull-up in my life, so that's definitely a goal. If anyone has any ideas on how to do this for BEGINNERS, that would be great. About to go try to do the C25K Day 1. I'll check back later for any other help!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Hi Sarah and welcome to fitday ive found the best support on here and i know you will too!! Im also doing the weighwatchers points plan and it helped me go from 16st 10lb to my current weight which is 11st 13lb (as from today). I no longer attend the meetings but do it at home instead. I too dont enjoy exercise-i have a wii fit but i just dont have the motivation. My goal weight is somewhere between 10st and 10st 7lbs which id like to reach by September. Good luck with your journey-stick with us and we can all get there together!
Tracey
Old 05-23-2010, 10:51 AM
FitDay Member

Took me a second to realize what you were talking about because I don't measure myself in stones. But good job losing all that weight. I hope you reach your goal and maybe we can figure out some fun workouts! Haha.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Hey Sarah

I just started trying to lose weight myself... I've been watching what I eat and found a friend to exercise with. One of my favorite exercises we do is upper body workouts. All we did was buy a DVD that has upper body strengthening as one of the workout options. It's nice because it has low, medium, and high intensity. We are both just starting out too, so it's nice to be able to select the lower intensity. It's fun to do, and I can see and feel the results without being overwhelmed and wanting to quit... Also, I bought a few sets of weights, just really simple, 3lbs. and 5lbs. It doesn't sound like much, but I learned very quickly that 3lbs. feels pretty heavy after a few minutes of working out, especially when you're just starting out... lol

So that's a suggestion, get yourself a workout DVD that has different levels of upper body and arm training... I really enjoy it, and it's fun to have a friend to do it with. I'm a little more motivated than her, but it's even more motivating to me to know that I have someone else depending on me to keep them going. lol It's nice to have the video to do at home, too. Like I said, we are just starting out too, so it's awesome being able to do the workouts in the privacy of my own home, especially those first couple times when you're sweating your butt off, saying you can't do it... lol
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Sara
My name is Linda and I have lost 50 lbs three times in my life and have always gained it back because I never changed my eating habits.
I eat for comfort and I know its an addiction but I am trying really hard to do this new eating plan the right way.
I also got a dog and we walk about a mile a day.
Just take it day by day.